Options

Kindle, nook, iPad or android tablet for WGU?

Hello all!

It has been quite a while since I have posted here. Been extremely busy! I have been accepted into WGU and do not lack much completing a degree.

Due to time constraints I need to be able to study on the go. Which would be best to allow me to study on the move?

Kindle, nook, iPad, android tablet etc?

I'm not sure if the ebooks they use can be imported into a kindle or not.

I already have a MacBook pro, but would like something more portable.

Let me know your thoughts! What has been a life saver for you?
WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i would say a 7in tablet if you plan on doing alot of reading on it, you can install kindle and nook app on a tablet and still read pdfs and load up text websites
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For dedicated reading, I say go with an e-reader. I'm partial to the kindle, I like Amazon's extensive library, I like using the kindle app across many platforms (The nook has this as well), and I enjoy the kindle reader itself. Reading on a tablet can only go so far before it's not pleasant due to eye strain. The other plus for Amazon is that they pretty much offer everything: mp3s, movies, app store, ebooks, electronics, etc.

Regardless of which you choose; nook or kindle, I just think it's better overall to use a dedicated e-reader for books.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I use a Nook Color (rooted, of course, we're all geeks here). Works perfect. I'm looking to replace it with the newer Nook Tablet (dual core CPU, double RAM and storage) for the extra speed. Books are a joy to read on it. I can have my entire IT library with me to access anytime, anywhere.
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Would a kindle suffice or do I need to access web apps and videos? Sounds like an android tablet is what I need. What do you guys think?

Does the kindle suffice enough to study? Or does a majority of study happen on the web?

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    redline5th wrote: »
    Would a kindle suffice or do I need to access web apps and videos? Sounds like an android tablet is what I need. What do you guys think?

Does the kindle suffice enough to study? Or does a majority of study happen on the web?

An Android tablet would do everything-- serve as a reader, let you check websites, view videos.

Any cheap starter tablet should get you going, just bear in mind the cheaper ones will have lower battery life (and occasionally, lower resolution that will annoy on some websites). Think of it this way-- you can buy a better, more kickass tablet as your personal graduation present. :)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options

kindle is ok but some of the stuff youll want to do is on books 24/7 (also able to do on kindle but works better on a tab) and some is docs, pdfs, youtube videos, downloaded videos all of which cant be done on a kindle

you can get the lenovo idea pad a1 for 199 atm with 16 gig (its on sale today)
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Like others have pointed out...the 7" would be better if you'll be taking it out of the house.

Don't be partial to the brand as far as an e-reader goes. You can root them easily and have access the Amazon & B&N books.

Around $200:
    Lenovo Ideapad A1
    Kindle Fire

Around $250:
    Nook Tablet
    Archos G9 (8", more of a square screen than widescreen)

Some things to point out that may be helpful down the road....I'm going by memory here, correct me if I'm wrong:

Not all have GPS or Bluetooth. The Lenovo and Archos do, but the Nook and Fire do not.

-The Lenovo is a single core
    -The Archos benchmarked better than the new galaxy 10.1" tab, take that as you will. Also, the Archos does not have Gorilla glass and does feel kinda cheap (My Boss has brought his in).

Edit: Another thing to look at might be internal memory and the option to expand (SD/Micro SD). The Kindle Fire gives you cloud storage, but you'll need an internet connection.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completely reworded the OP question to suit my needs...for some reason I thought you were looking for something for ebooks specifically (I can't read). For your purposes I would recommend a tablet, I say iPad first and then Android. I actually prefer Android, but so many companies make apps for iPad before they get to Android that it may be better to go with the most supported platform...iOS.

I hope Android tables begin to make a real dent in the market, but for the time being, the iPad seems to get all the nice apps first.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like the new Galaxy 7 plus Samsung tablet, due out november 16. However I dont like that you need a 2 year contract when you purchase it. That is just straight up lamo. I think a 7 inch tablet is the best fit and size. I didnt really like my ipad 1st gen. Bulky, slow, no camera, terrible for web viewing (no flash) and the supposably work around for flash are also lame.

I like the Amazon fire, but it lacks bluetooth and cameras. however the price is very attractive.

