TSHOOT completed!!

pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
So, I went against my own advice and took the TSHOOT before ROUTE, and passed with a score of 1000/1000!!

Only reason I took the exam was because I felt like I was rushing my ROUTE studies just so I could complete my goal of obtaining the CCNP before Christmas. Now that TSHOOT is done, I have almost 3 months to study/pass ROUTE!

This exam was pretty cool, however I think it could have been better. I like the whole "tickets" thing vs multiple choice questions, but the # of show commands you're allowed to run was pretty limited (I can't run tracert on the client, really??). I would say that so far, this is probably the easiest cisco exam I've taken. A lot of the troubleshooting was basic stuff, nothing complex.

The only study material I used for this exam was the topology information from Cisco, which was more than enough. For those who will be taking the exam, make sure you know the L2 topology (VLANs, EtherChannel, etc) like the back of your hand

2 down, 1 to go!
«1

Comments

  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats on the pass!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!

    Nice going. I can't believe how many people are doing the TSHOOT exam before the ROUTE or the SWITCH exam.

    So you didn't even read any of the books for this? No Official Certification Guide?

    Well, again, great job.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Mod Posts: 6,915 Mod
    Just 1000/1000? Oh well. HAHA! Congrats!
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Thanks, guys!
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Congratulations!

    Nice going. I can't believe how many people are doing the TSHOOT exam before the ROUTE or the SWITCH exam.

    So you didn't even read any of the books for this? No Official Certification Guide?

    Well, again, great job.

    Nope. A lot of people were saying not to bother with the OCG or other books since the exam doesn't cover anything you don't already know. I spent a few hours studying the topology last night but that's pretty much it. After taking the exam, I would have to agree with those that said there's no need for CBT/books for this exam.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Great job!! I remember before you had SWITCH OR TSHOOT and now you got both, meanwhile I'm still plugging along with ROUTE lol. I'll get there eventually though. You're a quick learner man. So what cert are you gonna tackle after CCNP??
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Great job!! I remember before you had SWITCH OR TSHOOT and now you got both, meanwhile I'm still plugging along with ROUTE lol. I'll get there eventually though. You're a quick learner man. So what cert are you gonna tackle after CCNP??

    Ha, yea, you're lagging behind in our CCNP race!

    If I started with ROUTE, I probably wouldn't have completed any of the exam either. After I finished the EIGRP and OSPF section of ROUTE, I was pretty burned out and overloaded with information from ROUTE. I needed a change, and the main reason I did TSHOOT was so that I have more time to study ROUTE, if that made any sense at all.

    After this, it's either CCIE written, CCNP Voice, or CCIP...not sure yet.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    If you have a strong background in IGP(s), BGP, MPLS, and QoS go for the CCIE Written. If not I would suggest the CCIP before taking the CCIE Written.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

    There really isn't a good way to study for TSHOOT. You either know how to troubleshoot routing and switching or you don't.

    I wish they would put a bonus ticket in the exam. Something like "R3 just went up in smoke, you are tasked in configuring the replacement router to allow Client1 to reach the web server."

  • alan2308alan2308 CISSP, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security Ann Arbor, MIMember Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

    icon_thumright.gif

    As for not being able to run tracert, maybe they were emulating a Linux box and you needed to run traceroute?

    :)
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    congrats on the pass!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

    icon_thumright.gif

    As for not being able to run tracert, maybe they were emulating a Linux box and you needed to run traceroute?

    :)

    It is definitely Windows in the DEMO (ipconfig).

  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrads!

    It's so weird. People pass that thing nearly perfectly or bomb. haha, shooting for December myself.
    -Daniel
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    DPG wrote: »
    It is definitely Windows in the DEMO (ipconfig).

    Yea, it was definitely a windows machine. I was a little annoyed that tracert wasn't implemented as I had to manually ping every single device in the network one by one to find out where the ping stop responding :\

    Also, a lot of the show commands I wanted to run (show standby, show track, show ip route ospf), came up with "command not implemented". My suggestion is to not bother with any show command and just go straight for show running config.
  • mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pham0329

    I want to know that do questions have any details like e,g
    "
    R1 is having ospf issues and client is not able to coonect
    "

    or all 14 TT are same i.e
    Client can not ping web server. Find fault
    , without giving any details

    and we have to find if its ospf or eigrp or bgp or layer 2
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Congrads!

    It's so weird. People pass that thing nearly perfectly or bomb. haha, shooting for December myself.

    Its not weird. You A's the test when you **** it.

