Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Started reading the "Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture" book. It looks to be a quick read at only around 200 pages. I want to wrap it up this week. I got about 30 pages done this morning. This weekend was lost due to family obligations.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Doing some more labs and QoS reading.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    We wrapped up the move on Wednesday so full study mode back on! I took last night to help the wife decorate for Christmas, but I'm hoping to be able to start putting several hours a day/night into my studies. I usually study for about 2 hours a day at work when I can. My wife is going to pay for my Written for part of my Christmas gift so I'm hoping to get to book it next week. I don't think getting it done before Christmas is realistic due to the fact that life is about to get hectic with all of the holiday festivities. I'm probably going to book for mid January since the holidays will be over by that point and this VoIP project at work will be mostly complete. We are deploying phones now since the underlying network has been modified to accomodate the voice traffic. It was fun configuring QoS on this large of a network.
  • Options
    "Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture" has been a very interesting read so far. This book is for you if you want to know how the processes inside of a Cisco device take place at a very low level. If you are like me it helps to know this depth of information when you are learning how certain processes are initiated, maintained, and terminate. This book definitely aids the "think like the router" concept. Some of the information is review, but a lot of it certainly isn't. Hope everyone's studies are going well.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I just wrapped up "Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture". It was an excellent read, but had some really old information in it. I am going to read Routing TCP/IP Vol I again, then Vol II. I also want to check out MPLS Fundamentals (or equivalent) and also Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I just wrapped up "Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture". It was an excellent read, but had some really old information in it. I am going to read Routing TCP/IP Vol I again, then Vol II. I also want to check out MPLS Fundamentals (or equivalent) and also Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi.

Have you passed the written yet? If not, I wouldn't read anymore books for a while now. Odom and Bosen practice tests everyday for two weeks, then sit the exam.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Have you passed the written yet? If not, I wouldn't read anymore books for a while now. Odom and Bosen practice tests everyday for two weeks, then sit the exam.

Not yet.
  • Options
    Not yet.

My advice still stands. Hit the Odom and Bosen tests daily now for 2 weeks then take the exam. If you tank it before Christmas, study it over the holiday and retake mid January. Get the written done, put a few books away and then start the 1000 hours of lab prep using the workbooks. You will read plenty during that journey I can assure you!
  • Options
    My advice still stands. Hit the Odom and Bosen tests daily now for 2 weeks then take the exam. If you tank it before Christmas, study it over the holiday and retake mid January. Get the written done, put a few books away and then start the 1000 hours of lab prep using the workbooks. You will read plenty during that journey I can assure you!

I guess I'm not sure what to expect so I am scared and reading everything I can get my hands on. I do need to just get in the test center and give it a shot (once I've exhausted Boson).
  • Options
    I guess I'm not sure what to expect so I am scared and reading everything I can get my hands on. I do need to just get in the test center and give it a shot (once I've exhausted Boson).

I have passed the written 3 times and failed it 5 times in my life and Im no slouch so dont worry. Everytime I failed it my preparation was off..everytime I passed it, my preparation was good. Just take the test. You will know what to recover on if you fail. I did.

You have put the miles in on written prep which is the important thing afterall. No ****. Hard reading. Trust me, whatever happens in the testing centre, even if it takes you 3 attempts to clear the theory test, the way you have gone about preparing for the theory is the important thing..it will help your lab prep..it has certainly helped mine!

Take the test.
  • Options
    I have passed the written 3 times and failed it 5 times in my life and Im no slouch so dont worry. Everytime I failed it my preparation was off..everytime I passed it, my preparation was good. Just take the test. You will know what to recover on if you fail. I did.

You have put the miles in on written prep which is the important thing afterall. No ****. Hard reading. Trust me, whatever happens in the testing centre, even if it takes you 3 attempts to clear the theory test, the way you have gone about preparing for the theory is the important thing..it will help your lab prep..it has certainly helped mine!

Take the test.

Thanks man. You've been incredibly helpful! You are a really hard worker and have been inspiring to me. I will take the test as soon as I have the money. I want to go over my notes some and boost my confidence, but I want to get this moving. I slacked a little with the house move and this VoIP project, but I will ramp myself back up again.

