Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've labbed for 6 hours today as well as completed a good amount of reading. I'm on WBI Sec 10, 10.10 Selective Packet Discard (SPD). These labs have been extremely informative since QoS is one of my weaker areas. I am hoping to get in another hour of labbing when I get home.

Some helpful, light weight links:
    http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/CiscoCertificationExamReviewQueueing.htm
    Cat QoS: http://lostintransit.se/2012/03/07/catalyst-qos/
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Its nice to get back into QoS. The explanations in WBI have really been helpful and have helped clarify a few misconceptions I had from earlier studies. Its also a nice refresher. This section is long, but interesting. I started using Mnemosyne on my PC again to keep all of the different QoS topics/algorithms straight. I stopped using it in lieu of Anymemo on my phone, but I enjoy making my own cards on my PC.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I'm currently on 10.22 Legacy FRTS with Per-VC WFQ... These exercises are really opening up my eyes and driving home these topics. I only wish I would have done the QoS Section of WBI prior to Mock lab 1, but oh well.

Trivia:

-What are the benefits of FRTS when compared to GTS?
  • Options
    Our son hasn't really been sleeping through the nights because of his stomach, so I've been watching a lot of INE videos. I try to get the majority of my labbing done at work so I can help my wife with him when I get home. I only have about 8 more INE videos left from my first iteration through them, but I am planning to rewatch them as needed.
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Congratulations on the birth of your son! My wife went through a c-section as well, tough stuff. Good luck with your studies. You've been doing great progress so far!
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh my goodness, I feel so selfish!! Congrats on your new son, I'm sure you are a proud papa! It never gets old bringing new ones into this world that's for sure.

Good progress on the IE studies, keep it up!
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Our son hasn't really been sleeping through the nights because of his stomach, so I've been watching a lot of INE videos. I try to get the majority of my labbing done at work so I can help my wife with him when I get home. I only have about 8 more INE videos left from my first iteration through them, but I am planning to rewatch them as needed.

James if your son is anything like my daughter (8wks old today), their first words will be network related! She has been listening to INE videos with me since she was in the womb. I also stay up late taking care of her and labbing/reviewing! Keep up the great work and enjoy spending as much time as you can with your wife and son!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Congratulations on the birth of your son! My wife went through a c-section as well, tough stuff. Good luck with your studies. You've been doing great progress so far!

Thank you! How old is your child now? I'm still pushing along.
  • Options
    unclerico wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, I feel so selfish!! Congrats on your new son, I'm sure you are a proud papa! It never gets old bringing new ones into this world that's for sure.

Good progress on the IE studies, keep it up!

I'm definitely a proud papa. It has been intense, but well worth it.
  • Options
    We finally found a method for causing the baby to sleep for 4-5 hours at a time so we've been able to catch up with ourselves a little bit. I just wrapped up all of the legacy QoS features in WBI, Sect 10 and started on MQC. I've created a ton of flashcards with config snippets to help me remember what I've covered so far and that seems to be helping retention.
  • Options
    Thank you! How old is your child now? I'm still pushing along.

He is soon to be 10 months old. Time goes very fast. Good that you can manage to find time for the CCIE.
  • Options
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    He is soon to be 10 months old. Time goes very fast. Good that you can manage to find time for the CCIE.

Has it gotten easier? How's your sleep?
  • Options
    His sleep is definitely much much easier to manage now. After about 3, 4 months he started to already sleep full nights (8PM - 6AM). Nowadays he wakes up more though, and doesn't have as many naps during the day. I have colleagues who weren't as lucky, took their kids much longer to sleep through the night.

I was lucky because my wife wasn't working at the time, so she tried to let me sleep during the night. Some nights I slept on the couch.

You'll learn to enjoy it once he starts to pay attention to stuff. At this stage he is just crying, eating and sleeping. Not too exciting I suppose hehe :)
  • Options
    That is excellent to hear. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm on page 221, 10.37, of Sect 10-QoS. These exercises take awhile, but have been really helpful with increasing my understanding of the subject matter. I've never had much trouble with CBWFQ/LLQ, but some of the legacy features have tripped me up in the past.

