So a little birdie told me about a new MS at WGU

From a unnamed source, WGU will be offering a MS in Networks starting sometime this Winter. It will be a mix of MS and Cisco certs then a lot of theory based classes on how and why of things in networking. Just throwing it out there for anyone interested. You didn't hear this from me.

I'll have more info in a few weeks. Some classes will be carry over from the MS ISA so you could possibly start with that and switch when the degree is released.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I recommend that a student should just spend their money on ccie or jncie rather than getting a masters in networking.

I'm not hating but the whole point of education is to get paid more, right?
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, honestly I think the MSISA program still sounds better unless the new master degree program has CCNP level stuff, but I guess that will be high unlikely due to lack of CCNP resources for lab practices. I can't wait to see what this program has to offer.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I recommend that a student should just spend their money on ccie or jncie rather than getting a masters in networking.

certs expire, masters wont

im gonna wait and see whats in it before i go that route
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151

That's one of the big reasons that I did the MS:ISA program. Although getting the certs was a big reason as well.

I'm interested to know what kind of classes would be included in a MS networking program.
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205

Ehh...I think I'd choose CCIE over a Masters in Networking.

If your that good, your that good. I think the practical knowledge and experience would get you past HR without a Masters.

Either way, it's worth noting that all of us in IT are in for the long haul as far as continuing education is concerned, certs or degrees or not lol.
    Ya certs do expire but you won't get hire with MS in Networking w/ a year experience and become a network engineer or architect.

My point is find me a guy that has MS in networking that makes same a a guy with CCIE or JNCIE?

My job or my friends company will rather hire a guy with ccna than a MS in networking. I remember there was a guy here with MS in telecommunication that was having a hard time finding a helpdesk job.
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    why dont u just get both? :D
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    why dont u just get both? :D

Agreed.
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I think it's good for them to expand their Master's program offerings regardless. I personally would probably still take the MS-ISA over this, but that's just me.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

I have two goals - CCIE and a Master's degree. I haven't decided what I want a master's in, I've been kicking around the idea of an MBA in case I ever decide to move out of operations, but I might be interested in this. I've also toyed with the idea of doing some adjunct teaching at my local community college. I've gone back as a guest speaker for every Cisco academy class since I graduated at the request of my old teacher, and he's remarked that I handle a crowd and communicate information really well, and it's something I might want to consider.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I remember there was a guy here with MS in telecommunication that was having a hard time finding a helpdesk job.

That could have been me. I couldnt find a helpdesk job after my MS in Telcommunication (that's 4-5 years ago though). Once I dropped the MS from the resume I got my interviews and eventually landed a job.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Essendon wrote: »
    That could have been me. I couldnt find a helpdesk job after my MS in Telcommunication (that's 4-5 years ago though). Once I dropped the MS from the resume I got my interviews and eventually landed a job.

That was smart of you to see the personality of the market for what it really is, but based on other posts by you I'm really not surprised you thought to do something like that.

For myself, a degree that is a hybrid of Microsoft and higher level Cisco certs doesn't make sense. If you are dealing with professional level networking problems, that is not the same as server problems. They are two different and focused areas.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do not understand the logic of where this thread is heading. Seriously, why would anyone get a MS in anything and expect to settle for a job that a HS graduate/college dropout can get with a few certs (or sometimes...none at all)?

I have already done all of this without so much as any high level certs. My goal with an MS is to be that guy that hires a CCIE (or whomever). I'll tell you what though...I don't care how hard it is to be a CCIE....if his/her experience is solely that time he went to the Cisco Lab, vs. a CCNP with at least 5 years experience, I'm going with the guy who has both the big hat and the cattle.

I know there are many reasons for getting a MS, but getting an entry-level job should not be one of them. That'll be thousands of dollars wasted, otherwise.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□

A Master's will run around $30K. Recertifying will cost you a lot less.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ya certs do expire but you won't get hire with MS in Networking w/ a year experience and become a network engineer or architect.

My point is find me a guy that has MS in networking that makes same a a guy with CCIE or JNCIE?