I feel like guys who **** this exam are just lining themselves up to A.) fail the lab because they don't get the theory, B.) look like idiots at job interviews (I've had several interviews where if you were a paper warrior you would have been weeded out in the first phone interview) or when conversing with other CCIEs/network experts, C.) cheating themselves out of the sense of pride and accomplishment that will come with passing via their own study time and hard work. Considering the investment of time and money, all the sacrifices in your personal life, and what passing the CCIE means to me (written and lab) I find that I get really angry when I see threads about guys passing via **** and bragging about how "easy" it was. Of course it was easy you moron! You cheated!
  • Options
    Multicast deep dive document that I just found:
    Deep Dive into Multicast
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    schweet! Thanks for the multicast deep dive, I'm going through it at the moment. Has to be my most hated subject to study. I've never had to implement it and it just basically doesn't interest me. I've made a bunch of notes, read the cert guide and watched the INE videos but it still doesn't seem like it sinks in. If I leave it for a few days I forget the difference between a Querier and DR etc... My studies are cominsg along slowly as it seems like whenever I spend a week or two on 1 subject it pushes another out my head. I am finding that when I do refresh topics it comes back easier though. I wanted to have the written done by the end of the year but I have no chance... I need an actual study plan I think rather than just reading when I get a chance
  • Options
    TesseracT wrote: »
    schweet! Thanks for the multicast deep dive, I'm going through it at the moment. Has to be my most hated subject to study. I've never had to implement it and it just basically doesn't interest me. I've made a bunch of notes, read the cert guide and watched the INE videos but it still doesn't seem like it sinks in. If I leave it for a few days I forget the difference between a Querier and DR etc... My studies are cominsg along slowly as it seems like whenever I spend a week or two on 1 subject it pushes another out my head. I am finding that when I do refresh topics it comes back easier though. I wanted to have the written done by the end of the year but I have no chance... I need an actual study plan I think rather than just reading when I get a chance

You can overdo the reading. The mistake many candidates make is to divorce reading from lab prep. Your reading does not stop when you pass the written..

You should read one chapter per day from Odom and take the end of chapter test. Once you have read Odom, do the Odom and Bosen tests daily. Research the answers to questions using a range of books. The written is doable in three months with this approach. Then take the test. If you fail, read up on areas you suck on then take the test 4 - 6 weeks later after hammering the practice tests again.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    You can overdo the reading. The mistake many candidates make is to divorce reading from lab prep. Your reading does not stop when you pass the written..

You should read one chapter per day from Odom and take the end of chapter test. Once you have read Odom, do the Odom and Bosen tests daily. Research the answers to questions using a range of books. The written is doable in three months with this approach. Then take the test. If you fail, read up on areas you suck on then take the test 4 - 6 weeks later after hammering the practice tests again.

True words. You still need reading when preparing for lab. I read almost every day. Not that much from books any longer but blog post, Cisco Live presentations but the most important resource is the DOCCD.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    TesseracT wrote: »

Anytime! There is a lot to it. I agree with the refreshes beging a lot easier. The hardest part is initially wrapping your brain around the concept. Consistency seems to be the name of the game. Good luck man! Let's get this written knocked out so we can get on with the monster.
  • Options

I think the over reading in a lot of cases is due to fear. I know it has been in mine.
  • Options
    I've been beating up Boson and reading Routing TCP/IP as well. The multicast questions are what are beating me up the most. It feels good to be able to study consistently again. I got a 30 day review from my boss yesterday and he told me that I'm doing a great job. He said that I'm a self starter, definitely don't need any hand holding, and have already started to make an impact. Then he went on to say that he couldn't be happier with my performance thus far. I was happy to hear him say all that.
  • Options
    I've been beating up Boson and reading Routing TCP/IP as well. The multicast questions are what are beating me up the most. It feels good to be able to study consistently again. I got a 30 day review from my boss yesterday and he told me that I'm doing a great job. He said that I'm a self starter, definitely don't need any hand holding, and have already started to make an impact. Then he went on to say that he couldn't be happier with my performance thus far. I was happy to hear him say all that.

Great work James! Being successful at work is the most important and you are off to a really good start. Keep it up. It always feels good to get positive criticism.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Great work James! Being successful at work is the most important and you are off to a really good start. Keep it up. It always feels good to get positive criticism.

Thanks man. I need to knock out this written. It looks like your lab studies are going well. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm scoring 70-80s on the Boson tests. I am reading the articles on the questions I get wrong. I have been trying to digest every bit of material I can on my weakspots. I am amazed at the improvements that have been the result of additional study in my weak areas.
  • Options
    I'm scoring 70-80s on the Boson tests. I am reading the articles on the questions I get wrong. I have been trying to digest every bit of material I can in my weakspots. I am amazed at the improvements that have been the result of additional study in my weak areas.

Good job! If you have anything you want to discuss feel free to add my to IM.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Good job! If you have anything you want to discuss feel free to add my to IM.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I will most likely take you up on the offer.
  • Options
    I studied for about an hour yesterday, but didn't get anything done last night due to side work (large powershell project), and then a large outage at my employer's HQ. I'm hoping I can get a good amount done today.
  • Options
    Well I finished one of my side projects and also wrapped up deploying QoS on all of our access layer switches between last night and this morning. I have been doing some QoS refreshing today.
  • Options
    I've been laptopless for 3 weeks since the DC-in on my sony vaio decided to break apart. The parts finally arrived last night so I was able to put it back together. All of my notes and INE materials are on it so that will be a huge boost for my studies. I need to buy a backup computer so I won't be down again.
  • Options
    I was just doing some of the troubleshooting exercises from the back of Chp6 in routing tcp/ip vol 1. Had to do some troubleshooting more of dynamips and incorrect IOS version than protocols.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas