Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Great, the job that I interviewed for 2 weeks ago just got back to me. They told me they want to hire me and stopped interviewing others for the position, but there will be a bit of a delay seeing that they were just purchased by a much larger company. They said this position needs to be filled ASAP and they are pushing it through as quickly as they can. It is a great opportunity and I will learn a lot, but it seems like it might not happen. I hope they don't freeze hiring, but they are still posting jobs on dice and other boards for other positions so it doesn't seem like they will. Anyone ever been in a situation like this?

They may need someone, and they may want you. But sometimes the budget just isn't approved yet. They may have stopped interviewing because they have had a look at the zoo to see what is out there. Often companies bring people in just to see what they can get, but the financial machinery that will allow them to make an offer is clogged up. Just carry on until you get an offer you are prepared to accept. Should you change jobs, your studies will take a hit as you have 8 weeks to make a positive impression in a new job and that means 100% focus on the job in hand, not on your study ambitions.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a 2nd tech screen today with another company for a network engineering position. The interviewer was a CCIE RS and was very nice. He told me that I aced it and pushed me through to the next round. He asked some questions about OSPF in multiarea, LSAs, BGP, EIGRP, some IOS questions, troubleshooting, and how routing and switching works at a low level. He told me that if I need any help with my RS studies to feel free to contact him. I got a call from the company immediately following the interview to schedule another interview with the site network manager. They seemed to really like me. Who knows...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    That's great news! Here's to you landing a great new gig!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Thanks man! I will be takling to the other interviewer on Wednesday.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I'm almost done chapter 20 (about 15 pages to go.) I'm running out to the gym then I'm going to wrap this chapter up tonight. I will then start moving my way through the Written blueprint to make sure I'm confident on all of the topics. I will study anything that I'm not 100% confident in. Next step, watch the INE vids, do some labbing, Boson, and set up the test. I'm hoping by late November, early December to have the Written done. I'd really like to have it completed before Christmas.
  • Options
    I just wrapped up the exam guide. I am going to start diving into my weak areas starting tomorrow. Good night.
  • Options
    I just wrapped up the exam guide. I am going to start diving into my weak areas starting tomorrow. Good night.

Cool. I think you should just batter the practice tests daily now and print out any Q+A you get wrong so you can revise those things as you go along. Then sit the exam in 5 weeks time. Gives you a chance you regroup and resit if necessary before Christmas. It would be good to get the theory victory before Santa comes then you can start 2012 on lab prep!
  • Options
    Took my first practice test in Boson's ExSim. (not the cd from the book's question pool), and got a 79. I know what my weak spots are (QoS and Multicast seem to be the worst). I keep updating my Mnemosyne notes with what I learn from the explanations.
  • Options
    Took my first practice test in Boson's ExSim. (not the cd from the book's question pool), and got a 79. I know what my weak spots are (QoS and Multicast seem to be the worst). I keep updating my Mnemosyne notes with what I learn from the explanations.

Good plan. Put an hour in each day with those Boson questions and be sure to update your notes with things you learn in the explanations of the questions you got wrong, as well as the ones you got right. The written is a lot of stuff so you really need those exercises to help you work all that material into knowledge you can really use.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Good plan. Put an hour in each day with those Boson questions and be sure to update your notes with things you learn in the explanations of the questions you got wrong, as well as the ones you got right. The written is a lot of stuff so you really need those exercises to help you work all that material into knowledge you can really use.

I've been impressed by the explanations provided by Boson. They really help you understand the answers in a practical manner.

I have a 3rd tech interview tomorrow for a pharma company. The CCIE who interviewed me during the 2nd tech interview told me to look over the following links before my interview with the network engineering mgr. He said he looks over these as a good refresh before he has an interview. I thought I'd share. (copied from his email):

Catalyst 3560 Switch Software Configuration Guide, Release 12.2(55)SE - Configuring Optional Spanning-Tree Features* [Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

Here is the Routing configuration guide. Part one contains technologies like HSRP and NAT. Part two contains the different routing protocols like EIGRP.

