Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wrapped up WB II lab3 last night. I started volume III Lab 1 + 2. I'm moving right along. I am planning on going back and revisiting all of the Vol I labs referenced in WBII. I finally have access to my home lab from work so that will allow a huge boost to my hours.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I completed the following:

Week 09: VOL2 Lab 1
    Week 10: VOL2 Lab 2
    Week 11: VOL2 Lab 3
    Week 12: VOL3 Labs 1+2

I'm going to go back and do the WBI scenarios mentioned by WBII. I learned a great deal about redistribution loops, FRTS, and BGP confederations from these labs so I'm going to go and hammer away on those topics as well. I am starting to really feel like I am improving so that is motivating me even more. I can do a lot of the config in notepad. The WBIII spot the fault scenarios were different, but fun.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looking good...keep up the hard work!
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    unclerico wrote: »
    Looking good...keep up the hard work!

Thanks man! I just keep pushing forward. The labbing really helps clarify these logical concepts and has its own unique set of learning points.
  • Options
    I am on lab 1.49 now in my pass 2 all of the Vol I workbook activities. I am going to do 2 to 3 complete sections in Vol I, then go and complete a vol 2 lab, and then the next 3 vol I labs, and so on. I have noticed that I have learned something thus far so that is encouraging.
  • Options
    Averaging about 3 hours a day and now I'm about half way through the Frame Relay lab book. Its amazing how much easier it is on your second or third time through. I left off last night at the FREEK lab.
  • Options
    I'm on my second pass through WBI, Section 3, IP Routing. I'm on Reliable Policy Routing now. I'm finding that I have the general idea of the configs, but just have to clean them up a bit. I've been reviewing my CCIE Written notes from time to time to keep the knowledge fresh, but I find subjects that have really slipped my mind.
  • Options
    OER/PfR holy crap. This will take some practice.
  • Options
    3 hours today. My CCNP was completed awhile ago so this entire CCIE process has proven extremely helpful. Has anyone here used PfR in production?
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I must say that I'm really not into networking but your followup thread is an inspiration to me and really interesting to read. and I cant wait to do the same with red hat certification I plan on studying for very soon :)
    thumbs up dudeicon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Dolev wrote: »
    I must say that I'm really not into networking but your followup thread is an inspiration to me and really interesting to read. and I cant wait to do the same with red hat certification I plan on studying for very soon :)
    thumbs up dudeicon_cheers.gif

Good luck with your studies! Thanks!
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Wow man, you really put in the hours consistently! Good stuff, keep it up!
  • Options
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Wow man, you really put in the hours consistently! Good stuff, keep it up!

Thanks. I'm just pushing along. I'll get there one step at a time.
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Wow James, you are really keeping a tight schedule! That's the way to CCIE :D

Good luck man, hope to start my lab journey soon.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    Thanks! Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I'm on the EIGRP section in WBI and moving right along. I'm really trying to absorb the material and have been reading a lot of blogs and Cisco articles. My wife and I found out we are expecting a boy in October. The past weekend was a bust as far as labbing goes because I was in SC for a wedding, but it was a nice couple of days off. I reviewed my AnyMemo decks so I got something done. I was contacted by a Gold Partner that saw my profile on LinkedIn and wants me to interview for a Presales engineer position. It would pay around 110-130k so I'm on the fence seeing that we have a little one on the way as well as the fact that my wife doesn't work. I spoke to a CCIE there and he said its a great place to work and they pay for training, have good benefits, etc. Anyone here in presales?
  • Options
    Wrapped up WBI Section 5, EIGRP. On to OSPF review. I have about 125 pages of Lab notes so far not counting any of my notes from the Written.
  • Options
    Making my way through the OSPF section. This weekend was a bust. I went out to sell my truck on Saturday, but ended up trading it in after test driving a bunch of cars. It took almost the entire day to wrap up the entire process. I'm planning on making it up over this week between time at work and at night. I'm on my 4th interview for a presales position that would be a 30% increase in pay so that is exciting seeing that my wife isnt working and we have a baby boy on the way in October.
  • Options
    Hmm, I wrote a long reply with my mobile, but apparently it wasn't posted...

Good luck with that presales job. I am currently doing presales engineering and its a fun mix of technical and customer stuff. You get to meet new people (partners and/or customers) and you get to find out what their requirements are and then you probably propose a solution/design that fits those needs. It's quite fun and you get an opportunity to improve your communication skills and how to map business to tech stuff.

It's nice, so good luck again and make the best of it!

