Options

BGP + MPLS Exam vs 2 separate tests.

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
If I were to pursue my CCIP is it recommended to take the 642-692 (BGP + MPLS) or the two separate tests BGP (642-661) & MPLS (642-611).

Is their any real different real difference between 1 exam path vs the 2 exam path or is simply like the CCNA 1 exam vs the 2 exam path.
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    It's uncomparable in terms of difficulty but yes either way you slice it, the same material is testable whether testing individually or as a composite exam. Personally I would take them both individually and really focus on learning one at a time. Whichever path you choose make sure you study BGP prior to MPLS.

Edit: I see that you are reading the BGP Design and Implementation book. Do you already have a pretty solid foundation in BGP? If not I would recommend reading either Internet Routing Architectures, or the BGP section in Routing TCP/IP vol 2 first.
  • Options
    As far as my BGP knowledge goes..

Basic BGP that got through CCNP (was over a year ago)
    I've done some the GNS3 Labs
    Plus whatever BGP experience comes from work
    Half way through the BGP Design & Implementation Book
    Got the INE BGP Video Course (Haven't gone through it yet though)

I've got Routing TCP/IP Volume I Second Edition, have picked up Volume II yet.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I heard the composite was easier, so I took that. It was pretty simple, IMO. A few easy sims and the normal multiple choice/d&d/etc. I was told the individual exams have a lot more sims.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I also took the composite. I didnt want to come back to the test center twice. lol I recommend you take the composite.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I'll be taking the composite after I am done with QoS. I'm also in agreement that one trip to the test center is better than two AND paying for one exam ($200) is better than paying for two exams ($400)!!!

Put the money saved towards your CCIE study materials or an INE course.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I took both exams, and studied for them individually. Since the CCIP was part of my CCIE preparation, I didn't feel it was wise to take any short cuts, and I only had to focus on the part that was important for that one exam, rather than having to study both subjects at the same time.

Your mileage may vary. If you do decide to do the 2 exam route, make sure you do BGP first, as a solid foundation in BGP is necessary for the MPLS exam.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Less trips to the testing center the better. Thats why I did the composite.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took both exams indivdually - i have no idea why i just did.

I Passed both exams first time. The Materials I used:
    BGP:
    Student Guide (can't remember version will check if you like)
    Internet routing architectures
    CBT nuggets (CCNP Videos)
    TrainSignal (CCNP Videos)
    Cisco Documentation

MPLS
    MPLS Student Guide V2.1
    MPLS and VPN Architectures
    MPLS Fundamentals (some parts not the whole book)
    INE MPLS bootcamp

Labs
    GNS3 3640 Telco Image.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys!

The single test does sound like a better deal but I'll see how I feel after all this BGP stuff. (I'm a big fan of the divide and conquer motto)

Looks I'll have to pick up Internet Routing Architectures & Routing TCP/IP Volume II..

(I'll probably start a thread when I tackle the MPLS portion)

I think my biggest problem is going to be free time.. This new job is keeping me busy, I was in NY last and in Chicago for a few days this week. While I am busy the sheer amount experience and network technologies I'm working with are completely worth it (Working with BGP on an almost daily basis now so it should make this easier). After spending hours in the airport and on a few planes I now understand the convenience of eBooks. icon_smile.gif

Now to study.. and hopefully get some more blog post going this week!!
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Just to follow up, how goes the study efforts?
  • Options
    Going good so far.

I've finished the INE BGP Videos, I've went through a bunch of the videos more then once.
    I've read the BGP Portion of Routing TCP/IP Volume II
    Not quite done with BGP Design & Implementation yet.. Just a few more chapters to go... I ended up stopping this book to go through BGP in Routing TCP/IP Volume II.. I've also been skimming through Internet Routing Architectures.. Not to mention reviewing all my older CCNP BGP material, but now I'm heading back into BGP Design & Implementation head first.

It's really been showing since I've found it much more easier to troubleshoot BGP issues at work.

Another week or so and I should be done with the BGP Design & Implementation book, then I'll start my way into MPLS. Hopefully I'll get my BGP Study Notes posted on my Blog before then.

I'll be getting some more BGP blog posts out over the next few weeks to reinforce the BGP Knowledge as I go into MPLS..