Cisco IOS Release 12.0 Network Protocols Configuration Guide, Part 1* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.0 Mainline] - Cisco Systems

I recommend reading the first two to three chapters of the “Enterprise Mobility Design Guide” (Enterprise Mobility 4.1 Design Guide* [Design Zone for Mobility] - Cisco Systems. It is anticipated this will take 1 – 2 hours to complete.
  • Options
    I'm going back to basics now (well L2), then I'll work my way up to routing, then all non-core topics. I reviewed the 3560 manual and a document on IP Protocols (optional features, routing protocols, etc). Monday and Tuesday were spent reviewing them both for my IE studies as well as this job interview. I spent about 6 hours between those large documents, and a pdf on wireless. I didn't count it towards my reading tally. I did spend time at work each day going over boson book questions. They seem more difficult then the questions from Boson themselves.

I had my 3rd tech interview today for an engineer position with the pharma company. This time it was with the team lead, a CCIE. He grilled me pretty hard, but I did well. This was my last tech interview before meeting with the CTO. I've had two interviews now administered by CCIEs. They both seemed to be happy about the fact that I was pursuing my IE as well. The interviewers even asked about my time line. I am awaiting the results now.
  • Options
    I'm going back to basics now (well L2), then I'll work my way up to routing, then all non-core topics. I reviewed the 3560 manual and a document on IP Protocols (optional features, routing protocols, etc). Monday and Tuesday were spent reviewing them both for my IE studies as well as this job interview. I spent about 6 hours between those large documents, and a pdf on wireless.

I had my 3rd tech interview today for an engineer position with the pharma company. This time it was with the team lead, a CCIE. He grilled me pretty hard, but I did well. This was my last tech interview before meeting with the CTO. I've had two interviews now administered by CCIEs. They both seemed to be happy about the fact that I was pursuing my IE as well. The interviewers even asked about my time line. I am awaiting the results now.

Always go back to basics. You forget things.
  • Options
    Always go back to basics. You forget things.

That's exactly why I'm doing it. You cover so much ground from chapter 1 to 20 in the Exam Guide that a lot of the earlier material is forgotten.
  • Options
    That's exactly why I'm doing it. You cover so much ground from chapter 1 to 20 in the Exam Guide that a lot of the earlier material is forgotten.

You may not be ready to sit and pass the lab for 12 months or two years. Keep doing it.
  • Options
    I'm think 18months, but who knows.
  • Options
    UPDATE: The pharma company just called me back and want to have a face to face interview with the CTO. I made it through all of the tech screens successfully. (3 of them)
  • Options
    I just received word from the job that I interviewed with 3 weeks ago. They will be making me the offer tomorrow morning at 9am. Celebratory dinner then studying tonight!
  • Options
    I got the official offer today. It will be anywhere from 15k-20k (15k definite, but anything more is from bonus) more a year than I'm making now. My title will be "Network Planning Analyst Lead". My responsibilities are a 15 site network, mpls, bgp (obviously), voip, ospf, qos, another engineer, and their entire network essentially. Wow... life has just changed dramatically and I'm glad to share it with the guys who have motivated me and made it possible.
  • Options
    I have been reading some chapters in the LAN Switching book as well as doing the Boson exams. I skip around a bit in this LAN switching book because there is so much information that is really old. I read the two design chapters (14 & 15) and found some interesting information in there that I think is still relevant, and really answered a few questions I had. I read Clark's VLAN and trunk descriptions, but I still want to read 6,7 (both STP), and 17 (case studies) before I move on to the QoS guide. I have found this book extremely informational and it has filled in some knowledge gaps. I also have been watching the INE videos during my lunch breaks during the week.

I have compiled a list of what I have found to be my weakest areas (starting from my weakest subject):
    1. QoS (need to lab this up more)
    2. Multicast (more labbing to make it stick)
    3. IPv6
    4. MPLS

I have some more reading to do, but I 'm thinking I'll take the written at the end of November '11.

I need to get out of my current job because our network is switching over to all Extreme products.
  • Options
    I got the official offer today. It will be anywhere from 15k-20k (15k definite, but anything more is from bonus) more a year than I'm making now. My title will be "Network Planning Analyst Lead". My responsibilities are a 15 site network, mpls, bgp (obviously), voip, ospf, qos, another engineer, and their entire network essentially. Wow... life has just changed dramatically and I'm glad to share it with the guys who have motivated me and made it possible.

Congratulations. You will be swamped in that new job. It's a big step up in responsibility and you will have to work at it. Concentrate on the new job and let the studies take a hit for a couple of months. Impressions about you will be set by Christmas in the new job. Work hard.
  • Options
    Congratulations. You will be swamped in that new job. It's a big step up in responsibility and you will have to work at it. Concentrate on the new job and let the studies take a hit for a couple of months. Impressions about you will be set by Christmas in the new job. Work hard.

