CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician

2»

Comments

• joyfuljoyful Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone!

I know I'm a bit late to the converstation, but I have been searching high and low for study material for the HIT-001 exam. Has anyone been able to find any?

Thanks!
    Joy
  • CASierceCASierce Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe the HIT-001 e-book has just been released. a google search produced this: http://www.comptia.org/documents/MDOC_STORAGE/CompTIA_10_Week_Guide_to_Healthcare_IT.pdf
  • beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zaxbysauce wrote: »
    Basically you need to know various common hospital departments, occuptaions, so on and so forth. For instance it asked where a phlebotomist would work, and then another question asked in which scenario would "breaking the glass" be necessary in EHR. The answer there was a phlebotomist trying to look at HIV results. So working at a hospital would give you that experience plus experience handling PHI and PII and working with HIPAA which are also big parts of the test.

This sounds similar to the Green IT exam I just took last week. No books out and nothing you can look over. I've worked in a hospital before a long long time ago and also had to utilized HIPPA in a job I had doing IT work at the VA... can you think of anything else one would need before going to take the exam? I just may take it for the hell of it...
    CASierce wrote: »
    I believe the HIT-001 e-book has just been released. a google search produced this: http://www.comptia.org/documents/MDOC_STORAGE/CompTIA_10_Week_Guide_to_Healthcare_IT.pdf

After going to take the Strata IT Fundamentals and flunking it I found out the book you referenced is NOT for the EXAM.
    That is for the Healthcare community CompTia has. The only book that is out is from Element K books.
    After going to take the Strata IT Fundamentals and flunking it I found out the book you referenced is NOT for the EXAM.
    That is for the Healthcare community CompTia has. The only book that is out is from Element K books.

Just found out ELEMENT K has the study book and practice CD in their books to help you study for the COMPTIA certifications. I've ordered two of them since I took the Strata and flunked it after doing self study and practice exams from places like U Certify. It appears the exam changed or another focus was added. 49 was needed to pass out of 70 questions and I got 37, only because of areas I did not study that was included within my material. Going back within 2 weeks for both! Wish me luck!!!
    mikecintel wrote: »
    Congrats on passing the exam and thanks for the info. Hmmm I wonder if I will pass the exam because I don't know enough about hospital but when the study material comes out and I will study it and still take the exam. I want to work in a hospital environment for a change as IT Technician.

Mike C

Did you ever take the exam? I found UCertify has practice questions and I've ordered them. Also there is a study book out by Element K as well for this one and Strata.
    joyful wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I know I'm a bit late to the converstation, but I have been searching high and low for study material for the HIT-001 exam. Has anyone been able to find any?

Thanks!
    Joy

Here is one from Element K including a voucher for the exam: CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician Voucher Courseware Bundle

This place has Strats IT Fundamentals books and Green IT Books: CompTIA - gtslearning North America store

Hope this helps and let me know if you take the exam!
    Vanessa
  • CASierceCASierce Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I apologize for that link. I didn't realize it.

Is element K reliable?

Cisco Networking Academy has a Healthcare Information Networking course, I have the bookware for that. do you think this is similar? or should I just buy the element K option?
    mikecintel wrote: »
    Congrats on passing the exam and thanks for the info. Hmmm I wonder if I will pass the exam because I don't know enough about hospital but when the study material comes out and I will study it and still take the exam. I want to work in a hospital environment for a change as IT Technician.

Mike C

The study material I picked up for it was Element K's book that just came out last week. They also give you a CD Rom in the back of the book to work with.

Vanessa
    CASierce wrote: »
    I apologize for that link. I didn't realize it.

Is element K reliable?

Cisco Networking Academy has a Healthcare Information Networking course, I have the bookware for that. do you think this is similar? or should I just buy the element K option?

Element K is CompTia Authorized. In fact on the front it has the CompTia logo with Element K/ CompTia Series so I think it should be ok.
    I would go with the Element K book. I picked the other one up for Strata and it's decent... I would rather study something in the ball park
    than waste another $100 plus bucks for the voucher to take the exam and pass because I did not have decent material. I've had that happen
    with Strata...

