Options

CIW Exams

13»

Comments

• Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Psoasman wrote: »
    If you choose to go with this cert, I'd use notepad++ for your HTML practice.
    Notepad++ v6.1.5 - Current Version

Notepad++ is great for heavy editing, but you might also want some sort of HTML editing software that will let you switch back and forth between preview modes. I liked Claris Home Page and some package IBM was selling for a while. The Seamonkey suite is probably the closest readily available Open Source (and recent) equivalent. There's also Microsoft Expression Web, which you used to be able to get free via WGU.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Puda wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments guys. Is there something more useful for me then?

In your opinion, this cert is not well recognized and I won't really need it for my job?

Thanks

It's not to say they're not useful. It's if they're relevant to the job market. Not to say there aren't any job postings requesting the certs but you're more likely to see Cisco, CompTIA, Microsoft, SANs, ISC, Linux-related, etc.

Most of the posts on this board that discuss obtaining a CIW certification are related to WGU students.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    urg i got the CIW database exam (again) in the morning i swear its alot to go over and im not sure ill use it again ... i wasnt interested the first time why i failed so hard

edit: well that didnt go well
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I'll be taking my first CIW soon too.

@demonfurbie How did the retake go?
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    failed again by 5 ... not sure what im missing but it will end up taking me into a new term
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    took and passed the CIW Web foundation exam yesterday and passed with a 81%. I was worried about the test so im glad to get that out the way...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    c3rtifi3dc3rtifi3d Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking CIW Web Foundations 10/26/12. I hope to be back here posting "erpadmin was right." :)
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    c3rtifi3d wrote: »
    Taking CIW Web Foundations 10/26/12. I hope to be back here posting "erpadmin was right." :)

you should have no problem if you already have a+ or net +. good luck...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I can completly mirror gduesthewhizkid. I only watched like 3 of the learnkey html coding videos and used my prior knowledge. Not as easy as the MTAs but still easy all the same
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    c3rtifi3dc3rtifi3d Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    c3rtifi3d wrote: »

So I ended up rescheduling because I chickened out and took the exam today. I passed! I didn't even read the mcmcse guide or the coursework... feel like I should've but been busy with life.

As promised, I feel obliged to state:

erpadmin was right. :D
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I passed CIW Web foundations today. The WGU material is definitely overkill if you have any previous IT experience.
  • Options
    PudaPuda Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have decided to study for the Web Foundation Associate after all! I bought the book you suggested me. (CIW: Foundations Study Guide)

They are actually implementing a new test 1D0-610 starting on December 1rst. Shoud I be worried? They say they will change things from exam 1D0-510 to be more « web 2.0 ». I wonder what that means... (Social Media?)

Anyway I am guessing Ucertify will apply theses changes to their course? You guys said it was great to be 100% sure to pass the test. Since I don't know much about this certification (besides web marketing) I think that would be great to buy it to practice before the final exam!
  • Options
    After buying the prepkit test I would advise you to stay away from it and from uCertify.

Entire sections are missing in the course and uCertify will never reply to your inquiries. I sent them many emails and they just don't care. I have been waiting since January and they didn't do anything beside telling me they will update the course in two months. (!)
  • Options
    anushvenkyanushvenky Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Am totally new to CIW certifications. ASpiring to learn HTML/CSS/Javascript in Pluralsight and wanted to write down certifications from CIW foundation to the end. Please help in clarifying the foll. questions :, THanks in advance,

1)CIW 1D0-610 as web foundation associate certification, But I see there are discussions about web foundation 510? I wanted to knw how to search for web foundation? Is it 510 or 610 ? Where to get the materials/Study guide to score decent marks in the exam?
    2) To start with, which is the best one and how to go about it? For exa:- Web foundation ass has got three separate courses like Internet,Site Development and Network...Should I take them separetly or I can do it at once which is Id0-610?

Also, I need a idea about the preparation time to finish each certi or atleast the web foundation ass. FYI, I have done MS (IT) in 2005 ( pretty long time).

