Options

Job Prospects - Poll

2»

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From the looks of things most people feel safe, so for those seeking to join the industry it appears to be one where once inside most people feel secure. Interestingly only one third of respondents feel there are promotion prospects, so if you want a career of growth, try to find a job where you are in that third.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I voted: In work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

I work for Washington State. The only way to get promoted is if someone quits and you re-apply for their position. Either that, or you somehow end up working outside of your classification and then you can get promoted that way via a lot of paperwork. Technically that isn't supposed to happen though.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I voted: In work. Safe. No promotion prospects.

I work for Washington State. The only way to get promoted is if someone quits and you re-apply for their position. Either that, or you somehow end up working outside of your classification and then you can get promoted that way via a lot of paperwork. Technically that isn't supposed to happen though.

A lot of people work for government. Im private sector myself. Upward mobility and bonus schemes but the axe if you underperform. Generally speaking in government are you mostly safe with little or no upward mobility?