In an interesting twist of fate....

It appears I'll be in the job market again long before I expected to be. Long story short, met a girl, need to relocate, current job doesn't have local offices, and isn't willing to let me work as a remote employee.

So if anyone knows of any job openings in the Greenville, SC area, or that is open to telecommunication for a guy who's pretty good with networks and unix boxes, I'd appreciate a heads up. I'm actively working all my resources to see if I can shake something loose, but I figure it never hurts to ask!

If not, that's cool too. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this!

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Aw man, don't move there! The IT/Network market there is terrible. I lived there for a couple years and I'd never go back. As for jobs, check out Windstream or BMW. If you're interested in consulting, let me know and I'll see if we're hiring out of those offices.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if you were over this way I might be able to help you with a Network Engineer slot but I gots no pull in SC icon_sad.gif

Good luck man...you still working on CCIE?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    She must be amazing for you to move to that crap hole :)

Charlotte is only 1.5 hours from Greenville, if you could find a place halfway between, you could maybe find something in Charlotte and commute... I would think a CCNP in Charlotte should be able to get find a service provider to give them some work.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Aw man, don't move there! The IT/Network market there is terrible. I lived there for a couple years and I'd never go back. As for jobs, check out Windstream or BMW. If you're interested in consulting, let me know and I'll see if we're hiring out of those offices.

Yeah, I'm finding that there's not a whole lot available, which is why I'm figuring I'm going to end up with a telecommute. I've already checked out Windstream, and right now, they don't have anything that's a fit for me since my voice experience is essentially nil. I've got a few local contacts looking into BMW for me.

Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice about the region. She works for one of the nuke plants up there, and while it might be possible for her to relocate to somewhere more convenient for me, the custody issues with her ex-husband means that falls to me to relocate. I wouldn't have a problem going the consulting route, as that's my eventual endgame anyway.
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Well if you were over this way I might be able to help you with a Network Engineer slot but I gots no pull in SC icon_sad.gif

Good luck man...you still working on CCIE?

Yup, still deep into lab prep, that's the main reason I've been scarce the last few months. Still on track to attempt the lab sometime between April and July next year
    blargoe wrote: »
    She must be amazing for you to move to that crap hole :)

Charlotte is only 1.5 hours from Greenville, if you could find a place halfway between, you could maybe find something in Charlotte and commute... I would think a CCNP in Charlotte should be able to get find a service provider to give them some work.

Yeah, she is pretty amazing. Charlotte's about the same distance as it is to Atlanta, so if I'm going to have a long commute, then I'd be better off just staying where I'm at.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Yeah, I'm finding that there's not a whole lot available, which is why I'm figuring I'm going to end up with a telecommute. I've already checked out Windstream, and right now, they don't have anything that's a fit for me since my voice experience is essentially nil. I've got a few local contacts looking into BMW for me.

Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice about the region. She works for one of the nuke plants up there, and while it might be possible for her to relocate to somewhere more convenient for me, the custody issues with her ex-husband means that falls to me to relocate. I wouldn't have a problem going the consulting route, as that's my eventual endgame anyway.

I checked internally, and I don't see anything posted in Greenville. I'll check with our HR chick tomorrow.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck to you on finding something that will work. I'm sure with your skills, you'll find something.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I was lucky my girl decided to follow me. Best of luck to you.
  • wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    I just started a new gig, and my manager works out of Greenville (we have a data center there I believe). I don't think they are hiring until after the first of the year but I know they are looking for more engineers. Could be worth it if you can wait.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you looked at Google? I know they have a data center in that area....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It appears ... need to relocate... in the Greenville, SC area

Well, at least you'd be true to your screen name if you left the state.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    the custody issues with her ex-husband

I advise against getting involved in this situation.

Based on two things:
    1. Religious beliefs
    2. I did this same thing (moved for a woman who had an ex-husband and was undergoing custody battles) ... and it was horrible to deal with. My case was even worse, as the ex-husband wasn't even properly "ex" yet ... they weren't even yet divorced, just long time separated! I did eventually get out of this situation, but not before I was broken, both mentally and financially. It wasn't a quick "snap" of being broken, it was like a slow tightening of the torture rack until I became disjointed, over the course of four years.