    Seriously, you will NOT pass or perfect TSHOOT if you don't even know the material of ROUTE. Anybody that went through CCNP the right way knows this.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Its not weird. You A's the test when you **** it.

    Seriously, you will NOT pass or perfect TSHOOT if you don't even know the material of ROUTE. Anybody that went through CCNP the right way knows this.

    Are you suggesting that I dumped the exam and are going through my CCNP the "wrong" way because I took TSHOOT before ROUTE? There's a difference between not knowing ROUTE, and not passing ROUTE. If you think that I can't identify whether a network statement or an ACL is typed in wrong because I haven't pass ROUTE, well, I guess you're underestimating the CCNA.

    I'm pretty sure you're a CCNP, but have you taken the TSHOOT? I don't know if the ticket changes, but my exam was composed of 13 tickets, half of which can be easily identified and fixed by a CCENT. The tickets related to routing covers basic routing and nothing complex or advance. Most of the troubleshooting was done at L2, which the SWITCH exam prepared me for.

    The TSHOOT isn't really a SIM like in CCNA or other CCNP exams, it's essentially a MCQ. The CLI is used to answer the questions given. Also, with the ability to review the list of possible answers and still be able to go back to the previous questions, the exam is quite easy as you can quickly narrow down what's wrong on questions that you don't know.

    EDIT: Initially answered Mirror's question but as down77 pointed out, that would violate the NDA so I removed it icon_sad.gif. If I went into too much detail in my post, let me know and I'll edit some stuff out.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Its not weird. You A's the test when you **** it.

    Seriously, you will NOT pass or perfect TSHOOT if you don't even know the material of ROUTE. Anybody that went through CCNP the right way knows this.

    If they have a strong background in Routing then I don't see this as being a difficult exam to ace. Unfortunately if they have just passed their CCNA with little to no experience configuring/troubleshooting ACLs, BGP, IGP(s), PBR, Route Maps, etc. then I would be highly suspect of anyone with such a high passing score.

    To Mirror51: the OP can't answer those questions without violating the NDA. My advice would be to reference the Exam Topics (link below, Cisco Login required) for the authoritative source of information on the exam, and to go through the Kevin Wallace exam videos to see how the format is presented to the tester.

    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6567

    To the OP: I maintain my original congrats. Keep working on ROUTE and maybe start a thread here with your progress notes as you go through the sections. It also provides a great source of information to go back through as you start your final review for the exam. My advice is to LAB LAB LAB!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    pham0329 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that I dumped the exam and are going through my CCNP the "wrong" way because I took TSHOOT before ROUTE? There's a difference between not knowing ROUTE, and not passing ROUTE. If you think that I can't identify whether a network statement or an ACL is typed in wrong because I haven't pass ROUTE, well, I guess you're underestimating the CCNA.

    I'm pretty sure you're a CCNP, but have you taken the TSHOOT? I don't know if the ticket changes, but my exam was composed of 13 tickets, half of which can be easily identified and fixed by a CCENT. The tickets related to routing covers basic routing and nothing complex or advance. Most of the troubleshooting was done at L2, which the SWITCH exam prepared me for.

    The TSHOOT isn't really a SIM like in CCNA or other CCNP exams, it's essentially a MCQ. The CLI is used to answer the questions given. Also, with the ability to review the list of possible answers and still be able to go back to the previous questions, the exam is quite easy as you can quickly narrow down what's wrong on questions that you don't know.

    EDIT: Initially answered Mirror's question but as down77 pointed out, that would violate the NDA so I removed it icon_sad.gif. If I went into too much detail in my post, let me know and I'll edit some stuff out.

    Are you telling me anybody can run perfectly without learning how to walk?

    Its the same concept of you 1000/1000 TSHOOT with CCNA (routing) knowledge.

    I know a Senior Network Engineer that knows routing like the back of his hand and able to design and troubleshoot it but have a hard time passing ROUTE and cant 1000/1000 TSHOOT.

    So are you telling me that your CCNA routing knowledge is enough to get you 1000/1000 TSHOOT?

    I didn't know CCNA routing knowledge teaches you BGP, CCNP level EIGRP + OSPF and etc that is essential to TSHOOT. icon_rolleyes.gif

    Yes I have taken the same 642-832 TSHOOT that you took and I know that anybody that have CCNA knowledge WILL not pass CCNP TSHOOT.

    Also, it is logical to take the ROUTE after learning ROUTE not take the 1000/1000 TSHOOT without even taking the ROUTE.

