Why my next phone will probably be an Iphone

2»

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    erpadmin wrote: »
    (sigh...) She was lied to. If the device is 4G capable and you're in a 4G area, you'd have gotten 4G.

At worst, it would have taken a simple phone call and had the switch straightened out there. But that scenario is precisely what I seek to avoid.

I wanted the Bionic, but it came out well after the death of the unlimited plan. I'm happy with my Droid Charge though, and will be giving that phone to my wife when I get hot-new-phone-that's-not-an-iPhone after my plan is done. She's not into technology like I am, and she uses the tablet more than the phone in anycase (though her phone was rooted in case she needs wifi. :) )

I figured as much. Although, I don't think changing her plan was something that she was pay attention to. Like your wife, mine is only remotely interested in technology. As long as the technology works and her in house IT (me) can fix it, the rest is irrelevant.

For me, I like the Iphone4 well enough, the kid likes it and actually learns from it, so getting some thing like a new Iphone or the "hot-new-phone-that's-not-an-iPhone" will come much later. Wait, I'm lying. :) Iphone 5? samsung galaxy s3?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I've been thinking of going from my Droid3 to iPhone5 next summer. Was never attracted to the whole "omgz i am cool cuz I rooted my phone" bandwagon. My wife having one would now be useful because of the iMessage add on. Since work pays for my phone, I could finally freely send pictures without incurring a charge. Also the cameras on iPhones seem to be the only ones in existence that are INSTANT when you click. Seriously, why does it need to take 4 seconds for my phone to take a picture? Ever try that with children? It's stupid as hell. My Blackberry Bold did that too.

The only thing I am clinging to is the physical keyboard. If Apple had an iPhone with one, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Android 4.0 fixed the shutter speed. It's about as instant as you can get now. Like, I have ruined more pictures than I have saved because I got used to pushing the button way before I was ready to actually take the picture. It's stupid fast now.
    :study:
    How many people really use more than 1-2GB anyway? I doubt many.

I'm over 2GB this month already and I still have over half of the billing cycle left to go.
  • crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a phone tech for a major wireless carrier. I see Android phones every single day. I know Android pretty well. If you are at least a little tech savvy, you can probably make an good Android phone work well to great for you. There are a lot crap phones out there though unfortunately. That said, I personally find iOS to be FAR superior.

Multitasking on Android, even still in ICS, sucks. Give devs an inch and they'll take a mile. I'd rather the phone enforce sensible resource utilization limits than trust the developer to. I'd honestly rather not have to manage the running processes on my phone. I have more important things to worry about already.

No one wants to develop really cool android apps because there's no market for paid apps on Android when compared with the iPhone. 95% of the people with android phones I ask tell me they have never bought an application. Most paid apps in the Market get less than 100 downloads. This continuously boggles my mind. Your only hope as an Android developer is to have a free app with ad impressions.

Android comes with great freedom. No doubt about it. But it's a wild west kind of freedom where you have to fend for yourself. If you're okay with that, fine. Me, I'll stick to my nicely appointed, easy, walled garden (which I break out of from time to time icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif).
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Oh and Stevelord, it is very easy to go over 2GB legitimately. See above.

Indeed, but I am interested in actual statistics. Not a guide on how to. ;)

Apps in both markets are 90% buggy crap. Having experience in iOS and Android, I can say I barely use any of the ones that I have ever downloaded.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    Indeed, but I am interested in actual statistics. Not a guide on how to. ;)

Apps in both markets are 90% buggy crap. Having experience in iOS and Android, I can say I barely use any of the ones that I have ever downloaded.

Honestly, you can blow a hole in 2GB of data pretty easily by simply streaming something like Pandora or whatever other internet radio you prefer on a regular basis (while you are at your desk, in the car, etc.). It sounds like you are more asking about a percentage of total smartphone users that use that much data every month though. If that's what you're referring to, then yeah, the vast majority of people probably would fit into a 2GB or 5GB per month plan with many packets to spare. I seem to remember when AT&T first decided to tier their data plans and everyone was throwing a fit about it, they said that 90%+ (I think) of their customers would actually save money because they never went over 2GB. That's pretty conservative too...I want to say it was actually over 95% but I'm not sure. In this case, I am personally a "one-percenter".

When is the last time you tried a new app and where did you look to decide which one would be the best one? Pretty much all the apps that I use work like a champ, and most of them are free. Seems pretty odd to me that you would have such a high failure rate.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    Coming from a dedicated iPhone user I will say that ultimately these things come down to user preference. I seriously considered switching from my iPhone to android last year but found the GUI to be clumsy (at the time) and everything on my phone just works. With that being said iOS isn't perfect. Some things need to be seriously updated, such as its maps app.

My thoughts exactly! The GUI was very Windows 95 and ultra clunky. I'm 100% iPhone that's for sure. My wife loves her Ipad as well. I don't use it all the much, but it's a lot of fun when I do.

The biggest problem I have with my iPhone is the bluetooth feature. It sometimes flakes out and I have to restart the whole process over again.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I'm a phone tech for a major wireless carrier. I see Android phones every single day. I know Android pretty well. If you are at least a little tech savvy, you can probably make an good Android phone work well to great for you. There are a lot crap phones out there though unfortunately. That said, I personally find iOS to be FAR superior.

Multitasking on Android, even still in ICS, sucks. Give devs an inch and they'll take a mile. I'd rather the phone enforce sensible resource utilization limits than trust the developer to. I'd honestly rather not have to manage the running processes on my phone. I have more important things to worry about already.

No one wants to develop really cool android apps because there's no market for paid apps on Android when compared with the iPhone. 95% of the people with android phones I ask tell me they have never bought an application. Most paid apps in the Market get less than 100 downloads. This continuously boggles my mind. Your only hope as an Android developer is to have a free app with ad impressions.

