Options

Salary at 3 years of IT

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
I wanted to raise my hand and ask a question from anyone who checks this thread.

What was the salary you had after being in IT for 3 years?

I am right at 3 years and am making about $50K a year.

So, let's hear it guys!
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am making about 53K now. Starting pay was 35K.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After three years? ~$32k

Salary is about three times that right now.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hhhhmmm in 9 months I will hit 3 years of fulltime experience (in 5 months it will be 2 years with the same company) and I am pretty sure I won't be at $50k. Currently make $42k and started at $36k. When it came time for raises, I initially got 8%, which as a percentage is pretty good (though you knock off 2 to 3% for cost of living), but when you look at what that meant take home wise it covered the gas to get to work and that was it. I expressed my unhappiness with this, but it didn't get me very far at that point (other then one of my managers saying he'd think about what I said). Fast forward a couple of months and I get called into his office. I always leave my resume up at various sites since I am always ready to move when a chance arises and the finances allow it. So he says that a friend of his was looking at resumes and came across mine (I list the companies I worked at and his friend knew he had come to our company, I just looked past the privacy issue I have with this). He asked if I was actively seeking other employment and I said yes (repeating my unhappiness with the raise and the low staffing level we were at compared to our ticket volume), his eyes sort of glazed and he asked if a raise would keep me there at least 6 more months. I said yup and got another 3k, I did thank him and our owner for the raise. This year I don't think I will be as lucky, but they did put me on nights so I feel obligated to not complain about pay (I would like a nice raise, but I don't plan on complaining if it isn't high or if there wasn't a raise). I can say that I have learned a lot so far and the company is happy with my performance at night as many didn't support me going to nights.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    start 30kish
    current 80kish

about 3 years ago give or take..
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    jts1234jts1234 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok... I've made some poor choices, so maybe I can make a few of you feel better about yourselves.

10 years full-time experience here. I was JOAT/lead for most of that at a school district, then moved a bit into field work for a one/two man operation (where I was #2). At the school, I was making around $47k at the end of it. For the small potatoes company, I got screwed for an entire year and then started making $50k. Of course, by then I was fed up with the situation and quit shortly afterward. That was in Feb '11, and I've been independent/living off of savings since. I have one large customer, and it's nowhere near enough jack to live on.

I cut my resume in half and posted it to monster and dice on Monday. My phone melted on Tuesday with calls, so that's cool. I have two interviews today, and one heck of a wicked stomach ache which I'm pretty sure is gas from the pumpkin shake I had for dinner last night (I told you I've made some poor choices). I've started to burp, finally, after guzzling half a gallon of coffee, and maybe things will work out.

Tom
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Started at 24k while I was still going to school at about year 3 I was at 48k and now after almost 5 years I'm at 80k
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    After three years I was just under 37k.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    jts1234 wrote: »
    Ok... I've made some poor choices, so maybe I can make a few of you feel better about yourselves.

10 years full-time experience here. I was JOAT/lead for most of that at a school district, then moved a bit into field work for a one/two man operation (where I was #2). At the school, I was making around $47k at the end of it. For the small potatoes company, I got screwed for an entire year and then started making $50k. Of course, by then I was fed up with the situation and quit shortly afterward. That was in Feb '11, and I've been independent/living off of savings since. I have one large customer, and it's nowhere near enough jack to live on.

I cut my resume in half and posted it to monster and dice on Monday. My phone melted on Tuesday with calls, so that's cool. I have two interviews today, and one heck of a wicked stomach ache which I'm pretty sure is gas from the pumpkin shake I had for dinner last night (I told you I've made some poor choices). I've started to burp, finally, after guzzling half a gallon of coffee, and maybe things will work out.

Tom

A since of humor, you have. Go far, you will.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depends on which part of the country you are in or world for that matter.

How's the cost of living in Montana? I would say from just an assumption you are in good shape.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    jts1234 wrote: »

I cut my resume in half and posted it to monster and dice on Monday. My phone melted on Tuesday with calls, so that's cool.

