Options

How important is your college GPA to employers

2»

Comments

• Options
    davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can free up an extra 6-8 hours a week or so and earn a ~3.0 GPA. The extra 6-8 hours are what get me straight As. I really study A LOT at times. Im getting discouraged, however, since a high GPA seems so overrated in IT. It seems like the many hours I put in will be in vain.

My work ethic isnt just limited to academics either. I used to work 60 hours a week consistently at $10/hr doing manual labor. Crappy pay along with physically demanding work was what motivated me to go back to school. Hopefully my future prospective employers can see the link between my academics and my work ethic.

What do you guys think? Should I worry less about my academics and just try to find an internship so I can get some experience?
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    A high GPA is just one portion of your academic career, which, in turn, is one small part of your employment profile.

I put my GPA on my resume, but it's just one part of what I can offer a potential employer. I don't let it define me, as that would be a shallow and superficial way to introduce myself to someone.

"Hi. I have a 3.9 GPA."

Employers want you to be more than a number. So, my final advice to you is: be more than a number. Join clubs, volunteer your time, work on certifications, play intramural sports. College is about so much more than the number of As you got. Make a point to get to know your fellow students. Get an education other than what you find in your books. Your future employers will get a better sense of who you are, and, more importantly, you'll begin to get a sense of self and your true worth that transcends that number between 1.0 and 4.0.

Best of luck to you.
    I absolutely agree about it only being one part of what one can offer. A high GPA is a HUGE portion of your academic career though. What else can one do academically that can be measured as rigidly? I dont consider joining clubs to be related to academics at all. I am in my school's IT organization, however, and it's a good way to network.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'd say shoot for at least a 3.0 and find a job or internship to gain experience.

Having just a degree without experience is going to make it real hard to find a decent job.

I worked 3/4 time for the first 3-years of my degree and just recently switched over to full time employment for a different company. Not only will the experience look great when I finish, but I won't need to hunt for a job when I'm done. Don't forget about the added income either! -An extra 50k/year is great while finishing up my degree.
  • Options
    badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    I do not put a lot of stock into applicant's GPA, really. Using it as the first-pass filter eliminates candidates that otherwise would be excellent hires. You have to look beyond academic results and approach hiring holistically. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. The candidate that has a perfect 4.0 may be an introverted milquetoast that would break into a cold sweat at the very thought of being in front of a client to present (A great analyst, though!). The candidate that spent 4 years (or more) in college partying may not be the strongest analyst, but put them in front of a client, and they can perform wonders. I have hired both types, and balance the team out so that we have all the bases covered.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    davidboy wrote: »
    I can free up an extra 6-8 hours a week or so and earn a ~3.0 GPA. The extra 6-8 hours are what get me straight As. I really study A LOT at times. Im getting discouraged, however, since a high GPA seems so overrated in IT. It seems like the many hours I put in will be in vain.

My work ethic isnt just limited to academics either. I used to work 60 hours a week consistently at $10/hr doing manual labor. Crappy pay along with physically demanding work was what motivated me to go back to school. Hopefully my future prospective employers can see the link between my academics and my work ethic.

What do you guys think? Should I worry less about my academics and just try to find an internship so I can get some experience?

I absolutely agree about it only being one part of what one can offer. A high GPA is a HUGE portion of your academic career though. What else can one do academically that can be measured as rigidly? I dont consider joining clubs to be related to academics at all. I am in my school's IT organization, however, and it's a good way to network.

I say shoot for the best GPA you can get to be honest. You can always brush up on social skills later on in life. Grades do count in many areas.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Firecell wrote: »
    Honors courses has nothing to do with graduating with honors. The honors designation is based solely on your GPA. I know this, because I graduated with honors from American Military University with a 3.97 GPA. "With Honors" is notated on both the degree and transcript.

I suspect a degree of difference in universities, as the rules might be different depending on which university you examine.

I think what powerfool is talking about is Honors Distinction, which is different from graduating with honors.