Bored of reading...

dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
I have finished reading my CCENT for dummies book and started on the Sybex CCENT book however 3 chapters in and I cant face reading it. I read about 5 pages and switch off. Any advice for this maybe watch CBT videos or use Testout Labsim? Help!!icon_redface.gif
Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you attack the books as a whole chapter, it's going to be hard. I try to go into these books with the mindset "This is going to suck". So I read paragraphs, instead of chapters. I move in on a paragraph, like a ninja pirate - ninja pirates are awesome.

It takes longer, yes. But I find myself more focused on the topic if I don't go for chapters. I used to read to get the chapter done, and not actually focus on the material ...which I've regret doing because i've spent more time re-reading that chapter afterwards :P

I love this stuff and it's still hard for me to get through the book so don't worry about it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Try to break up the books with some sort of videos. I have found that this makes it easier than just straight reading. The main issue I have with the books is retention - by the time I finished the ODOM book for CCNA I had forgotten the early chapters. Take good notes and use as many sources as possible for info.

And take MANY breaks. I find that anything more than an hour at a time reading is a waste. Try using videos or labs to break up the monotony.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain. I just finished up graduate school, only to get a a job that requires a few certs. Now my head is stuck in a book once again.
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Thanks for the advice. I really want this cert may dive into labsim for a while. Whats a ninja pirate?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    I have finished reading my CCENT for dummies book and started on the Sybex CCENT book however 3 chapters in and I cant face reading it. I read about 5 pages and switch off. Any advice for this maybe watch CBT videos or use Testout Labsim? Help!!icon_redface.gif

Take your time with reading. Just a little every day and do those end of chapter questions as you go along. You can get through even a large Odom properly in 6 weeks like that. Dont rush reading. It requires reflection and patience and should be done as long as it is enjoyable. Then take a short break and let the information swill around your head for some minutes before starting over. I have seen testimonies of people 'speed reading' the whole of Doyle Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 n a weekend. The fools.
    Meh. Speed reading. It's a farce unless you're (Warning: Impending Geek Moment) Data from Star Trek.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with Turgon...

Ask yourself, am I better off reading the text slowly and making notes and flashcards as I go to aid comprehension or should I read the book 5 times until I understand it? I learned the hard way when studying for CCNP ROUTE that it's much easier to do the hard work of making notes and flashcards to really get your head around a subject than doing multiple reads and hoping to glean all the "pieces." I am applying this concept to my CCNP SWITCH studies and as a result, I have a fantastic set of reference notes for final review so I don't get to the end of a few months of studying and completely forget a topic and have to dive back into the book. Also, I am actually getting through the material faster by going through the book more slowly. If you have any aspirations of becoming a CCIE, notes seem to be critical to studying over as long a period as it takes to get a CCIE.

For CCNP SWITCH this is what I do when I tackle a topic -

1)Watch CBT NUggets video
    2)Do the corresponding labs out of the Cisco Academy Lab Manual
    3)Read the Topic in the FLG - by this point I am grasping granular detail when I read because the material isn't brand new and I can conceptualize it on a Network from the lab

This is probably the biggest mistake newcomers to Cisco certification make - Lab before you read not the other way around. You're gonna do it several times anyway so it's not a huge deal if you're just plugging in commands at first without fully understanding what you're doing....that will come later. Your mind will gravitate towards commands in the book after you do this because you can say. "hey, I know that because I typed it into a router!" This makes reading more interesting as well because it's not as esoteric and dry.

This method works very well for me....YMMV
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    vinbuck wrote: »
    I agree with Turgon...

Ask yourself, am I better off reading the text slowly and making notes and flashcards as I go to aid comprehension or should I read the book 5 times until I understand it? I learned the hard way when studying for CCNP ROUTE that it's much easier to do the hard work of making notes and flashcards to really get your head around a subject than doing multiple reads and hoping to glean all the "pieces." I am applying this concept to my CCNP SWITCH studies and as a result, I have a fantastic set of reference notes for final review so I don't get to the end of a few months of studying and completely forget a topic and have to dive back into the book. Also, I am actually getting through the material faster by going through the book more slowly. If you have any aspirations of becoming a CCIE, notes seem to be critical to studying over as long a period as it takes to get a CCIE.

