Do you display your certs?

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I paid for 'em, so I plaster them everywhere I can!!! icon_cool.gif

jdmurray-albums-certificates-picture1895t-certwall.jpg

Seriously though, it really depends on your business culture. I work in a place where certs are respected and actively sought, so we display them where appropriate--including in our email sigs.

In such an environment slap them everywhere! In a place where it's not done, it's your cube so do what you want..but there will be giggles.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Turgon wrote: »
    ..but there will be giggles.
    Not in my corporate culture. All I've gotten thus far is questions like, "How long did it take you get that one?"

I still haven't purchased a frameable copy of my Masters degree, otherwise I'd have that up there too.

And somebody has yet to ask why my Security+ cert is just a frameless, bad photocopy pinned on my wall with a thumbtack. icon_lol.gif
    Not in my corporate culture. All I've gotten thus far is questions like, "How long did it take you get that one?"

I still haven't purchased a frameable copy of my Masters degree, otherwise I'd have that up there too.

And somebody has yet to ask why my Security+ cert is just a frameless, bad photocopy pinned on my wall with a thumbtack. icon_lol.gif

Then its a culture where it is done which is fine. In a culture where it isn't done there may be giggles :) I worked in one company where someone hung up an Oracle certificate..the only dude in the company to hang any certificate. Got a few laughs. Not only where we surrounded by people with first class honours degrees, but also a boat load of PhDs. Nobody was called 'Doctor'. Just one of those companies where if you were 'in' you had the qualifications were elite and everyone was relaxed about themselves and their peers.

That was that company. In others if they love you to show off the qualifications go for it, you earned them and are entitled!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□

Seriously though, it really depends on your business culture. I work in a place where certs are respected and actively sought, so we display them where appropriate--including in our email sigs.

nice!! i hope to do something similiar when i finally go full time after school.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have the frames just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really want to get them in my office sooooooon.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

LOL...I think the fact that you even have Security+ showing at all (compared to your CISSP) is very admirable. It shows that you have some value for it. Whether you show the same reverance for it as your other accomplishments is irrelevant; the fact that you show any reverance at all for Security+ is really a good deal.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828

I see the ISC2 certs and CompTIA on the left, what are the 2 on the right?

Also, love the frameless Sec+. That's just perfect!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    swild wrote: »

Also, love the frameless Sec+. That's just perfect!

I worked with a teammate a few years back and he had his ITIL V3 and Security + with a thumb tackle through them and had his Masters and Bachelors degree framed with prestige. lol
    N2IT wrote: »
    I worked with a teammate a few years back and he had his ITIL V3 and Security + with a thumb tackle through them and had his Masters and Bachelors degree framed with prestige. lol
    My Masters diploma is bound in a folder that sits on a desk. I never got around to ordering the hanging plaque version of it. Now I'm afraid to look up the price. The CISSP plaque is quite expensive, so I never got it.
    N2IT wrote: »
    I have the frames just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really want to get them in my office sooooooon.
    Quite common. Most of the people I know who have certs, but don't have them hung up, claim procrastination in either buying the frames or just getting them hung.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    LOL...I think the fact that you even have Security+ showing at all (compared to your CISSP) is very admirable. It shows that you have some value for it. Whether you show the same reverance for it as your other accomplishments is irrelevant; the fact that you show any reverance at all for Security+ is really a good deal.
    I show some respect for the Security+ because Microsoft, HIPAA, The US DoD, and other such organizations recognize the Security+. I do recommend it for people who think they may be interested in InfoSec.
    swild wrote: »
    Computer forensics certs. Very unusual--if useless--certs to have for someone working in a NOC.
  • ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope. I just throw everything (incl my degree) in a cabinet for safe keeping.

Where I work, nearly everyone has the same certs, with the exception of different occupations of course (NAs having CCNAs or some such cert). Besides, my RHCSA would feel dinky next to someone's CCIE D:
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    SubnetZero wrote: »
    I used to put all of them in my email signature but decided against that years a go and stopped. However that being said I made an exception once I got my CCIE#.

With the CCIE I logged over 1500 hours of rack time, gave up two years of my life, and almost ended up divorced. This one stays!!

Maximum respect for that and cant see anyone blaming you. icon_smile.gif

As dont have CCIE and dont think am good enough to get it icon_sad.gif this will be something I wont be able to do.