Tom

Sorry for my ignorance, but when you say in half, did you change how many years you worked in IT? or just how long you were at the school?
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Hoping to be at 44K after 3 years as projected during my last interview. Started at 25k 1 year ago. Right now I'm at 30k.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have about on and off of 3 years of IT experience...there are few gaps in there but it still equals up to about 3 yrs and I am making $40k...I need to know how to increase that even though I've been back in the field for about a month now...love where I am working now just feel like everyone else is making more than me since I am one of the new guys. Patience is a virtue though since they almost guarantee a raise a yr (employee reviews)
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm not even at 1 year of pure IT job... I started at 37k, but I've bumped up a few times, hopefully by 3 years i'll be in that 70 to 80 range
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I have about on and off of 3 years of IT experience...there are few gaps in there but it still equals up to about 3 yrs and I am making $40k...I need to know how to increase that even though I've been back in the field for about a month now...Patience is a virtue...

You just answered you own question, my friend. I tripled my initial IT salary, but it took me YEARS to do that. ~15 years in fact, with an 8 month gap.

As I have said to at least one other person....the money in IT comes when you show that you have the passion. If you try to chase the money, you will have a very stressful time.

I put in my time....and things have fell into place. The same will happen with you. Just focus on what you want to do in IT that will bring you both happiness and money. For some guys it's networks, for others it's SQL, others it's Exchange.....as a SQL guy, if I start chasing CCIE because they make millions of dollars (exit sarcasm), I would be miserable. Network engineering, while I'm sure I'd be very above competent, is not something I'd personally want to do. That's me though....for others, the reverse is just as true.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    N2IT wrote: »
    Depends on which part of the country you are in or world for that matter.

How's the cost of living in Montana? I would say from just an assumption you are in good shape.

VERY low. He doesn't live in one of the "Bigger" cities out there either. $50k/yr is great for an IT job with 3 years of experience in that area. I made $62,650/yr when I lived in Great Falls Montana, and that was with 6 years of experience at the time. Lets put it this way, I turned down 6 figure jobs on the East Coast, because the cost of living was so low that I made MORE comparatively in MT. Problem was, it was a DoD contract, and no commercial IT jobs in that area would come anywhere near that salary. I managed to find a bigger area to live in with cost of living in IL that was within 5% of there, and make quite a bit more now.

With 3 years of experience, I was still an E4 in the USAF, so not making much at all.
  • Options
    Sorry for my ignorance, but when you say in half, did you change how many years you worked in IT? or just how long you were at the school?

I had a two page resume with the second page full of familiar technologies, attained certs, mention of my home lab, and so on. I chopped all of that except for some of the certs, and removed the two in-progress degrees on the first page to make room for the relevant certs.

I came to the realization that "resume" means summary, and shortened that thing up to the stuff that mattered most and would fit.

I'm not sure it matters, because I'd only sent my resume out to three or four places before just posting it online... it's not a good experimental design, in other words. Insufficient control group.

Tom
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You just answered you own question, my friend. I tripled my initial IT salary, but it took me YEARS to do that. ~15 years in fact, with an 8 month gap.

As I have said to at least one other person....the money in IT comes when you show that you have the passion. If you try to chase the money, you will have a very stressful time.

I put in my time....and things have fell into place. The same will happen with you. Just focus on what you want to do in IT that will bring you both happiness and money. For some guys it's networks, for others it's SQL, others it's Exchange.....as a SQL guy, if I start chasing CCIE because they make millions of dollars (exit sarcasm), I would be miserable. Network engineering, while I'm sure I'd be very above competent, is not something I'd personally want to do. That's me though....for others, the reverse is just as true.

I understand what you are conveying, and i'm not knocking on you, but oh man, I think i'd personally be rather disgruntled not making 85-100 by about 7 years in today's economy.
  • Options
    Devilry wrote: »
    I understand what you are conveying, and i'm not knocking on you, but oh man, I think i'd personally be rather disgruntled not making 85-100 by about 7 years in today's economy.

Even in GA?

"I'd reckon" that making $50k would be comfortable living in an Atlanta suburb.....GA's a heck of a lot cheaper than NJ.