3)Read the Topic in the FLG - by this point I am grasping granular detail when I read because the material isn't brand new and I can conceptualize it on a Network from the lab

This is probably the biggest mistake newcomers to Cisco certification make - Lab before you read not the other way around. You're gonna do it several times anyway so it's not a huge deal if you're just plugging in commands at first without fully understanding what you're doing....that will come later. Your mind will gravitate towards commands in the book after you do this because you can say. "hey, I know that because I typed it into a router!" This makes reading more interesting as well because it's not as esoteric and dry.

Thank you to both of you :) I will try this approach.
    I am an impatient man
  • chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    I read a chapter then I watch a cbt nugget video corresponding. I feel it breaks up the mundane reading and help reinforce the topic.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    One other small bit of advice - take a day off occasionally. I've found that if I take a day off every couple of weeks or so, I come back much fresher. Just don't let the day off turn into any longer than one day...
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Use this for a couple of days and take notes and that may help with the boredom: http://cbtnuggets.com/subscriptions/cram

Thats if you dont have them already.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    I agree with Turgon...

+1.
    Thats the only way I can absorb stuff.

But if you don't like reading you are really in the wrong industry.
    pretty much everything in IT or engineering with computers is reading.

The good thing with CCNA materials so far is they are all fairly well written and interesting
    especially compared to some of the chip data sheets and user guides I have to wade through
    for work - embedded systems and electronics.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    alxx wrote: »
    +1.
    Thats the only way I can absorb stuff.

But if you don't like reading you are really in the wrong industry.
    pretty much everything in IT or engineering with computers is reading.

The good thing with CCNA materials so far is they are all fairly well written and interesting
    especially compared to some of the chip data sheets and user guides I have to wade through
    for work - embedded systems and electronics.

No, you misunderstand. I am saying I have just got tired of going over the same material
    How are you doing on the chapter quizzes?

Do labs, mix it up a little bit too. Instead of installing RIP, use OSPF or EIGRP. Maybe instead of HDLC, run PPP and put RIP ontop.

Create some funkiness and trouble shoot it where you went wrong.

No, you misunderstand. I am saying I have just got tired of going over the same material

Thats what the note taking and flash cards are for.
    you pull out the important worthwhile stuff and condense it down in your notes, summaries .
    then reduce it further to the flash cards.

Then just reread your notes , summaries and use the flash cards.

Just as / if not more important is labbing it.Before , during and after each chapter.
    I usually do the labs first, what a video take notes, lab again, read the chapter take notes
    then lab it again. Helps make things stick.

I did this for the programming subjects at uni, when doing them myself
    and for others to do when I was tutoring.
    going to be doing it a lot this coming semester as doing my final two engineering subjects
    ( 11 years part time for a double degree - physics and computer systems)
    alxx wrote: »
    Thats what the note taking and flash cards are for.
    you pull out the important worthwhile stuff and condense it down in your notes, summaries .
    then reduce it further to the flash cards.

Then just reread your notes , summaries and use the flash cards.

Just as / if not more important is labbing it.Before , during and after each chapter.
    I usually do the labs first, what a video take notes, lab again, read the chapter take notes
    then lab it again. Helps make things stick.

I did this for the programming subjects at uni, when doing them myself
    and for others to do when I was tutoring.
    going to be doing it a lot this coming semester as doing my final two engineering subjects
    ( 11 years part time for a double degree - physics and computer systems)
    Thanks icon_thumright.gif you and some of the other advice I have had on here have made me realize how wrong my study techniques are icon_redface.gif
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    How are you doing on the chapter quizzes?

Do labs, mix it up a little bit too. Instead of installing RIP, use OSPF or EIGRP. Maybe instead of HDLC, run PPP and put RIP ontop.

Create some funkiness and trouble shoot it where you went wrong.

Normally about 8/10 some 10s some 6s thrown in but 8 average
    Had a mess abour randomly on PT last night. What a monstrosity I created icon_lol.gif
    Just a quick question.
    I have been reading the Sybex CCENT course book but it just doesn't seem to be clicking with me.
    Has anybody else used the CCENT for Dummies book?
    I found this a lot easier to read and I think of reading it again.
    Would this and CBT nuggets videos be enough for this cert?
    CBT Isn't enough, atleast all the topics wasn't quite covered in depth like the ICND1 book.