My job or my friends company will rather hire a guy with ccna than a MS in networking. I remember there was a guy here with MS in telecommunication that was having a hard time finding a helpdesk job.

This thread is quickly spiraling down into the certs vs. degree argument. Lets not forget that a CCIE/JNCIE without experience is not going to help you immediately become a network engineer either. In fact, I would imagine most HR/managers would be suspicious. Anyhow, both serve their purpose if you know what you are getting them for.
    A Master's will run around $30K. Recertifying will cost you a lot less.

So.....rather than do a Masters, one should recertify a CCN(x), and other certs?

I can do both, as I may opt for the PMP in the forseeable future, and maybe a SSCP/CISSP. However, I think the Masters is the way to go for (at least) my career path and I'd shoot for that first.
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    The Master's at WGU sounds interesting, but I plan on only getting a Bachelors and then working my way up in the field and getting certs. My dad got a masters and he is such a loser he is making less then 40,000 a year with it. Good thing my parents are divorced now, he was an a-hole.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I really doubt it is going to be high level Cisco certs. It will probably just be CCNA and maybe CCNA wireless and security. Probably will be mixed in with a MCITP:SA.
    WGU grad
    My point here is which one is more cost effective.
    I believe that the reason why we are aiming for a higher education is because we want to get paid more in less amount of time. Now, lets compare:

Masters in Networking w/ a year exp:
    1. Will just start as a NOC tech or still trying to get a Network Engineer job.
    2. Spent 30k or more

A true CCIE or JNCIE w/ a year exp:
    1. Spent atleast 15k or less if he knows how to be cost effective.
    2. Will become a Network Engineer/Architect/Manager
    3. Will save money for the company due to IE discounts.

Now, who do you think will a Director or Manager will hire? A guy that went to school and the Manager is not sure that he was spending 1600hrs of his time in the CLI or a guy that is a true CCIE that went through thousands of hours in the CLI and spent hundreds of hours reading the cisco or juniper books?

Masters in Networking is great IF you have years of experience and working as a Network Engineer already. How much does a Masters really add up in your salary if you have experience? I see this at my work and I dont see people that has Masters get paid a great amount.

Just look at Monster.com, Careerbuilder, Dice.com. Compare how many are looking for a CCIE vs a Masters in Networking.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    If it's a point about being cost effective, why not go for CCIE first, get some good income, then get a Masters?

That seems a bit more logical to me. I think both would be great, especially since you can typically teach JC classes (ground or online) with a Master's in CS, IT, etc.

Just my two cents!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Not sure where people are getting this $30k number from. With WGU if you work at it you should get done in 2 terms. So, $6500? That is a far cry from $30k. And in the process you get a student loan to cover a CCIE lab/books/test/etc. Work on the CCIE while you finish up the masters. So in 2 years you can have your masters + CCIE and still be under the $15k.

But it doesn't matter to some people one dang bit what their employment prospects are going to be, they just want to better them selves and learn something new. If that means they get to add MS to their education - great!

I haven't decided myself but if I do take this MS and more so if I attack the CCIE I'd be around $32k in student loans. So for $32,000 I'll have a BS IT, MS Networking, CCNA/CCIE and very bright future. All along my wife is finishing her AS Vet Tech that alone cost $45,000.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    I haven't heard anyone that pass CCIE while going to college. I guess that's someone is smarter than Scott Morris or other triple CCIEs out there. Anyhow, Masters in 2 terms? What have a student really learn in 2 terms to deserve a Master?
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyhow, Masters in 2 terms? What have a student really learn in 2 terms to deserve a Master?

2 terms = 1 year. I've seen plenty of one year Masters programs. I have a friend right now going through a 1 year MS program in Health Administration.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I haven't heard anyone that pass CCIE while going to college. I guess that's someone is smarter than Scott Morris or other triple CCIEs out there. Anyhow, Masters in 2 terms? What have a student really learn in 2 terms to deserve a Master?