I dont put them in my email sig as were not allowed to at work. But then not really bothered about doing it either. Its a personal prefference really (work permitting)
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know my boss wants me to hang my MCITP as there is an incentive (raise) to achieve it here, yet i'm the only one with one. All the rest sit in a folder at home, i'm proud of them but wall space is a premium with my wife. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    The CISSP plaque is quite expensive, so I never got it.

When I got my certificate from ISC2, it came with a 15% off coupon for the plaque. With that it was pretty much the same price as getting the certificate professionally framed so I have the original certificate at home in a file for safe keeping and the plaque hanging on my wall in my office.

Now the process of getting it was rather bad. First, the coupon code wouldn't work because they didn't have it entered as an active code. Second, they say it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get your plaque. After 6 weeks, I called to find out what the hold up was. They contacted the manufacturer and were told that my certificate was damaged in the laminating process and they were having to start over. ANOTHER 6 weeks (to the day) later, I received my plaque. Taking 3 months to get it was very off- putting. Also, this was right after they had taken the website database offline for a month. So really it was 4 months after I received my certificate.
    I remember the cert plaque price being over $100, but now it looks more reasonable: Mounted Certificate
    And I did get the mounted certificate and not the plaque. so after the coupon, it was only $70. A decent frame would easily be $50 and this one doesn't have any glass to break. I would consider the plaque if it didn't have the expiration date on it.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    [QUOTE=swild;606859 I would consider the plaque if it didn't have the expiration date on it.[/QUOTE]

My plaque doesn't have the expiration date on it.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    None of the employees in my old employer displayed their certs. There was a contractor that did display his CCNA and the were giggles. Few weeks later and he was let go. From what I was told, the guy thought he knew everything and was lazy.

In my current employer, there is only one person that display cert in his office - our CIO-equivalent.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I don't have an office, but even when I did I did not display the certificates. Now I don't even bother to print them out. Our corporate standard email signature has a line for our certifications. Since I work for an MS Partner I don't list the Cisco or EMC certs and I only list the MCSE and the abbreviations for my different MCITPs. We have some consultants who list some (all?) of their MCTS certs, but one line is all I feel I need.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I had at least a BS and some higher level certs, I might. But my certs right now are not worth displaying, at least not on their own, IMO. Even MCITP:EA, when I get it, just seems sad without a BS or MS sitting next to it. I would only put them up, in any case, in the appropriate culture where putting credentials up in your office is the norm.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    My Masters diploma is bound in a folder that sits on a desk. I never got around to ordering the hanging plaque version of it. Now I'm afraid to look up the price. The CISSP plaque is quite expensive, so I never got it.

Quite common. Most of the people I know who have certs, but don't have them hung up, claim procrastination in either buying the frames or just getting them hung.

I show some respect for the Security+ because Microsoft, HIPAA, The US DoD, and other such organizations recognize the Security+. I do recommend it for people who think they may be interested in InfoSec.

Computer forensics certs. Very unusual--if useless--certs to have for someone working in a NOC.

Do you work in a NOC or a SOC?
    None of the employees in my old employer displayed their certs. There was a contractor that did display his CCNA and the were giggles. Few weeks later and he was let go. From what I was told, the guy thought he knew everything and was lazy.

In my current employer, there is only one person that display cert in his office - our CIO-equivalent.

There is a display culture in the US. Less so in the UK. It's seen as something of a 'glory space', and with that British reserve we just love to shoot people down. Should people stick certs up a lot of people here would think the person thought they knew everything and was hiding behind certifications. Which isn't necessarily so.
    There is a display culture in the US. Less so in the UK. It's seen as something of a 'glory space', and with that British reserve we just love to shoot people down. Should people stick certs up a lot of people here would think the person thought they knew everything and was hiding behind certifications. Which isn't necessarily so.

I've never been really in a lot of companies to know if there's a display culture here in the US. A lot of people that I've worked with don't really respect the certs because a lot of people **** to get their cert. Maybe that's why you hear giggles when people hang their cert up in their cube. *shrugs* I think the only thing I will consider hanging is a copy of the CCIE plaque. That is, if I ever get the darn thing!
    I've never been really in a lot of companies to know if there's a display culture here in the US. A lot of people that I've worked with don't really respect the certs because a lot of people **** to get their cert. Maybe that's why you hear giggles when people hang their cert up in their cube. *shrugs* I think the only thing I will consider hanging is a copy of the CCIE plaque. That is, if I ever get the darn thing!