I could have come on the "high horse" route and just said because of number one, but it would have been extremely dishonest of me, as the truth is that I made the mistake of number two, being willfully conceited all the while, and ultimately paying the price for it.

And, I see high divorce rates in IT. I've a past boss on his third wife. I have a coworker on his third wife. Half of my current coworkers are on their second marriages. But, that's a whole nother issue, and the point of this thread is moving, and helping you find a job in Greenville, SC or a telecommute.

I would be remiss if I didn't tell you about my own experience, and try to sound a warning.

But, I'm probably sounding like rambling as I'm prone to at this point.

But, you seem like an intelligent person. Just be sure to be thinking with the right head, logically, and long term, and please don't take this advice lightly.

I'm actually wondering right now if I would have reconsidered this idea at the time if I had told anyone else about it, and they had disagreed with me. Thinking back, I feel that I was so sure of myself and my ideas and my plans, that it would not have mattered.

Hope this perspective helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Good luck to you on finding something that will work. I'm sure with your skills, you'll find something.

My thoughts exactly
    instant000 wrote: »
    I advise against getting involved in this situation.

Based on two things:
    1. Religious beliefs
    2. I did this same thing (moved for a woman who had an ex-husband and was undergoing custody battles) ... and it was horrible to deal with. My case was even worse, as the ex-husband wasn't even properly "ex" yet ... they weren't even yet divorced, just long time separated! I did eventually get out of this situation, but not before I was broken, both mentally and financially. It wasn't a quick "snap" of being broken, it was like a slow tightening of the torture rack until I became disjointed, over the course of four years.

Ok, I may have given the wrong impression. There is no current custody battle, that was settled long ago. She and her ex are on amicable turns, and he and I get along just fine. He's engaged again, so there's no latent issue of him wanting to get back with her or anything like that. They've been divorced for six years, so all the short term BS was long ago settled.

However, he would object, and I feel rightly so, to the decision to up and move the kids out of state so that he couldn't reasonably get his visitation. I have no doubt that if she forced the issue, she could get the state to let her take the kids wherever she pleased, but that will turn a relatively comfortable situation into a combative one, and we all feel that ultimately, it would be the kids that suffer, and that's not fair to them.

So what it ends up boiling down to is that is that the burden falls on me. This is not a spur of the moment decision, I will not be moving in with them if I relocate to the area, as I believe that would not be proper until wedding vows are exchanged, and we're not quite at that point yet. I'm also not going to leap at the first offer to come along, it'll have to be something that's in line with my career goals, and the company and I would have to be a good fit. Otherwise I might as well just move and get a job at the local gas station :)

Right now, I'm just shaking the trees to see what options, if any, I have. I do appreciate you sharing your the benefit of your experience, and I assure you, it's not something I take lightly, and I know better than to make major life decisions without some serious time spent in reflection, and checking my premises with the folks that are close to me - they have *no* problem telling me that I'm being a twit. So far, everyone seems to think we're a good fit. She'll be meeting my parents for the first time on Thursday, and that'll be telling, as my parents know me quite well and have no problems checking me down when I'm making bad decisions.
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    I dont know if you're still looking or if you're interested in any areas other than SC but there are some decent opportunities in NC. Pretty much across the state depending on what you're looking for.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Good on ya, and good luck.

Not easy getting involved with someone that already has kids. Even though I had full custody of my son after my divorce, I couldn't bring myself to get involved with any woman who had kids, let alone move to another state for one. Luckily I found a great one without any kids of her own that didn't mind me already having one.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That sucks but I understand custody issues, its hard to agree to seeing your kids move to another state. I used to live in Aiken, SC it was not that bad but I came from being stationed in California so SC was kind of a hell hole for me.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Forsaken,

I just want to let you know that you're not the only one in this situation. I'm currently in the Army and my current wife has the same issues. This causes a lot of issues for us as I can't rightly pick where I would like to be. This puts me in a bind for trying to get positions in the US that she can be in, which is, Arizona only. I'm currently pulling all of my resources for being a recruiter in the phoenix area or working at NETCOM in Huachuca.

