Options

CCNA Wireless: When (if ever) will companies start moving away from ethernet?

2»

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Wireless back-haul stuff is pretty neat if you've ever looked into it. I tried to start a WiMAX WISP out in Montana when I lived there... did lots of research into it, but never actually got anywhere with it. Trying to get tower rights and frequencies was just too much.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, But CWSP would only help me in pentest if i were to be a wireless pen tester. I dont plan on going that route either.

I am just saying that exotic targets are out there and wireless pentesting doesn't mean that you will be going after linksys routers, think of it as anything that is connecting wirelessly.

Everyone wrote: »
    Wireless back-haul stuff is pretty neat if you've ever looked into it. I tried to start a WiMAX WISP out in Montana when I lived there... did lots of research into it, but never actually got anywhere with it. Trying to get tower rights and frequencies was just too much.

I am actually thinking about starting a WISP in my neck of the woods. (Ubquiti for the win?)
  • Options
    I am actually thinking about starting a WISP in my neck of the woods. (Ubquiti for the win?)

That Ubiquiti stuff looks nice. I was looking at mostly Motorola gear a few years ago.

I've been tempted to just put a big a/b/g/n antenna on my roof connected to an open access point with a captive portal on it, just to see how many people would find it and connect. Self registration on the captive portal with some sort of payment gateway... charge people $30/month to use my bandwidth, lol.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can the airwaves be used like that? I can imagine broadcasting a signal that strong and causing interference not only to others but your own services would take a hit with all the home wifi's and home appliances?

Hey I am all for using technology to make money, I am all for revolutionizing services :)

So what can we come up with that is revolutionary? hahaha I got some money on hand to invest here lol icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Can the airwaves be used like that? I can imagine broadcasting a signal that strong and causing interference not only to others but your own services would take a hit with all the home wifi's and home appliances?

Hey I am all for using technology to make money, I am all for revolutionizing services :)

So what can we come up with that is revolutionary? hahaha I got some money on hand to invest here lol icon_lol.gif

Yes you can use the unlicensed spectrum's however you want, but you will run into interference problems.

The Commander of my ANG unit owns a WISP, Rural Wireless Internet Service for Central Illinois | Maxwire, Inc. is his company. He's told me interference is their main issue.

You won't have problems with interference if you use a licensed spectrum, but unless you're a big company like AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc, you'll never be able to purchase a chunk of that spectrum from the FCC. The spectrum blocks sell for billions when the FCC auctions them off.