    What's even made this worst is you didn't passed ROUTE and you jump into TSHOOT with 1000/1000. Obviously, there's something wrong in this picture.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I know what you're saying NOC-Ninja, I see your points. However, the OP has seemed pretty knowledgeable to me, from some of their posts in other threads. And like he said, he was studying ROUTE, so it wasn't as if he hadn't touched it the material, just hadn't tested on it yet.

    I myself have seen a lot of 1000/1000 TSHOOT scores, and after looking around a bit, there's some good "prep" videos for it. It seems like a lot has to do with how you navigate through the tickets, and how you can look at the answer choices, then go back and examine the problem, to help you narrow it down... and where sometimes you can narrow it down to 2 choices, and then just go do a show command to figure out the answer. As opposed to not seeing available answers, and having to actually troubleshoot the right way and come up with a solution. It's always easier to troubleshoot and find the proper solution when you're actually given 4 possible solutions LOL (that's just my perception from researching it a little, as I haven't taken the exam yet). That's why I think a troubleshooting exam in this format is kind of funny. It's almost as if we need a CCNP-level Lab exam like the CCIE has. Just from reading around, it does seem like there are too many people acing the thing, but hey, that's something Cisco would need to change, if that's the case.

    And let's face it, if someone really was "dumping," they're only hurting themselves. I'm taking my studies very seriously cause I don't wanna be in an interview looking silly. I'm in it for the long haul, so for me I'm not necessarily jumping at the exams. I'm making sure I have basic concepts down pat, to make things smoother going forward. However, it's not fair to label someone else as a "dumper" without knowing their background/experience.

    Congrats again on your pass Pham!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Are you telling me anybody can run perfectly without learning how to walk?

    Its the same concept of you 1000/1000 TSHOOT with CCNA (routing) knowledge.

    That analogy doesn't work - you're comparing a physical activity to a multiple choice question. Even if I don't know the answer, I still have a chance at getting it right. I'm not saying everybody with only CCNA knowledge will 1000/1000 TSHOOT, but are you telling me it's impossible for anyone to do it? Especially when you're allowed to go back and forth between the questions? For example, if the ticket says client 1 can't ping web server, what's the problem.

    You're then given a choice between 4 routers where the problem could exists. If you click one R2, it lists the possible reason why it wouldn't work and the possible fixes. You know that none of the reasons it listed is relevant to why the client can't ping the web server so you back out and select a different device, and repeat the process until you get a clue as to what's wrong with the configuration.

    My score may have been different if it was a SIM like other exams where I was given objectives or tickets, and I have to go in and work with the CLI to resolve the problem. But when I'm given possible solutions to the problem, you don't think I can narrow it down or confirm what the problem is?
    I know a Senior Network Engineer that knows routing like the back of his hand and able to design and troubleshoot it but have a hard time passing ROUTE and cant 1000/1000 TSHOOT.

    Cool, we're not talking about ROUTE, we're talking about TSHOOT. Feel free to PM me as we can discuss in detail about the tickets, but I don't feel like there's any tickets in the TSHOOT exam that requires advance routing knowledge.

    Also, going by that standard, does that mean unless you're a senior network engineer, you should only be able to barely pass ROUTE because your network engineer had a hard time passing it?
    So are you telling me that your CCNA routing knowledge is enough to get you 1000/1000 TSHOOT?

    Where did I say that? I'm saying the TSHOOT can be passed with CCNA level knowledge. You're saying I can't pass TSHOOT at all, much less 1000/1000 just because I only have a CCNA.
    I didn't know CCNA routing knowledge teaches you BGP, CCNP level EIGRP + OSPF and etc that is essential to TSHOOT. icon_rolleyes.gif

    It doesn't, but does that mean that I didn't learn CCNP OSPF/EIGRP when I was studying for CCNA? I was using CCNP CBT/books while studying for CCNA because I hated how the CCNA only briefly covers the routing protocols.

    Read post #5
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/69177-switch-down-onto-route.html

    Yes I have taken the same 642-832 TSHOOT that you took and I know that anybody that have CCNA knowledge WILL not pass CCNP TSHOOT.

    Again, feel free to PM me the tickets in which you believe someone with CCNA knowledge would not be able to resolve.
    Also, it is logical to take the ROUTE after learning ROUTE not take the 1000/1000 TSHOOT without even taking the ROUTE.

    What's even made this worst is you didn't passed ROUTE and you jump into TSHOOT with 1000/1000. Obviously, there's something wrong in this picture.