Whether you take the classes over 2 years or 2 terms you still have to take all the classes...
    If it's a point about being cost effective, why not go for CCIE first, get some good income, then get a Masters?

That seems a bit more logical to me. I think both would be great, especially since you can typically teach JC classes (ground or online) with a Master's in CS, IT, etc.

Just my two cents!

That's pretty much where I'm going. CCIE has the best and most immediate return on investment, so it's first.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□

I'll earn the following from WGU, hopefully in two terms:
    • Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®)
    • Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
    • EC-Council Disaster Recovery Professional Exam (312-76)
    • EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350)
    • EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349)
    • GIAC G2700 (Standards and Policies)
    I'll take learning like this over sitting in classroom lectures 2 nights a week for the next two years.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    A true CCIE or JNCIE w/ a year exp:
    1. Spent atleast 15k or less if he knows how to be cost effective.
    2. Will become a Network Engineer/Architect/Manager
    3. Will save money for the company due to IE discounts.

Do you have any evidence to support that a CCIE with a year experience is going to be a Network Engineer/Architect/Manager? I respect the CCIE a lot but I know that getting a CCIE isn't going to take a few weeks to a few months either.

And with all due respect, anyone with the right aptitude can learn a CLI syntax...I myself have been known to type a few show commands many moons ago, but I moved on to other areas in IT and Cisco has been removed from my resume. A guy with a MS will have more opportunities for advancement in today's business climate than a guy with an alphabet soup of certs.

I would like a CCIE to chime in on this.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I think I'll just have to do the MS and CCIE just to put this "Cert vs Degree" thing to bed. That way I can say neither is better or worse, I have both! Now... just to finish my Tech/Cap for my BS then on to proving myself.

It doesn't really matter. One job wants "x" other "y". It depends on YOU, and what YOU want. X and/or y may be better for you, it's up to YOU. Not have x and/or y may prevent you from a promotion, a raise, a new job, w/e. If you have a goal in mind, do what you need to do to get there. You may just want x AND y just say you have them. I don't where I'm going with this but point is do what makes you happy and gets you to your goals - who gives a darn which is better or worse.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    And with all due respect, anyone with the right aptitude can learn a CLI syntax...I myself have been known to type a few show commands many moons ago, but I moved on to other areas in IT and Cisco has been removed from my resume. A guy with a MS will have more opportunities for advancement in today's business climate than a guy with an alphabet soup of certs.

Well, I'm not a CCIE yet, though I'm in fullblown preparation for the lab. The CCIE is more than CLI syntax and running show commands, you have to know how all the pieces fit together. The different technologies don't exist in a vacuum, and the Law of Unintended Consequences is pretty easy to invoke. For example, if I make a simple change on a switch at layer 2, it could potentially effect my IGP, which could then in turn effect my BGP sessions, and all of a sudden, I'm routing traffic out the circuit that costs $100/mbit instead of the one that costs $5/mbit. This would be Bad, especially if I didn't catch it until the next bill came in.

So basically the CCIE needs to have a jedi-like sense of what's going on in their network. People with that level of drive and ability tend to do quite well in the workplace.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence to support that a CCIE with a year experience is going to be a Network Engineer/Architect/Manager? I respect the CCIE a lot but I know that getting a CCIE isn't going to take a few weeks to a few months either.

I actually dont when it comes to CCIE. However, I have evidence that CCNP's with a year experience gets a Network Engineer position. I've even seen CCNA that has a year experience gets a Network Engineering job.

A guy with MS will have more opportunities? Well, I cant debate on that since I am not a MS guy but my co workers are MS guys and I dont see them rolling in a nice car or having a nice house. They actually work long hours trying to fix servers and VMs, long hours than me, and they get paid salary. Also, I know they dont get paid as much as me since they told me their salaries.

There's more into it than just learning the CLI syntax. Its going to be too long to get my point across if I go step by step. I think Forsaken post a lil piece of the big pie.

I'm sure most of the people here in TE have the right aptitude but how come only a few are CCIE or JNCIE's?