Options

Not hearing back from possible employment

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Okay, so I had an interview for a Network Admin position last Wednesday for a credit union. Thought the interview went pretty good and was very interested in it as it sounded like it would be giving me some good Cisco experience.

Anyways, it's been a week with no response. I even sent a the thank you letter after the interview and no response to that. The only thing that keeps popping in my head was the last thing the VP of Information Systems said,"Good talking to ya."

Is it me or does this sound like they might have already decided during the interview that I was not going to be one of the final candidates and was done with me?

Thoughts?
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't brood on one job. Leave it and keep finding good places to apply at. If they come back and contact you that's great but no matter how good an interview feels there's always a chance that they just won't follow through. You may want to call them up and follow up on it since it has been a week.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's hard to read into those words on the Intarwebz. But, if it made you uncomfortable, then maybe that is the case. Sometimes companies take a while. My last job, I interviewed in February and wrote them off... I had a second interview in late March and wrote them off again... I started in mid-May and worked there for three years.

My current job, I was called thirty minutes after submitting my resume and talked for two hours. I later had a five hour phone interview two days later. They flew me out for a face-to-face three days after that and made me an offer the next day.

A job that a recruiter interviewed me about... they acted extremely urgent and said that they had a firm start date, and didn't get back with me until it would be one week before the required start date.

They are all different. Sometimes that is telling; that was the case for the first job I discussed. The boss had no spine and if there was ever any request or question that required upper mgmt approval, he would never ask and he would never get back with me. I found out that he wanted to hire an old buddy of his, but the senior programmer kept fighting with him to hire me. Being weak-willed, the senior programmer won the argument with his boss. Luckily for me, that boss didn't last much longer (though he had been there for five years at that time). He did manage to mess up our working environment by not standing up and stating that we should keep our workspace at least somewhat near the datacenter.... we ended up getting kicked out as he wouldn't put up any fight at all.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SIGHHHHH......Im in the same boat with many others. view my thread in "AM I IN".
  • Options
    MT0911MT0911 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, one week isn't that bad. Sometime it takes a while. On that note, most companies (9 out of 10) will call you as a courtesy whether you acquire the position or not. So if you have not heard back then they are either deciding or have decided and are just looking further into whoever they chose before they deliver the news. I think you are just worrying to much. It is good practice when applying for jobs to apply for more than one. You don't want to "put all your eggs in one basket". So shop around and float your resume. The economy might not be the greatest but there are jobs out there needing to be filled; you just have to have patience, and look around. Good luck man! Hope everything works out for you.

On a side note, nice C5Z icon_thumright.gif.
    CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA: Wireless
    In Progress: CCNP
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Okay, so I had an interview for a Network Admin position last Wednesday for a credit union. Thought the interview went pretty good and was very interested in it as it sounded like it would be giving me some good Cisco experience.

Anyways, it's been a week with no response. I even sent a the thank you letter after the interview and no response to that. The only thing that keeps popping in my head was the last thing the VP of Information Systems said,"Good talking to ya."

Is it me or does this sound like they might have already decided during the interview that I was not going to be one of the final candidates and was done with me?

Thoughts?

If it's any consolation I have had interviews over the years where I didn't think it went particularly well and I got an offer, and others where I felt it went well and heard nothing. The whole interview experience is rather hit and miss. There are people out there who are rubbish at interviewing people and often totally unprepared to do it thoroughly. The advice I give is to apply for things, interview, forget it and move along to the next one. If you are employable you get interviews. Once you get those eventually you will get an offer and then its down to you if you want to take the job.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah I'd take that as a no at this point and move on. If you haven't heard back from them in a week, I'd take that as a sign. I agree that you shouldn't "put all your eggs in one basket", and have a different state of mind. Basically do the best you can, and tell them why your great for the job. Once the interview is done, you need to "forget about it" and move on to the next interview. In almost all cases, when I was trying to get a new job, the job that I got, I did NOT get my hopes up, and focused on putting out more resumes, and lining up interviews. Hope that makes sense.

Bottom line is to go in there, sell yourself, but lower your expectations and not get your hopes up (which is hard to do). Eventually the right one will come along.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Sometimes it just moves reeeeeally slow. I have had interviews that took over a month to call me back for a second interview (usually I have moved on). Rarely do I hear back in a week now that I think of it, its usually at least 1 or 2.

Don't stress over how it went, as it really doesn't matter. They will call you back or they won't based on a MILLION reasons, many of which you have no control over, so just let it be. If it happens, it will happen.

edit

My last job took two months actually, and I was the only one called back. Especially in the summer, the right people take holidays and other projects get in the way. If its not urgent, they are going to take their sweet time.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As Turgon mentioned it is hit or miss. I switched jobs 3 months ago and the process was super smooth; 2 weeks from initial contact to job offer. My previous job took 2.5 months from interview to offer. The one before that was 3 months. I work under the idea that I will not be selected. That way I keep momentum going and keep the job hunt active.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I would move onto the next job interview, but it's very limited here in Montana to find any sort of IT jobs with the little 2 and half years of IT experience I have. I check the job boards daily and done see much, unless it's some Senior position that requires 10 to 15 years of experience and master's degree. So when something in my reach comes along, I jump on it.

