Options

How important is your college GPA to employers

davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know a high GPA doesnt necessarily translate to success in the field but it does show good and consistent work ethic. How important is one's GPA when looking for an IT job during their first 5 years in the field?

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    davidboy wrote: »
    I know a high GPA doesnt necessarily translate to success in the field but it does show good and consistent work ethic. How important is one's GPA when looking for an IT job during their first 5 years in the field?

With the obvious exception of graduate programmes with big companies that will put you on the fasttrack and move you far away from technical support duties rapidly (if you do them at all) on the whole companies do not care about your GPA. Having a degree is nice but that's about it. IT roles are generally blue collar and white collar these days. If you are blue collar then you need to configure boxes well and close tickets. If white collar then your college will be scrutinised before you are given a break by company 'x' and once in, before long, you will be giving blue collar employees lots of work to do and before you are 30 you will earn more than 90% of the people on TE.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It hasn't factored into any of my jobs as of yet and they have all paid relatively well. I've been in IT for 7 years and it hasn't been brought up once.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    Fresh out of college, I think it does seperate you from the rest of the other college grads, but after that nope!
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142

This was something I always curious about, esp when people include their Latin Honors. Correct me if I am wrong, doesn't that usually translate into a GPA "grouping"?
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    I dont know what you mean by "GPA grouping."

So would I be wasting my time and effort if Im aiming to graduate with honors? Im a bit of a perfectionist and am very hard on myself earning anything lower than a 3.5. I put in a lot of time.

Is my time better served getting experience? I figured that if I put in 1/2 the effort, I would can a earn a 3.0 and this would give me more time to focus my time on other things such as an internship.

Still, I want to get into an IS MBA (maybe MS) program such as UCLA or SDSU and I know a relatively decent GPA is required but I think a 3.0+ is sufficient for these schools.
  • Options

So would I be wasting my time and effort if Im aiming to graduate with honors? Im a bit of a perfectionist and am very hard on myself earning anything lower than a 3.5. I put in a lot of time.

Is my time better served getting experience? I figured that if I put in 1/2 the effort, I would can a earn a 3.0 and this would give me more time to focus my time on other things such as an internship.

Still, I want to get into an IS MBA (maybe MS) program such as UCLA or SDSU and I know a relatively decent GPA is required but I think a 3.0+ is sufficient for these schools.

Get the best GPA and degree you can. Experience you get with time but a GPA is for life.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I graduated my undegrad with a 3.4 and my grad with a 3.8 and it has never come up. As someone else said earlier on the blue collar side a degree can be used as a screening tool but most could care less beyond that you finished it. A lot of the best techs I've worked with either graduated from no name schools or didn't graduate at all, focusing on certs instead. GPA is never discussed.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    I graduated my undegrad with a 3.4 and my grad with a 3.8 and it has never come up. As someone else said earlier on the blue collar side a degree can be used as a screening tool but most could care less beyond that you finished it. A lot of the best techs I've worked with either graduated from no name schools or didn't graduate at all, focusing on certs instead. GPA is never discussed.

You have some good grades there. For blue collar I agree. For white collar get the best GPA at the best college you can afford. Same if you want a blue collar job in a white collar elitist company and want to move out of operations.
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142

Such as 3.1-3.3 = Cum Laude

3.4 - 3.6 = Magna cum Laude

With Summa being a 4.0
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    What is considered a white collar IT job or white collar IT company? I'd like to get into IBM or Qualcomm as a Systems Analyst and eventually as a Project/Systems/IT manager or consultant. I plan on specializing in either software engineering/networking/database. Just cant decide which one yet.

I dont know but right now Im getting a sense that Im wasting my effort trying to get straight As.
    KrisA wrote: »
    Such as 3.1-3.3 = Cum Laude

3.4 - 3.6 = Magna cum Laude

With Summa being a 4.0
    When you graduate with honors, I believe they look at your cumulative GPA. But I have no idea what those terms are...
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe this is the range, but it may be different in other parts of the country.

Summa cum laude 3.90
    Magna cum laude 3.70
    Cum laude 3.50

I graduated cum laude, and it's been brought up in almost every interview. Employers seem to like the distinction. Hasn't been brought up after the initial hire. It's just another piece of the puzzle to get that job you want.
  • Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kevozz wrote: »

I graduated cum laude, and it's been brought up in almost every interview. Employers seem to like the distinction.