Is there anything else around 250 that is similar to the new Galaxy 7 plus?
    Samsung announces the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus | Android Central
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Love the idea of an iPad. However wouldn't the lack of flash kill me? Doesn't WGU require the use of flash? For videos and study materials?

Edit... Keep in mind I want this for WGU... Need this for school. Looks like it's down to an iPad or Tablet. Will lack of flash hurt for WGU?

• Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    I like the new Galaxy 7 plus Samsung tablet, due out november 16. However I dont like that you need a 2 year contract when you purchase it. That is just straight up lamo. I think a 7 inch tablet is the best fit and size. I didnt really like my ipad 1st gen. Bulky, slow, no camera, terrible for web viewing (no flash) and the supposably work around for flash are also lame.

I like the Amazon fire, but it lacks bluetooth and cameras. however the price is very attractive.

Is there anything else around 250 that is similar to the new Galaxy 7 plus?
    Samsung announces the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus | Android Central

Newegg.com - Acer Iconia Tab A100-8GB Tablet NVIDIA Tegra 250 1.00GHz 7" 512MB DDR2 Memory 8GB Flash NVIDIA ULP GeForce

its close to the 250 price but imo i wouldnt pay more than 250 for a 7in tab and that means picking what features i can live with out
  • Options
    im almost done with wgu and havent run into flash being required

how ever the ipad can get bulky when reading and im not sure how it would do on videos, then there is the price

seeing as you already have a laptop the ipad isnt much more portable than what you already have
  • Options
    RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just went to Wally world and bought the following yesterday. Acer Iconia Tab A500-10S16W 10.1-inch Tablet ? Walmart.com So far I am having a blast on it.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Love the idea of an iPad. However wouldn't the lack of flash kill me? Doesn't WGU require the use of flash?
    Flash is slowly dying out. Within a year or two there won't be hardly any flash pages. I know a lot of web coders, they don't use flash anymore.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Flash is slowly dying out. Within a year or two there won't be hardly any flash pages. I know a lot of web coders, they don't use flash anymore.

Although this is the idea, i find it highly false to say in 1 to 2 years it will be phased out. That is like saying IPv4 will be completely replaced by IPv6 within a year or 2. I just dont see the two scenarios happening anytime soon.

Also dont buy the ipad for flash IMO. I have had nothing but terrible web experiences with it.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I am in the same boat. I have access to a Nook and have been using it as much as possible. I looked at the TSV1 book they offer and it is ( as far as I can tell ) not downloadable only access is 24/7. I do have Darril's book on the Nook, iPhone and on my desktop via the Kindle app and that will work for this particular class/cert but if everything is this way I think the tablet will be the way to go.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    KrisA wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. I have access to a Nook and have been using it as much as possible. I looked at the TSV1 book they offer and it is ( as far as I can tell ) not downloadable only access is 24/7. I do have Darril's book on the Nook, iPhone and on my desktop via the Kindle app and that will work for this particular class/cert but if everything is this way I think the tablet will be the way to go.

is your nook rooted?

if so goto

http://mobile.skillport.books24x7.com/

g
    roup code is wgu
  • Options
    I called and spoke with an enrollment person today at WGU.

Sounds as though there isn't really an official answer. He said there is some flash involved as far as the videos and what not, but he did say there was a special app for the iPad that we can use.

So I guess the answer is that it doesn't matter or comes down to preference. If I am going to need to watch flash videos, then I would think that the Android would be a clear winner.

Keep in mind I am buying this purely for WGU and that's pretty much about it. Historically I have always preferred apple. But this does not matter to me as I want this to function the best for WGU.

You guys seem to lean more to the Android side of the fence. I do not care either way. As long as I can excel in my classes. :)

• Options
    is your nook rooted?

if so goto

http://mobile.skillport.books24x7.com/

g
    roup code is wgu

It is not, It is her's for her romantic novels. I able to use it when I want, and I think at this point I have more books on it than she does. I will look into rooting it, with permission of course.
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Although this is the idea, i find it highly false to say in 1 to 2 years it will be phased out. That is like saying IPv4 will be completely replaced by IPv6 within a year or 2. I just dont see the two scenarios happening anytime soon.