I would really appreciate, if you could help me regarding this.
  • Options
    anushvenky wrote: »
    Hi

Am totally new to CIW certifications. ASpiring to learn HTML/CSS/Javascript in Pluralsight and wanted to write down certifications from CIW foundation to the end. Please help in clarifying the foll. questions :, THanks in advance,

1)CIW 1D0-610 as web foundation associate certification, But I see there are discussions about web foundation 510? I wanted to knw how to search for web foundation? Is it 510 or 610 ? Where to get the materials/Study guide to score decent marks in the exam?
    2) To start with, which is the best one and how to go about it? For exa:- Web foundation ass has got three separate courses like Internet,Site Development and Network...Should I take them separetly or I can do it at once which is Id0-610?

Also, I need a idea about the preparation time to finish each certi or atleast the web foundation ass. FYI, I have done MS (IT) in 2005 ( pretty long time).

I would really appreciate, if you could help me regarding this.

The new version is 610 but you can pass 510 until December 31, 2013. You can buy the CIW Foundations Study Guide CIW: Foundations Study Guide (Exam 1D0-410): Patrick T. Lane, William Sodeman, Emmett Dulaney: 9780782140811: Amazon.com: Books as it covers a lot from 510.

Honnestly I bought this one and the one from CIW and it's very very similar. I am not sure they changed much on the 510 version compared to the 410.

You can also find very cheap CIW Study Guide on Amazon and I think it covers everything. I have decided to go with the Internet Business Foundation instead of the CIW Foundation Associate one. Honnestly it's very network oriented with Bus, Star, hub, router etc. I had a very hard time trying to learn all that.

This cert is not really about programming, there is a small part of HTML but very little regarding Javascript.

If you feel very confident, I will just go for this cert instead of doing the 3. It's way more expensive. ($150 each) Instead of $150 for 610.

If you decide to do them separately however, note that the Internet one is just 30 questions. I think that's the same for the 2 others when you do them separately. This one is fairly easy if you have a good understanding of Internet principles. I work in Web Marketing so I feel like I know a lot of the stuff already. However, studying the CIW guide takes time... I have been working on it for 2 months now. It's about 300 pages divided into 8 sections. I just want to score high.

But when I studied for 610 it took me at least 3 months to figure out that I won't be able to score well with the network section.

Hope that helps ;)
  • Options
    anushvenkyanushvenky Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you Puda for clarifying with answers. Since am new to this CIW and wanted to enter the industry as web developer,I am going to try get the study guide of CIW. Also, I am trying to take HTML/JAVASCRIPT/CSS in PLural sight . Can you tell me , is that all, I need to enter the industry or should I compete all the certs in CIW? Thanks for helping me.
    I got ID0-410 Questions from ********. Is it enough to read all the questions and answers from there,along with the guidance book? Will the same questions will be asked in the exam? Can you clarify it?
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you end up with ************ when typing out resources, there's a good chance that resource is a ****. Validate your study materials against CertGuard | IT Certification Exam Security & Integrity

That way, you know you have a legitimate resource. I used the 410 book for the 510 exam and then brushed up on HTML a bit. The 510 was not a hard exam.
  • Options
    Honnestly doing the 610 is really for basic knowledge in web development. I am not sure this is the best way to enter the industry as a web developer. I would recommend you to go for a 2 year degree or a bachelor in web development to make sure your skills are recognized out there. I know it can be very expensive but IMO that's the best option.

If you absolutely can't do that, I would recommend you to also look at Lynda.con which offers very good courses on web development. I got 5 certs from them in SEO and Analytics mostly and I found their courses very interesting. Also, note that if you follow the entire course you will be get automatically certified. Not a real challenge but Lynda is recognized no you will benefit from it.

Also the best way to enter the industry would be to work as a freelancer for websites like odesk. It doesn't pay too well but if you have no prior experience that's a good idea. You can also go for an internship to get your foot in the door.
  • Options
    NicoleHullNicoleHull Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    Cool, thanks man....I downloaded the uCertify demo and I agree with you....of course I wouldn't pay for it...we know too many ways to get around that icon_lol.gif

Appreciate it man

Please tell me your way of getting around that???
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    very easy exam