I was thinking of calling the VP today to ask for an update. Would that look like I was begging for the job if I was calling a week after the interview? It's just that I really would like to get my network career in the process as I feel I am just wasting time in the current position I am in.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Calling for an update won't get you the job. Its not like they are sitting around going "who do we hire, oh theres my phone!". Not saying it will hurt anything to call, but calling doesn't make you look like a 'go getter', but rather just impatient.

Just give them time. For all you know they are on holidays (it is the summer). Maybe send an email next week or later.

I've been to Montana, things move extra slow there ;)
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Just to let you know the HR process is what holds things up. I remember I applied for a job and was one if their first candidates but they could not get back with me until a month later because in HR they require you to interview a particular amount of people, etc. Thats what she told me but she told me not to worry that typically the candidates they pick first are the ones who get the job in the end.

Of course this is not a standard but it happens quite often and depends how large the company is too.

You know what I did during that month? I applied for 15 other jobs just in-case others did not fall through.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

I would move onto the next job interview, but it's very limited here in Montana to find any sort of IT jobs with the little 2 and half years of IT experience I have. I check the job boards daily and done see much, unless it's some Senior position that requires 10 to 15 years of experience and master's degree. So when something in my reach comes along, I jump on it.

I was thinking of calling the VP today to ask for an update. Would that look like I was begging for the job if I was calling a week after the interview? It's just that I really would like to get my network career in the process as I feel I am just wasting time in the current position I am in.

Montana is not the place to be for IT. As you already stated, not much to choose from. Even when you do find something, the pay is awful. Lots of beautiful areas out there though. I lived out in Great Falls for 5 years.

If you can open yourself up to relocation, you'll find a lot more career opportunities. It will be really tough if you limit yourself to staying in Montana.
  • Options
    xxxooxxxxxxooxxx Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have the hiring manager's email. Send a follow up email, while mentioning your strengths again. I hate phone calls, so are most people I worked with. People might be in the middle of something and you would just annoy them. Email allows them to read and reply whenever they feel like it.

By the way, for my current job, it took me 3 months after the 1st interview until I get the offer.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Sounds like a tough market. You are probably best off putting a good cover letter together with your CV, tracking down all the IT related firms in your area and the large organisations and simply dropping by asking politely if you could speak to the hiring manager. Try the medium and small shops too, you might get a break that way. Alternatively pack a bag and take two weeks off work, go to New York, Washington or California, stay in a hotel with broadband and start hitting up all the agencies. Arrange to drop in and see them all in advance. Speak to 5 a day.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□

Thoughts?
    I wouldn't give too much thought on that one remark.

That said, it is certainly possible they have indentified a candidate, in fact, even before the job was posted. As I am learning, many posted jobs, the company has already decided who they are going to hire. The posting is usually a formality, to satisfy legal and company regulatory compliance.

Interviewing for a job seems to be like my dating experience; like going on a date, when it all went well, I clearly knew it, when it went poorly, I'm never told what the heck I "did wrong".
  • Options
    PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Interviewing for a job seems to be like my dating experience; like going on a date, when it all went well, I clearly knew it, when it went poorly, I'm never told what the heck I "did wrong".

LOL, i like IT.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    I wouldn't give too much thought on that one remark.

That said, it is certainly possible they have indentified a candidate, in fact, even before the job was posted. As I am learning, many posted jobs, the company has already decided who they are going to hire. The posting is usually a formality, to satisfy legal and company regulatory compliance.

+1
    Couldn't have said it better, remember they're looking also for a good personality fit as well, (even more like dating!)
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I experienced a similar scenario. Here's the story...

Interview scheduled from 10AM - 12 noon. At 12:30PM, the formal interview was done but the Manager wanted me to meet the Director of IT, but it'll be after lunch (around 2PM). They asked if I had any plans, I told them I did have plans but could wait. They showed me the data center and showed me the stuff that I'll be working on if I get hired. At lunch, we talked a little bit more about the position and more stories from the Sr. NE (Network Engineer). After lunch, the NE and I talked a little bit more while we wait for the Manager and the Director. The Director asked me pretty much the same questions what the Sr. NE and Manager already asked me. After the meet with the Director, he said we'll definitely keep in touch with you. When the Manager walked with me to the front door of the building, he said pretty much the same thing.

I left that building with a feeling that they really liked me. However, they're still in the process of interviewing people. The following day, you know the usual, I sent a Thank you letter. No reply from the manager. After a week of interview, I sent a follow up letter. No reply again. After 2nd week of the interview, I called the manager. Manager said he has been meaning to call me but been very busy. He mentioned that if I didn't get a call before the end of the week, then that means they already picked a different candidate. I though to myself that this job is gone! Two hours later, I received an email saying he forgot to ask me about my references. I was like, there's still hope. Two days later, I received an email asking to verify my Cisco certs. I sent him the Cisco link for verification. Friday before July 4th, I received a call from the manager and offered me the Sr. NE position.