If all other factors are equal, in terms of education, certs and experience, but one prospect has a 3.7 GPA and the other has 3.0 GPA. Who do you think the employer will hire?
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    One's GPA isn't important in and of itself. It doesn't mean one is more intelligent or a harder worker. It shows that grades are important to you. Some people that want to hire you like to see that, and some others don't give a fig. E.g., if you're applying to CompUSA, the hiring manager likely doesn't really care whether or not you graduated summa cum laude or not. However, if you're applying to work at Google, the hiring manager might check that off as a feather in your cap. It really depends on the prestige of the organization that you're trying to break into. IBM - GPA is a big deal. ABC Analytics Corp., not so much.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    eserfeliz wrote: »

It doesn't mean one is more intelligent or a harder worker.

A high GPA does not equate to intelligence or hard work? What is this non-sense?

So, students with a 4.0 GPA are not smart and do not work hard...

You must have bad grades...lol
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heny '06 wrote: »
    Fresh out of college, I think it does seperate you from the rest of the other college grads, but after that nope!

+1

What you do in college (GPA, honors, extra curriculars, etc.) may have an impact when you have no experience and you are fresh out of college. While there may be some pedantic hiring managers that cannot seem to evaluate competency and lean on such metrics later in someones career, I cannot see many instances where this sort of information would be relevant.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Firecell wrote: »
    A high GPA does not equate to intelligence or hard work? What is this non-sense?

Well, I can see his point. Some schools are pretty free with inflated grades. In those situations, it doesn't necessarily take either of those components to get decent grades. However, I only had a few professors that were that way, and many more that were rather demanding... especially in grad school, thus far.
  • Options
    kevozz wrote: »
    I believe this is the range, but it may be different in other parts of the country.

Summa cum laude 3.90
    Magna cum laude 3.70
    Cum laude 3.50

I graduated cum laude, and it's been brought up in almost every interview. Employers seem to like the distinction. Hasn't been brought up after the initial hire. It's just another piece of the puzzle to get that job you want.

Is this traditionally printed on your actual diploma? It was never brought up, but I had slightly better than a 3.5... so that would be interesting from my perspective.
  • Options
    When you graduate with honors, I believe they look at your cumulative GPA. But I have no idea what those terms are...

Honors are typically something separate from your specific GPA, although you are required to maintain a certain level in non-honors courses. To graduate with honors, you must take and satisfactorily pass honors versions of courses, have X percentage of your credits in honors caliber courses.
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »

Honors are typically something separate from your specific GPA, although you are required to maintain a certain level in non-honors courses. To graduate with honors, you must take and satisfactorily pass honors versions of courses, have X percentage of your credits in honors caliber courses.

Honors courses has nothing to do with graduating with honors. The honors designation is based solely on your GPA. I know this, because I graduated with honors from American Military University with a 3.97 GPA. "With Honors" is notated on both the degree and transcript.

I suspect a degree of difference in universities, as the rules might be different depending on which university you examine.
  • Options
    Honors courses has nothing to do with graduating with honors. The honors designation is based solely on your GPA. I know this, because I graduated with honors from American Military University with a 3.97 GPA. "With Honors" is notated on both the degree and transcript.

I suspect a degree of difference in universities, as the rules might be different depending on which university you examine.

I am sure that this is something considered by universities. I know that all of the B&M schools that I have either attended or investigated had honors courses that were required to graduate with honors. I was contemplating going that route, but passed as the honors courses were only offered during the day, which would not have worked with my schedule and would have greatly increased my tuition, as evening courses had a lower tuition and having one day course moved all courses to the higher tuition rate.
  • Options

I have a 3.7 GPA. All while working a full time job. I'll politely ask you not to assume anything about me, as you know nothing about me.

I knew a student with a 3.92 GPA, graduated summa cum laude. He would ask the dumbest questions in class and didn't show much aptitude for our degree. He spent a lot of time asking the professor what was going to be on the exam and memorizing the book.

P.S. "Nonsense" isn't hyphenated. But, you have a 3.97 GPA, so you probably already know that.

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    If all other factors are equal, in terms of education, certs and experience, but one prospect has a 3.7 GPA and the other has 3.0 GPA. Who do you think the employer will hire?

While that may be true, the 3.0 GPA student would have had more time for certs and work experience.

I'd much rather hire someone with a 3.0 and 4 years work experience than someone with a 3.7.