Vanessa
  • neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else taken this? I am on the fence about whether or not I want to pursue it or not. I am already employed at a hospital and do not think I will be taking another position at one after I advanced past the position I am already in. Thinking about picking up a study book even if I do not take the test because more HIPAA knowledge is good.
  • alexander007alexander007 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I taked and passed it on June 2...great cert for anyone in IT working with EHR
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    I have this cert, its worth it, my employer loves the fact that I have it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I work for one of the most prestigous hospitals in the world. I am thinking of looking into this certifications eventually. Sounds like a winner. I'm not sold on Strata or Green, but Healthcare has peaked my interest. Thanks for the discussion.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N2IT, I don't think it's worth your time since you have security, network, server and A+, as it's just rehash of those topics. There are probably more worthwhile certs you could spend your time on.

And so far the study materials are poor. I have a thread chronicling my experience.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cheers for the heads up
  • Sam5305Sam5305 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,

I know I am very late, but I just joined this forum and was wondering if there are any study materials out there to prepare for the ComTIA Healthcare IT cert? The only one I keep coming across is not even out yet, http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Healthcare-Technician-HIT-001-Authorized/dp/0789749297/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340602947&sr=8-1&keywords=healthcare+it+technician

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting to wonder why there is SO much overlap between the various CompTIA Certs. I mean, it's not like Network Administrators go out and get their Network+, PC technicians go and get A+, and Server administrators go get Server+ and call it a day.

Most of us who are interested in CompTIA certs generally are interested in obtaining many of them so we can learn DIFFERENT topics, yet you see a lot of the same questions on all of the tests.

Why not focus the Certs more on the actual topic of the Cert itself? I took Server+ yesterday and sort of feel like, there were maybe only half the questions on it related to Servers... does that really make sense to us? Shouldn't a Server exam be primarily focused on Servers?

I understand that you Need to know basic concepts of various topics in order to be successful in the real world (i.e. Server Admins definitely need to know how PCs and Networking works) but at the same time, you probably won't ever need to do Network subnetting if you're a Server administrator. Even if you did for some reason, you could easily look up how to do it when needed.

Just my $.02.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Probably why you should only invest in the A+, Sec+, Net+ and none of the others (except maybe Linux+ and CASP). I've taken more than a half dozen of their tests and there is overlap in server, network, PC and security fundemantals/concepts.

You get a little (very tiny) on say one of the specialized Cisco associate exams, but they don't review/rehash network fundemantals in CCNA Sec. But that's why the big money is in Cisco, M$, vmWare, Juniper, etc.
  • kad5118kad5118 Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow i wonder how good the health it cert pays
  • tigermantigerman Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know this response come late Sam5305 but in response to your question this book : CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician HIT-001 Authorized Cert Guide: Joy Dark, Jean Andrews: 9780789749291: Amazon.com: Books

was the best i could find to study for this exam has well.
    This exam look like a good one form my research and easy to pass. Expectantly for someone with an A+ and security + and so actual IT experience. Then this exam shouldn't be much of a challenge. The only problem I have found with this exam is the lack of study material because of this exam being so new.

For anyone think of taking it I would recommend using : CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician HIT-001 Authorized Cert Guide : CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician HIT-001 Authorized Cert Guide: Joy Dark, Jean Andrews: 9780789749291: Amazon.com: Books

Out of what is actual able for this exam I found this book to be one of the best, I also found the learn curve to be very minor. It real Medical Business Operations, Organizational Behavior and Regulatory Requirements objective you need to focus on, with a possible quick review of the rested. The rested of the objective are really just reviews of security+ and A+ days.
    The average base salary for healthcare IT tech is $78,000 according to CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician HIT-001 Authorized Cert Guide
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the HIT exam about a month ago. Having already taken several CompTIA exams over the years (A+, N+, Sec+, Server+, and more), and also having spent a few years of my career in the healthcare industry, and trained on HIPAA, I thought this Strata exam would be a quick easy knockout. I passed, but honestly found the exam more challenging than I expected. Honestly, I'm glad it was a little tougher than I expected, so it - hopefully - gives the exam some credibility. I mostly took it to help add to my IT and healthcare industry experience for the future. And at $102, and about the same for the study material I think it will at least have that return in knowledge.

I used the UCertify practice exams and Joy Dark/Jean Andrews' book for preparation.
  • tech_stonetech_stone Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For one that would like to get into healtcare, I suppose it is one way to get into health IT.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Like the price. I've done some work lately for some doctors as well as at a couple hospitals and this may help me get more work like that.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.