Options

Labbing ? : Why can my Laptop Ping everything but no SW or R can Ping it?

ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
Very weird.

I will attach a picture of my network topology. My question is..I have no problem pinging everything on the network topology from my Acer Laptop. When I try to get on any of the Routers or Switches and ping the laptop (192.168.20.10) it always fails.

How can it fail if I can ping from my laptop fine? Literally nothing from the cisco devices will successfully ping the laptop. But all the Cisco devices can ping eachother no problem..as well as the laptop is able to ping all the Cisco devices from CMD on the laptop.

Any pointers?

networkx.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Disable your firewall, if you're running windows. I set up a custom rule to allow icmp from my lab ip ranges. It's not the most secure thing to do, but try it and see.

Edit: To clarify, disable whatever firewall you're using--and if it works, make a custom rule for whatever you're running for a firewall.
  • Options
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Disable your firewall, if you're running windows. I set up a custom rule to allow icmp from my lab ip ranges. It's not the most secure thing to do, but try it and see.

Edit: To clarify, disable whatever firewall you're using--and if it works, make a custom rule for whatever you're running for a firewall.

Well, that was easy. :)

So how should I make a custom rule for it? I'm using the regular firewall that comes with Windows 7 64bit.
  • Options
    fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Well, that was easy. :)

So how should I make a custom rule for it? I'm using the regular firewall that comes with Windows 7 64bit.

I forget who it is, but someone on this site has a signature that says something like "an expert is someone who has made every mistake". That's paraphrasing, but I've been there, done that. I've loved every step of the way so far, but sometimes you find yourself reinventing the wheel on some things. I'll never forget 30 minutes I spent configuring my router, rebooting, and still being sent to the initial setup program. Gotta love the configuration register set to bypass the startup config. :) Anyway, glad to help.
  • Options
    Also, out of curiosity, did you make that topology diagram, or is that copied from somewhere? I'm using visio to make diagrams, but I'm wondering what a lot of people are using these days.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    viso on windows, omni graffle on mac and dia on linux for diagrams

can also use gsn3
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Also, out of curiosity, did you make that topology diagram, or is that copied from somewhere? I'm using visio to make diagrams, but I'm wondering what a lot of people are using these days.

I used Visio 2007 to make it. Also have 2010 but haven't tried it yet. To see those symbols you'll need to click on Network under the template section and then Detailed Network Diagram. After that you'll click on the tab section that says "Network Symbols" to use all the ones like Switches / Routers.

37715298.jpg

87362263.jpg
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    You can download an icon pack and stencils from cisco

Network Topology Icons - Cisco Systems
    Product Support Visio Stencils - Cisco Systems

This is all of the cisco visio stencils etc its 143MB
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/assets/visio/product_visio_icon0900aecd80095127.zip

Not much difference between visio 2007 and 2010.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Yeah, I have the cisco stencils and I am familiar with the icons used, but I was interested in how you numbered the routers and switches. I always use text boxes, but it looks like you either have numbered icons or somehow applied a label to the data shape graphic. I've seen others do it, but my google-fu has not turned up any answers on how to accomplish this. Any pointers?
  • Options
    Yeah, I have the cisco stencils and I am familiar with the icons used, but I was interested in how you numbered the routers and switches. I always use text boxes, but it looks like you either have numbered icons or somehow applied a label to the data shape graphic. I've seen others do it, but my google-fu has not turned up any answers on how to accomplish this. Any pointers?

All I did was create a small text box and type "R1" in it and format it to bold and size 14 I believe. Then I just rotated the text some so that it sit nicely in the Router and Switch image. Then after I had it done I just copied and pasted it for all the other devices and just renamed the text.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Very weird.

I will attach a picture of my network topology. My question is..I have no problem pinging everything on the network topology from my Acer Laptop. When I try to get on any of the Routers or Switches and ping the laptop (192.168.20.10) it always fails.

How can it fail if I can ping from my laptop fine? Literally nothing from the cisco devices will successfully ping the laptop. But all the Cisco devices can ping eachother no problem..as well as the laptop is able to ping all the Cisco devices from CMD on the laptop.

Any pointers?

networkx.jpg

You have routing. Layer 3 good. Layer 4 no good. Firewall.