Critique my resume...plz

johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
First Lastname
XXX Address Ave. City, NY XXXXX
555-555-5555 emailAddress@here.com
Skills
Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT), August 2011
CompTIA Network+ Certified, June 2011
Completed 3 months of CompTIA A+, Network+, & CCNA classroom training at New York Business Institute
Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs such as, Excel, Word, & Outlook
G.E. Security - Picture Perfect, Access Vision (Used to monitored IDF rooms, door alarms, and panic alarms)
G.E. Security - Wave Reader & Wave Watch (Used as a front-end UI for DVR monitoring, and to ping remote cameras)
Plans to pursue MCITP: Server Administrator certification on Windows Server 2008
Type 60+WPM

Work Experience
9/2006 - 3/2009 Credit-Suisse / Allied Barton Security Services, 11 Madison Ave, NYC 10010

Command Center Supervisor
· Answered all phone inquiries regarding security procedures, building facilities issues, and building access cards
· Assistant to 3 Allied Barton Account Managers
· The overseeing of Credit-Suisse’ door, panic, and IDFs alarms station
· Respond quickly and calmly to medical & fire emergencies while quickly relaying direction to first responders
· Arrange visits with various security vendors for maintenance, or repair of on site equipment such as cameras, card readers, door contacts, and DVRs
· Answer hundreds of alarms for over 45 Credit-Suisse sites in the Americas using G.E. Security programs such as Picture Perfect, Wave Reader, and Wave Watch
· Weekly playback inspection of 80+ digital video recorders (DVRs)
· Daily remote inspection of over 300 Credit-Suisse’ security cameras in the Americas

Corporate Receptionist
· Meet & greet hundreds of employees and visitors while providing them with security I.D. badges
· Simultaneously signing in guests and visitors while dealing with numerous incoming phone calls
· Keep visitor reservation emails organized and concise for future referencing
· Booking conference rooms for various company functions
· Contacting appropriate Credit-Suisse personnel when visitors arrive
· Provide clear direction and assistance to visitors and employees when needed
· Acting as liaison with couriers during after hrs and weekend shifts
· Constant use of company intranet & e-mail system

3/2004 - 9/2006 McDonald’s, Brooklyn, New York, 11237

Crew – Maintenance / Cashier
· Installed POS operating system upgrades for restaurant’s DOS based cash registers
· Backed up DVR recordings of restaurant’s security camera footage on various storage mediums
· Multi-task in a very fast paced work environment
· Standing for 8hrs+ shifts while maintaining high quality of customer service.
· Worked AM shift to receive truck deliveries

Education
2010 – 2011 - New York Business Institute - A+, Network+, CCNA certification courses
2004 – 2005 - LaGuardia Community College - Computer Operations: Network Administration
2003 – 2004 - DeVry University - Computer Electronics
1998 – 2002 - Bushwick High School - Desktop Publishing

References
XXX XXX
XXX XXX
XXX XXX
My goal is for a jr NOC level 1, or help desk...I will be sitting for ICND2 very soon <3 weeks
My previous position was a Console Operator, I've heard it referred to as a SOC, similar to a NOC just different issues, more focused on security issues.

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm not a resume expert, but that's what I would do:

1. Remove references, if they need them, they will ask you.

2. Put Education on top

3. Then make a seperate section for certifications.

4. Then a seperate secrion for skills summary, and list some of the things you learned from certifications/trainings.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I'm not a resume expert either, but here are a few things that jumped out at me.

1. Fifth line under skills. Change "used to monitored" to "used to monitor" or "use to monitor" depending on what you are trying to say.

2. Sixth line under skills remove the comma between monitoring and "and".

3. How far are you on the MCITP: Server Administrator? If you aren't very close to finishing (>60%), then I would take it off.

4. Under "Command Center Supervisor", I would change it to "Oversee" or something similar and remove the "the".

5. Why are you referring to the "Americas" when you are applying for a job in the United States?

6. You need to work a little on your tense (answered, booking, contacting, keep, etc). Decide which tense you want and roll with it.

7. Where you have "8hrs+", please write out hours. It is a personal pet peeve of mine when people abbreviate hours. And the plus sign isn't much better. I would suggest simply writing out 8 hours. But honestly, since you were a cashier in this position, I'm not sure I would even put the standing part.