I highly recommend going through this section if you are having a rough time with understanding QoS. The explanations and application will really help with your understanding. QoS has always been my weakest topic so I'm changing that.
  • Options
    That sounds like a great resource. I can't wait to dig into QoS enabled applications. That's supposed to be a good one too. My QoS is pretty weak too heh.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone ha. Let me know if you have any questions. It'll be good practice for me.
  • Options
    I just learned from my boss that he needs me to pass 70-659, TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization. This is unfortunate considering that I'm so far along in my CCIE studies.

My company will lose its Gold partnership with MS if myself and 3 other techs dont pass this one. We are all MCITP:SA or EA's.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Wow, that oughta be pretty frustrating I imagine. On the bright side, since you have Microsoft experience already, hopefully it shouldn't take too much grind to get that cert. I can't imagine the exam is anywhere near the level of your current IE studies.. small hurdle I guess
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    James I feel your pain! I had put the R&S track to the side for a little while to work on DCSNS, ICSNS, IASNS, Riverbed, and some other partner competencies to retain status for the company. Knock it out as fast as you can but try to do at least a little labbing towards the R&S track if possible!

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just learned from my boss that he needs me to pass 70-659, TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization. This is unfortunate considering that I'm so far along in my CCIE studies.

My company will lose its Gold partnership with MS if myself and 3 other techs dont pass this one. We are all MCITP:SA or EA's.

Did he not see this coming? He suddenly needs 4 people to get certified at once?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    x5150x5150 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the baby! My baby girl is due in a couple weeks :P I would like to hear about how you're getting any studying done.
  • Options
    x5150 wrote: »
    Congrats on the baby! My baby girl is due in a couple weeks :P I would like to hear about how you're getting any studying done.

Thanks! Congrats to you as well!

As far as how I'm getting any studying done: I have a very supportive wife who wants me to pass, and I do find time at work to lab/study (its very minimal). She usually lets me lab for 2-3 hours a night.
  • Options
    Did he not see this coming? He suddenly needs 4 people to get certified at once?

Apparently they changed the requirements for Gold Partnerships and he didn't know. Since I was an MS guy in a previous life and had my MCITP:SA/EA, he wants me to be one of the 4. I am not happy, but I have to keep my job.
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    James I feel your pain! I had put the R&S track to the side for a little while to work on DCSNS, ICSNS, IASNS, Riverbed, and some other partner competencies to retain status for the company. Knock it out as fast as you can but try to do at least a little labbing towards the R&S track if possible!

Good luck!!!

Thanks! My plan is to only study Hyper-V at work and try to find some lab time at home. Time is at a premium since my son has arrived.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Wow, that oughta be pretty frustrating I imagine. On the bright side, since you have Microsoft experience already, hopefully it shouldn't take too much grind to get that cert. I can't imagine the exam is anywhere near the level of your current IE studies.. small hurdle I guess

I'm extremely frustrated, but I have to do it. I'm thinking it will take a month of my time.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, life is full of surprises... My ex employer just called and offered me my old position at higher pay (+19k from where it was when I was there) and said I could work from home. hmm... He was very supportive of my CCIE and was going to pay for it. I left on great terms and he and I stayed in touch because I did after-hours work for them as a contractor.

Great timing! I imagine you wouldn't mind going back since you kept in touch.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Great timing! I imagine you wouldn't mind going back since you kept in touch.

I am leaning heavily in that direction...
  • Options
    I am leaning heavily in that direction...

Ask yourself why you left in the first place. If you enjoyed the organization/mgmt but $$$ could have been better than by all means return with a better salary! If there were other issues.... weigh the pro/con argument.
  • Options
    and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the little un. Been there have the scars to prove... good luck
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013