Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lookin' good my man. Sounds like you have it all going for you right now; CCIE Studies moving along well, new and exciting job, new baby, new house...you must feel like you're on top of the world!! Keep it up, you're doing awesome.
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having a hard time getting rid of this "martian next hop" error. Here is some more info that I found on it:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3704.txt
    GroupStudy.com - CCIE, CCNA, CCNP and other Cisco Certifications
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    unclerico wrote: »
    Lookin' good my man. Sounds like you have it all going for you right now; CCIE Studies moving along well, new and exciting job, new baby, new house...you must feel like you're on top of the world!! Keep it up, you're doing awesome.

Thanks! There is a lot to do, but its been fun thus far. I really appreciate the kind words!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Cisco dual stack CE BGP configuration suggestions | nsp | ipv6 - shows you how to fix the Martian Hop issues...
  • Options
    and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great article on Multicast..... thanks
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013
  • Options
    and36y wrote: »
    Great article on Multicast..... thanks

which one specifically?
  • Options
    Don't know if many of you have used this or not, but if you have "ip domain-lookup" on your device, and you're tired of having the "Translating <mistypedCommand>" delay, issue the following and you'll no longer have this problem. (You will have to specify the telnet <address> command in the future, rather than just the IP/hostname...):

line con 0
    transport preferred none
    end

http://etherealmind.com/cisco-ios-translating-domain-server/
  • Options
    I'm liking the VOLII workbooks a lot more now. I just wrapped up 3 hours of lab time, and I plan to finish WBII Lab 5 by tomorrow night (then research weak spots over the weekend). We are going to look at another house tonight so I might be able to get a few more hours in this evening once we get home.
  • Options
    5 hours today. I will try to get some more in by the end of the day. I've moved into VOL2 Lab 6. I'm on 2.6.
  • Options
    We had an impromptu trip to the hospital this morning because my wife wanted to make sure she wasn't having early contractions so I got in about 2 hours of reading, and have logged about 5 hours of labbing so far today. I'm on WBII, Lab 6, 7.1.
  • Options
    I play with this site occasionally when I have a few minutes to kill:
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

Do them in your head.

Subnetting IPv6:
    https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17232
  • Options
    Burned quite a bit of time this evening resourcing quirky QoS issues...
    QoS Frequently Asked Questions - Cisco Systems

I read for an hour, and labbed for 2. I had to spend 3.5 hours today at the hospital having some tests ran which required me to be sedated so I was out of it for much of the day. Tomorrow will be better.
  • Options
  • Options
    I just finished Internet Routing Architectures. I've been reading it intermittently throughout my labbing and really enjoyed the last 2 chapters. They were extremely helpful. I read a ton of Cisco docs on BGP (like the case studies) and MPLS when I was prepping for the Written. Appendix D is on MPBGP so I will read that tomorrow.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I read this two or three weeks ago. Good read, and it can apply to any goals in your life.
  • Options
    I read this two or three weeks ago. Good read, and it can apply to any goals in your life.

That's what I've heard so I figured why not.
  • Options
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Top Down Network Design is good. Haven't read that cookbook, so can't say.
  • Options
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Top Down Network Design is good. Haven't read that cookbook, so can't say.

Okay, I have TDND, but haven't read it yet.
  • Options

I just got home from a friend's wedding about 3 hours away to find "Your CCIE Lab Success Strategy" in my mailbox. It took about 2 hours, but I was able to read the entire book cover to cover. This book contains a lot of great information on all aspects of the CCIE journey. I really liked the timeline at the end.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Came up with a new way to remember the EIGRP K value order in the "metric weights" command:
    Big Llamas Don't Run Much
    K1=Bw K2=Load K3=Dly K4=Reliability K5=MTU
    Thanks for this!
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    No problem! I'm glad I could help.
  • Options
    I just wrapped up Troubleshooting Lab 1 of WBII. It wasn't that bad. KISS principle was key...
  • Options
    I'm 2 days into the new gig. Its a lot shorter of a commute than my previous job and my responsibilities are much greater here. I've already been given 2 pretty large projects. My boss is a pretty laid back guy, but I can already tell he demands a lot. This is the type of environment I was looking for and the money is excellent so I'm happy.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good for you! I'm glad it's what you want, enjoy it!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Good for you! I'm glad it's what you want, enjoy it!

Thanks! How have you been?
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for asking! Like a lot of members here, busy as all get out. :) It's a good busy though so I'm not complaining, plugging away on the degree and so on. I’m trying to decide what to do when that's done. I am leaning towards a Masters in Education. My company has three colleges so a degree in education is always appreciated but we'll see, that's a couple of years away. I think I'm done with certs for a while, N2IT and I had a good converstation about it and given what I do MCM would be my next logical step but between work and school and home there is only so much time.

I'm glad to see that you are making good progress on your lab studies, you'll be testing before you know it! :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    That's great to hear. It sounds like you will be a busy guy no matter what you choose. Good luck! I'm hoping to test by January at the latest, but we shall see.
  • Options
    I'm trying to catch my WBII troubleshooting labs up to where I am in the WBII config labs. I'm half way there. I think the troubleshooting WB has been one of my favorite parts so far.

I was assigned a project 2 days in to my new job to redesign a large portion of our network. The new network has to be in the implementation phase by mid August. It was a multifloor network that wasn't designed, but was pieced together over time by storage engineers as access was needed. My job is to make something scalable, redundant, and that offers plenty of speed. They have about 750 devices (servers/pcs/network appliances/storage/etc) in 8 different /24 subnets with no VLANing. Its all in the same broadcast domain. Performance and stability have been issues in the past so it needs to be done. I'm hoping to knock this out of the park since its my first project and I have already interviewed 3 stakeholders with another set for this afternoon.
  • Options