Options

Network Engineer Interview

ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
Well I have my first interview for a Network Engineer tier 2 position. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I have seen some posts on here with some sample interview questions that I will be going through and preparing for. Is there any advice I can get to improve my chances of getting a second interview?

What is your opinion about the "why are you leaving your current employer question?" I really looking for a place that I can learn and grow within but I am also looking to make more money. Is this something I should say during the interview. Considering that I am drastically under paid. This is my first networking gig and I needed the experience for my resume so I was ok with sacrificing the money for the experience.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck on interview!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options

I am really bad at interviews. I get nervous and it feels like I am tripping over myself. I do not have a problem with technical information. It is the rest of the questions that seem to trip me up. If it were just technical I would be very comfortable.

Is there a way to improve my interview skills? This is the biggest job I have ever interviewed for and I want to leave a good impression.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Speak clearly, be confident, be honest, and know what is on your own resume! Also ASK QUESTIONS!

I have been on the interviewer side of the fence for the past couple weeks. I've had the opportunity to interview about a half dozen candidates for a 1 year contract position. It amazes me how many of them when asked about something I read word for word off of THEIR resume seemed to have know idea what I was asking about.

Make your answers as short/precise/to the point as you can. It is quite annoying to ask a question that only requires a 2 sentence response, and get a 30 minute ramble of an answer.

The biggest thing I could say is "LISTEN". Communication skills are vital, and communication is a 2 way street, you need to be able to listen just as well as you can speak. The answer to some questions may be contained within the question itself.
  • Options
    techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Good luck on the interview!! When I interviewed for my Network Engineering position, my go to questions were: "What would characterize the top performer in your company?" "Where do you see me in the next 10 years with the company?" "Is there any training materials that I could have to prepare before the start date?" I make sure to ask the questions that ensure the employer that I am dedicated and will be a good asset to the company many years down the road. :D
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses. I will be brushing up on my interview questions today and hopefully I can knock this thing out of the park and get past the first interview stage. This would be great for my career!!

So just to summarize

keep answers short and concise
    speak clearly and honesty
    ask questions
    know your resume
    don't for get to breath
  • Options
    Well the interview went good. The first thing they had me do was sit down and fill out a 4 pages questioner that was all technical. He told me this was to determine my technical knowledge. I was able to fill out completely and give some examples even though it was not asked. I am hoping that this will give me more consideration.

As for the interview it was just a standard interview not to technical. I was told that I would be allowed to take some of the equipment home with me to "learn on my own" which I am really excited about. I was told that they would be getting in touch with me if I meet the requirements but he didn't give me a time frame and I did not ask. How long on average does it take to get a second interview?
  • Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shanman wrote: »
    Well the interview went good. The first thing they had me do was sit down and fill out a 4 pages questioner that was all technical. He told me this was to determine my technical knowledge. I was able to fill out completely and give some examples even though it was not asked. I am hoping that this will give me more consideration.

As for the interview it was just a standard interview not to technical. I was told that I would be allowed to take some of the equipment home with me to "learn on my own" which I am really excited about. I was told that they would be getting in touch with me if I meet the requirements but he didn't give me a time frame and I did not ask. How long on average does it take to get a second interview?
    that depends on the number of candidates that scaled through the first stage. I also have a phone interview schedule for this coming monday as a Data center technician and i have been wondering what the phone interview will be all about. Any one in the house had gone through this stage?
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nethacker wrote: »
    that depends on the number of candidates that scaled through the first stage. I also have a phone interview schedule for this coming monday as a Data center technician and i have been wondering what the phone interview will be all about. Any one in the house had gone through this stage?

Most of the phone interviews I've had are done to weed out applicants with weak skill sets. In my experience I'd recommend preparing for general technical questions related to the position description. If you make it through that then it's worth their time to meet you in person.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    I don't know how many people they were interviewing but they did say they have had a lot of interviews this week. I guess they are growing like crazy and need the help. This is direct hire position. Would you think if you don't here something within a week then your chances of a second interview are slim to none.
  • Options
    Most of the phone interviews I've had are done to weed out applicants with weak skill sets. In my experience I'd recommend preparing for general technical questions related to the position description. If you make it through that then it's worth their time to meet you in person.
    thanks for that.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    Well I had the interview on Thursday and tomorrow is Tuesday. How long will it take for them to email me if they want an second interview? I can't help but to think that if they were interested they would have emailed me by now. Do I have good reason to worry?
  • Options
    Well I had the interview on Thursday and tomorrow is Tuesday. How long will it take for them to email me if they want an second interview? I can't help but to think that if they were interested they would have emailed me by now. Do I have good reason to worry?

you need not worry, they might be taking their time to sort out the dates to meet with others just like you. I had a phone interview too yesterday and it was technical also went well. I got a mail from my interviewer that same yesterday to come in for a face 2 face interview today.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    any word from them?
  • Options
    No not yet...Guess it didn't go as well as I hoped. I would have thought they would get back with me within a day if they wanted me.
  • Options
    No not yet...Guess it didn't go as well as I hoped. I would have thought they would get back with me within a day if they wanted me.
    i will encourage you not to loose hope.
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    They just called me! I have a second interview..... :)
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    They just called me! I have a second interview..... :)

Well that was good timing! See, just when you start thinking no.. its a yes!

