Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ipSpace wrote: »
    Or, the weight are 20. 16 + 4:D

look at you, i like that as well!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Please tell me if this violates Cisco's NDA, but if not, is there a calculator available on the Written? I've been googling to find an answer, but haven't had much luck.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I just finished 2 rounds of boson in study mode, reading all of the explanations, and then doing a random Simulation style exam. It took me around an hour and I got a 96. I only got 3 wrong and when I reviewed them I realized I missed one on BGP attributes (1 answer was placed in wrong column on a chart), 1 wrong on OSPF network types because I missed the word "no" in the question so I answered the opposite of what they were asking for, and 1 wrong on traffic policing because I missed the word "no" again. I am feeling pretty good. Tomorrow morning will be interesting.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Please tell me if this violates Cisco's NDA, but if not, is there a calculator available on the Written? I've been googling to find an answer, but haven't had much luck.

From what I remember there is, but you wont need it.
  • Options
    I just finished 2 rounds of boson in study mode, reading all of the explanations, and then doing a random Simulation style exam. It took me around an hour and I got a 96. I only got 3 wrong and when I reviewed them I realized I missed one on BGP attributes (1 answer was placed in wrong column on a chart), 1 wrong on OSPF network types because I missed the word "no" in the question so I answered the opposite of what they were asking for, and 1 wrong on traffic policing because I missed the word "no" again. I am feeling pretty good. Tomorrow morning will be interesting.

Your done. Eat well and relax tonight. Be sure to attack the exam hard the first hour and keep pressing on. Dont dwell on questions you answered they are gone. You want to be in the second half of your test with some time to play with.
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Good luck tomorrow!

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    Well, after 283 hours of study over roughly 7 months, I passed the CCIE RS Written! A few exhibits were of poor quality, but I didn't find the quality of the test to be that terrible. The test was comprised of a good mix of tough questions and easy CCNA level questions. A few questions drew my attention to some topics that I need to brush up on, but I'm sure my lab studies will fill in the blanks for me. I finished the test with roughly 10 minutes to spare. I do agree with several other posters that this test is like the CCNP+. I'll celebrate this evening and then set up my full lab tomorrow. I did cheer a bit at the end of the test when I saw that I passed. I threw my hands up and said YESSS in my quiet voice. No one else was in the testing room so i didn't distract anyone. There were some points where I thought I wasn't going to pass, but then I'd hit a streak of like 5 or 6 questions that I was strong on. I need to really spend more time on multicast, ipv6, and qos. I was fully expecting to see a "sorry, you failed" at the end after the computer calculated my score (which took forever) , but I was pleased to see the pass.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!!!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    Congratulations!!! You really deserve it! I was waiting for you to post the PASS!!

Congrats!!
    icon_cheers.gif

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    Well, after 283 hours of study over roughly 7 months, I passed the CCIE RS Written! A few exhibits were of poor quality, but I didn't find the quality of the test to be that terrible. The test was comprised of a good mix of tough questions and easy CCNA level questions. A few questions drew my attention to some topics that I need to brush up on, but I'm sure my lab studies will fill in the blanks for me. I finished the test with roughly 10 minutes to spare. I do agree with several other posters that this test is like the CCNP+. I'll celebrate this evening and then set up my full lab tomorrow. I did cheer a bit at the end of the test when I saw that I passed. I threw my hands up and said YESSS in my quiet voice. No one else was in the testing room so i didn't distract anyone. There were some points where I thought I wasn't going to pass, but then I'd hit a streak of like 5 or 6 questions that I was strong on. I need to really spend more time on multicast, ipv6, and qos. I was fully expecting to see a "sorry, you failed" at the end after the computer calculated my score (which took forever) , but I was pleased to see the pass.

Excellent. It's done. You passed the written and didn't use a **** to do it. That in itself is an accomplishment. Plus all the reading you did will really help you in your labprep. Far too many people shortcircuit the written by dumping it, then they get lost in the practicalities of the vendor workbook exercises. You will still get lost, but not to the extent of those people. Those people are fools, they deny themselves all the reading they should be doing. Some show up for the lab exam not understanding deterministic MED!

Congratulations! Have a few beers and then on to lab prep. Im doing some right now, and all Saturday night..
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks!

500 hours of labprep this year is the next goal. But for now, celebrate!
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Excellent. It's done. You passed the written and didn't use a **** to do it. That in itself is an accomplishment. Plus all the reading you did will really help you in your labprep. Far too many people shortcircuit the written by dumping it, then they get lost in the practicalities of the vendor workbook exercises. You will still get lost, but not to the extent of those people. Those people are fools, they deny themselves all the reading they should be doing. Some show up for the lab exam not understanding deterministic MED!