Apples and oranges comparison. Changing over to a new video codec is pretty much along the lines of install a plugin. Changing out the core addressing structure of the internet backbone and all of the applications that depend on it, much more difficult prospect. Then there's the simple fact that with the ip6 changeover, there's presently no business demand that's driving the changeover. In terms of video codecs, you could say that there's a driving market force, and that market force is Apple. With the number of iOS devices that have already been sold, and will be sold in the coming years, content providers that rely solely on Flash to deliver their product are being absolutely dumb if they don't rethink their strategy. Depending solely on flash means choosing to miss out on a very large portion of the market.

So unless Apple decides to change their mind and start supporting flash, or unless apple all of a sudden becomes irrelevant, I think Flash is on it's last legs.
  • Options
    So unless Apple decides to change their mind and start supporting flash

Wasn't Jobs the one behind not wanting to allow flash support?

In reality I don't see why Apple has an issue with Flash. I am sure there are articles out there on the subject, but Adobe and Apple have become household names. It just seems logical for both parties to be on board to appeal to even MORE masses.
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    Apples and oranges comparison. Changing over to a new video codec is pretty much along the lines of install a plugin. Changing out the core addressing structure of the internet backbone and all of the applications that depend on it, much more difficult prospect. Then there's the simple fact that with the ip6 changeover, there's presently no business demand that's driving the changeover. In terms of video codecs, you could say that there's a driving market force, and that market force is Apple. With the number of iOS devices that have already been sold, and will be sold in the coming years, content providers that rely solely on Flash to deliver their product are being absolutely dumb if they don't rethink their strategy. Depending solely on flash means choosing to miss out on a very large portion of the market.

So unless Apple decides to change their mind and start supporting flash, or unless apple all of a sudden becomes irrelevant, I think Flash is on it's last legs.

Thanks for stating what i already mentioned. Flash is dying out but i am willing to bet you by the time iphone 5 and ipad 3 products are on the shelves the internet will still be 80% flash based. That is roughly 1-2 years from now...
  • Options
    With the rise of HTML5, I would expect to see a decline of flash. I hate flash. But that's another conversation.

Does anyone know if WGU uses flash for their activities? If they do I need to get an android tablet.

• Options
    Thanks for stating what i already mentioned. Flash is dying out but i am willing to bet you by the time iphone 5 and ipad 3 products are on the shelves the internet will still be 80% flash based. That is roughly 1-2 years from now...

I'd take that bet. I think flash's demise will be much more rapid than that.

I've been living without flash on my linux workstations for awhile now, and I'm starting to see more and more sites fall back to displaying video content in HTML5 if flash isn't available.

And no, I didn't state what you already mentioned. You tried to compare the replacement of flash to that of the replacement of ipv4, which is ludicrous. The point you were trying to make is that you think flash will be a long time dying off. I disagree wholeheartedly. I think we're nearing a tipping point, and once it tips the other way, flash will go away very, very quickly.
  • Options
    KrisA wrote: »
    Wasn't Jobs the one behind not wanting to allow flash support?

In reality I don't see why Apple has an issue with Flash. I am sure there are articles out there on the subject, but Adobe and Apple have become household names. It just seems logical for both parties to be on board to appeal to even MORE masses.

I don't know for sure whether or not Jobs was the one behind it, but I'm sure he'll get blamed.

And I agree 100% with the decision for Apple not to support flash. It's becoming legacy very quickly, it's riddled with security bugs, and it's a proprietary format owned by a competing vendor. Remember, Apple sells software too, and some of those products are in direct competition with Adobe. You have to have a very good reason for supporting your competitors platform. When you have the market penetration that Apple does, it's smart to take the less encumbered option if one is available.
  • Options
    And no, I didn't state what you already mentioned. You tried to compare the replacement of flash to that of the replacement of ipv4, which is ludicrous. The point you were trying to make is that you think flash will be a long time dying off. I disagree wholeheartedly. I think we're nearing a tipping point, and once it tips the other way, flash will go away very, very quickly.

