Options

whats a good investment??

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the tips guys. Now I have some shopping to do.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MOd's feel free to split this off.

Truth be told I really want a revolver like dirty hairy (I know that is a terrible reason). But I worry about reloading speed and suck (just in case I have to use it since I do live in a very hood city).

I wouldn't worry about threadjacking...
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As soon as I was on the second page, I see the ads banner about guns. Hilarious! icon_lol.gif Maybe you should check it out if you are considering buying a gun.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Guns? Now we are talking! Keep in mind that a firearm is a tool that is only as good as the operator. When selecting a gun keep in mind its purpose. I have many firearms and all of them have different purposes. There's the plinker, the carry gun, the home defense, the safe queens, etc. See if you can find a range that rents so you can try different things. 15 years ago I was dead set on a revolver but tried a few and there wasn't any chemistry. If planning on carrying or defending the home don't forget about training.

You will hear all kinds of recommendations. People like kriscamaro68 are worth listening to as he's presenting a recommendation based on his experience. Don't listen to the lovers or haters of a specific brand who can't articulate why it is great or why it sucks. Those are a dime a dozen everywhere.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only experience I have with guns is from movies, but I always had this question in my mind:
    What is the difference between a 22 caliber and a 9 mm, is it like the metric / imperial systems?

I think the 22 is smaller than the 9 mm, but how and why icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    The only experience I have with guns is from movies, but I always had this question in my mind:
    What is the difference between a 22 caliber and a 9 mm, is it like the metric / imperial systems?

I think the 22 is smaller than the 9 mm, but how and why icon_confused.gif:

This Wiki article explains it pretty good.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I've been reading that you can make money by shorting the Euro. Obviously, I Google the meaning and I am lost lol.

Since I didn't see this addressed, I'll answer it - Shorting something in the financial world basically means you sell some kind of asset for the current market value, and agree to buy it back after a specified period of time, again, at market value (there's alot more to it, but that's the concept in a nutshell)

So if you short sell at current market values, and the value of that asset goes down, when you buy it back, you'll be buying it for less than you sold it for, which means you made a profit.

If the value of the asset goes up, then when you buy it back, you'll be paying more for it than you sold it for, and you'll lose money.

It's basically the stock market version of gambling.

As for me, I haven't changed my investment stance one whit. I invest in a variety of mutual funds, and I continue to do so, and will continue to do so right up until the point the economy actually fails. I don't check my portfolio every single day, and I pretty much ignore the news. I'm a long term investor, and I review my portfolio's performance every quarter. Watching it like a hawk and paying attention to the news is just going to get you to buy into the media frenzy (they rarely tell you when things are good, only when it's bad) which can goad you into making bad decisions.

Personally, I like big drops in the market, and when I hear of them happening, I'll go and invest more. I'm not worried about the transitory loss of my current portfolio, I know they'll recover, and a big drop means stock is on sale, so if I invest more at a low point, I get even better returns when the stock rises again.
  • Options
    MOd's feel free to split this off.

Truth be told I really want a revolver like dirty hairy (I know that is a terrible reason). But I worry about reloading speed and suck (just in case I have to use it since I do live in a very hood city).

As a civilian, if you get into a gun battle where you need to worry about reloading, you're already screwed.

Personally, I carry a Glock 17 loaded with Speer Gold Dot 115gr +P+ rounds. Plenty of penetration and firepower, and if I need more than 18 shots, I'm seriously screwed.
  • Options
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    If you need to work on accuracy, you should also pick up a decent 22 to do target practice with, as the rounds with cost next to nothing to put down a few hundred a week/month. You can also looking into reloading them yourself for much cheaper, but it does cost a little up front for the equipment to do it. Check with your local police department, as some will sell their spent brass, as they can't reload, so you know its only been fired once.

22 plinkers are great for working on basic marksmanship, but if you're going to carry, you really need to spend some time firing target rounds of the caliber you're going to carry, recoil can make quite a bit of a difference in your accuracy. It's for this reason that I also try to fire my carry ammo every few months as well, as the +P+ rounds have a noticeable difference in kick from my standard target rounds
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a civilian, if you get into a gun battle where you need to worry about reloading, you're already screwed.

Personally, I carry a Glock 17 loaded with Speer Gold Dot 115gr +P+ rounds. Plenty of penetration and firepower, and if I need more than 18 shots, I'm seriously screwed.

Do you have a concealed carry?
  • Options
    Do you have a concealed carry?

No such thing in Georgia. We have a carry permit that covers everything, open carry and concealed. And yes, I have one. I prefer to carry openly, but I do conceal when discretion is called for.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Turgon wrote: »
    Nothing at the moment. Keep your money in a bullet proof bank for now or at home. Inside 2 years the Euro will tank. Everyone will get hurt.
    Despite accusations of constant negative comments, Turgon is right on the money with euro. Euro is gone.
    What troubles the most, is the view people have on investing. The first thing coming to mind to many people when one mentions investing is earning through speculation. That's not real investing.
    Owning land for agriculture, especially near water, would be an investment that will keep giving. Of course, one has to consider who is going to work that land and how much can afford.
  • Options
    dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As for me, I haven't changed my investment stance one whit. I invest in a variety of mutual funds, and I continue to do so, and will continue to do so right up until the point the economy actually fails. I don't check my portfolio every single day, and I pretty much ignore the news. I'm a long term investor, and I review my portfolio's performance every quarter. Watching it like a hawk and paying attention to the news is just going to get you to buy into the media frenzy (they rarely tell you when things are good, only when it's bad) which can goad you into making bad decisions.

Personally, I like big drops in the market, and when I hear of them happening, I'll go and invest more. I'm not worried about the transitory loss of my current portfolio, I know they'll recover, and a big drop means stock is on sale, so if I invest more at a low point, I get even better returns when the stock rises again.

This is some good advise. If you have not done so, get a copy of "The Four Pillars of Investing" by William J. Bernstein and "The Bogglehead's Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Michael LeBoeuf and John C. Bogle. It is might not be sexy but history has shown that it is the better method then gambling on a few stocks or jumping from trend to trend. Low cost, no load funds are what you want to look for, Vanguard has a ton of them.

Much like Forsaken_GA pointed out, constantly watching your investments can let you emotions enter the picture and that is not a good thing. Check them quarterly, biyearly, or once a year to rebalance them. Otherwise let them sit.

On the topic of guns, if you have never fired one or are new to them do not buy the biggest, baddest one out there. Your best bet is to purchase a smaller caliber (like a .22) and practice with it. When you are ready to step up go to a store and hold each one that you are looking at. Much like people they are different in that some are comfortable for you but not for others. If there is a range or sportsman club around, stop by. Many people would be glad to help a new person out and might even let you fire one of their firearms if you are interested. Some gun stores have ranges and will rent out firearms and that is a good way to test drive one before you buy.

There are also many places that offer shooting classes and while some of them are geared towards concealed carry holders, you don't have to have one to attend. A class is a good thing for a new shooter, it will help prevent learning any bad form/habits that you would have to unlearn later on.