Work has been keeping me busy, so I haven't really been able to get my 4-5 hours of studying in a day.. (If it wasn't for that then I have no doubt I would have moved on to MPLS by now, but i'm sure the real world experience is going to more valuable then anything I read in a book). In fact I'm in NJ for the next day so I've been traveling.. The time on the planes leaves for some good eBook reading icon_study.gif

Still no timeline on when I going to take a test yet.. so whenever I get to it icon_smile.gif

(Boy it has been a while since I updated this thread)
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well I finished up with BGP Design & Implementation, spent a good portion of the day labbing in GNS3..

I'm gonna lab out a few more things over the next few days and then jump into MPLS...

For MPLS I got the following:
    Videos

INE MPLS Videos

Books (In this order)

MPLS Fundamentals
    MPLS & VPN Architectures
    MPLS & VPN Architectures Volume II

You guys recommend any other MPLS Books? I was going to read the books in the order mentioned.

I didn't realize Cisco raised their exam fees from 150 to 200 bucks an exam.. I'm going to tackle the BGP+MPLS Exam..
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I didn't realize Cisco raised their exam fees from 150 to 200 bucks an exam.. I'm going to tackle the BGP+MPLS Exam..

This is actually why I am doing the composite over each individual exam. While $200 may not be the end of the world, that means less tokens on the vol I-IV lab material.

The MPLS fundamentals and INE videos should be more than enough to pass the Composite. Keep us up to date on your progress!
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    Yea I've started MPLS fundamentals, I'm going to spend some time on the first few chapters this weekend to understand the theory behind it.. Maybe read and RFC or to.

Thanks for the link for the vouchers I may go a head an use those!
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    I've really been able to get some good study time in. I've covered the part of MPLS fundamentals and the couple INE videos. I'm really liking how in depth MPLS fundamentals goes.

Now that all the intro stuff is out of the way, I'm going to start jumping into the labbing.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Sounds like you made some great progress this weekend. You are getting closer and closer to attempting the Composite
  • Options
    Getting closer but I still got a ways to go.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Busy week... but I Got into the configuration of MPLS VPNs a bit so far.. VRFs, RD, route-targets. I'll be continuing to lab this throughout this week.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Busy week... but I Got into the configuration of MPLS VPNs a bit so far.. VRFs, RD, route-targets. I'll be continuing to lab this throughout this week.

My favorite part!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The single test does sound like a better deal but I'll see how I feel after all this BGP stuff. (I'm a big fan of the divide and conquer motto)

Looks I'll have to pick up Internet Routing Architectures & Routing TCP/IP Volume II..

Hey I wanted to get your opinion on those two books. Do they provide a good solid foundation for BGP. I ordered both of them as BGP is about to become very important to me.
  • Options
    Hey I wanted to get your opinion on those two books. Do they provide a good solid foundation for BGP. I ordered both of them as BGP is about to become very important to me.

I would say it is THE BGP book. (At least for the Cisco world.)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DPG wrote: »
    I would say it is THE BGP book. (At least for the Cisco world.)

Which one?
  • Options
    Which one?

Internet Routing Architectures
  • Options
    "IRA" is a great book but I would supplement the studies with some additional reading. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the text right now and have been reviewing Cisco documentation to fill some of the gaps.

I've also found that watching the INE BGP videos while doing cardio makes time go a bit faster!
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    My favorite part!

Agreed!
  • Options
    I'd start with the BGP portion of Routing TCP/IP Volume II (This will cover some good configurations and how it works), then read IRA. IRA will also give you some history and background information, along with common situations.

That should give you a great background for BGP.

BGP Design & Implementation is also great and gets into much greater detail, but it doesn't hold your hand as much as the first books.

Those books and the INE videos have really helped me a great deal and I've been dealing with BGP just about everyday.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Well, I was able to finish up the MPLS fundamentals book, and the INE Videos. I'm going to spend the next week re-capping and reviewing everything then take a stab at this exam. Might try for an attempt as early as this Friday, or next Monday the latest.

Review time icon_smile.gif

Thinking of picking up the Boson exams, but we'll see.
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    Good luck with the exam! I haven't started the INE videos yet for MPLS (this week's flights maybe?) but it'll be coming soon. I just started on MPLS fundamentals after finishing with BGP studies.

In the meantime... Lab Lab Lab Lab Lab!

Let us know how well you do!
  • Options
    Yea I'm feeling very confident on the BGP side, I deal with a lot more BGP at work then I do MPLS, so I've been labbing and reading through MPLS Fundamentals very heavily.

We shall see soon enough.
    My Networking blog