DHCP and assigning address

nycbpnycbp Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I have a practice exam that's been bothering me for a while and can't find the answer. It asks the process of dynamically allocating an address by the DHCP server. The two answers I've narrowed down to are:

a. addresses are leased to hosts, which periodically contact the DHCP server to renew the lease
b. addresses are assigned for a fixed amount of time, at the end of the period, a new request must be made for an address.

I'm leaning towards B since I know that all DHCP addresses expire but the practice exam picked A as the answer. Once a client obtains a DHCP address from a server, does it periodically contact the DHCP server? If so, I can see why A would be the correct answer.

Comments

• pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Yes. Halfway through the lease, the host will attempt to renew its IP. If that fails, it will try again at the next halfway mark. For example, if the lease is 4 days, it will renew at 2. If that fails, it will try to renew at 1 day
  • nycbpnycbp Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much. I understood how the client obtains the address through discovery, offer, request and accept but didn't understand this to this extent.

Again, thank you.