My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm still making my way through the System Management section of WBI. This section is a lot easier than the security section.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    I wrapped up the System Management section, and started IP Services (Section 13). My next attempt at mock lab 1 is scheduled for Saturday so I'm hoping there aren't any hardware issues this time.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Mock lab 1 done and in the books. I think I only got 1 wrong in TS, and maybe 3 in config. I made the cardinal error of making changes with 5 minutes to go. Bad idea... TS took me about 1 hour 15 minutes. Config took quite a bit longer.

Overall, MPLS and QOS were my weak spots. I didn't have much trouble with multicast besides a routing issue that I made earlier on in the lab when configuring an IGP (caused RPF failure). I spent a lot of time on MPLS. It revealed some weak spots so it was well worth it. I'm going to hit WB I Sec 14 after I wrap up 13 because clearly MPLS is where I have gaps in my knowledge. I need to go back and review some of notes from my first pass through WBI. I was a bit rusty on some of the topics. I am fried now though.

It was nice getting to feel the time pressure and I can see how this will help with the real test.
    I read over the mock lab solutions doc. The time limit caused me to rush through some sections and misinterpret/miss a word here or there that caused me to incorrectly configure a few components. I will be more careful on the next mock lab. It was a good experience overall.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I read over the mock lab solutions doc. The time limit caused me to rush through some sections and misinterpret/miss a word here or there that caused me to incorrectly configure a few components. I will be more careful on the next mock lab. It was a good experience overall.
    Have you been timing yourself during WB2? I always set aside an 8-hour block on Saturday or Sunday to go through the entire thing on a timer.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Have you been timing yourself during WB2? I always set aside an 8-hour block on Saturday or Sunday to go through the entire thing on a timer.

No, but I need to. That is a good idea.
    I need to revisit QoS, MPLS, and IPv6. I'm going to wrap up WB 13 and 14, then I'll complete this list:
    Week 25: VOL1 QoS
    Week 26: VOL1 QoS
    Week 27: VOL1 QoS
    Week 28: VOL1 QoS
    Helpful note from WBI, WB13:

To manually set the IPP in an ICMP packet use the extended command option to specify "Type of service:" and just multiply whatever IP Precedence value you wish to use by 32. This option wants the decimal value of IPP from the TOS field. ie; (01100000)= 96=IPP 3 (first 3 bits). You would enter 96 (3x32). For IPP of 5, enter 160 (5x32).
    I finished WBI Section 13-IP Services. I wish I would have gone over that Section prior to Mock 1. It would have helped out.
    I'm making my way through WBI-Sect 14 MPLS. My wife and I found out that our baby will be here on 9/27 via c section so I'm trying to get in as much time as I possibly can.
    I just finished WBI Sect 14 MPLS and readings. This was pretty straight forward. I still need to watch the videos though. Once I'm done some more research on MPLS, I will start the QoS section. (WBI, Sect 10).

I will probably read the certification guide and watch the QoS videos again as well.

Has anyone read this?:
    End-to-End QoS Network Design by Tim Szigeti and Christina Hattingh.
    http://www.amazon.com/End-End-QoS-Network-Design/dp/1587051761
    This past weekend was a bust because of a wedding that I was in, but that should be the last of those for now. I finished up the System Management videos of the ATC, and now I'm going to start reviewing the BGP and IPv6 videos. Work has started to pick up and have been doing a lot of configs so that has been fun. I'm thinking of picking up the End-to-End QoS Network Design book as well. I definitely need a QoS review.
    This past weekend was a bust because of a wedding that I was in,
    Should've had the bride and groom recite BGP bestpath selection process as part of their custom vows.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Should've had the bride and groom recite BGP bestpath selection process as part of their custom vows.

That is a great idea! It's a win/win.
    We welcomed our son to this world early yesterday morning. He is healthy and happy so far. My wife and I are extremely excited.
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Wow! Congrats James! Really happy for you, my first born is a son as well.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Congratulations. I discovered a ton of midnight to 5 training time when my kids were born.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HUGE Congratulations James!! I bet your excited, but bam goes your study time icon_wink.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!!!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congratulations man!! Just awesome
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
    We welcomed our son to this world early yesterday morning. He is healthy and happy so far. My wife and I are extremely excited.
    You get him a copy of Routing TCP/IP yet?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    @James -- Congrats on the new baby. You don't have to read Dr Seuss books. If you moderate your tone correctly, you can read just about anything to him. I remember getting strange looks from my wife for reading DoD Travel Regs to my son when he was a newborn.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
    Thanks so much. It is definitely a change. My birthday is today and we just came home from the hospital so it has been a bit hectic. I hope to start getting some study time in at night and my wife isn't working so she said she's going to help the best she can.
    I've been watching INE videos while feeding/holding the baby. They put him right to sleep.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats james! It seems like yesterday we did the same..but with twins! It was interesting. Crazy how fast they grow! Keep up the good work.
    Thank you! Twins...how did you do it? Today is my first day back to work and it was tough leaving.
    spd3432 wrote: »
    @James -- Congrats on the new baby. You don't have to read Dr Seuss books. If you moderate your tone correctly, you can read just about anything to him. I remember getting strange looks from my wife for reading DoD Travel Regs to my son when he was a newborn.

haha, that is great advice. I already have him watching INE vids with me.
    I went over the QoS Section for a review in the CCIE Routing and Switching v4.0 Quick Reference and now I'm starting:

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you! Twins...how did you do it? Today is my first day back to work and it was tough leaving.

It was (is..) rough. One of those things that makes you envy those with only one. They're a blast though..they definitely upped the motivation for the IE and all. I'm sure you know what I mean.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    It was (is..) rough. One of those things that makes you envy those with only one. They're a blast though..they definitely upped the motivation for the IE and all. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm sure! He has certainly motivated me as well. I took it easy for a week (just reading and watching videos), but now I'm back to labbing.