SDM in home lab

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
So I've been playing with getting SDM working on my home lab this evening and have had a couple issues crop up. I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do is beyond the scope of CCENT/CCNA (I don't think it should be since my lab is a SOHO but I could be wrong).

IOS Version - c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.t1.bin. 2620xm router.

Was trying to get SDM running but I don't have a crossover cable at the moment.

Problem #1 - Ran my main PC into a switch. Changed the IP of the router to 192.168.1.1, switch ip address is 192.168.1.2, PC set to 192.168.1.29. All with /24 mask. I don't get an error when SDM starts, but it doesn't go beyond the first window for SDM v2.5, the window that lists "Mozilla V.xx / Java V.x". Is this not feasible, do I need an internet connection (a feed to my ISP) for this to work? I assumed it would work just fine like my web based routers (cheap linksys ones) always have without an internet connection.

Problem #2 - Assumed problem #1 was related to no net, so I reconnected my PC to the Verizon FIOS router, ran a ethernet cable to my 2620XM FA0/0 port. This did the trick letting me into SDM. Got all the pop ups. Once I got into SDM though, I couldn't do a lot of things. A box would be clickable, and once I would click it it would grey out. I had no DHCP settings available. The bottom box on the left bar "Advanced/extra options" or whatever it was, when clicked, did nothing. Literally nothing. I've been digging around the Cisco site and can't find any confirmation or otherwise saying 2620xm doesn't support DHCP.

Sorry for the wall of text, figured I'd lay it all out and hope someone can eliminate one of the walls I'll be banging my head on tonight.

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With problem #1, I have no idea why it didn't work, when it did when you arrived at problem #2.

But for problem #2, I can say with quite certainty that the issue is with the version of java you have installed on your PC. I get the best results with Java 1.6u3. SDM is pretty old now, and things just don't work right with more recent versions of Java.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    alan2308 wrote: »
    With problem #1, I have no idea why it didn't work, when it did when you arrived at problem #2.

But for problem #2, I can say with quite certainty that the issue is with the version of java you have installed on your PC. I get the best results with Java 1.6u3. SDM is pretty old now, and things just don't work right with more recent versions of Java.

I've downloaded and installed Java 1.6.03 and the initial web site that pops up for SDM say java is not enabled. I did remove 1.6.26 because disabling in the java version tab did not get SDM up and running.

Any suggestions?
  • mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also had this problem recently, although I was using the SDM demo rather than trying to configure a physical router. Hopefully this should still help.

The way I got it to work was uninstalling all Java versions. Rebooting, installing Java version 1.4.2_05.

After installing that and disabling popup blocker, I was able to load SDM and get into the advanced section to create DHCP pools etc.

Software used:

OS - XP Pro SP3
    IE version - 8

Hope this helps. No internet connection required by the way.
    I finally figured it out. The problem is apparently Mozilla Firefox. As soon as I removed Firefox, reinstalled java, and used IE it worked. My desktop still hangs up for some odd reason but my laptop has 100% functionality.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Ain't SDM great?

Heh, no. I actually don't like it at all. I'd rather be in CLI. I don't see how the CLI DHCP config is anywhere near as time consuming as it took for me to get SDM working ;(

I've heard Cisco is going to be releasing a replacement for SDM though, so maybe it will have some support in terms of compatibility.
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Yea... SDM if extremely finicky at best. When I was studying for my ENT, I spent a whole evening trying to get it working and about 10 minutes actually using it. It was terrible. I would suggest sticking with CLI, I have a feeling that cisco knows how bad sdm is and, for that reason, don't base much of the exam topics on it.

That being said, still know it just in case icon_cheers.gif
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Yea... SDM if extremely finicky at best. When I was studying for my ENT, I spent a whole evening trying to get it working and about 10 minutes actually using it. It was terrible. I would suggest sticking with CLI, I have a feeling that cisco knows how bad sdm is and, for that reason, don't base much of the exam topics on it.

That being said, still know it just in case icon_cheers.gif

I spent the span of probably 20 hours to get it working. Part of my problem was, I had a gut feeling that Firefox wasn't playing nice with it but setting IE to default would not let SDM load using IE. I had to manually remove Firefox from my system in order to get SDM to use IE (and I waited to do this last because I don't like IE at all). First try with IE after removing Firefox it started. Still can't get it to run on my desktop for some reason.
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You think thats bad? Try getting it to work in Linux. Took me hours, and a lot of googling, but I got it working.

Nate
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Heh, no. I actually don't like it at all. I'd rather be in CLI.

Keep that mindset. IMO, you don't need the SDM, just learn everything in the CLI and you will be fine. When the GUI breaks or Java decides to act up your back to GUI anyways so you might as well just stay there.

my .02
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    Keep that mindset. IMO, you don't need the SDM, just learn everything in the CLI and you will be fine. When the GUI breaks or Java decides to act up your back to GUI anyways so you might as well just stay there.

my .02

That is my feeling as well. I was a bit dumbfounded last night when taking my Exsim-Max practice test and I ran across needing to know specific DHCP configs. It's a good thing I set my SDM to always preview commands before sending them to the router.

I'd love to just stay in CLI 100%, trust me lol.
    That is my feeling as well. I was a bit dumbfounded last night when taking my Exsim-Max practice test and I ran across needing to know specific DHCP configs. It's a good thing I set my SDM to always preview commands before sending them to the router.

I'd love to just stay in CLI 100%, trust me lol.