    So your argument falls back to the fact that I haven't passed ROUTE? It may not be logical, but it worked. For example, DPG also took TSHOOT before ROUTE, and his thread was one of the reason why I attempted TSHOOT. I didn't pass ROUTE because I haven't attempted ROUTE...that doesn't mean I haven't been studying for it.

    Also, where are you getting the idea that TSHOOT is only about routing? I would say 30% of the exam is actually routing related.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't be bothered by NOC-Ninja's comments. He is accusatory in a lot of his posts.

    Anyone with decent routing and switching troubleshooting skills can easily pass TSHOOT without even a CCENT.

  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    DPG wrote: »
    I wouldn't be bothered by NOC-Ninja's comments. He is accusatory in a lot of his posts.

    Anyone with decent routing and switching troubleshooting skills can easily pass TSHOOT without even a CCENT.
    Are you hating because I didn't call you out when you passed TSHOOT before taking ROUTE? icon_rolleyes.gif

    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/69621-tshoot-before-route-switch.html

    let me guess? you have CCNA routing knowledge thats why you passed?
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass and nice score!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    That analogy doesn't work - you're comparing a physical activity to a multiple choice question. Even if I don't know the answer, I still have a chance at getting it right. I'm not saying everybody with only CCNA knowledge will 1000/1000 TSHOOT, but are you telling me it's impossible for anyone to do it? Especially when you're allowed to go back and forth between the questions? For example, if the ticket says client 1 can't ping web server, what's the problem.

    You're then given a choice between 4 routers where the problem could exists. If you click one R2, it lists the possible reason why it wouldn't work and the possible fixes. You know that none of the reasons it listed is relevant to why the client can't ping the web server so you back out and select a different device, and repeat the process until you get a clue as to what's wrong with the configuration.

    My score may have been different if it was a SIM like other exams where I was given objectives or tickets, and I have to go in and work with the CLI to resolve the problem. But when I'm given possible solutions to the problem, you don't think I can narrow it down or confirm what the problem is?

    Yes it’s impossible even if its multiple questions. You don’t get 1000/1000 by guessing.
    Cool, we're not talking about ROUTE, we're talking about TSHOOT. Feel free to PM me as we can discuss in detail about the tickets, but I don't feel like there's any tickets in the TSHOOT exam that requires advance routing knowledge.

    Also, going by that standard, does that mean unless you're a senior network engineer, you should only be able to barely pass ROUTE because your network engineer had a hard time passing it?

    We’re not talking about ROUTE but TSHOOT has ROUTE in it. To be able to understand TSHOOT, you need to go through ROUTE. How can you 1000/1000 TSHOOT without even passing or 1000/1000 ROUTE? Are you really trying to convince me and everyone here that someone with CCNA knowledge could pass TSHOOT? Are you serious? I took the test and I know there’s no way a CCNA routing level will pass TSHOOT.
    Yes, I actually had a hard time passing it.
    Where did I say that? I'm saying the TSHOOT can be passed with CCNA level knowledge. You're saying I can't pass TSHOOT at all, much less 1000/1000 just because I only have a CCNA.
    Im saying is how can you 1000/1000 TSHOOT with a CCNA routing knowledge?
    It doesn't, but does that mean that I didn't learn CCNP OSPF/EIGRP when I was studying for CCNA? I was using CCNP CBT/books while studying for CCNA because I hated how the CCNA only briefly covers the routing protocols.

    Read post #5
    Switch Down, onto Route!

    half of which can be easily identified and fixed by a CCENT.

    You’re telling me that you got 1000/1000 in TSHOOT without even passing ROUTE or 1000/1000 ROUTE and you are trying to convince me that half of the TSHOOT tickets can be fixed by CCENT? icon_rolleyes.gif

    So your argument falls back to the fact that I haven't passed ROUTE? It may not be logical, but it worked. For example, DPG also took TSHOOT before ROUTE, and his thread was one of the reason why I attempted TSHOOT. I didn't pass ROUTE because I haven't attempted ROUTE...that doesn't mean I haven't been studying for it.

    Also, where are you getting the idea that TSHOOT is only about routing? I would say 30% of the exam is actually routing related.