Seven years was 2004....I was seeing about ~$57k. I was one year into my ERPadmin-ness. At this point I was still a college dropout and very thankful I was gainfully employed. I also didn't even have A+/Network+ certs (which is why I'm always on the experience side of "the argument"...that's all I had throughout my career...that and "some college.")

I wouldn't start seeing the salary I got now until I got to my present job. I'm not that far off in salary from a manager...be it at my current job or elsewhere.

I can't understand why you would need $85k-$100k to live in GA unless of course you're from old money or love affluence. Mind you, $100k isn't ---- in the NYC area, but in GA, except maybe for Atlanta and even then..., that's still a lot of money.

Dev, what am I missing?
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703

Out of curiosity, what is your job role?
  • Options
    Even in GA?

"I'd reckon" that making $50k would be comfortable living in an Atlanta suburb.....GA's a heck of a lot cheaper than NJ.

Seven years was 2004....I was seeing about ~$57k. I was one year into my ERPadmin-ness. At this point I was still a college dropout and very thankful I was gainfully employed. I also didn't even have A+/Network+ certs (which is why I'm always on the experience side of "the argument"...that's all I had throughout my career...that and "some college.")

I wouldn't start seeing the salary I got now until I got to my present job. I'm not that far off in salary from a manager...be it at my current job or elsewhere.

I can't understand why you would need $85k-$100k to live in GA unless of course you're from old money or love affluence. Mind you, $100k isn't ---- in the NYC area, but in GA, except maybe for Atlanta and even then..., that's still a lot of money.

Dev, what am I missing?

Yes, in Georgia.

I already make above $50k, and it's pretty much paycheck to paycheck for a family of 4, and no, we have zero debt. I always get irritated with people saying COL in Georgia is low, I do know as a state it is very true, but if you live in the parts of metro ATL that you don't risk being shot/robbed/raped after sundown, the COL isnt as cheap. I have a family, so the safety and quality of life is very important to me in regards to them. Utility cost here and insane!

However, my statement earlier was not as critiqued as it should have been. I guess what i'm trying to say is in the 'perfect world' if you had you BS, and MS, with your list of certs and the skills on par, I would truly without a doubt expect to be earning $85-100k.

And nope, i'm from a broke background, self earner and supporter. Will be the first person in my family to earn a degree.

Just for the record, i'm by all means not meaning anything antagonistic towards you! I highly respect you as a forum member here, many great insights and I always enjoy following your threads here. Might I add, your post in the WGU Q&A / SE threads, are most likely the top factor in me deciding on WGU finally.

EDIT/ADD: I see 75-85k jobs listed in ATL market almost daily for 3-5 years experience.
  • Options
    drkat wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is your job role?

I'm a PeopleSoft [ERP] [Admin]istrator/SQL Server Database Administrator. I maintain/administer the Student Information Systems/Human Resources/Financials on Windows Server 2008 R2 servers/SQL Server 2005 (soon to be SQL Server 2008 R2) environment. I make sure the system runs smoothly, apply bundles (patches), ensure that database backups/codeline backups are done, and perform migrations from development to production, among other things. I have to know Windows Server as well as the middleware (BEA (Now Oracle)Tuxedo, Weblogic, etc.) to get PeopleSoft installed, upgraded and running.

PeopleSoft is it's own gig by itself...and it exists in every vertical (industry)...

I think I gave you enough to Google, if you wanted, but I'll answer anything else you ask all the same.

Yes, in Georgia.

I already make above $50k, and it's pretty much paycheck to paycheck for a family of 4, and no, we have zero debt. I always get irritated with people saying COL in Georgia is low, I do know as a state it is very true, but if you live in the parts of metro ATL that you don't risk being shot/robbed/raped after sundown, the COL isnt as cheap. I have a family, so the safety and quality of life is very important to me in regards to them. Utility cost here and insane!

However, my statement earlier was not as critiqued as it should have been. I guess what i'm trying to say is in the 'perfect world' if you had you BS, and MS, with your list of certs and the skills on par, I would truly without a doubt expect to be earning $85-100k.

And nope, i'm from a broke background, self earner and supporter. Will be the first person in my family to earn a degree.