I would just stay CLI, don't get caught up in the SDM because it is not going to help you any. I do not know of any network engineers that use SDM in an actual environment. The only thing even close is the ASDM for ASA firewalls, but it is 10000x better than SDM. All your exams will test you on CLI configs and output so I would drop it now before you invest too much time in it.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    I would just stay CLI, don't get caught up in the SDM because it is not going to help you any. I do not know of any network engineers that use SDM in an actual environment. The only thing even close is the ASDM for ASA firewalls, but it is 10000x better than SDM. All your exams will test you on CLI configs and output so I would drop it now before you invest too much time in it.

I was under the impression the actual Cisco exam will test on being in, and using the SDM environment for DHCP and/or NAT/PAT. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and not be prepared for a question. You know?
    I was under the impression the actual Cisco exam will test on being in, and using the SDM environment for DHCP and/or NAT/PAT. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and not be prepared for a question. You know?

My mistake, I just looked back at the blueprint and seen the SDM. Personally it is one of the few things I think it's waste of time to learn, but since it's on the exam I guess you have to at least look at it some. At least you will only have to deal with it for these topics
    • Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router (using both CLI and SDM)

You could always get those out of the way, at least then you can get into the real stuff in the CLI.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    I was told that, while I could probably get by without using SDM for ICND1 and just going off what is in the books, I would need to be able to use it for ICND2.

Not true? I hope so.
    Here is the ICND2 blueprint - taken from Cisco Learning Network - I don't see SDM

640-816 ICND2 Exam Topic (Blueprint)
    Exam Description
    The 640-816 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 (ICND2) is the exam associated with the Cisco Certified Network Associate certification. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 (ICND2) v1.1 course. This exam tests a candidate's knowledge and skills required to successfully install, operate, and troubleshoot a small to medium size enterprise branch network. The exam covers topics on VLSM and IPv6 addressing; extending switched networks with VLANs; configuring, verifying and troubleshooting VLANs; the VTP, RSTP, OSPF and EIGRP protocols; determining IP routes; managing IP traffic with access lists; NAT and DHCP; establishing point-to- point connections; and establishing Frame Relay connections.

Exam Topics
    The following topics are general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes, the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
    Describe enhanced switching technologies (including: VTP, RSTP, VLAN, PVSTP, 802.1q)
    Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot trunking on Cisco switches
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTP
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RSTP operation
    Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network
    Implement basic switch security (including: port security, unassigned ports, trunk access, etc.)
    Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    Calculate and apply a VLSM IP addressing design to a network
    Determine the appropriate classless addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment
    Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc)
    Describe IPv6 addresses
    Identify and correct common problems associated with IP addressing and host configurations
    Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices
    Compare and contrast methods of routing and routing protocols
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot OSPF
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot EIGRP
    Verify configuration and connectivity using ping, traceroute, and telnet or SSH
    Troubleshoot routing implementation issues
    Verify router hardware and software operation using SHOW & DEBUG commands
    Implement basic router security
    Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network
    Describe the purpose and types of access control lists
    Configure and apply access control lists based on network filtering requirements
    Configure and apply an access control list to limit telnet and SSH access to the router
    Verify and monitor ACL's in a network environment
    Troubleshoot ACL implementation issues
    Explain the basic operation of NAT
    Configure Network Address Translation for given network requirements using CLI
    Troubleshoot NAT implementation issues
    Implement and verify WAN links
    Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    Troubleshoot WAN implementation issues
    Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)
    Configure and verify PPP connection between Cisco routers
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    Yeah I had looked over that, and I didn't see SDM listed on there. I recall someone on the Cisco website study group mentioning it's used in ICND2. I'll have to go look and get some clarification.
    Yeah I had looked over that, and I didn't see SDM listed on there. I recall someone on the Cisco website study group mentioning it's used in ICND2. I'll have to go look and get some clarification.

Those people might have gotten the CCNA book that covers both exams. You can't go wrong with the blueprint.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You think thats bad? Try getting it to work in Linux. Took me hours, and a lot of googling, but I got it working.

Nate

Why would you go through all that trouble? I understand SDM is java-based and only use the web browser, but couldn't you just use virtual machine instead?
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If you progress to CCNA Security you'll become even more intimately familiar with it.
    QHalo wrote: »
    If you progress to CCNA Security you'll become even more intimately familiar with it.

That "was" my plan. Now? I don't know about that. I've heard Cisco will be replacing SDM with something in the near future.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    That "was" my plan. Now? I don't know about that. I've heard Cisco will be replacing SDM with something in the near future.

Cisco Configuration Professional - Products & Services - Cisco Systems
    QHalo wrote: »

I gotta admit it looks a lot sexier than the sh*tty SDM.
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why would you go through all that trouble? I understand SDM is java-based and only use the web browser, but couldn't you just use virtual machine instead?

Yeah I know, a pointless exercise really. It should have been easy enough to do, but of course things never quite work out that way. And once I'd started on it I had to finish it. :)

Nate
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I gotta admit it looks a lot sexier than the sh*tty SDM.

Its mostly just lipstick on a pig. A lot of the screens are actually the same as the ones in sdm. However i have had better luck with it than sdm although i know a lot people that have had terrible luck with it.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
    Its mostly just lipstick on a pig.QUOTE]

I don't think Miss Piggy would appreciate what you just said. icon_lol.gif Anyway, the most important thing is that we would be able to get the newer version to work without toying around with it for hours.