While Jerermy is a good teacher, he tends to leave out the detail. which is great to build a solid foundation of knowledge about the subject.

If you have problems getting a subject, watch the videos, or ask on the forums. I'll probably answer :P

Whatever book you're reading just keep in mind it takes time to absorb the information. CCENT builds that strong foothold into the other branches of CISCO. Likewise with CCNA.

CBT Isn't enough, atleast all the topics wasn't quite covered in depth like the ICND1 book.

While Jerermy is a good teacher, he tends to leave out the detail. which is great to build a solid foundation of knowledge about the subject.

If you have problems getting a subject, watch the videos, or ask on the forums. I'll probably answer :P

Whatever book you're reading just keep in mind it takes time to absorb the information. CCENT builds that strong foothold into the other branches of CISCO. Likewise with CCNA.
    Thanks for your reply Roughe :)
    What I was asking though is would the CCENT For Dummies book plus the CBT videos be enough.
    I don't seem to struggle to much with the theory occasionally I struggle with some subnetting questions but they tend to be the ones that are not Class C icon_sad.gif Although I'm confident I will have it dialled in by exam time (aiming for the end of April icon_study.gif
    It seems to be forgetting stuff I have issues withicon_redface.gif
    It probably would be enough for Dummies and CBT. I don't know though.

Subnetting questions get easier as you keep doing them. You'll learn in your heard what 248 means for subnet mask, the reverse of that - 7. as an example. Also, i've seen myself not needing the 128, 64, 32, 16... chart because i've done them so much.

Reptition, making mistakes and learning from them, asking questions if you're not sure (You're not the only one with subnetting questions, I still have my own moments).

The best thing that i've found is to look at an address and the SM. Tell yourself the range of that applicable address under 20 seconds. Really, after a while of doing it. Not just doing it for one single day. Do it for 4 days of the week, with a day in between. I was never asked "Do this and find me the range of this" More so asking what's the ranges of the network topology.

Find this range:
    IP: 193.64.33.20
    SM: /24 (255.255.255.0)

its hard at first (I know, i struggled), then you do it and it clicks and eventually it's like walking. The more you do it, the better you'll be.

Just start looking at IP addresses other than the Digit numbers. Try to look at the numbers in Binary... Like the Matrix! Be the next Neo and take have an incredible adventure where you see a monk bend spoons for fun.

Oh and the range:
    193.64.33.0 - 193.64.33.255.
    Broadcast: 192.168.33.255
    Subnet: 193.64.33.0

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do 20-30 of these a day before you begin studying. I used it to pass my CCNA and brush up on speed subnetting before I took my CCNP Routing exam...it ended up being a huge help both times. Subnetting for Cisco exams is mostly about speed - these should be the questions where you make up time so you have extra for labs. If you can't solve a subnetting problem in your head in less than 30 seconds then you aren't ready to take the exam and need to practice more.

IP Subnet Practice

Cisco exams are as much about time management as they are about content. If you tend to get hung up and spend 10 minutes on a single multiple choice question then you are likely to fail. This has a practical application in the real world - if a network goes down and there are multiple problems, you may not be able to solve all of them right away. A seasoned engineer has to have the situational awareness to know when he is fighting a losing battle and quickly move on to another task in order to get a complete picture of the problem - oftentimes the issue you are stumped on may become clearer when you solve another seemingly unrelated issue.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    It probably would be enough for Dummies and CBT. I don't know though.

Subnetting questions get easier as you keep doing them. You'll learn in your heard what 248 means for subnet mask, the reverse of that - 7. as an example. Also, i've seen myself not needing the 128, 64, 32, 16... chart because i've done them so much.

Reptition, making mistakes and learning from them, asking questions if you're not sure (You're not the only one with subnetting questions, I still have my own moments).

The best thing that i've found is to look at an address and the SM. Tell yourself the range of that applicable address under 20 seconds. Really, after a while of doing it. Not just doing it for one single day. Do it for 4 days of the week, with a day in between. I was never asked "Do this and find me the range of this" More so asking what's the ranges of the network topology.

Find this range:
    IP: 193.64.33.20
    SM: /24 (255.255.255.0)

its hard at first (I know, i struggled), then you do it and it clicks and eventually it's like walking. The more you do it, the better you'll be.

