Options

It's my time: Mrock's CCIE thread

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you just want to test yourself on the core technologies, hit the Vol3 labs, that's what they're all about. No network services or security or qos or any of that fun stuff

I was just looking at them actually- haven't bought yet though. I think that may be the way to go!
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Good luck Mrock4 ! 8-9 months for the CCIE si doable.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    ipSpace wrote: »
    Good luck Mrock4 ! 8-9 months for the CCIE si doable.

Thanks! I'm hoping to pull it off!

Monday was a day off due to a long workday (ie: 15 hrs), and Tuesday was the same story. Unfortunately, tonight (Wednesday) is turning out the same way, although I think I'll be able to get in about 2 hours. The plan is still working though, and that's maintain a somewhat consistent schedule of study. Technically, I'm 4 hours down this week, but that'll still put me at 19 hours for the week, so not bad.
  • Options
    Almost through Frame-relay labs. Probably will go back over them tomorrow and try to break stuff. Sunday I'll start layer 3 I think.

Just a side note, I've got a big white board in my office (see previous pic I posted), and that thing has been awesome for my prep so far. I leave notes on it, things to come back to, draw diagrams, etc...I use them all the time at work, but it's awesome at home too.
  • Options
    Finished the FR section. Studying for 5 hrs tomorrow, so going to dedicate the first hour to experimenting with FR, then get started on the RIP labs. I've been through the RIP labs a few times before, so to make sure I don't just go through the motions I might put my own little spin on them.
  • Options
    Finished RIP. Will start EIGRP tomorrow.
  • Options
    In the zone. Probably will finish EIGRP today. I work extensively with EIGRP on a daily basis, so all the INE topics regarding EIGRP I have covered in the last week as part of my job. I'm really glad to not have any troubles with RIP/EIGRP, because OSPF will slow me down a lot. Getting through EIGRP now means I have more time to focus on OSPF.

Currently listening to "Renegades of Funk" by Rage against the machine. Funny how the words "no matter how hard you try you can't stop us now" is motivating!

Back to labbing...3 hours to go...
  • Options
    Spent only about 2 hours labbing tonight instead of my goal of 3.

Almost finished EIGRP tonight, but got stuck on prefix filtering with distribute-list and route-map's. My config matched INE's, but it just wouldn't tag. I'm tired (long day), so I'll reattack it tomorrow. I could have moved on, but I really want to make sure I understand it. Will finish up EIGRP tomorrow and begin OSPF.
  • Options
    Andddd let's hit some OSPF. Watched Jeremy Ciora's first OSPF video on CBT Nuggets to warm me up. Off to lab...
  • Options
    Racking the hours up. Still in OSPF and will be for the next week I'd guess. Tonight I got knee-deep in the OSPF labs and have enjoyed it so far. So far I've been at it almost two weeks, and have maintained an awesome balance between study and home life. I feel confident I can maintain this pace- it's fast enough to feel I'm making progress, but not so insane that I lose my life completely. The only variable though, is my fairly aggressive timeline for the lab, which will cause me to up the hours (as to be expected) later this year as I close in on my date.
  • Options
    Glad I got really ahead on my FR/EIGRP schedule, because I'm going to definitely need the extra time for OSPF. I got all the basics down, but realized my theory is lacking a little. I can configure most scenario's in INE without cheating, but I need to do some review (videos/books) for a couple of days before moving on. Going to give myself another week on OSPF before moving forward.

Hours are climbing regularly though, which is a great sign.
  • Options
    Back to OSPF today. On a study break now. Learned a lot today, actually. It's been hard, ran into a couple of things I hadn't done before, but was able to get through it with some thinking and the assistance of the cisco docs.

