IT related movies

Fernling306Fernling306 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I recently posted about computer related books and was interested in finding some about movies. I am not interested in documentaries of any type, but more interested in fiction like movies. I've seen The Net, Antitrust and Hackers, I really enjoyed those and would like to find more. I prefer movies that are from the late 90s and up, but very open to more.
Thank you very much!

Comments

• WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    There really aren't many, at least not in American cinema. Hackers or computer geeks are almost always used as a plot tool to move things along but rarely are they the core subject of stories. You can find all sorts of movies about "tech gone bad" as far as people using it for criminal activities or the "big brother is watching" angles if that interests you.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I love Sneakers.
  • Fernling306Fernling306 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I love Sneakers.
    This is type of thing I'm looking for! Just watched the trailer great looking movie with a great cast, thank you. :)
  • usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    try Operation Takedown
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The second Matrix movie displays Trinity using nmap to identify an actual vulnerability, which she proceeds to exploit. That's all I got, unfortunately.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Pirates of Silicon Valley, War Games, Sneakers, Hackers, Antitrust, Swordfish, Firewall, and some others I can't think of :)

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Enemy of the State, Die Hard 4, The Conversation (Gene Hackman)....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Try Falcon and the Snowman
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Three Days of the Condor was semi computer related...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Swordfish was decent for various reasons.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Harrison Ford in FIREWALL

Don't know if this is a good movie or not, I have only seen clips from it..

*Note: Looks like SubnetZero beat me to the punch.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Another one that I liked was Deja Vu.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not a movie, but I have to say the computer jargon I've heard in the CBS TV series Person of Interest has been pretty much spot on as far as context goes. It could certainly be worse!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pruspeter wrote: »
    WarGames!!!!!

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
    Oh yeah, Cloak & Dagger was pretty good too. An espionage movie involving a kid, his imaginary friend & the Atari 2600, but it's fairly dark. Here's a trailer for it narrated by Optimus Prime.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Firewall was a pretty good tech movie.

I do enjoy watching movies when I know what they're doing isn't possible, or at least hasn't been invented yet. And they're always typing like a mad man into a command prompt. Makes me LOL.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OfficeSpace and although not a movie, the British comedy "The IT crowd" is hilarious if you work in IT.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vinbuck wrote: »
    OfficeSpace and although not a movie, the British comedy "The IT crowd" is hilarious if you work in IT.

Ehhh The IT Crowd is a bit too wacky for me
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I have posted this scene from Firewall before but it seems appropriate to do so again....his FW rule is kinda suspect at best but hey at least they where using wire shark!

oh and lol @ a device named "Router"

firewall.wmv - YouTube
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    Not a movie, but I have to say the computer jargon I've heard in the CBS TV series Person of Interest has been pretty much spot on as far as context goes. It could certainly be worse!

beat me to it! the IP's they use on there are crazy, the recent one Finch used a cantenna! I love that show, fighting, shooting and hacking, what's not to love!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
    Yeah, there's some wacky things on Person of Interest (like the cellphone pairing that works with every cellphone apparently) and I read somewhere that TV shows & movies tend to use bogus out of range IP's to avoid displaying any real ones. I remember the makers of the Heroes TV show **** one person off by using a mocked up AOL Instant Messenger with a handle of something like ClairBear, and the girl who really had the account was bombarded by people asking her questions. But yeah, the cantenna thing was awesome!
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Harrison Ford in FIREWALL

Don't know if this is a good movie or not, I have only seen clips from it..

*Note: Looks like SubnetZero beat me to the punch.

You tell me... firewall.wmv - YouTube

Oh dear...
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Short Circuit, Tron, I Robot, Millenium a.k.a. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the Swedish version) where you see Lisbeth using Metasploit, The Social Network.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    arwes wrote: »

Awesome show!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How can someone forget Chloe from 24?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any self respecting computer geek who grew up with Arcades has to watch this

King of Kong

Loosely based on the true story, these are the kind of people we all hope we arn't like :) (oh and these arnt actors, these are the real people!!)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try "firewall" or "untraceable".
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How can someone forget Chloe from 24?
    She's in the Firewall movie with Harrison Ford. That movie has been cited many times already in this thread.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    +1 to sneakers, didn't care for Firewall. IT crowd is good for the lulz