Options

Kindle, nook, iPad or android tablet for WGU?

2»

Comments

• Options
    crazychrono100crazychrono100 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mobile flash is dead. Adobe just announce they are ending mobile flash development. I guess flash is going to be phased out on mobile devices sooner rather later.

Forsaken you work for Adobe or something...?
    Adobe abandons mobile Flash development, report says - CNN.com

As far as getting a tablet go, I think the Kindle Fire is going to be a huge success. The 7 inch IPS screen is the perfect size to do a bunch of reading on, it's not too big so it is not too strenuous to hold for long period of time. The pricing is perfect for me at $200. That is a practical price considering all I will be doing on it is just media consumption. The only downside is that it looks like you won't have access to the full Android apps and will need to go thru Amazon own appstore. So it's kind of like Apple where they will screen apps and only allow the ones they approve to be place in the store. You also can't side-load apps on the Fire because there is no SD slot!? I mean how hard is it to make a SD slot? Other than that I really like the Fire especially since I have Amazon Prime I get a bunch of extra goodies.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep this is the start of the death of flash. It is surely to die, the debate here is about the time frame lol

HTML5 is superior to Flash, i cant wait for the day Flash will no longer be seen on the internet. i find it funny this announcement pops up after Forsaken and I's little debate lol

on another note, I fell in love with this device! Quad Core Tegra 3 Nvidia

http://gizmodo.com/5857759/meet-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-the-worlds-first-supercomputer-tablet
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get a transformer prime or transformer (if they do a price drop).
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Mobile flash is dead. Adobe just announce they are ending mobile flash development. I guess flash is going to be phased out on mobile devices sooner rather later.

Forsaken you work for Adobe or something...?
    Adobe abandons mobile Flash development, report says - CNN.com

Nope, I work for Dell. I just happen to be an intelligent consumer who pays attention to market trends and looks at things without bias. The death of flash began about six months after the original iPhone came out. When I saw some very big names in **** start becoming very concerned with delivery to mobile platforms, it got my attention, and I saw more and more content providers becoming concerned with the same thing.

See the thing is, you have to go to the lowest common denominator - the user. The user doesn't give a damn whether they're using flash, xvid, h264, or whatever. They just want to click or tap a funny cat video and make it play. When it doesn't play, they get pissed off. Techy people blame the platform, because we think the manufacturer is evil for not supporting the formats we want them to. The user blames the content provider for their stuff not working on the device they bought. For example, I'm very unhappy with various MMO vendors for not providing OS X clients for their games, I'm certainly not mad at Apple - the content provider created the content, and they don't put out a version that I can use without a whole bunch of effort, so they must not want my money.

As I mentioned, Apple is a 500lb gorilla in the mobile market. You *cannot* ignore what they do if you want to make money off of their customers. Once you realize that, you come to the realization that if you want to keep your flash content, and still reach Apple customers, all of a sudden, you're maintaining two versions. You've got more overhead and more headache. Now, how about the other popular platform - it supports the same formats that Apple does, they just happen to support a few more as well. Well if I'm a content provider, it's common sense (and good business sense) to make one version of the content that can reach as many people as possible. We've seen this war played out over and over again. Beta vs. VHS, the DVD format wars, et al, and the end result is always the same - one format wins, it's competitors die, until the evolution of the technology does the same thing to the current popular victor.
    As far as getting a tablet go, I think the Kindle Fire is going to be a huge success. The 7 inch IPS screen is the perfect size to do a bunch of reading on, it's not too big so it is not too strenuous to hold for long period of time. The pricing is perfect for me at $200. That is a practical price considering all I will be doing on it is just media consumption. The only downside is that it looks like you won't have access to the full Android apps and will need to go thru Amazon own appstore. So it's kind of like Apple where they will screen apps and only allow the ones they approve to be place in the store. You also can't side-load apps on the Fire because there is no SD slot!? I mean how hard is it to make a SD slot? Other than that I really like the Fire especially since I have Amazon Prime I get a bunch of extra goodies.

I'd agree. I'm an ipad owner and user, but it wasn't my first choice. I tried a nook first, but could reliably crash it with pdf's. Then I tried a kindle DX, and it mangled diagrams in pdfs. So I got an ipad. If the nook tablet and kindle fire hold up to their promise, and had they been available when I was in the market for an ereader, I would likely have bought one of them.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get a transformer prime or transformer (if they do a price drop).

Yep these two items are awesome!

The reality is you should buy a device that supports Flash while flash is still being used. Adobe is still pushing out one last development of Flash Mobile next year. Android devices will continue to support it as well, so might as well buy a device that will suit you for the next 2-3 years, instead of waiting 2-4 years from now for the internet to adapt to you. That would be the smarter way to look at this. I am going to sell my ipad because i am still waiting for flash to die out , and my web experiences are terrible, i cannot wait another 2-4 years for flash to be completely dead LOL

2 -4 years from now there will be better and cheaper tablets you will want to buy. End of story
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Yep these two items are awesome!

The reality is you should buy a device that supports Flash while flash is still being used. Adobe is still pushing out one last development of Flash Mobile next year. Android devices will continue to support it as well, so might as well buy a device that will suit you for the next 2-3 years, instead of waiting 2-4 years from now for the internet to adapt to you. That would be the smarter way to look at this. I am going to sell my ipad because i am still waiting for flash to die out , and my web experiences are terrible, i cannot wait another 2-4 years for flash to be completely dead LOL

2 -4 years from now there will be better and cheaper tablets you will want to buy. End of story

Yeah, in the short term, the OP will be fine with a device that supports flash. Even after the format is considered long dead, there will still be holdouts, and it wouldn't surprise me to find some academic institutions are among them. Some schools are getting with tech and providing their course content via tablets, others are still using computers older than teenagers. Hell, our local DMV still uses OS/2 Warp 4 on their computers.
  • Options
    Hrm, interesting, it looks like Microsoft is also considering ending support for Silverlight. The industry is finally waking up to the fact that proprietary formats are bad for business.
  • Options
    esswokesswok Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought a android tablet 10.2 froyo,<OS>, flytouch III, from Hong Kong, it has an internal 16 gig hd/ (i had the seller install the 16 gig it cost 178.00 to the door. ($159.00 if you buy the 4 gig hd version).
    I have used it only for a month now, but very part time because I was moving and was very busy.The learning curve was not long, I can read any of my cisco pres .pdf's, plus any other ebook. It plays movies in 1080 HD, and GPS copilot 8 works great. It does run many android phone apps but not all.
    It will play CBT Nuggets but without video, I have not had time to make this work yet. I have not given myself admin privliges sofar "rooted", because I want to learn all their is at the user end first.
    Mine has the 6800mhz battery and does last quite a long time unless you are using GPS. Gps suck the battery fast.

for a multi use unit I like it very much, but i feel that the dedicated gps is all around faster.
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'll probably end up with an Android tablet w/ flash support.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson