Options

What type of workout do you use to gain muscle and lose weight?

13»

Comments

• Options
    mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually have some training ripped to mp3 so i can jog/walk while learning ;)
  • Options
    SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I need to start back up, but I do pushups and windsprints.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Remove sodas from your diet completely. After a month of doing nothing but that i've dropped 15 pounds. They're empty calories and absolutely horrible for your body. Also, cut down on going out to eat. Cook your own meals, and I don't mean a frozen pizza or TV dinner. Also check your portion sizes, most people eat way more than they should.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    this is what I do..

-work out 4-5 times a week at gym. weights/cardio
    -my off day I run 5 miles
    -remove fast food from diet, find healthy recipes on interwebs. Eat fresh produce

I can typically get to the gym around 5:30ish stay for 1 to 1.5 hours, go home eat and make a pot of coffee...I drink it black to keep me awake while I study

hope that helps
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Saw a couple posts about not having time to workout between work/studying/life etc. My advice is to re-prioritize things so you can get to the gym, or whatever your method of focused activity is. Oddly enough, getting in to shape will probably help you out more than passing that next exam, to name just one benefit. Fit people get jobs easier, maintain jobs easier and have a better overall quality of life. Besides work and my son, my health is next on the priority list, definitely ahead of studying for my next exam.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rsutton wrote: »
    Saw a couple posts about not having time to workout between work/studying/life etc. My advice is to re-prioritize things so you can get to the gym, or whatever your method of focused activity is. Oddly enough, getting in to shape will probably help you out more than passing that next exam, to name just one benefit. Fit people get jobs easier, maintain jobs easier and have a better overall quality of life. Besides work and my son, my health is next on the priority list, definitely ahead of studying for my next exam.

I've said this before here on TE. Having shed over 125 lbs (57 kg) I can honestly say I am treated differently now. Not really by people who "knew me when" - what I am saying is that my interactions with people who are strangers to me are different now than when my percentage of body fat was over 50. I find it very hard to qualify exactly what is different. It's more in attitude, I guess.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've said this before here on TE. Having shed over 125 lbs (57 kg) I can honestly say I am treated differently now. Not really by people who "knew me when" - what I am saying is that my interactions with people who are strangers to me are different now than when my percentage of body fat was over 50. I find it very hard to qualify exactly what is different. It's more in attitude, I guess.

I imagine people have different reasons for treating you differently; however I think a big one is that someone who is obese, medical conditions aside, can be viewed as someone who doesn't care enough about their body, their health and even their mental state enough to change things. I have been in those shoes also, and can also testify to the difference in how people treat you. I have a lot of respect for people who maintain their bodies, that respect translates in to a certain amount of trust, which is beneficial on the job.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I workout with a personal trainer 3 times a week, Right now he has got me on the golden 5 and I can tell you it is a killer my workout below.

Warm Up
    15 Mins Trampoline or Hitting the Punch Bag

Chin Ups

3 Sets aim for 10

Barbell Squat

3 Sets of 15

Press Ups

I basically do the press up game, Trainer does a press Up I then do One, He then Does Two etc, until failure

Deadlifts Barbell

3 Sets Of 15

Situps

3 X 20 Normal, 3X Normal straight legged.

Sometimes the press ups get substituted by Bench Press, Lot's of compound exercises in the above workout and I am getting good gains :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    ally_uk wrote: »
    I workout with a personal trainer 3 times a week, Right now he has got me on the golden 5 and I can tell you it is a killer my workout below.
    Sometimes the press ups get substituted by Bench Press, Lot's of compound exercises in the above workout and I am getting good gains :)

What sort of rest are you doing between sets?

Are you doing each exercise in sequnce or completing each set of the exercise before moving to the next exercise?

Also, what's your goal?
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    I do a mix of insanity / p90x I use to be 296lb, I'm 217 now...so yea they work... if your have room to workout in your living room / attic / basement... it beats traveling to the gym...and paying for it

I 2nd that. I, too do Insanity and P90X (usually both in the same day). Though, since I've been busy with work and studying I haven't had much time to do both.

I definitely agree though, if you buy both programs you'll not only save money in the long run but you'll also see proper results. Unlike a gym where you just pay to lift some weights. The BeachBody products come with a huge selection of meals and plans for your work outs. Much easier than browsing the internet for meals for weeks on end.

In January I went from 170lbs down to 148lbs in 60 days (just doing the Insanity program).
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    crazychrono100crazychrono100 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just do pushups, situps, planks, squats and bicep curls. I like to do weightless workouts since they can be done anywhere and it's easy to do. I tried the p90x program but dang that thing is hard. A week of that just killed me. I lost almost 5 lbs in a week doing that. Right now I'm in pretty decent shape 5'10 160 lbs but with a little gut from sitting all day at work. How does one get a nice six pack abs? That is one of the hardest thing to achieve in life imo.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey there 1 minute 30 seconds between sets sometimes he drops it to a minute.

Once you complete the exercise you go straight into the next one no pain no gain, My goals are I want to push my body to the limit, I do not want to go for the bodybuilder look but want to be ripped, I am getting pretty toned already but hey it's early days and everyday is another opportunity to push yourself further.

keep working hard lads :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that "gain muscle and lose weight" is an oxymoron. There is such a thing as a "clean bulk." Technically if you lose weight you can still get stronger along the way. But that's probably not the kind of strength the non-fitnut is looking for however...there's a difference between hypertrophy (big muscles), true strength, and endurance. And different ways to train those metabolic pathways too.

Anyway, to do this it wouldn't be the workout so much as the diet. Not a nutritionist or anything but I've seen good results with eating as much vegetables as I want (to satiety), splitting the protein and grains, and controlling energy levels with healthy fats. I vary my exercising between Sealfit, distance running, biking and swimming. Paleo is good, far better than Zone imho.

The easiest way to increase your strength and size is to eat more, while keeping the intensity high. Ideally I think that one would want to gain a ton of weight while training for size (8-10 reps), then cut. And not do that more than a few times. Multiple waves of increasing your size and decreasing your weight isn't good for you. Sorta like if you've worked third shift ever before you can have bouts of shift-work sleep disorder come and go: just havoc on the serotonin, dopamine, melatonin, etc.

Most longevity information I've seen recommend calorie restriction too, by the way.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Hard to drop soda. It's just the perfect drink for meals. Oh boy.... :\
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Stevelord: I feel your pain, Ive tried to stop drinking pop/coke for the past year or two. Sometimes I can go 1-3 weeks without it..but it just goes so well with steak and chicken or when you need a little boost.

As far as my workout, I like to work 3-4 body parts per workout session. I'm trying to limit my time at the gym so I have more time to study..so I go hard for 60-70 mins with 3-4 body parts and then wait 1-2 days do the same thing but change up body parts and routine.
  • Options
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Hey there 1 minute 30 seconds between sets sometimes he drops it to a minute.

Once you complete the exercise you go straight into the next one no pain no gain, My goals are I want to push my body to the limit, I do not want to go for the bodybuilder look but want to be ripped, I am getting pretty toned already but hey it's early days and everyday is another opportunity to push yourself further.

keep working hard lads :)

Looks like a good workout for your goals!