Just for the record, i'm by all means not meaning anything antagonistic towards you! I highly respect you as a forum member here, many great insights and I always enjoy following your threads here. Might I add, your post in the WGU Q&A / SE threads, are most likely the top factor in me deciding on WGU finally.

EDIT/ADD: I see 75-85k jobs listed in ATL market almost daily for 3-5 years experience.

I didn't think you were being antagonistic. I did find it a bit funny you thought I was a bit "late" in making my salary, but I didn't take offense to it at all.

I also did not mean to irritate you either but you have to understand where I'm coming from...yes, I do recognize that folks are poor everywhere. (Even up here...even down there.) A Family of four with $60k is tough no matter where you live. However, when you hail from a state with the highest COL in the union (it fluctuates betweeen NJ and CT...), states in the south look very appealing to us "carpetbaggin' yankees." I myself will want to move to TX one day. For the record, I grew up in a metro-area of NJ that would make the section of Atlanta you spoke about with muggings, killings, raping, etc, look like the nicest suburb of GA. I know what it's like to live in the hood...TI and Ludacris have nothing on me....lmao.

My certs had 100% NOTHING to do with me making what I make either....(even the A+/Network+ though I did have them by the time I got to my present gig....I still had them on my resume, but at this stage in the game, they were both non-factors.) Those certs were earned because I'm attending WGU. I'm proud of them, I earned them, but they were not factors in me making $90k...PeopleSoft was...and my understanding of Windows Server technologies, which I have had since Windows NT 3.51. (3.51, 4.0, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2008 R2 [yes, 2008 "R1" was used for like 2 months before we went R2])
  • Options
    I'm a PeopleSoft [ERP] [Admin]istrator

I knew that part already. I wasn't quite sure if you worked on anything else other than Peoplesoft. however you've answered it.
  • Options
    I knew that part already. I wasn't quite sure if you worked on anything else other than Peoplesoft. however you've answered it.

I hope you're not under the impression that PeopleSoft administration isn't IT...but if so, that's neither here nor there. Not saying you are though, but a bunch of folks have the mistaken notion that because there's no certification for PeopleSoft (not really), it's not really IT....it's literally a system all on its own and is about as IT as you can get.

It is very important that I have an idea of how the network infrastructure works around my PeopleSoft systems, in part, because it makes troubleshooting an n-tier environment a whole lot easier.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    for me I also have made some backwards decisions and left trying to just get near where I was in the past.

straight out of the military (8years) I was making $125k plus bonuses per year (sure beat my military pay which averaged 35-45k) I then did a dumb thing and went to the government civilian side and took a hit to the tune of only making $45k per year and 4 years later I make $73k per year (but i am doing the work that a GS14/15 would normally do and they make 100k+).... for those starting out in the commercial (non DOD sector) I would expect you to make on average 40ish with certs and at least an associates. if you are in the security/ia realm add 20-30 depending on certs and experience. after 3 years I would guesstimate that you would have added $30k or about if you lived near most metro areas... for rural areas you will be stuck in teh 50-60 range for years.....

for someone like me with over 14 years experience and a masters degree now (everything from help desk to senior network engineer roles including PM roles) I am finding that the job market is great for less experienced or more specialized and for me I have to make at least high 70's due to school loans and an ex who is bleeding me dry.... no way i have a chance to do that unless I knock out my CCNP and then my CCIE , or if I decide to go the dod contractor route again.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    Monkerz wrote: »
    A since of humor, you have. Go far, you will.

That must be the case! icon_smile.gif

My first interview lead to an offer within an hour or two, and I accepted before even going to the other interview. It's pretty much a dream workplace, open spaces, natural light, fantastic leadership. The job starts in about a week.

I felt bad calling the other interview off, but I wasn't going to waste the man's time. Also: there is a gift basket heading in his direction. Nothing like $25 worth of delivered high-end bakery to stay in good graces.

Tom
  • Options
    I got you! I actually lived in NYC at one point for a while, so I know its pricey up there. You get more 'bang for your buck' here, as in houses are larger and such.