Congratulations! Have a few beers and then on to lab prep. Im doing some right now, and all Saturday night..

Thanks very much! Your help was greatly appreciated. I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment and excited about the lab prep. It feels great knowing that I've done this the clean way while so many others out there **** their way through it. I feel like I'll have a much better go at the lab since I have a pretty good grasp of the theory (I'm sure I'll still have a tough go of it). Also, I know that in an interview I'll win if it came to a dumper vs me. Good luck with your studies tonight Turgon! Once again, thanks!
  • Options
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    Congratulations!!! You really deserve it! I was waiting for you to post the PASS!!

Congrats!!
    icon_cheers.gif

It'll be your turn next! Then on to the real challenge!
  • Options
    Thanks very much! Your help was greatly appreciated. I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment and excited about the lab prep. It feels great knowing that I've done this the clean way while so many others out there **** their way through it. I feel like I'll have a much better go at the lab since I have a pretty good grasp of the theory (I'm sure I'll still have a tough go of it). Also, I know that in an interview I'll win if it came to a dumper vs me. Good luck with your studies tonight Turgon! Once again, thanks!

heheh..no problem. It's my last year of this madness but I think I have the time to nail it now. You will need the lab hours to make *sense* of all that mush you have been reading..so start soon.
  • Options
    heheh..no problem. It's my last year of this madness but I think I have the time to nail it now. You will need the lab hours to make *sense* of all that mush you have been reading..so start soon.

Good luck on your lab attempt! I am planning to start prepping tomorrow or Monday at the latest depending on this site move/VoIP install.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Well done James. I was cheering for you and had high hopes for you. Feel free to ask if you need help with anything.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Well done James. I was cheering for you and had high hopes for you. Feel free to ask if you need help with anything.

Thanks man! Hope your labbing is going smoothly. I'm sure I will end up taking you up on that offer at some point.
  • Options
    It'll be your turn next! Then on to the real challenge!
    In 3 months maybe i will! :D will try to catch you up ;)

• Options
    In 3 months maybe i will! :D will try to catch you up ;)

You will. Just rack up the study hours!
  • Options
    I spent some time yesterday getting all of my switches (3x3550 and 1x3560) cleaned up and ready for labbing. I am trying to replicate the INE lab and I'm about $1300 away. I still need 3x1841's, 1x2610, 1x2611, and all of the modules. I might borrow another 3560 from work and set one of the 3550s aside. We have a ton of spare 3750s and a few 3560s.
  • Options
    I need $1800 to buy the rest of my lab. This will take awhile, but I should be able to get it together. I might use my tax return for it. I'll use GNS3 until I can buy the rest.
  • Options
    I'm reading Internet Routing Architectures cover to cover now and I'm finding it very helpful to understanding the big picture. I skimmed over it for my written, but didn't get too deep. I just read a lot of Cisco docs on BGP to help for the written.
  • Options
    I'm reading Internet Routing Architectures cover to cover now and I'm finding it very helpful to understanding the big picture. I skimmed over it for my written, but didn't get too deep. I just read a lot of Cisco docs on BGP to help for the written.

While you are amassing equipment, why not start to build out the INE Vol II switching sections in all 20 labs at home. You can do that and start to amass some good lab hours. Means you can tick switching off your list as well.
  • Options
    While you are amassing equipment, why not start to build out the INE Vol II switching sections in all 20 labs at home. You can do that and start to amass some good lab hours. Means you can tick switching off your list as well.

That is an excellent idea. I have 2x3750s and 2x3550s at work. I could set up a little mini lab and move through those labs.
  • Options
    That is an excellent idea. I have 2x3750s and 2x3550s at work. I could set up a little mini lab and move through those labs.

Im full of excellent ideas. My problem has always been regular game time to execute. I recommend you do so. Spend the next 100 hours simply doing all the INE Vol II tasks for switching for all 20 labs. Start now. You must become an ace at switching. It all falls apart if that isn't good.

I will be doing the same with my meagre equipment at home, which will suffice!
  • Options
    I spent this morning doing some maintenance on my wife's car and then I started wiring up all of my equipment. All of the interswitch links are in place and I've been spending the day on ebay trying to find some good deals on lab equipment.
  • Options
    I spent this morning doing some maintenance on my wife's car and then I started wiring up all of my equipment. All of the interswitch links are in place and I've been spending the day on ebay trying to find some good deals on lab equipment.

Cool. Im labbing right now in real time. While you wait for the purchases you can start the INE switching exercises. You have enough equipment for that.
  • Options
    Cool. Im labbing right now in real time. While you wait for the purchases you can start the INE switching exercises. You have enough equipment for that.

What are you covering currently?