I understand your struggle. Hope something comes free for you.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It appears I'll be in the job market again long before I expected to be. Long story short, met a girl, need to relocate, current job doesn't have local offices, and isn't willing to let me work as a remote employee.

So if anyone knows of any job openings in the Greenville, SC area, or that is open to telecommunication for a guy who's pretty good with networks and unix boxes, I'd appreciate a heads up. I'm actively working all my resources to see if I can shake something loose, but I figure it never hurts to ask!

If not, that's cool too. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this!

I wish you luck. I think you are very employable but will offer the following advice..

Go contracting for a while. Good experience and money coming in without having to commit to fulltime employment to a company. Dont be adverse to trying this, its a decent paycheck. You have the advantage when the person with a lobotomy asks you if you are ready to go permanent when you finally *do* find the permanent job in the area you want. Basically you moved to the area for personal reasons, needed a wage and wanted to have a good look around for the right permanent job. If the person interviewing you continues to be an idiot dont work for that company. In terms of going permanent, remember you are fairly established in the job you already have and somewhat comfortable. That will not be the case starting over.

When you take a permanent job at a senior level in a new firm you are a complete unknown and will have to work *very* hard to establish the working relationships you need there, which you already have in your current job, so that you can prosper in the new job. That aspect of settling in at a senior level is harder than the technical. Also be aware that the job you land may require you to work alongside someone who wanted it and got passed over for you. You will be vulnerable for 12 months while opinions are made about you by everyone who reports to you, who you report to, and who has expectations of you. Expect to have to work hard on the people stuff. You have no friends in a new job and will not be the hammer of doom that you are in the one you already have. It isn't that easy in a new place.

So..dont rush to go permanent! Go contracting for a while, earn more money, get experience and apply for a permanent job at the right level when you are good and ready and have found the right opening in this unfamiliar area of the country. If you land a senior role in a new firm, expect to be working your bollocks off for 12 months minimum to get on top of things not only in terms of technology, but learning company expectations, process, how to handle all the new people and your boss, identifying the important people and winning them over, gaining allies and destroying your enemies. I did and it's exhausting! But after that the results pour in and you are golden.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    I wish you luck. I think you are very employable but will offer the following advice..

Go contracting for a while. Good experience and money coming in without having to commit to fulltime employment to a company. Dont be adverse to trying this, its a decent paycheck. You have the advantage when the person with a lobotomy asks you if you are ready to go permanent when you finally *do* find the permanent job in the area you want. Basically you moved to the area for personal reasons, needed a wage and wanted to have a good look around for the right permanent job. If the person interviewing you continues to be an idiot dont work for that company. In terms of going permanent, remember you are fairly established in the job you already have and somewhat comfortable. That will not be the case starting over.

When you take a permanent job at a senior level in a new firm you are a complete unknown and will have to work *very* hard to establish the working relationships you need there, which you already have in your current job, so that you can prosper in the new job. That aspect of settling in at a senior level is harder than the technical. Also be aware that the job you land may require you to work alongside someone who wanted it and got passed over for you. You will be vulnerable for 12 months while opinions are made about you by everyone who reports to you, who you report to, and who has expectations of you. Expect to have to work hard on the people stuff. You have no friends in a new job and will not be the hammer of doom that you are in the one you already have. It isn't that easy in a new place.

So..dont rush to go permanent! Go contracting for a while, earn more money, get experience and apply for a permanent job at the right level when you are good and ready and have found the right opening in this unfamiliar area of the country. If you land a senior role in a new firm, expect to be working your bollocks off for 12 months minimum to get on top of things not only in terms of technology, but learning company expectations, process, how to handle all the new people and your boss, identifying the important people and winning them over, gaining allies and destroying your enemies. I did and it's exhausting! But after that the results pour in and you are golden.

i agree with turg, i would go contracting, you dont know whats around the corner. You may not settle there so at least it will give you that flexibility whilst you find your feet.