Still what im trying to say is, I know from what I can tell, you have gone the long hard working route of making your money, right? ok, right. Now, what im saying is, if you and I had education such as a MS already and the same certs (presuming those technologies existed) about 5 years prior, do you think we would get to that salary range quicker?

My point is this, I think certain people can jump to a higher level of pay a lot quicker than some. I know the average tech takes well over 10 years to ever see 75+, but I think its possible to rocket there for the right people.

TO THE OP: Moral of the story = you control your destiny on how quickly you make the big bucks, want more money? put more time into your labs, anything is possible within reason.
  • Options
    I hope you're not under the impression that PeopleSoft administration isn't IT...but if so, that's neither here nor there. Not saying you are though, but a bunch of folks have the mistaken notion that because there's no certification for PeopleSoft (not really), it's not really IT....it's literally a system all on its own and is about as IT as you can get.

It is very important that I have an idea of how the network infrastructure works around my PeopleSoft systems, in part, because it makes troubleshooting an n-tier environment a whole lot easier.

By all means no! - I'm used to seeing folks do a JOAT scenario rather than specialization. So I was just curious
  • Options
    By all means no! - I'm used to seeing folks do a JOAT scenario rather than specialization. So I was just curious

No worries, buddy. It's just that I have had that type of conversation before with others. I started out as a JOAT, and chose to specialize. I do thank my JOAT experience for allowing me to get this far.
    I got you! I actually lived in NYC at one point for a while, so I know its pricey up there. You get more 'bang for your buck' here, as in houses are larger and such.

Still what im trying to say is, I know from what I can tell, you have gone the long hard working route of making your money, right? ok, right. Now, what im saying is, if you and I had education such as a MS already and the same certs (presuming those technologies existed) about 5 years prior, do you think we would get to that salary range quicker?

You sound like my effing dad!! LMAO! He has said the exact same thing.

Long story short, I was immature when I was a younger man and I did not have the same drive that I have today. Had I, I probably would have been either a Ph.D or a VP at some company. (Although, honestly, I would have liked to have been a lawyer.)

I'm not trying to say that I regret "taking the long working route of making (my) money--" in fact, I don't. What I am saying is that given my personal circumstances, I pretty much made due with the hand I was dealt.

Would you and I have been guaranteed a higher salary had we had the right credentials, and been at the right place at the right time? Perhaps. However, it is what it is.

My advice to you...keep doing what you're doing. If you plan on going to WGU, you will definitely be in good company. I see a lot of annectodal evidence of how a WGU degree has given folks a $10k-$30k jump. You see those folks in the WGU linkedin groups and even here. I know it's hard for someone in your position to not stress about the money, but believe me....the less you do, the more you'll have.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At 3 years I was making 50k. Like erpadmin, I specialized and saw my salary jump 20k in my next position shortly after. The jack of all trades position helped round me out as an IT professional, and if it weren't for that then I wouldn't have been able to get where I am now. You want to make money? Specialize and get into design. Period.

p.s. Oh I suppose management is also another way :P
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options

You sound like my effing dad!! LMAO! He has said the exact same thing.

Long story short, I was immature when I was a younger man and I did not have the same drive that I have today. Had I, I probably would have been either a Ph.D or a VP at some company. (Although, honestly, I would have liked to have been a lawyer.)

I'm not trying to say that I regret "taking the long working route of making (my) money--" in fact, I don't. What I am saying is that given my personal circumstances, I pretty much made due with the hand I was dealt.

Would you and I have been guaranteed a higher salary had we had the right credentials, and been at the right place at the right time? Perhaps. However, it is what it is.

My advice to you...keep doing what you're doing. If you plan on going to WGU, you will definitely be in good company. I see a lot of annectodal evidence of how a WGU degree has given folks a $10k-$30k jump. You see those folks in the WGU linkedin groups and even here. I know it's hard for someone in your position to not stress about the money, but believe me....the less you do, the more you'll have.

Kind of funny you want[ed] to be a lawyer, I don't know if you have noticed my previous threads but that is the field I am currently in, I thought its what I wanted to do, I absolutely hate it, dirty profession for the most part.

I too am dealing with the same things from screwin off in my younger days, I wish I too had the drive I do now when I was younger!