8. Moe education to the top.

9. Make certifications easier to read (I would suggest a separate heading)

10. I would expand on your skills section. You clearly have some type of management experience, a few certifications, and the ability to make quick/effective decisions.
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suggest combining education and certification under one heading - list your education first, followed by your certs. Did you receive a degree or certificate from the colleges? If so, definitely list them and the title of the major (Example: A.S. Computer Electronics - DeVry University). Also, you can probably leave high school off your resume. Since you have some college under your belt, that implies you graduated high school. Besides, if your goal is a NOC position, a prospective employer probably isn't going to be interested in desktop publishing.
  • Options
    FatalMattFatalMatt Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would get rid of some of the duties you listed like:

· Constant use of company intranet & e-mail system
    · Provide clear direction and assistance to visitors and employees when needed

Both are kind of a given for a receptionist and frees up some space.
  • Options
    Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Usually when a manager sees High School Degree and McDonalds on a resume they auto bin it.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Usually when a manger sees High School Degree and McDonalds on a resume they auto bin it.

That would be discrimination. But in the real world it happens. Do we think the OP needs to obfuscate the happy meal job somehow?
  • Options
    historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    That would be discrimination. But in the real world it happens. Do we think the OP needs to obfuscate the happy meal job somehow?

I'm torn on this. It does show a work history despite not being directly related to IT. He might be able to highlight soft-skills such as teamwork or leadership that would be conducive to the job he's trying to get.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm not a resume expert, but that's what I would do:

1. Remove references, if they need them, they will ask you.
    2. Put Education on top
    3. Then make a seperate section for certifications.
    4. Then a seperate secrion for skills summary, and list some of the things you learned from certifications/trainings.

I agree with what he said, except point #2. I don't think you should put education on top, that belongs on the bottom, after your job history and be more specific with your duties/responsibilities.

Also, as I mentioned in your other topic, training doesn't belong in skills. Active Directory, DHCP, or DNS are skills, saying you completed a 3 month training is not, nor is "Plans to pursue MCITP..."
  • Options
    all good stuff... =D
  • Options
    1. Fifth line under skills. Change "used to monitored" to "used to monitor" or "use to monitor" depending on what you are trying to say.
    It's amazing how you miss the little things, I actually added this line a few days ago...didn't pop out at me.
    5. Why are you referring to the "Americas" when you are applying for a job in the United States?
    Cause the Job required I monitor remote sites in North, Central, and South America. I think this is pretty typical of a NOC team with a large client.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »

I would love to but I've only worked these two jobs. Considering how bleakicon_thumright.gif my job prospects have been in the last two year, its not out of the question I may been doing the happy meal thing again soon, at the very least to keep my phone on.
  • Options
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    I would love to but, I've only worked these two jobs. Considering how bleakicon_thumright.gif my job prospects have been in the last two year, its not out of the question I may been doing the happy meal thing again soon, at the very least to keep my phone on.

Lots of people have ancillary jobs on the CV to get by.

Just put restaurant crew/cashier and lose the McD reference. It's a killer in the eyes of HR people who like to eat there and run people down how work there. I think you need to *** up the most current job because thats the important one. Have you done any voluntary work?
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should make a listing of Education and Certification. This have helped me and my friends.

Here's an example.

Education and Certifications
    [FONT=&quot]A.S. in Computer Systems Networking - Name of College, City, state initials
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]CompTIA Network+ CE
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]CompTIA A+ CE [/FONT]
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    I think you also need a statement of intent at the top of your CV. Basically what you can offer an employer and reasons to hire. Avoid appearing as needy. Show some aspiration and ambition but dont overstate it.

Have a look at some of the profiles on linkedin for tips on this. Give a reader reasons to read on. Just be careful of some of the linkedin profiles. Maybe because Im English I want to get the sick bag out when I read them but really..'superb'..'exceptional'..'world class'. I have met very few people who are *that* good, but even so degrees below are still very employable. Just be careful to get across qualities you *really* have. No one wants to be let down by a hire. These joes give their buddies great recommendations and they reciprocate.
  • Options
    [FONT=&quot]First Last Name[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]0000 address, City, State initials Zip
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](000) 000-0000 ▪ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]000[/FONT][FONT=&quot]@gmail.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A.S. in Computer Systems Networking - Name of College, City, state initials
    CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional)[/FONT]
    CompTIA Network+ CE
    CompTIA A+ CE [/FONT]

Professional Skills

Ø Desktop/Server/Laptop Support (Install, Repair, Preventative Maintenance)
    Ø Operating System Support (Windows: XP/Vista/7/2003/2008, Linux, Mac OS X)
    Ø Networking (LAN, WLAN, WAN, WPAN, TCP/IP)
    Ø Cisco Switch/Router (IOS Configuration)
    Ø Administration (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP)
    Ø Software (MS Office Suite, VMware, Norton)
    Ø Typist of 60 WPM

Summary of Qualifications

Ø Able to work well in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environments.
    Ø Able to quickly identify issues and implement solutions.
    Ø Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
    Ø CCNP certified professional.