When is your 2nd interview?
  • Options
    Thursday at 10.. I guess it will be with the same people and some project managers. Not sure who else tho... Any advice on how to handle this one?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Handle it the same way you handled the other one. Just be honest about your self and you have nothing to fear. GLHF
  • Options
    @Shanman,IMO it will be a technical interview and more of "what can you do for us" kinda question. That was how mine went this morning
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    Ok I will prepare the same way I did for the first one. I am so excited because they told me that I would be able to bring equipment home to lab. I know a title means nothing but I would really like to have Network Engineer on my resume.
  • Options
    Ok I will prepare the same way I did for the first one. I am so excited because they told me that I would be able to bring equipment home to lab. I know a title means nothing but I would really like to have Network Engineer on my resume.
    irrespective of what your title says, its your job responsibilities and skills you've developed that will determine how other employers will see you when you apply in future. Best of luckicon_thumright.gif
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on making it to the second round! The most important thing to remember at this point is that they are bringing you back because they see something they are interested in.

Take this as a compliment to your skills and prove to them that you can help them as much as they can help you.

Some things to keep in mind about a technical interview with higher level guys at busy companies (I've been on both ends of this process over the last few years)
    - Like I said second round means they see something in you that they like and you did not shoot yourself in the foot during the first interview, now it's time to close the sale
    - In a tier 2 role they're going to be looking for someone that can do their job without hand holding most likely. If you run in to a question that you really don't know the answer to don't try to tip-toe around an answer. Be honest with them and tell them you're not familiar with the technology but that's what google/studying is for.
    - Be confident in what you know.
    - Be honest with non-tech questions but keep your answers to the point. For example:
    Why did you leave your last job? It may be because you hated the job, the pay, the employer, etc. They don't want to hear this. They want a team player who will stick around and not bail at the first opportunity. So be honest. Tell them that you're looking for a chance to improve your skills in an environment that encourages it and your last employer wasn't doing this.

Good luck and let us know how it goes :). Getting that first networking engineering title is a pretty awesome feeling!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Like others said, be honest and confident. They obviously already like what they have seen in you so far so just don't f it up. :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thursday at 10.. I guess it will be with the same people and some project managers. Not sure who else tho... Any advice on how to handle this one?

I think you have probably ticked the boxes on the technical side. The second will likely be about attitude. When Im hiring I have a base expectancy of a candidate in terms of technical aptitude and experience. Beyond that Im looking for indicators that you operate well, that you are someone I can depend upon to handle things in a reasonable, professional and responsible way.
  • Options
    I was going over the job description again before tomorrow and noticed "commitment based incentives". Is this something that I should be worried about? Any ideas or advice on how to procede with this?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was going over the job description again before tomorrow and noticed "commitment based incentives". Is this something that I should be worried about? Any ideas or advice on how to procede with this?

I think you should relax and stop worrying about things. A top networking professional handles things for the benefit of people who earn much more money than a networker ever will. Be that person. Be cool. Be in charge. Let people know you will handle situations.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    I think you should relax and stop worrying about things. A top networking professional handles things for the benefit of people who earn much more money than a networker ever will. Be that person. Be cool. Be in charge. Let people know you will handle situations.

Good advice and the same advice I'd give to 90% of the people that ask for interview advice. Just relax and be yourself. In the end that's who they are getting anyway no matter how much you try and church yourself up for the interview.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well I had my interview today and it went great! I took everybody's advice and was just myself and confident. There was no technical questions. It was all based on attitude and personality to see if I would be a good fit for their team. Everybody was great and like minded. There were even times when we were all laughing about different things you can see on the job and past experiences.

After the interview I was walked to the waiting room and the guy told me to sit and wait while he went back in the room with everybody. He was gone for 5 or 10 mins and I was thinking I might get an offer but he came back and said that I was under further consideration because they have a couple more candidates they are looking at and he would get back with me. He didn't give me a time frame but I am hoping I will here something next week and we can move on to salary negotiations. Hopefully it all works out. I will keep everybody posted on my progress. *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, I hope you get it!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management