Personally I decided to give up some GPA for work experience. Instead of being a 4.0 student, I'm around a 3.5 and have 4 years of relevant, real-world experience. During my last interview for my current employer they commented that I must have great time-management skills to have worked full time while taking classes.
  • Options
    That alone doesnt sound like a justifiable reason to get a high GPA. I think the efforts far outweigh the benefits.
    One's GPA isn't important in and of itself. It doesn't mean one is more intelligent or a harder worker. It shows that grades are important to you. Some people that want to hire you like to see that, and some others don't give a fig. E.g., if you're applying to CompUSA, the hiring manager likely doesn't really care whether or not you graduated summa cum laude or not. However, if you're applying to work at Google, the hiring manager might check that off as a feather in your cap. It really depends on the prestige of the organization that you're trying to break into. IBM - GPA is a big deal. ABC Analytics Corp., not so much.
    I most certainly want to get into a prestigious firm... not necessarily IBM though but I wouldn't mind.
    Honors courses has nothing to do with graduating with honors
    This is how it was at my CC
    I have a 3.7 GPA. All while working a full time job. I'll politely ask you not to assume anything about me, as you know nothing about me.

I knew a student with a 3.92 GPA, graduated summa cum laude. He would ask the dumbest questions in class and didn't show much aptitude for our degree. He spent a lot of time asking the professor what was going to be on the exam and memorizing the book.

P.S. "Nonsense" isn't hyphenated. But, you have a 3.97 GPA, so you probably already know that.
    To be fair, a high GPA shows that you are committed to something positive. That is a good sign for any employer in any industry.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Is this traditionally printed on your actual diploma? It was never brought up, but I had slightly better than a 3.5... so that would be interesting from my perspective.

It's packed away somewhere. I'll let you know when i find it.
  • Options
    To be fair, a high GPA shows that you are committed to something positive. That is a good sign for any employer in any industry.

A high GPA is just one portion of your academic career, which, in turn, is one small part of your employment profile.

I put my GPA on my resume, but it's just one part of what I can offer a potential employer. I don't let it define me, as that would be a shallow and superficial way to introduce myself to someone.

"Hi. I have a 3.9 GPA."

Employers want you to be more than a number. So, my final advice to you is: be more than a number. Join clubs, volunteer your time, work on certifications, play intramural sports. College is about so much more than the number of As you got. Make a point to get to know your fellow students. Get an education other than what you find in your books. Your future employers will get a better sense of who you are, and, more importantly, you'll begin to get a sense of self and your true worth that transcends that number between 1.0 and 4.0.

Best of luck to you.

• Options
    darkladdiedarkladdie Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□

As people have said earlier, it depends on the company and the role you are applying for.
    When talking to company recruiters back in college (RPI) during my sophomore year, they said one thing that me and my friends took to heart about GPA: "Applicants with 4.0 GPA and no work experience get tossed because these individuals have no social skills and cannot apply their knowledge to real world problems."
    Two of my friends graduated with a 4.0 GPA in Computer Systems Engineering and did two coops with companies that eventually hired them.

In other words, for companies that place emphasis on team work, a perfect GPA is great when backed up with experience. But the companies that like 4.0 GPA candidates with no work experience tend to be companies where that individual will be working alone with minimal team contact initially(e.g. Research Analysts).

At least that still true during the earlier part of the last decade.
  • Options
    trontertronter Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For Entry-Level, it is VERY important. I know people with GPAs below 3.0 who couldn't land an interview due to the HR filtering them out. Your GPA is a strong indicator of your work ethic. After you have a few years experience it won't matter as much, but if you are still in college then make sure to keep it above a 3.0. It might not help you get the job, but it can easily prevent you from getting an interview, and without an interview you aren't going to get any experience (read jobs).
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    If you're still a student, then do your best to get the highest grades and put in effort to get as much knowledge as you can. It may give you an advantage, or it may not. It will give you an advantage if you decided to apply for higher education degrees (MSc, PhD..). I see no reason why students shouldn't do their very best..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    A lot of big Vendors like Cisco and IBM have interest in fresh graduates with high GPAs. Oracle has one too, and I reckon more does. If you are lucky you could get head hunted by a big vendor right after graduation. I had a great offer from Cisco but couldn't take it because I couldn't relocate at that time.

Just get the best GPA you can, time is never wasted when you study. You have your entire life time to get practical experience and certifications

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My current employer has never once asked what my GPA was.