Professional Experience

[FONT=&quot]Senior Network Administrator [/FONT][FONT=&quot]– Company, City, State Initials (2007 - Present)[/FONT]
    Ø [FONT=&quot]Administered servers by performing setup, backup and updates for software.[/FONT]
    Ø [FONT=&quot]Troubleshot issues and implemented solutions on Servers and WAN/LAN.[/FONT]
    Ø [FONT=&quot]Configured Cisco switches and routers. [/FONT]

Desktop Technician -[FONT=&quot] Company, City, State Initials (2004 - 2007)[/FONT]
    Ø Repaired desktops and laptops.
    Ø Worked extended hours to meet project deadlines.
    Ø Setup a small lab of 100 computers.

I got this from a Senior IT guy I know. Notice that it's somewhat short. It's very specific on skills. He also kept his experience description to three lines. If you want this style, copy this and fill it in with your stuff.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Make sure that the email address you use is professional sounding (not like steamyguy82 or something random). That can very easily get your resume tossed.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Make sure that the email address you use is professional sounding (not like steamyguy82 or something random). That can very easily get your resume tossed.

I agree. Try to use your first two initials and last name, if you can.

Example: Henry B. Venn (hbvenn@something.com)
  • Options
    [FONT=&quot]First Last Name[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]0000 address, City, State initials Zip
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](000) 000-0000 ▪ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]000[/FONT][FONT=&quot]@gmail.com[/FONT]

CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional)[/FONT]
    CompTIA Network+ CE
    CompTIA A+ CE [/FONT]

Professional Skills

Ø Desktop/Server/Laptop Support (Install, Repair, Preventative Maintenance)
    Ø Operating System Support (Windows: XP/Vista/7/2003/2008, Linux, Mac OS X)
    Ø Networking (LAN, WLAN, WAN, WPAN, TCP/IP)
    Ø Cisco Switch/Router (IOS Configuration)
    Ø Administration (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP)
    Ø Software (MS Office Suite, VMware, Norton)
    Ø Typist of 60 WPM

Summary of Qualifications

Ø Able to work well in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environments.
    Ø Able to quickly identify issues and implement solutions.
    Ø Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
    Ø CCNP certified professional.

Professional Experience

[FONT=&quot]Senior Network Administrator [/FONT][FONT=&quot]– Company, City, State Initials (2007 - Present)[/FONT]
    Ø [FONT=&quot]Administered servers by performing setup, backup and updates for software.[/FONT]
    Ø [FONT=&quot]Troubleshot issues and implemented solutions on Servers and WAN/LAN.[/FONT]
    Ø [FONT=&quot]Configured Cisco switches and routers. [/FONT]

Desktop Technician -[FONT=&quot] Company, City, State Initials (2004 - 2007)[/FONT]
    Ø Repaired desktops and laptops.
    Ø Worked extended hours to meet project deadlines.
    Ø Setup a small lab of 100 computers.

I got this from a Senior IT guy I know. Notice that it's somewhat short. It's very specific on skills. He also kept his experience description to three lines. If you want this style, copy this and fill it in with your stuff.

I like this a lot, I wish I had that much experience to fill it out.
  • Options
    I like this a lot, I wish I had that much experience to fill it out.

Me toicon_lol.gif
  • Options
    One more tip. When sending your resume online try to use PDF format as much as allowable. My reason for this is that word processors formats don't always look the same on different word processors. PDF formats are always the same. This way, your resume will be seen the way you intended it to be. I learned this by listening to some HR guys.icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    One more tip. When sending your resume online try to use PDF format as much as allowable. My reason for this is that word processors formats don't always look the same on different word processors. PDF formats are always the same. This way, your resume will be seen the way you intended it to be. I learned this by listening to some HR guys.icon_cool.gif

That assumes that they have a PDF reader installed which isn't always the case.

Bottom line is submit it how ever they ask. Most places I've applied have specified the formats that they want and I've rarely seen PDF listed as one of them.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    There are systems out there without a pdf reader? How do those people study for their cert at work? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    That assumes that they have a PDF reader installed which isn't always the case.

Bottom line is submit it how ever they ask. Most places I've applied have specified the formats that they want and I've rarely seen PDF listed as one of them.

I would be damned if I don't have Adobe Reader or any pdf reader on my machine, which is pretty vital to my everyday duties when I was working. If one opens up the browser, but he/she can't open the PDF, then the helpdesk or the manager is screwed for being harassed by his/her subordinates for not procuring the necessary software for them in the first place to allow them to do their jobs. Honestly, from a financial perspective, it's cheaper to have a pdf reader than a word processor. I rather have my resume formatted in PDF, and that way no one can alter it (but like that ever gonna happen).
  • Options
    You guys missed what I said. I said as much as allowable. I know everyone doesn't have PDF viewers.
  • Options
    I agree. Try to use your first two initials and last name, if you can.

Example: Henry B. Venn (hbvenn@something.com)

Yea, my email is my fullname@isp.com. Nobody has my name, its special icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Yea, my email is my fullname@isp.com. Nobody has my name, its special icon_wink.gif

Your lucky:D
  • Options
    I suggest combining education and certification under one heading - list your education first, followed by your certs. Did you receive a degree or certificate from the colleges? If so, definitely list them and the title of the major (Example: A.S. Computer Electronics - DeVry University). Also, you can probably leave high school off your resume. Since you have some college under your belt, that implies you graduated high school. Besides, if your goal is a NOC position, a prospective employer probably isn't going to be interested in desktop publishing.

I have no degree, I'm not sure this is a good move.
  • Options
    I have no degree, I'm not sure this a good move.

Education is education, whether it's degree or college courses. If you want, you don't have to make that move, just make a heading of Certification.

Examples:

Certifications
    CCENT(Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician)
    CompTIA Network+ CE

or

IT Vocational Training - New York Business Institute, New York City, NY
    CCENT(Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician)
    CompTIA Network+ CE

Personally, I recommend the Education and Certifications one.:D
  • Options
    [FONT=&quot]First Lastname
    [/FONT]
    555 Address Ave. City, NY XXXX

555-555-555 first.last@mail.com
    Certification and Education
    Ø CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician), August 2011
    Ø CompTIA Network+ CE, June 2011
    Ø New York Business Institute - A+, Network+, CCNA certification courses (2010 – 2011)
    Ø LaGuardia Community College - Computer Operations: Network Administration (2004 – 2005)
    Ø DeVry University - Computer Electronics (2003 – 2004)
    Ø Bushwick High School (1998 – 2002)

Skills
    Ø Operating system imaging, configuration, and installs (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux)
    Ø Cisco Switch/Router (IOS configuration, VLANs, Etherchannel, RIP, DHCP, DNS, TELNET, SSH)
    Ø Experience with 2950 Cisco switches, 2621, 2691 Cisco routers
    Ø Experience with Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 Suite of programs
    Ø G.E. Security - Picture Perfect, Access Vision (Used to monitor IDF rooms, door alarms, and panic alarms)
    Ø G.E. Security - Wave Reader, Wave Watch (Used as a front-end UI for DVR monitoring, and to ping remote cameras)
    Ø Able to work well in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environments
    Ø Able to quickly identify issues and implement solutions
    Ø Able to work with minimal supervision
    Ø Able to manage up to 30 employees
    Ø Typist of up to 60WPM
    Work Experience
    9/2006 - 3/2009 Credit-Suisse / Allied Barton Security Services, 11 Madison Ave, NYC 10010

Console Operator (SOC)
    · Answered all phone inquiries regarding security procedures, building facilities issues, and building access cards
    · Assisted 3 Allied Barton Account Managers with various ad-hoc administrative tasks
    · Oversaw Credit-Suisse’ door, panic, and IDFs alarms station
    · Responded quickly and calmly to fire and medical emergencies while relaying clear direction to first responders
    · Arranged visits with hardware vendors for maintenance of on site equipment (e.g., cameras, card readers, DVRs)
    · Answered hundreds of alarms for over 45 Credit-Suisse sites in the Americas using G.E. Security applications
    · Weekly playback inspection of over 80 DVRs
    · Daily remote inspection of over 300 Credit-Suisse’ security cameras in the Americas

Corporate Receptionist
    · Meet and greet hundreds of employees and visitors while providing them with security I.D. badges
    · Signed in guests and visitors while dealing with numerous incoming phone calls
    · Kept visitor reservation emails organized and concise for future referencing
    · Booked conference rooms for various company functions
    · Contacted appropriate Credit-Suisse personnel when visitors arrived
    · Provided clear direction and assistance to visitors and employees when needed
    · Acted as liaison with couriers during after hour and weekend shifts
    · Constant use of company visitor pass, internal intranet, and email system

3/2004 - 9/2006 Restaurant Staff, Brooklyn, New York, 11237

Crew – Maintenance / Cashier
    · Installed Point of Sale (POS) operating system upgrades for restaurant’s DOS based cash registers
    · Backed up DVR recordings of restaurant’s security camera footage on various storage mediums
    · Multi-tasked in a very fast paced work environment
    · Stood for 8-16 hour shifts while maintaining a high quality of customer service
    · Ad-hoc administrative duties for customer Wi-Fi connectivity issues
    I just did some changes, what ya think so far?
    formatting looks so much better in Wordicon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    I just did some changes, what ya think so far?
    formatting looks so much better in Wordicon_rolleyes.gif

I think it looks good.:D

I especially like this part, Cisco Switch/Router (IOS configuration, vlans, Etherchannel, RIP, DHCP, DNS, TELNET, SSH)