Just because you disagree doesnt mean my statement is ludicrous. You have nothing to back up your statements that Flash is dying at the rate you claim for it to be. Just because there are utilities to foresee the process just like there is for IPv6, doesnt mean it will die off at what you are claiming it to be. Like i said before it is dying, but it will be slowly. The comparison of IPv6 i made, in no way meant that it would be 100% identical to the same process, speed, and rate. Come on man......

It will be slow because Android devices outsell Apple products, you still have a lot of PC's including Apple computers that support Flash as well.

http://www.iwindroid.com/other/android-surpasses-the-apple-with-a-21-ratio/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20125189-37/android-overtakes-ios-in-mobile-app-downloads/

a
    nd i support HTML5 over flash....
  • Options
    Just because you disagree doesnt mean my statement is ludicrous.

Your statment that flash isnt dying all that fast is not ludicrous. That's your opinion, based on your exposure, and your experience, and that's perfectly fair.

Your likening the adoption rate of an alternative to flash to that of the adoption rate of ipv6 in comparison to ipv4 is quite ludicrous, if you understand what is involved in both transitions. The issues involved in each transition are nowhere near similar, which for most people, I could forgive, but for a guy sporting Cisco certs and Network Engineer in his sig... you should know better.
    You have nothing to back up your statements that Flash is dying at the rate you claim for it to be. Just because there are utilities to foresee the process just like there is for IPv6, doesnt mean it will die off at what you are claiming it to be. Like i said before it is dying, but it will be slowly. The comparison of IPv6 i made, in no way meant that it would be 100% identical to the same process, speed, and rate. Come on man......

It will be slow because Android devices outsell Apple products, you still have a lot of PC's including Apple computers that support Flash as well.

Oh, I'm not saying that the droid market presence is insignificant. Droid is the cheaper option, so yeah, chances are pretty big it's going to be more prolific. I'll bet if you looked, you'd find out that Honda sells more Civics than Porsche does of it's entire line. The fact that the iPhone was, until recently, restricted to one carrier also makes a difference.

However, you're overlooking the tablet market too, since the iPhone and iPad are essentially the same device, from an OS standpoint, and the last sales figures I saw showed the ipad beating the snot out of competing Android tablets. But that's largely irrelevant, my point is that Apple has *significant* market penetration. This isn't like in the desktop/laptop realm where Apple is relevant, but not exactly a driving force. When it comes to the modern mobile platform, Apple is a pioneer, and what they decide to do carries weight. There's a reason why folks are still playing catch up instead of driving their own innovation (We'll see how long it takes for the droid equivalent of Siri to show up, rather than doing something that Apple isn't. I'm aware that there are already projects underway, but none of them come close to Siri yet)

With support for HTML5 already built into all of the major browsers, the pieces are already in place to give Flash a very quick death, and I firmly believe that content providers making sure they can reach the sizeable audience of iOS device owners is going to be that driving force (because people who buy Apple products have, like, money and stuff). It's not going to happen overnight, but I'd be very surprised if 2 years from now Flash has anywhere near as much use as it does right now.

You have to understand that I used to work for a company that had some major content providers as their customers. And there was an industry wide push to make sure their websites could support iphones, and later, ipads. This push began before the major browsers had HTML5 support, so they were forced to provide support for both, flash, and mp4. As the browsers began to support it, Flash support became viewed as legacy, something they supported for folks who hadn't or wouldn't upgrade their browsers to a more modern version.

Eventually those legacy folks are going to attrition out, as they either reinstall their boxen, or upgrade to a modern OS, or what have you. And that's when you're going to see the balance tip out of Flash's favor, and it's decline will be very, very rapid.

The effort to get everyone converted to ipv6 is already a decade old, and the adoption rate is pathetic. A decade from now, Flash as we know it currently will be long dead.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kindle is ok but some of the stuff youll want to do is on books 24/7 (also able to do on kindle but works better on a tab) and some is docs, pdfs, youtube videos, downloaded videos all of which cant be done on a kindle...

Actually, the new line of Kindles (to be released later this month, but particularly the 'Fire') should be able to do most, if not all, the things mentioned. I've been keeping an eye on these myself: New Kindle Line I'm looking at the 'Touch' model, as I'm looking for just an e-reader.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote: »
    Actually, the new line of Kindles (to be released later this month, but particularly the 'Fire') should be able to do most, if not all, the things mentioned. I've been keeping an eye on these myself: New Kindle Line I'm looking at the 'Touch' model, as I'm looking for just an e-reader.

My girlfriend wants an ereader, but can't afford one, so I'm going to get her one for christmas. While I would personally love to get her an ipad, cost is a factor. I was planning on getting her a Nook Color, but once the Fire and the Nook tablet is out, I'll be looking at both of them to decide which one to get her (and it may simply come down to whichever one I can actually get my hands on in time for the holidays, since Amazon and Barnes and Noble have both traditionally have supply problems when they release a new product)
  • Options
    Your statment that flash isnt dying all that fast is not ludicrous. That's your opinion, based on your exposure, and your experience, and that's perfectly fair.

Your likening the adoption rate of an alternative to flash to that of the adoption rate of ipv6 in comparison to ipv4 is quite ludicrous, if you understand what is involved in both transitions. The issues involved in each transition are nowhere near similar, which for most people, I could forgive, but for a guy sporting Cisco certs and Network Engineer in his sig... you should know better.

Oh, I'm not saying that the droid market presence is insignificant. Droid is the cheaper option, so yeah, chances are pretty big it's going to be more prolific. I'll bet if you looked, you'd find out that Honda sells more Civics than Porsche does of it's entire line. The fact that the iPhone was, until recently, restricted to one carrier also makes a difference.

However, you're overlooking the tablet market too, since the iPhone and iPad are essentially the same device, from an OS standpoint, and the last sales figures I saw showed the ipad beating the snot out of competing Android tablets. But that's largely irrelevant, my point is that Apple has *significant* market penetration. This isn't like in the desktop/laptop realm where Apple is relevant, but not exactly a driving force. When it comes to the modern mobile platform, Apple is a pioneer, and what they decide to do carries weight. There's a reason why folks are still playing catch up instead of driving their own innovation (We'll see how long it takes for the droid equivalent of Siri to show up, rather than doing something that Apple isn't. I'm aware that there are already projects underway, but none of them come close to Siri yet)

With support for HTML5 already built into all of the major browsers, the pieces are already in place to give Flash a very quick death, and I firmly believe that content providers making sure they can reach the sizeable audience of iOS device owners is going to be that driving force (because people who buy Apple products have, like, money and stuff). It's not going to happen overnight, but I'd be very surprised if 2 years from now Flash has anywhere near as much use as it does right now.

You have to understand that I used to work for a company that had some major content providers as their customers. And there was an industry wide push to make sure their websites could support iphones, and later, ipads. This push began before the major browsers had HTML5 support, so they were forced to provide support for both, flash, and mp4. As the browsers began to support it, Flash support became viewed as legacy, something they supported for folks who hadn't or wouldn't upgrade their browsers to a more modern version.

Eventually those legacy folks are going to attrition out, as they either reinstall their boxen, or upgrade to a modern OS, or what have you. And that's when you're going to see the balance tip out of Flash's favor, and it's decline will be very, very rapid.

The effort to get everyone converted to ipv6 is already a decade old, and the adoption rate is pathetic. A decade from now, Flash as we know it currently will be long dead.

hahaha ok guy i still read nothing but your fact less meaningless opinions. As well as your fact less meaningless opinions attacking my certs and experience. You typed up 8 paragraphs of fact less opinions and never came to the point that i did not necessarily mean IPv4 and Flash phasing out is 100% identical. You are very narrow minded, i was only using it as theory/concept of how technology is phased out over time and not over several months or a year as you are claiming it will be. Geez i am suprised you didnt type all the steps and IEEE documents on how to transition from IPv4 to IPv6.....take a chill pill kid, move on. I am not going to ruin this thread anymore, we both did enough.

To the original poster, buy an Android Tablet, by the time you finish school , 4 years from now, Flash will still be heavily used on the internet. No joke.