    Yea it’s not logical that you 1000/1000 TSHOOT without even passing or 1000/1000 ROUTE.
    I never said TSHOOT was just ROUTE. However, to be able to pass TSHOOT , someone has to really know ROUTE and SWITCH.
    A normal person will study ROUTE and then will attempt the ROUTE test since his so scared to fail and forget ROUTE.
    However, you went to SWITCH, studied ROUTE while in CCNA and jump into TSHOOT with a spanking 1000/1000. Congrats! icon_wink.gif
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    maybe OP gets most of his experience on the job? I was and still am studying for switch when I first took my current job, I was thrown into a project where I had to really study up on BGP...people get they're learn on in all different ways,anythings is possible.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You DO NOT have to know everything that is on the ROUTE and SWITCH exam to pass TSHOOT.

    TSHOOT is a completely different exam.

  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Yes it’s impossible even if its multiple questions. You don’t get 1000/1000 by guessing.

    Ah, so in your world, you either know all the answers, or you guessed all the answers? It's not possible that someone know most of the answer, and guessed the one or 2 that they don't know and gets them right?
    We’re not talking about ROUTE but TSHOOT has ROUTE in it. To be able to understand TSHOOT, you need to go through ROUTE. How can you 1000/1000 TSHOOT without even passing or 1000/1000 ROUTE? Are you really trying to convince me and everyone here that someone with CCNA knowledge could pass TSHOOT? Are you serious? I took the test and I know there’s no way a CCNA routing level will pass TSHOOT.
    Yes, I actually had a hard time passing it.

    You're the only person who seems to need convincing because apparently, to you, the CCNA doesn't teach anything. Are you telling me that someone with CCNA can't tell if a network statement is entered in wrong? They can't tell whether one side is using authentication and the others isn't? They can't tell that an interface hasn't been enabled for OSPF? They can't tell that the reason why neighbors relationship isn't forming was because the interface is passive? What exactly do you think they teach in ICDN 2??

    Either I went overboard with my CCNA studies or you've vastly underestimating the CCNA.
    You’re telling me that you got 1000/1000 in TSHOOT without even passing ROUTE or 1000/1000 ROUTE and you are trying to convince me that half of the TSHOOT tickets can be fixed by CCENT? icon_rolleyes.gif

    Yes, I got 1000/1000 in TSHOOT and haven't passed ROUTE. Ok, I may have went overboard with the CCENT statement. Let me rephrased that. I believe half the tickets can be identified and fixed by a CCENT with experience. Would you like me to repeat anything else I've already said?

    So, what you're saying is that unless I passed ROUTE, I have no idea what EIGRP, OSPF, Redistribution, Route Map, Prefix list, ACL, NAT is? I suppose if I hadn't taken SWITCH, all my knowledge about STP, RSTP, HSRP, CEF, and everything I've learned about switching would also be invalidated and you would be telling me that I know nothing about switching either?
    Yea it’s not logical that you 1000/1000 TSHOOT without even passing or 1000/1000 ROUTE.
    I never said TSHOOT was just ROUTE. However, to be able to pass TSHOOT , someone has to really know ROUTE and SWITCH.
    A normal person will study ROUTE and then will attempt the ROUTE test since his so scared to fail and forget ROUTE.
    However, you went to SWITCH, studied ROUTE while in CCNA and jump into TSHOOT with a spanking 1000/1000. Congrats! icon_wink.gif

    Maybe you should reread my post. I went to SWITCH, then studied ROUTE, then took TSHOOT. Now, why didn't I take ROUTE before TSHOOT? Because the entire ROUTE exam is focused on routing, whereas TSHOOT is focused on troubleshooting, with very little actual routing taking place. You've yet to give me a reason as to why someone needs to pass ROUTE before passing TSHOOT other than "it's logical".

    Why do you think Cisco allows you to choose the order in which you take the exam if everyone who passes TSHOOT before ROUTE is dumping? Or are you only saying that I dumped because I got a 1000/1000...which you're Senior Network Engineer couldn't?
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    Maybe you should reread my post. I went to SWITCH, then studied ROUTE, then took TSHOOT. Now, why didn't I take ROUTE before TSHOOT? Because the entire ROUTE exam is focused on routing, whereas TSHOOT is focused on troubleshooting, with very little actual routing taking place. You've yet to give me a reason as to why someone needs to pass ROUTE before passing TSHOOT other than "it's logical".

    I studied for ROUTE, got off track due to work, studied SWITCH because I found some cheap equipment, passed SWITCH, studied ROUTE some more, got off track again due to work, and then passed TSHOOT without much studying. I am now studying for ROUTE once again.

  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Me too! You should look at Routing TCP/IP Volume 1, it complements the FLG nicely.
Sign In or Register to comment.