Regards,
    Fin
  • Options
    Hmm, I wrote a long reply with my mobile, but apparently it wasn't posted...

Good luck with that presales job. I am currently doing presales engineering and its a fun mix of technical and customer stuff. You get to meet new people (partners and/or customers) and you get to find out what their requirements are and then you probably propose a solution/design that fits those needs. It's quite fun and you get an opportunity to improve your communication skills and how to map business to tech stuff.

It's nice, so good luck again and make the best of it!

Regards,
    Fin

Thanks man! I thought it would be a good career move to get into presales. I have a lot of backend design experience in addition to implementation/repair, but thought it would be good to improve my business/communication skills as well. I appreciate the info!
  • Options
    Sounds like the right move then! It is very tricky to fill presales positions as they require a mix of technical and personal/communication skills. That combination isn't always easy to find :)

Let me know if you want to know anything else.
  • Options
    Sounds like the right move then! It is very tricky to fill presales positions as they require a mix of technical and personal/communication skills. That combination isn't always easy to find :)

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Do you get much time on the CLI? Thanks for your responses!
  • Options
    and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I'm on the EIGRP section in WBI and moving right along. I'm really trying to absorb the material and have been reading a lot of blogs and Cisco articles. My wife and I found out we are expecting a boy in October. The past weekend was a bust as far as labbing goes because I was in SC for a wedding, but it was a nice couple of days off. I reviewed my AnyMemo decks so I got something done. I was contacted by a Gold Partner that saw my profile on LinkedIn and wants me to interview for a Presales engineer position. It would pay around 110-130k so I'm on the fence seeing that we have a little one on the way as well as the fact that my wife doesn't work. I spoke to a CCIE there and he said its a great place to work and they pay for training, have good benefits, etc. Anyone here in presales?

Congratulations on the baby and the job, boy have you got some distractions ahead of you....
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Do you get much time on the CLI? Thanks for your responses!

Well, if I have received a request from the customer that I am not sure if our solution can do, I will break out a couple boxes from under my desk and console to them :) There isn't much CLI time, but sometimes if a reseller needs help with doing a demo or something I might have to troubleshoot their setup remotely.
  • Options
    Well, if I have received a request from the customer that I am not sure if our solution can do, I will break out a couple boxes from under my desk and console to them :) There isn't much CLI time, but sometimes if a reseller needs help with doing a demo or something I might have to troubleshoot their setup remotely.

Okay, that's kind of what I was thinking. Today's interview went well so we shall see. They want me to look at their benefits package.
  • Options
    I'm nearly through all of WBI's OSPF section. After I make my way through WBI completely, I'm going to start pushing on the next phase of "How to pass the CCIE R&S with INE's 4.0 Training Program"

[Weeks 13-24] Core Training
    Week 13: VOL2 Lab 4
    Week 14: VOL2 Lab 5
    Week 15: VOL2 Lab 6
    Week 16: VOL3 Labs 3+4
    Week 17: VOL2 Lab 7
    Week 18: VOL2 Lab 8
    Week 19: VOL2 Lab 9
    Week 20: VOL3 Labs 5+6
    Week 21: VOL2 Lab 10
    Week 22: VOL3 Lab 7+8
    Week 23: VOL4 Labs 1+2
    Week 24: Mock Lab 1
  • Options
    x5150x5150 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck to you. Congrats on your dragon year baby. When is your test date?
  • Options
    x5150 wrote: »
    Good luck to you. Congrats on your dragon year baby. When is your test date?

Thanks so much! My test date is 12/14 for now. It might move depending on how crazy things get.
  • Options
    x5150x5150 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was looking at their scheduling site, but did not see how soon you can schedule a test? ie. If was to schedule today, would I get in for next week?
  • Options
    x5150 wrote: »
    I was looking at their scheduling site, but did not see how soon you can schedule a test? ie. If was to schedule today, would I get in for next week?

It seems like they allow you to schedule up to 8 months out. Click the "Scheduling & Payment" tab on this page: Lab Exam - CCIE ROUTING AND SWITCHING TRACK - Cisco Systems.

It will give you dates that are available at your selected location. You need to make full payment for the exam 90 days before the scheduled lab date in order to keep your reservation.

From the Cisco page:
    You will need the following to schedule your lab exam:

•Valid Cisco user account
    •Identification number you used to register for your written exam (in the U.S. and Canada the ID number is generally your Social Security or Social Insurance number. In other regions, the testing vendor assigns the number.)
    •Date of your passing written exam
    •Passing score on written exam