I'm not too far off from making my way through all of the OSPF labs. I think once I finish the INE labs, I'm going to lab my own up for the remainder of the week. That'll put me at starting BGP in about 7 days.
  • Options
    Sticking with OSPF videos still. Going to go through the entire INE ATC OSPF videos. Already watched the CBT Nuggets ones. Once I'm done with that, going to do a couple more labs, and then move forward to BGP. I haven't really been studying for that long (3 weeks now), but I'm progressing well.
  • Options
    Nothing has changed! Been studying daily- my production of CBT's on my own have slowed that down a little, but I think it's been worth it.

Based on my schedule I came up with before I started studying, I still have two weeks until I need to move onto BGP. I think I'm going to set my new OSPF deadline to April 29th (this sunday). I'll dive into OSPF as deep as I can until then, and the following week will be NOTHING but videos/reading on BGP to sharpen up before I lab. Normally I'd try to read while at work, but work has been insane, there's no time for lunch let alone for professional development.

Just as a side note to any other candidates reading this, although reading/watching videos slows me down prior to labbing, I've found that it helps out. I passed the written with a good score, but even then, there's a lot that is forgotten over 6 months.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I passed the written with a good score, but even then, there's a lot that is forgotten over 6 months.

I couldn't agree with you more. The videos are a help before and after you lab the topic. I find helpful pointers each time I watch.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I haven't fallen off the wagon! I have been studying, but not as much as I should. I've been going back and forth with a BIG company as it relates to an offer/counter-offer, etc for the last two weeks, so that's taken a lot of my time and motivation. I'm not sure what's going to happen with that, but that's really no excuse.

Anyway- my current employer (and prospective employer) offered to pay 100% for a CCIE bootcamp (the INE 2 week) plus a lab attempt, so that's really awesome.

I also checked my study schedule I created at the beginning of this endeavor, and based on it, I have one week left to finish OSPF, then move onto BGP. Good timing, because I think a week is just enough time to get there! Can't wait....

Oh! But I am going to derail for another two days to finish a PVST/RSTP video for the CCNA folks. It's great review for myself, and I like making the videos...plus I promised I'd have it done this weekend.
  • Options
    Watched some INE BGP videos tonight. Going to review all the theory prior to labbing. Moving along!
  • Options
    Looks like my work may have dropped the bootcamp. Oh well. Not gonna stop me.

Watched an hour of INE BGP vids, and firing up the rack now for a couple hours of labbing.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    I wouldn't get to worried about missing a boot camp. At least for me I am not able to learn much in that environment due to the speed and scattered nature resulting from students being at vastly different levels. Most of what I got out of mine were tips about the lab itself which you can likely get from blogs and forums these days.
  • Options
    apd123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't get to worried about missing a boot camp. At least for me I am not able to learn much in that environment due to the speed and scattered nature resulting from students being at vastly different levels. Most of what I got out of mine were tips about the lab itself which you can likely get from blogs and forums these days.

My original plan was only to attend one if I could get my work's support. Since they were back and forth on that, I just planned on not doing it. The short version is, they have been back and forth so much on whether or not I can go to one, that I'm just planning on not doing it.

It is good to hear someone reaffirm that it's not a huge "must" to attend one in order to pass the lab.

I'm still working on BGP, it's been really slow lately. I've got no less than 4 various ventures going on- between my full-time job, some part-time things (I've been developing some training material on the side for CCNA courses), and family time- it's been hard. I'm trying hard to stick to an attempt this year though.

More to follow though, I'm going to buckle down this week on BGP since last week was not so productive.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I'm still working on BGP, it's been really slow lately. I've got no less than 4 various ventures going on- between my full-time job, some part-time things (I've been developing some training material on the side for CCNA courses), and family time- it's been hard. I'm trying hard to stick to an attempt this year though.

I've seen the material you're putting out, and I certainly think it's good, but if it's detracting from your study time, I'd seriously reconsider it. Unless you're covering stuff that you're struggling with on IE study, and are taking an alternate method to learning by teaching it to others, it's ultimately a distraction and at cross purposes with your goal (unless of course, your goal is to actually run a training company)
  • Options
    My overall goal has always been to get into training, and actually, if asked my two main reasons for going for the CCIE, I would list them in no particular order: To gain credibility as a trainer, and for the challenge. Those both still hold true.