It does take time for them to call you. As others have mentioned, move on to the next. If you're lucky, you'll have multiple offers in your hand and you'll have more bargaining power. I wish those companies that I've applied a month ago started calling before I accepted the other job. It would be nice to have multiple offers and pick the "right" one.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I hate when employers say they are looking to fill ASAP and then you find out a while after they are still seeing people. A major hospital did that to me before. Wtf?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Well, here it is. Another week gone by and not a word from any prospects. Some it's been almost 3 weeks. I just find it annoying that they might not find the 2 minutes to send a quick email with a status update. I have applied to 3 other positions other than this Network Admin, 2 of them 2 weeks prior to this!

What it does to me is make me feel like I have no qualifications and will be stuck at the job I am at now for years. I really hope this BS degree from WGU pays off!

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Gives me the motivation to keep going :)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, here it is. Another week gone by and not a word from any prospects. Some it's been almost 3 weeks. I just find it annoying that they might not find the 2 minutes to send a quick email with a status update. I have applied to 3 other positions other than this Network Admin, 2 of them 2 weeks prior to this!

What it does to me is make me feel like I have no qualifications and will be stuck at the job I am at now for years. I really hope this BS degree from WGU pays off!

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Gives me the motivation to keep going :)

Keep your tail up mate, tweak and flood out the resume everywhere. Maybe post your resume up on here and we can all dissect it to bits. And pound away at some certs while you look for that elusive job. Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Keep your tail up mate, tweak and flood out the resume everywhere. Maybe post your resume up on here and we can all dissect it to bits. And pound away at some certs while you look for that elusive job. Good luck! icon_thumright.gif

By jove, I just might take your advice and post my resume as it has crossed my mind a number of times in the past, just never took the time. As for the certs, there on their way from WGU as we speak!
  • Options
    zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□

I can fully understand that how you feel
    I am going through same situation http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/68318-how-ask-job-application-progress.html and the wait is really getting on my nerves
    If you don't want hire than say it so people can move on with their lives and don't have any false hopes!
  • Options
    timidobservertimidobserver Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my area there are a lot of layoffs. I know that over 150 people applied for the job that I currently have. It took them 2 weeks to get back with me after the phone interview and then 2 more weeks for them to get back with me after the in person interview. And... 2 more weeks to finally get the job offer.
  • Options
    Been hit and miss the past couple of weeks. Have been getting the generic emails from HR about how I was a exceptional candidate, but they went with someone else. However, had a phone interview today for a NOC Technician that went really well, but they couldn't afford to pay me as much or more than my current position.

I have a face to face interview tomorrow out of town for a System/Admin/Consultant position. Been doing my research and am very excited for this one as it's only a company of around 60 people and it sounds like they are growing.

Aside from that, I am waiting a 3 other positions to get back to me on whether I am a candidate for them.

I also applied to a NOC Analyst position and and IT Manager position that sounds out of my league, but hey, the worst they can say is no.

To all on this thread, keep on trucking, your bound to get one job or another.

Cheers
  • Options
    Well, the face to face interview I thought went extremely well. I checked out the company's site and was very pleased with all of the reviews I was seeing. They basically utilize the cloud for their support by taking businesses IT support offsite to manage, such as servers. Very heavy in Citrix Xenserver and XenApp. I think I would greatly benefit from this position.

The only thing that may hold me back would be salary. I am unfortunately in a position right now that I am not able to take a pay cut, so I would need at least what i am making now or more. Anyhow, I will be waiting for their reply towards the middle of this coming week, at which time I have an internal interview for a position on the Network Infrastructure side of my company, with a very nice increase in salary!

Fingers Crossed!!!!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's hard to figure out if its something you did, most of the time it might have nothing to do and is totally out of your control. You might interpret what the VP said as negative or they might have been tired, bad mood, what ever.

The job I am negotiating salary with now, I could not read the CIO for anything. I thought since he did most of the talking the interview went barely ok because he seemed out of it a bit. It was 5 pm though, anyways few days later HR tells me he really liked me and wanted to discuss salary offers.

I try to remember that even if every single candidate for a job interviewed at their absolutely best, the hiring manager has the final say so. There are so many things not in your control that you have no possible way to control such as other candidates or the person interviewing you just does not like you for some reason.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Good luck with the job hunting/applications, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken
  • Options
    So they company got back to me with an offer letter! Pretty stoked about the job. However, the salary is just a couple thousand more than what I am making now and the location where the job is at is a bit more expensive than my current location.

I emailed back from the offer letter stating what the cost of living is from what I found. The hiring manager emailed back within 15 minutes asking to call him.

I called and we discussed this a little bit more, with him offering a couple thousand more than the offer letter, right at $45000, where I currently make $41400.

So he told me to take some time and think it over. What I want to do is get back to him with an compensation of about $46100, $5000 more than what I make now.

How does this sound, or will I push them away?
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    but hey, the worst they can say is no.

you already said it yourself...I would go ahead and ask for that much if that's what you need to continue with your current life style and allow for some improvement
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures