Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree. I need to wrap this up. I am feeling pretty good about the test.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Just heard a good analogy for multicast... Multicast is like a radio frequency. PIM-DM is like a normal radio station that you tune into (and can be rough on your network at first...push technique), and PIM-SM is like pay-per-view (and is easier on your network...pull technique). I hope that helps someone. Thanks Jeremy Cioara!

Another analogy- Rendezvous points are like a dating service. Men are the sources, and women are the receivers... (*,G)...i.e.; *= anyone (any man), but I want to make sure he's a banker (that's the group).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69Rck-kfss
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    one of most fav subjects, i don't know why but :)

I have just started my section on Multicast for the second time.
    My MAC still has Alvin and the chipmonks along with an episode of the universe, that i use to stream with VLC.

:)
  • Options
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    one of most fav subjects, i don't know why but :)

I have just started my section on Multicast for the second time.
    My MAC still has Alvin and the chipmonks along with an episode of the universe, that i use to stream with VLC.

Nice! What else do your multicast studies consist of?
  • Options
    If you are talking about books,

Routing TCP-IP volume II
    CCIEv4 (only 2 chapters, i hope to Finnish tonight)
    Developing IP multicast networks volume 1 (Cisco press)

In that order, this is my second time round for TCP-IP and the multicast book, if there were anything else i Google.
    I have access to all the videos and cbts, but i feel i am wasting time or i get bored when i can say the commands before they get to it, feels like it drags on.

Although i have started to play INE vids while on my bike, as i have nothing else i can do at that time ;)
  • Options
    If you are talking about books,

Routing TCP-IP volume II
    CCIEv4 (only 2 chapters, i hope to Finnish tonight)
    Developing IP multicast networks volume 1 (Cisco press)

In that order, this is my second time round for TCP-IP and the multicast book, if there were anything else i Google.
    I have access to all the videos and cbts, but i feel i am wasting time or i get bored when i can say the commands before they get to it, feels like it drags on.

Although i have started to play INE vids while on my bike, as i have nothing else i can do at that time ;)

Oh, okay. I need to pick up Developing IP multicast networks. I've read a ton of docs on multicast, but I just want to have it down cold. Do you lab much? The INE videos have been pretty helpful. Anthony Sequeira has some good Youtube videos on Multicast.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Just heard a good analogy for multicast... Multicast is like a radio frequency. PIM-DM is like a normal radio station that you tune into (and can be rough on your network at first...push technique), and PIM-SM is like pay-per-view (and is easier on your network...pull technique). I hope that helps someone. Thanks Jeremy Cioara!

Another analogy- Rendezvous points are like a dating service. Men are the sources, and women are the receivers... (*,G)...i.e.; *= anyone (any man), but I want to make sure he's a banker (that's the group).

IP Multicast Gotchas - YouTube

That's a great analogy and I wish i'd had it when I first dived into multicast for an IPTV network I do support for. Multicast is so much easier to figure out when you've got production stuff to use it for like video.

And yes PIM-DM is rough to the tune of a few hundred Mbps if you're carrying a full load of SD and HD channels.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    A view of my home study/lab, i have 2 2821s about to go in the rack, my other bits phones and the likes are in boxs.

i do a lot of labbing, it also helps the wife is very supportive.

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hah. Cool. I believe the most impressive part is the library. You appear to be a very loyal Cisco press customer :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Sirsamon, wow! I am drooling over your lab. I am confined to the basement of our house. Your Cisco Press library is extensive! It puts mine to shame. (I have about 25 Cisco Press books) I'll have to post up some pictures of my lab. You are lucky that your wife is onboard. My wife knows what it means to me so she has been extremely helpful. She even named our dog Cisco. That is 100% true.
  • Options
    damn my dog is to old to rename ;)

maybe rename my wife ??
  • Options
    damn my dog is to old to rename ;)

maybe rename my wife ??

That works. I'm sure she won't mind. :)
  • Options
    I only got about an hour of studying done last night. We were having an additional DS3 installed last night and while the ISP techs were installing it they fried our ONS. Let's just say it was a long night.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only got about an hour of studying done last night. We were having an additional DS3 installed last night and while the ISP techs were installing it they fried our ONS. Let's just say it was a long night.

Sounds like it James. How long to your written test now?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Sounds like it James. How long to your written test now?

10 days...
  • Options
    9 days until my written and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I am doing practice tests and reviewing some of my weak spots (multicast, qos, ipv6, wccp, and mpls). I studied for about 3 hours last night since it was another late night at work. (A ton of rewiring and port configs had to be done last night and I was the only one around to do them.) I went to the gym for a run and then forced myself to stay awake until 12am. 5:30 comes early, but I had to keep studying.
  • Options
    9 days until my written and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I am doing practice tests and reviewing some of my weak spots (multicast, qos, ipv6, wccp, and mpls). I studied for about 3 hours last night since it was another late night at work. (A ton of rewiring and port configs had to be done last night and I was the only one around to do them.) I went to the gym for a run and then forced myself to stay awake until 12am. 5:30 comes early, but I had to keep studying.

Its all good. The last few days before we work hard on the routing and switching questions in the tests. Concentrate on understanding how things work as the test will throw scenarios and configuration your way where you will need to demonstrate understanding of what is going on in a network.
  • Options
    I'm averaging 85s on the Boson (picking the Random Quiz mode). I have been using Mnemosyne and looking over my notes as well. Routing TCP/IP Vol II really has helped to drive home a lot of the multicast topics. I want to make a small study sheet with all of the timers, messages, and basic functionality for all of the routing protocols, IGMP, PIM, STP, etc so I have it all at a glance.
  • Options
    I've been watching the new INE Written videos in addition to reading some Cisco Docs on my weaker areas. I completed both of the INE written practice tests as well. Ive also been doing Boson tests daily. I compiled a list of areas that I could use a little refresher on so I plan on researching those before the 28th.
  • Options
    3 days... I'm thinking I might push it back a day due to the fact that I lost a day of review due to a stomach bug. I slept pretty much all day yesterday. We also had a death in the family on Sunday so it's been a tough week. I compiled a list of all topics that worry me and will move through it one by one to close any knowledge gaps.
  • Options
    3 days... I'm thinking I might push it back a day due to the fact that I lost a day of review due to a stomach bug. I slept pretty much all day yesterday. We also had a death in the family on Sunday so it's been a tough week. I compiled a list of all topics that worry me and will move through it one by one to close any knowledge gaps.

Push it back two weeks. You are having a difficult time.
  • Options
    Push it back two weeks. You are having a difficult time.

I followed your advice and did that exact thing. I will just continue to study through it.
  • Options
    I rescheduled for 2/11/2012. I had a death in the family and was sick for most of last week. I took it easy and spent time with my family. I am going to start studying nonstop for the next two weeks and hopefully I'll pull out a pass on test day.
  • Options
    I rescheduled for 2/11/2012. I had a death in the family and was sick for most of last week. I took it easy and spent time with my family. I am going to start studying nonstop for the next two weeks and hopefully I'll pull out a pass on test day.

You will be fine James. Very sorry to hear about your loss.
  • Options
    Started reading my notes again, looking over Cisco Docs on WCCP, routing protocol FAQs, and RSTP. Those docs answered a lot of my questions within the first 3 minutes of reading them. I have been doing Boson tests as well as reviewing my Mnemosyne flash cards to keep the information fresh. I feel like I'm just in a holding pattern where I'm constantly refreshing the data in my brain until I take the test. I don't want to miss work, but I wish I didn't have to wait 2 weeks at this point.
  • Options
    You will be fine James. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Thanks Turgon. I appreciate it. It was a rough week.
  • Options
    Thanks Turgon. I appreciate it. It was a rough week.

No problem. A tough year for you 2012 so pace yourself. You will clear the written this year. A lot of lab practice ahead of you the next 12 months.
  • Options
    While I haven't passed my written yet, I thought it would be a good idea to plan out my labbing routine. I'm going to aim for at least 3 hours a day during the week (lab 7-9pm after work, gym from 9:15-9:45pm, shower, and then lab again from 10:15 until 11:15pm), and then 8 hours per day on the weekends. I should hit 1000 hours in around 8-9 months. I might not have to study as much on my own time if I get buy in from my employer. They discussed that they really want to help me with it towards the end of 2012. Maybe even a Narbik bootcamp...
  • Options
    While I haven't passed my written yet, I thought it would be a good idea to plan out my labbing routine. I'm going to aim for at least 3 hours a day during the week (lab 7-9pm after work, gym from 9:15-9:45pm, shower, and then lab again from 10:15 until 11:15pm), and then 8 hours per day on the weekends. I should hit 1000 hours in around 8-9 months. I might not have to study as much on my own time if I get buy in from my employer. They discussed that they really want to help me with it towards the end of 2012. Maybe even a Narbik bootcamp...

Good luck with that schedule! While the maths adds up, in reality sticking to those projections is very difficult. Neither daniel or NOC-Ninja have hit 1000 hours in that timeframe and they are both working regularly and very hard. Try by all means but dont get disheartened if life means you dont rack up those lab hours as fast as you had hoped!
  • Options
    Good luck with that schedule! While the maths adds up, in reality sticking to those projections is very difficult. Neither daniel or NOC-Ninja have hit 1000 hours in that timeframe and they are both working regularly and very hard. Try by all means but dont get disheartened if life means you dont rack up those lab hours as fast as you had hoped!

I'm going to try, but we shall see. Life can get crazy sometimes, but I'm going to give it all I've got.