Thanks man. I'm going to try my best to keep my schedule of passing the written before Christmas...
  • Options
    I did some studying this weekend on the Cisco LAN Switching book. I'm reading chapters 6,7, and 17 in this book then moving on. I finished up chapter 6 today and some of 7 (Advanced STP) (80 pages left of that guy). I also did Boson tests for probably 3 hours as well. I have been going and googling material as I get questions wrong and its really helping me to grasp the material on a deeper level. I find myself reading more and more Cisco documentation as time goes on.

Some chp 6 notes:
    Root path cost is incremented when receiving Configuration BPDUs, not transmitting them. Topology Change Notification BPDUs are generated when a port moves to forwarding, or from forwarding or learning to blocking. TCNs allow addresses to age out much faster than 5 minutes. Choose the Root (bridge id consists of 2 byte priority (default of 3276icon_cool.gif, and 6 byte MAC), then all non-roots choose their RPs, then choose dp's. You can use various methods to influence root bridge election (manual priority config, macro). Your root bridge should be a beefy switch that is placed in a logical area of the network. DP's transmit traffic away from the root, RP's obviously due the opposite (transmit traffic towards the root.) Port cost can be used to influence selection of root or designated ports. (Lower is better when talking about stp priority or cost)

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=426642&seqNum=5

I sold my XBOX to build up my lab equipment fund. I won't be able to fully finish my own lab until I get this new job. However, I bought all the necessary cabling that I will need and saved about $150 towards the written. I plan on making my INTENSE 5 or 6 week push towards the written starting tomorrow and hopefully taking it mid November '11. I definitely want to have it in the books by Christmas when my wife's family from the UK comes over for roughly 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Keep hitting the Boson tests daily now. Use your books to research the answer when you are not sure. Study the Boson solutions when you still get questions wrong. A few weeks of that should get you up for the written exam. You have done enough foundation reading. Those questions help you make sense of it all.
  • Options
    I took the day off yesterday and read for about 7 hours. I wrapped up chp 7 in LAN Switching (Advanced STP, extremely helpful) and did some Boson questions. I also did some mini labs with 3x3550s and 1x2950 to test various parameters. My Actiontec is uplinked to one of the 3550s and actually had the lowest BID so it took the root bridge position. I didn't expect that. I used the "spanning-tree vlan 1 root primary" to move it to one of my 3550s. I tested out uplinkfast, various show commands, and tweaked some values manually.
  • Options
    Good work. You will need to know switching well to pass the written and very well to pass the lab. Switching is the foundation upon which all the later tasks in the lab are built upon. You need to be able to interpret all switching tasks and be done with switching inside an hour. You need to score strongly on it or your lab attempt is doomed.

Learn to love it.
  • Options
    The finer points of switching have always interested me. I loved reading every page of those LAN Switching STP chapters.

I just took my first CCIE written practice test through INE. I received a 74%. Multicast and qos were my weak spots. I need to start reviewing those again. I am going to read chapter 17 in the LAN Switching book then move on to reviewing Multicast, QoS, and IPv6. They are my weakest spots at this time.
  • Options
    The finer points of switching have always interested me. I loved reading every page of those LAN Switching STP chapters.

I just took my first CCIE written practice test through INE. I received a 74%. Multicast and qos were my weak spots. I need to start reviewing those again. I am going to read chapter 17 in the LAN Switching book then move on to reviewing Multicast, QoS, and IPv6. They are my weakest spots at this time.

Cool. Keep pumping. Some of the other blogs are at risk of flagging. I will hit Ipv6 tomorrow. Looking forward to racktime opening up next week. Vol 3 labs!
  • Options
    Cool. Keep pumping. Some of the other blogs are at risk of flagging. I will hit Ipv6 tomorrow. Looking forward to racktime opening up next week. Vol 3 labs!

Trying man. I did better than I expected. VOL3? is this the first time that you have attempted them? good luck!
  • Options
    Trying man. I did better than I expected. VOL3? is this the first time that you have attempted them? good luck!

Attempted twice. They are good core labs when one is pressed for time to study :)
  • Options
    Attempted twice. They are good core labs when one is pressed for time to study :)

Oh, okay. Good luck. I will keep that in mind.