Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I purchased Top Down Network Design, 3rd edition today. I've been reading it off and on for a few weeks now via our Books 24x7 account at work, but reading it on a webpage is inconvenient for something of this size. I was thinking it would be helpful for the presales gig if I get it and if not, itll be a good reference.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    x5150x5150 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, found out you can book it pretty quickly... there was a date available for June 5 two seats open. So less than 2 weeks. I thought you might need a few months. Of course based on availability though.
  • Options
    Good luck man!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I've been averaging around 3.5 hours a day because I've been sick for the past 1.5 weeks. I wrapped up OSPF and I'm now in the BGP section. I hate not having the energy, but I'm still logging some hours.
  • Options
    I've been staying steady at around 3-4 hours a day, sometimes more. I've also been reading articles on any of the topics that trip me up. I think my next course of action is to review all of the lab notes that I've taken to this point to keep myself fresh. I certainly see the issues with doing WBI in a linear fashion so I'm glad I have made notes that I can review periodically.
  • Options
    From time to time I look over Cisco config guys to keep my brain fresh on the material. A point that is often forgotten:

"In VTP versions 1 and 2, the switch must be in VTP transparent mode when you create private VLANs and when they are configured, you should not change the VTP mode from transparent to client or server mode. VTP version 3 also supports private VLANs in client and server modes. "
  • Options
    I read the 3560 Config Guide all day today. I only have Multicast Routing and MSDP left to read. I like to read over these guides every so often to get a refresh on the commands and features. I'll read over this tomorrow once I finish Multicast Routing and MSDP in the 3560 Config Guide:

Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 Mainline Configuration Guides - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    I've been reviewing theory all this week, but haven't getting any labbing done (unless you count day to day work). I'm going to pick back up on labbing next week. I've yet to hear anything from that presales gig, but I did have a network engineer interview for 10k more than I'm making now with 1/3 of the commute, as well as a Sr Network Engineer position with relocation. I have the face to face interview for the 10k more and closer job on Friday in the afternoon, as well as a 1 hour long tech phone interview for the Sr Network Engineer position on Friday at lunch time.
  • Options
    I got in a good amount of reading in Internet Routing Architectures and some DMVPN documentation from cisco. http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns171/c649/ccmigration_09186a008075ea98.pdf. I labbed for a few hours and tomorrow I will wake up early to get in about 10 hours of labbing.
  • Options
  • Options
    Anybody else feel guilty about being inside labbing on really nice days?
  • Options
    I'm contemplating doing a VOL2 lab instead of just continuing in a linear fashion through WBI. I just wrapped up VOL I Section 7 (BGP) and I was contemplating running through all of the multicast labs. I need help in that area so I will most likely do that.
    Here's the next phase:

Week 13: VOL2 Lab 4
    Week 14: VOL2 Lab 5
    Week 15: VOL2 Lab 6
    Week 16: VOL3 Labs 3+4

Week 17: VOL2 Lab 7
    Week 18: VOL2 Lab 8
    Week 19: VOL2 Lab 9
    Week 20: VOL3 Labs 5+6

Week 21: VOL2 Lab 10
    Week 22: VOL3 Lab 7+8
    Week 23: VOL4 Labs 1+2
    Week 24: Mock Lab 1
  • Options
    On Multicast again. Its been a crazy couple of days with job interviews, offers, and baby related tasks but I'm getting back into my studies.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any really good multicast links that they would like to share? I have read a lot of Cisco docs and some books, but I'm always looking for more.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any really good multicast links that they would like to share? I have read a lot of Cisco docs and some books, but I'm always looking for more.
    CCIE - The Beginning
    If you put it in google reader, it's easy to go back and see which posts he did on multicast. A lot of the ones from 2008 were on the subject. I love that they all come with little flash animations to describe the process visually.