We'll see how it goes. For years now, I've loved training others, both in IT and in other things, so that's always been a love of mine, but I don't give up easily, and the CCIE has been a goal of mine before training ever was. If I get the CCIE, it's all the better for me as a trainer. I'm going to still shoot for November this year, but definitely give it all some deep thought too.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Go ahead, produce a bunch of high quality videos.. and if they're helpful enough you could definitely take a chunk out of the market owned primarily by cbtnuggets, chris bryant, todd lammle, etc. I really think if the content is good, the market is open for it, at least at a small level. Haven't you ever thought, wow, I could maybe make something this good or better? Just do a whole series and package it..

I found my way to your youtube videos and they were good. Except I'd rather have em in 10-20 minute chunks rather than the 45 minute layer2 troubleshooting one, even though it was good.

I may do this at some time, but really one reason I enjoy explaining technologies is because it helps me understand it better.. because then I have to think of abstract ways to explain it to someone, but might as well make videos while I'm at it lol
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Still alive guys! Been really busy with work, but haven't stopped studying- even if it's only a little at a time. I'm currently in a CISSP bootcamp, so I've been doing 12-14 hour days for the past week. I test this weekend for the CISSP, so that'll be interesting. It was mostly a work requirement, so I didn't really have the necessary prep, but I'm doing OK on the practice tests so far.

Once the CISSP is knocked out (hopefully this weekend..), I have a CCNP Security bootcamp in late july with INE. It's kind of funny I've done all this security work/study for my job- I can't help but wonder if it's a sign I should head down the CCIE Sec track instead. Oh well. Too far into the R&S track now. Security can come later.

I have revised my timeline though. I was hitting the studies really hard for a while, and I just couldn't sustain those hours with a family. I was doing about 20-25 hours a week of study and truthfully, it wasn't that bad, but it wears on you after a month of that. I'm scaling back now (again, once CISSP is done) to about 15-20 hours a week. Not a big difference, but it'll allow me a lot more time to relax and get away from the keyboard.

If anyone is wondering where I am technically on the CCIE lab prep, I'm in security. I've decided what better time to study the security topics on the lab then when I have to study them for work. Once the CISSP/CCNP Sec bootcamps (doubt I'll get the CCNP Sec cert, at least anytime soon) are done, I'm going to circle around and do some quick review over stuff I'd been labbing before this bootcamp. That way I don't forget topics (ie: switching) by the time I get to the lab.

Revised timeline has me taking the lab in March/April next year, which was actually my "alternate" date originally. If I have to move that back, that's fine.

It's a marathon after all, right?
  • Options
    Good to hear from you! Your new job sounds demanding, but rewarding. Good luck on the CISSP. The CCIE is indeed a marathon.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Being in IT is a marathon.

Never stop learning!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Took the CISSP- awaiting results..if I failed that I'll have to circle around and study for that again.

Labbing towards the CCIE now in the meantime though. I got the CCNP Security bootcamp through INE later this month, so once that's done, I'm going to up the frequency of my studies. Right now the motto is "slow and steady"..

The lab date is always a moving target for me, but for right now I'll say somewhere around March/April/May 2013 is when I should sit the lab.
  • Options
    Man, you are a busy guy! What'd you think of the cissp? Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Thanks James- glad to see your lab hours are incrementing as well!

I thought the CISSP was crazy. The ISC(2) official courseware covers an incredibly wide range of material- from business continuity to cryptography, to physical security (ie: locks, man traps, etc), to IPSec VPN's. If the span of topics aren't bad enough, the manner in which questions are asked makes it really tricky.
  • Options
    Revised my study schedule to be a bit more forgiving. The new version starts tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.