Branchecache modes vs Transparent Caching

Hey All,

Was wondering if you could help clarify a few things for me before I take my exam.

Branchcache allows an office to download files a single time and then have them be stored on a computer or server so the other computers in the network don't have to go get the same file again and again.

Distributed Cache Mode has no special server to it, it simply has Windows 7 Ult or Ent computers in the office. The file is requested by computer 1 in the office, and the file is given to that computer. If computer 2,3,4 wants the file, it checks with computer 1 and is given the file.

Hosted Cache Mode requires a Win Server 2008 R2, 2 NICs, 2 IP addresses, and something else at the moment escapes me, but essentially the file in the office is sent to the R2 server, and then PC 1-4 can grab the file from the server.

What is the difference between BC and Transparent Caching? I understand transparent caching comes into effect when a link is below a certain threshold, but I don't understand if the file is automatically cached or if it is on a file by file basis.

Please advise.

Comments

• parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    Disregard the reqs for the BC mode, I was thinking Direct Access. However, I am still confused about the differences of the two types of caching?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With Hosted mode, you'd have a Server 2008 R2 in your branch office. The clients would access the necessary files from that server, saving them from having to individually retrieving the file from the head office.

In Distributed mode, you won't have a branch office server. The clients would cache the file themselves and other clients could access the files from the client that had the file. If I remember right, M$ suggests using distributed mode in offices with less than 50 users.
    Ya, that is how I understand BC modes to work, but what about Trasnaprent Caching? What is the deal with that?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From Troubleshooting:
    Transparent cache is a secondary cache where the file is stored in addition to the BranchCache. Storing the file in the transparent cache enables subsequent reads of the file to be satisfied locally improving end-user response times and savings on WAN bandwidth.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    So Transparent caching is for a local user, where BC is for a user over a network?
  • rjs_essexrjs_essex Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So Transparent caching is for a local user, where BC is for a user over a network?

That's right... A quick search will show a thread where I answered the exact same question a while ago...

Original Thread

Hope that helps!

Richard icon_cool.gif
    WIP: 70-417, Security+, Project+, CCNA
    Ya, I saw that post after I made this one, thanks for the info.