I guess Im going by the TV shows I watch in the US sometimes. All these offices flooded with certificates of one description or another! A lot of people do **** Im afraid. When you see the expense and time sacrifice people on TE go to in order to study for things 'properly', it's probably raised the stock of ****.
    I guess Im going by the TV shows I watch in the US sometimes. All these offices flooded with certificates of one description or another! A lot of people do **** Im afraid. When you see the expense and time sacrifice people on TE go to in order to study for things 'properly', it's probably raised the stock of ****.

Thing is, most of these IT pros do not really visit forums like TE so they don't know that there are still people who really put an effort to earn their cert and not memorize the ****. I guess you can't blame them. They interview or they work with people who are certified but when you ask them questions about simple stuff they can't answer them properly. I know someone who passed CCIE written twice to renew his CCNP and don't know how to configure EtherChannel, NAT, and etc.
    Thing is, most of these IT pros do not really visit forums like TE so they don't know that there are still people who really put an effort to earn their cert and not memorize the ****. I guess you can't blame them. They interview or they work with people who are certified but when you ask them questions about simple stuff they can't answer them properly. I know someone who passed CCIE written twice to renew his CCNP and don't know how to configure EtherChannel, NAT, and etc.

It's a systemic problem in the IT industry these days. Heck, I have worked with CCIE's, good ones, who **** the written to recert every two years. I have worked with hundreds of IT pros over the years. Not too many have home labs. They think it's rather odd and the province of people with social problems :) I wonder how these folks got certified. Wait a minute..let me think ;)
    It's a systemic problem in the IT industry these days. Heck, I have worked with CCIE's, good ones, who **** the written to recert every two years. I have worked with hundreds of IT pros over the years. Not too many have home labs. They think it's rather odd and the province of people with social problems :) I wonder how these folks got certified. Wait a minute..let me think ;)

I got teased a lot by my previous colleagues about spending a lot of time reading books and building my home lab. They always tell me to go out and have fun. Nowadays, my social life is becoming a little active than it was last year so it has been cutting my CCIE written studies.
    I got teased a lot by my previous colleagues about spending a lot of time reading books and building my home lab. They always tell me to go out and have fun. Nowadays, my social life is becoming a little active than it was last year so it has been cutting my CCIE written studies.

hehhe..most IT professionals these days have a social life and fun. Reading books and experimenting with equipment all evening and weekends is a bore for 95% of pros. Far more interesting times to be had eating more food and playing computer games or whatever you want to do when you are out of the office and that's fine. The TE crowd is not your regular IT crowd. IT work can be taxing enough 9 - 5 so a lot of practitioners dont take it home. It's a wage and a means to an end. There is little training on workstime. IT has become a mass employer these days, so most people just treat it as a job. I remember in 2003 explaining to new colleagues in an office that I had a home lab and pointed at Scott Morris's home lab as an inspiration. Big mistake in their eyes anyway. The whole situation was treated with utter contempt. Plus a contract CCIE I worked with said people who do such stuff on personal time 'have social problems'. Oooh the stigma!
    hehhe..most IT professionals these days have a social life and fun. Reading books and experimenting with equipment all evening and weekends is a bore for 95% of pros. Far more interesting times to be had eating more food and playing computer games or whatever you want to do when you are out of the office and that's fine. The TE crowd is not your regular IT crowd. IT work can be taxing enough 9 - 5 so a lot of practitioners dont take it home. It's a wage and a means to an end. There is little training on workstime. IT has become a mass employer these days, so most people just treat it as a job. I remember in 2003 explaining to new colleagues in an office that I had a home lab and pointed at Scott Morris's home lab as an inspiration. Big mistake in their eyes anyway. The whole situation was treated with utter contempt. Plus a contract CCIE I worked with said people who do such stuff on personal time 'have social problems'. Oooh the stigma!

I never really cared about what other people say about how much time I spend with reading and/or other "geeky" things that I do on my personal time. Though, it gets embarrassing at times when all the people you work with know what you're gonna do during the weekends. Hah!
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I currently don't hang or display any of my certifications. Though, I just logged into my compTIA account not so long ago and noticed that they changed the layout on my certs. When I first got mine it was that dull blue ugly looking certificate. Now they've redesigned them and they look much prettier.

I printed them out, and then stuck them in my desk :) I'm thinking about buying some frames and putting them on my wall - but is it really worth it? I think once I pass CCENT and CCNA I'll hang them up. I wonder if Hobby Lobby offers a discount on multiple frames? :D
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    I never really cared about what other people say about how much time I spend with reading and/or other "geeky" things that I do on my personal time. Though, it gets embarrassing at times when all the people you work with know what you're gonna do during the weekends. Hah!

:) Very true.