IGMP
    PIM-SM w/ Auto-RP
    PIM-SM w/ BSR
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    CCIE - The Beginning
    If you put it in google reader, it's easy to go back and see which posts he did on multicast. A lot of the ones from 2008 were on the subject. I love that they all come with little flash animations to describe the process visually.

IGMP
    PIM-SM w/ Auto-RP
    PIM-SM w/ BSR

Thanks man! I'll check these out tonight.
  • Options
    I was offered a new job with an 18% higher base than i'm making now with an option of overtime. Most guys average an additional 20-30% in OT. I'm now a Sr Network Engineer for the country's largest Availability companies. (MASSIVE network) This came just in time for the company I'm working for now to be purchased by a larger company that really has no need for us. The commute will be about half of what I'm currently doing now.

I am almost done the multicast section. I'm on 8.28 - DVMRP Interoperability. My goal is to finish multicast before the end of today.
  • Options
    Excellent page explaining multicast routing table:

note paper: Understanding the multicast routing table
  • Options
    I just finished up the Multicast section of WBI (all 34 of them). That was by far the hardest lesson to date. Well, I'm back to full scale labs now.

Week 13: VOL2 Lab 4
    Week 14: VOL2 Lab 5
    Week 15: VOL2 Lab 6
    Week 16: VOL3 Labs 3+4

Week 17: VOL2 Lab 7
    Week 18: VOL2 Lab 8
    Week 19: VOL2 Lab 9
    Week 20: VOL3 Labs 5+6

Week 21: VOL2 Lab 10
    Week 22: VOL3 Lab 7+8
    Week 23: VOL4 Labs 1+2
    Week 24: Mock Lab 1
  • Options
    I feel kind of bad now, but I had to accept the new offer. My current employer was purchased by a much larger entity who said they were going to evaluate our positions and salaries, and the future is uncertain. We are expecting a baby in October so I couldn't play the guessing game. I start the new gig in a few weeks. I put my 2 weeks in yesterday and I feel extremely bad.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Don't feel bad. You have to do the best for your family. Keep going for the CCIE. It'll pay off in the end
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I understand feeling bad when you are leaving a bunch of coworkers that you enjoy being around. I am at the point when I am ready to move on from my current job. And, to date, I've never with and for a better group of people. I will feel kind of bad, but I'm sure the extra $$$ in the paychecks will help me get over it. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Don't feel bad. You have to do the best for your family. Keep going for the CCIE. It'll pay off in the end

Thanks. That's what I keep telling myself. Life has certainly improved since I started my CCIE Journey.
  • Options
    I understand feeling bad when you are leaving a bunch of coworkers that you enjoy being around. I am at the point when I am ready to move on from my current job. And, to date, I've never with and for a better group of people. I will feel kind of bad, but I'm sure the extra $$$ in the paychecks will help me get over it. :)

That's what I'm thinking. I will feel a lot better once I see the difference the increase in pay makes in our lives.
  • Options
    Well into WBII, Lab 4 now. Today I'm taking some time out to really beat up on Multicast theory between INE vids and books.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep strong James! Can't wait to see you come back with a winner.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Keep strong James! Can't wait to see you come back with a winner.

Thanks a lot! It has been quite a journey so far, but I'm enjoying every minute...
  • Options
    I'm on 6.1 in WBII, Lab 4. Its ZBF with some MPLS/VRF trickery. Learned quite a bit about ZBF. Wow...
  • Options
    I'm into WBII, Lab 5 now. I'm glad that I went back and did all exercises from the first 8 sections of WBI. That really helped judging from my performance in Lab 4. I also watched all of the multicast videos and have read a good deal about the different topics I covered in Lab 4, and what I've covered so far in Lab 5. I'm starting to get nervous about the new job, but I have two weeks before I start. The wife and I have been looking for a new place to live so that is exciting as well.
  • Options
    new one for me:

%BGP-6-NEXTHOP: Invalid next hop (254.192.2.52) received from FEC0:234::3: martian next hop

http://cciepursuit.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/little-green-men-in-my-router/