Bored of reading...

2»

Comments

• seansdseansd Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cheer up, took me 10 yrs to get thru the book icon_cheers.gif
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Take your time with reading. Just a little every day and do those end of chapter questions as you go along. You can get through even a large Odom properly in 6 weeks like that. Dont rush reading. It requires reflection and patience and should be done as long as it is enjoyable. Then take a short break and let the information swill around your head for some minutes before starting over. I have seen testimonies of people 'speed reading' the whole of Doyle Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 n a weekend. The fools.

I don't even want to say how long it look me to read Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 the first time 4 years ago.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to break up the reading with some labbing. That is what has always worked for me. It's nice applying what you're reading as a way to break up the reading. It has a dual benefit of breaking up the reading in addition to getting the knowledge from your brain to your fingertips.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Try to break up the reading with some labbing. That is what has always worked for me. It's nice applying what you're reading as a way to break up the reading. It has a dual benefit of breaking up the reading in addition to getting the knowledge from your brain to your fingertips.

I have been doing this since you suggested it I'm sticking with the dummies book (has lots of Labs per chapter) and Labbing in PT and Boson found that im easily doing over 2 hours. Its amazing how much time the labs add on to a chapter without you realizingicon_surprised.gif
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    Is the Odom book that good?
    I thought it was awful to read

Its pretty well written for a cisco press book. I just read a chapter each evening or whatever subject i was covering at the time.

It is a lot easier to follow after you have read Lammles books and watched the CBTs.

I didn't even buy the cisco press books until i had read most of Lammles book and watched a lot of CBTs.

It helps to have a good grasp of the basics before you pick up the cisco press books.

The only chapter i didn't bother with in the cisco press book was subnetting as id already mastered it
    mella060 wrote: »
    Its pretty well written for a cisco press book. I just read a chapter each evening or whatever subject i was covering at the time.

It is a lot easier to follow after you have read Lammles books and watched the CBTs.

I didn't even buy the cisco press books until i had read most of Lammles book and watched a lot of CBTs.

It helps to have a good grasp of the basics before you pick up the cisco press books.

The only chapter i didn't bother with in the cisco press book was subnetting as id already mastered it

Mmmmm its a difficult one as I'm enjoying studying with the dummies book and someone here has said that its a great book in this thread.
    When I was reading the Cisco Press book it started to become a chore...
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    I think it depends on your knowledge. If you know how things work in a network, it's hard to read a book like Odom's OCG, so it's much better to read some shorter study guide (CCNA Exam Prep, Dummies or Todd's book...). The OCG is good and better for beginners, who don't know anything about these topics.
    fsanyee wrote: »
    I think it depends on your knowledge. If you know how things work in a network, it's hard to read a book like Odom's OCG, so it's much better to read some shorter study guide (CCNA Exam Prep, Dummies or Todd's book...). The OCG is good and better for beginners, who don't know anything about these topics.

Thank you for your reply. I haven't worked on large Networks but I was up to Net+ test standard before I started my CCENT studies.