Just start looking at IP addresses other than the Digit numbers. Try to look at the numbers in Binary... Like the Matrix! Be the next Neo and take have an incredible adventure where you see a monk bend spoons for fun.

Oh and the range:
    193.64.33.0 - 193.64.33.255.
    Broadcast: 192.168.33.255
    Subnet: 193.64.33.0
    I found a thread where the guy used the dummies book and cbt nuggets so hopefully that will do. I think the reason I like the dummies book is because its in Smaller chapters and I'm a bit OCD about finishing chapters icon_redface.gif I use some other resources and PT. Thanks for the advice just repetition I guess, I'm working on memorizing my powers of 2 as well. icon_study.gif
    Do 20-30 of these a day before you begin studying. I used it to pass my CCNA and brush up on speed subnetting before I took my CCNP Routing exam...it ended up being a huge help both times. Subnetting for Cisco exams is mostly about speed - these should be the questions where you make up time so you have extra for labs. If you can't solve a subnetting problem in your head in less than 30 seconds then you aren't ready to take the exam and need to practice more.

IP Subnet Practice

Cisco exams are as much about time management as they are about content. If you tend to get hung up and spend 10 minutes on a single multiple choice question then you are likely to fail. This has a practical application in the real world - if a network goes down and there are multiple problems, you may not be able to solve all of them right away. A seasoned engineer has to have the situational awareness to know when he is fighting a losing battle and quickly move on to another task in order to get a complete picture of the problem - oftentimes the issue you are stumped on may become clearer when you solve another seemingly unrelated issue.
    I have used that and I get them right nearly all the time.
    I used this and really struggle with them IDK why

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    icon_confused.gif:
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be fine with the Dummies book which is excellent and watching cbt nuggets vids and/or train signal. Looking back now I also used the cisco press book but in retrospect I wish I hadn't have wasted my time on it. As its 70% waffle.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    I don't find the cisco books for ICND1 and 2 that bad(better than a lot of uni text books)
    They and the Lammle book go well together.

keep on eye on the cisco $9.99 ebook of the day $9.99 eBook Deal of the Day
    The ccna books come up every now and again
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just a quick question.
    Would this and CBT nuggets videos be enough for this cert?

No way in the world. If you want to successfully pass the CCNA and get a really good grasp of everything you will need the cisco press books by Odom. They are a 'must have' in my opinion. I haven't used the dummies books but i would imagine they won't cover everything you need to know.

The theory can be a bit dry in the beginning but stick with it. Watch some CBT nuggets videos to break up the theory. Once you get to the practical and setting up networks thats where the fun really starts.

The key is to focus on one chapter at a time. It is not a race. Take your time with it. Don't move on to the next chapter until you have a really good grasp of the current one. Setup labs to help reinforce the theory.
    mella060 wrote: »
    No way in the world. If you want to successfully pass the CCNA and get a really good grasp of everything you will need the cisco press books by Odom. They are a 'must have' in my opinion. I haven't used the dummies books but i would imagine they won't cover everything you need to know.

The theory can be a bit dry in the beginning but stick with it. Watch some CBT nuggets videos to break up the theory. Once you get to the practical and setting up networks thats where the fun really starts.

The key is to focus on one chapter at a time. It is not a race. Take your time with it. Don't move on to the next chapter until you have a really good grasp of the current one. Setup labs to help reinforce the theory.
    Is the Odom book that good?
    I thought it was awful to read
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's dry for sure, but definitely has everything you need. Some people prefer Lammle but I didn't. To each their own. :)
    Is the Odom book that good?
    I thought it was awful to read
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    bermovick wrote: »
    It's dry for sure, but definitely has everything you need. Some people prefer Lammle but I didn't. To each their own. :)
    I didnt like either.
    The dummies one seems to be written with me in mind icon_lol.gif
    I have a poor concentration span so the way its done with about 25 pages per chapter a few labs and a 10 question exam works for me.
    I have read it once and I'm going through it again, just took this demo exam CCNA ICND1 practice exam and passed it so it cant be that bad a book.
    Unless these exams are easy icon_confused.gif:
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Unless these exams are easy icon_confused.gif:

This exams are too easy.
    fsanyee wrote: »
    This exams are too easy.
    I thought it was