I wish the best of luck and hope it works out for you man
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote: »
    i agree with turg, i would go contracting, you dont know whats around the corner. You may not settle there so at least it will give you that flexibility whilst you find your feet.

I wish the best of luck and hope it works out for you man

I think so. Hopefully the advice was of some help to the OP.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    If you're gonna move near Charlotte, I could recommend you to PAETEC (Windstream)

Honestly, Consulting/contracting is the way I'd prefer to go, I figured out years ago that I'm not going to be happy working for anyone but myself (and Alan Weiss's wonderful books helped confirm that!). The end game is my own consulting gig, but I don't feel quite ready to take that step just yet, I need a few more pieces in place before I feel I'm ready to step out on my own.

That being said, I'm certainly not adverse to taking a contracting job either. I've done it before, and I'm sure I will again. So yeah, the right contracting offer that pays well enough to support a move for, say, six months, I'd be absolutely fine with Anything shorter, and I have to look at it much more carefully.
    drkat wrote: »
    If you're gonna move near Charlotte, I could recommend you to PAETEC (Windstream)

Hrm, I'd already applied to Nuvox, which is Windstream as well (or maybe I have that backwards), and they told me thanks but no thanks, lack of voice experience.

The problem with Charlotte is that it's about a 2 hour drive from there, which is the same as Atlanta.
    Honestly, Consulting/contracting is the way I'd prefer to go, I figured out years ago that I'm not going to be happy working for anyone but myself (and Alan Weiss's wonderful books helped confirm that!). The end game is my own consulting gig, but I don't feel quite ready to take that step just yet, I need a few more pieces in place before I feel I'm ready to step out on my own.

That being said, I'm certainly not adverse to taking a contracting job either. I've done it before, and I'm sure I will again. So yeah, the right contracting offer that pays well enough to support a move for, say, six months, I'd be absolutely fine with Anything shorter, and I have to look at it much more carefully.

In the UK when you go contracting you form your own company and you are on your own. I did it for about 7 years when I left permanent employment and really enjoyed it learning a great deal. I strongly urge you to give it a whirl. Certainly beneficial for me as a professional and when I returned to the permanent workplace I landed a great role!
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    In the UK when you go contracting you form your own company and you are on your own. I did it for about 7 years when I left permanent employment and really enjoyed it learning a great deal. I strongly urge you to give it a whirl. Certainly beneficial for me as a professional and when I returned to the permanent workplace I landed a great role!

In the US, they do a few different ways to do it.

W-2, where you're sort of like an employee for the duration of the contact, the company you're contracting with takes care of the required taxes and everything.

1099, which is a completely independent contractor, you have to take care of paying all the appropriate taxes and everything on your own.

Then there is "Corp-to-Corp" or "B2B" (Business to Business). This is probably the hardest to do. You have to register a Business, which can be as a Corporation, or Limited Liability Company. It varies by state and there are other options. This cost varies by state too, and there's a bit of paperwork to fill out. Then you have to get an Employer Identification Number, which is sort of like a Social Security Number, but for Businesses. There's a lot more too it, but you can protect yourself a little better and land bigger contracts doing it this way.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    sent you a pm

it may not be the best fit for you but it might work
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Yeah, you're not required to form your own company here, you either get a 1099 form from the folks who contracted you to do the work, or if they don't send you one, you have to file as self employed on your taxes (usually a Schedule C, as a sole proprietorship).

Forming an S-Corp or LLC just gives you some protection of personal assets by creating a corporate veil, whereas a contractor could be sued for personal assets.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Hrm, I'd already applied to Nuvox, which is Windstream as well (or maybe I have that backwards), and they told me thanks but no thanks, lack of voice experience.

The problem with Charlotte is that it's about a 2 hour drive from there, which is the same as Atlanta.

Yeah sorry - PAETEC was just acquired by Windstream as of 12/2011 (next week) - the Charlotte NOC is formerly USLEC and will take someone with experience obviously you have a CCIP so that's good. The voice stuff they'd train you on.

It is however 2 hours... wish I knew of something closer for your bud.