Android comes with great freedom. No doubt about it. But it's a wild west kind of freedom where you have to fend for yourself. If you're okay with that, fine. Me, I'll stick to my nicely appointed, easy, walled garden (which I break out of from time to time icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif).
    Your post perfectly explains the difference between users. Most iphone users that I know got them for 2 reasons:
    1. It was an iphone
    2. It so simple, a child could use it
    (and yes, these are the reasons that I've been given)

With the exception of WebOS, multitasking on all mobile platforms suck. I don't know how multitasking is in ios 5 but in the previous version, it was far from multitasking. IIRC, all it did was suspend most of the apps and just resumed them when returned. That's not multitasking.

My views of apps differ from majority of the world, so I really don't have a comment on paragraph 3.

And I didn't understand your last few sentences. Android users have to fend for themselves? How is that?
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This NPR article definitely adds to this discussion and explains the "Wild West" argument. :)

In U.S., Android Has Upper Hand On The iPhone

(I wasn't looking for it...it just happened to show up on my Yahoo feed. LOL )
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    When is the last time you tried a new app and where did you look to decide which one would be the best one? Pretty much all the apps that I use work like a champ, and most of them are free. Seems pretty odd to me that you would have such a high failure rate.

Going off reviews from the market themselves. And I typically sort them by newest.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    This NPR article definitely adds to this discussion and explains the "Wild West" argument. :)

In U.S., Android Has Upper Hand On The iPhone

(I wasn't looking for it...it just happened to show up on my Yahoo feed. LOL )
    OK.....I didn't know he meant from the app/market side. I don't use that many apps anyway. I use mostly Google Apps and probably terminal emulator, note me and Dolphin HD. I still have SetCPU from the old days before it was a paid app and I think that it is about it. I do most things on my Touchpad because it works perfect for the person who does more than 1 things at a time. I have my SSH client going, browsing, FlashCards, and the Kindle App going at the same time. Card system FTW!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like my Razr and the only way I would go back to the iPhone is if the next one has at least a 4 inch screen. With that I really, really MISS the availability and quality of the iTunes app market. Android has gotten better in the last two years since I switched but the big name app developers go iOS first and maybe once their app gets less popular on iOS will port it to Android.

My biggest problem is apps for Android that have iOS versions lag several versions behind iOS or just get abandoned. The apps WGU uses for the ebooks for IOS has an "offline" mode where you just have to log in every two weeks but no wireless no problem. This major major feature which was added last year for iOS is not available for Android.

Articles that say Android is "more popular" are kind of misleading, I would say Android is more numerous but not "popular". Besides iOS what else is there Blackberry? Windows? Android can be installed on anything and everything so the market is kind of iffy, consumers need to research the hell out of Android phone and even then your not sure what the manufacturer does with the default OS.

Tablet wise....I bought a Toshiba Thrive and major disappointment for me. I waited too long because I kept thinking it would get better like my phone but there were a few issues that I could not avoid. One was browser typing lag, I tried Opera, Dolphin and the default and I would get browser typing lag that made typing on forums near impossible and frustrating. Another was screen touch accuracy. I Googled "Toshiba Thrive touch accuracy" and checked some Android forums and saw some suggestions to fix the issue but even after I tried those nope it was hard to click on links if it was near another. I ended up putting it on Ebay and will just wait for the next version of the iPad.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I like my Razr and the only way I would go back to the iPhone is if the next one has at least a 4 inch screen. With that I really, really MISS the availability and quality of the iTunes app market. Android has gotten better in the last two years since I switched but the big name app developers go iOS first and maybe once their app gets less popular on iOS will port it to Android.

My biggest problem is apps for Android that have iOS versions lag several versions behind iOS or just get abandoned. The apps WGU uses for the ebooks for IOS has an "offline" mode where you just have to log in every two weeks but no wireless no problem. This major major feature which was added last year for iOS is not available for Android.

Articles that say Android is "more popular" are kind of misleading, I would say Android is more numerous but not "popular". Besides iOS what else is there Blackberry? Windows? Android can be installed on anything and everything so the market is kind of iffy, consumers need to research the hell out of Android phone and even then your not sure what the manufacturer does with the default OS.

Tablet wise....I bought a Toshiba Thrive and major disappointment for me. I waited too long because I kept thinking it would get better like my phone but there were a few issues that I could not avoid. One was browser typing lag, I tried Opera, Dolphin and the default and I would get browser typing lag that made typing on forums near impossible and frustrating. Another was screen touch accuracy. I Googled "Toshiba Thrive touch accuracy" and checked some Android forums and saw some suggestions to fix the issue but even after I tried those nope it was hard to click on links if it was near another. I ended up putting it on Ebay and will just wait for the next version of the iPad.

That forum typing lag is not in Firefox. I went through the same thing on my XOOM. Isn't it amazing that these dual core Xghz blah blah blah devices suffer? And wtf is quadcore going to do...besides sound cool and drain batteries faster?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That forum typing lag is not in Firefox. I went through the same thing on my XOOM. Isn't it amazing that these dual core Xghz blah blah blah devices suffer? And wtf is quadcore going to do...besides sound cool and drain batteries faster?

You got the same thing with Xoom? I thought it was some memory issue and the Thrive was a lower cost device so I just thought it was quality related. Ok its an issue with forums got a lot of hits when googling "browser lag in forums on android tablets"
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    You got the same thing with Xoom? I thought it was some memory issue and the Thrive was a lower cost device so I just thought it was quality related. Ok its an issue with forums got a lot of hits when googling "browser lag in forums on android tablets"

Yeah....just get Firefox.