LPI-1 or RHCSA?

relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been doing some research yesterday and today on the LPI-1 and RHCSA. I currently work as a system admin where we use VMware, Windows, and Linux (CentOS). I would like to obtain a Linux certification and someday move into a position where there is more Linux than Windows I also want to stay heavily involved with VMware and hope to get my VCP this year as well.

RHCSA seems like a better choice but I wanted to get a few peoples opinions on this though. The other question I have is, do I need to buy Red Hat or is CentOS enough to prepare for the RHCSA? If I do need to get Red Hat would the desktop version work for $49 or which version would I need to buy and what if the cheapest I can get it?

Comments

  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No need to buy anything. You can use CentOS 6.x, Scientific Linux 6.x or RHEL 6 server. There's really no difference which one you use. RHEL can be obtained for free from Red Hat if you register for 30-day trial. Any minor version is OK.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CentOS is just fine. The difference between CentOS and the "real" RHEL is negligible for the exam.

    Having done both I would say that RHCSA is more difficult than LPI-1 but also (in my opinion) more valuable. RHCSA is hands-on while LPI-1 is a multiple choice test covering a lot of things I never dealt with before (Modems, Printing, that kind of stuff). The choice is yours :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RHCSA is much better but much harder in my opinion. You have lots of work to do and time is short. If you dont know the stuff very well you will FAIL and the exam is pretty expensive.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No doubt RHCSA
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I just finished the first chapter in Michael Jang's RHCSA/RHCE book. The third lab of the first chapter is to ensure you are well familiar with the topics covered in the LPI-1. The idea he explains, is that the LPI-1 makes a good foundation when moving on to the RHCSA.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,251 Mod
    I second what everybody said, go for RHCSA and CentOS is enough.

    I'll also add, make RHCE your final goal, and work hard to get it. Make it a target this year to pass RHCSA then Pass RHCE. This is a great way to get a Linux administration job. Your VMware experience is very valuable and there are many jobs that require knowledge of Linux and VMWare


    Good luck icon_cool.gif
    Certs: GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE
    In Progress: MBA
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bodanel wrote: »
    RHCSA is much better but much harder in my opinion. You have lots of work to do and time is short. If you dont know the stuff very well you will FAIL and the exam is pretty expensive.

    I wouldn't say it's very difficult :). And there's plenty of time for RHCSA.
    I had technical problems during exam (en_US/qwerty setup on qwertz keyboard). I lost some 10-15 minutes setting locale on "all" environments. Then I screwed up one major task, and it took me some 30 minutes to troubleshoot (deleting some config files and reinstalling bunch of packages). I still had like 20 minutes to double-check everything after I was done.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My own path is to go for the LPI-1 and 2 exams then move on to RHCSA. I think LPI will give me the proper foundation to all things Linux which is why i have decided to follow this path once I have my CCNA.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AceRimmer wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's very difficult :). And there's plenty of time for RHCSA.
    I had technical problems during exam (en_US/qwerty setup on qwertz keyboard). I lost some 10-15 minutes setting locale on "all" environments. Then I screwed up one major task, and it took me some 30 minutes to troubleshoot (deleting some config files and reinstalling bunch of packages). I still had like 20 minutes to double-check everything after I was done.

    It wasnt very difficult for YOU. You've prepared for RHCSA but comparing RHCSA and LPIC there is a big difference. I agree that if you know the stuff you should have time to double check but for this you have to know what you're doing.
  • relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I am going to go for the RHCSA, I agree that the LPIC would be easier and give me a good foundation. However I figure that the RHCSA will give me everything the LPIC gives me and more. My goal this calendar year is to also get my VCP and finish my MCITP (only have 1 exam done). I don't want to take on too much but I feel that RHCSA is the way to go even if I have to work harder or study more.
  • ronni_linuxronni_linux Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have installed RHEL 6 from third party for free, but i dont know how to install packages from repositories for free, for example I have to install some KVM packages to proceed with my preparation for RHCSA exam. I was preparing from the book of M.Yangs, any ideas? Thanks
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,251 Mod
    you need to setup a YUM server. you don't need a subscription for that. Just setup a YUM http or FTP server.

    In the yum server, create a repo from Red Hat CD or image.
    Certs: GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE
    In Progress: MBA
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I have installed RHEL 6 from third party for free, but i dont know how to install packages from repositories for free, for example I have to install some KVM packages to proceed with my preparation for RHCSA exam. I was preparing from the book of M.Yangs, any ideas? Thanks

    As UnixGuy stated, you can set up a repository for packages found on your RHEL DVD. This tutorial can help with that:
    Howto Setup yum repositories to update or install package from ISO CDROM Image

    For packages beyond those found on the DVD, you will need a subscription (as Yuck pointed out) to the RHN. You can sign up for a 30 day trial for that. I believe you can sign up with this link:
    Red Hat | Evaluation software download
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Are we having fun yet? Mod Posts: 4,251 Mod
    onesaint wrote: »

    For packages beyond those found on the DVD, you will need a subscription (as Yuck pointed out) to the RHN. You can sign up for a 30 day trial for that. I believe you can sign up with this link:
    Red Hat | Evaluation software download


    This is true. Just note that for exam purposes, you will not need packages beyond those found on the DVD. You should know how to setup YUM as this is a very important part of the exam. Imagine if YUM doesn't work? you won't be able to continue with the exam. In fact, I remember two guys in the exam room who failed because of this. It's very easy, just make sure you know how to do it.
    Certs: GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE
    In Progress: MBA
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    This is true. Just note that for exam purposes, you will not need packages beyond those found on the DVD. You should know how to setup YUM as this is a very important part of the exam. Imagine if YUM doesn't work? you won't be able to continue with the exam. In fact, I remember two guys in the exam room who failed because of this. It's very easy, just make sure you know how to do it.

    Good call.

    As a side note, this can be found in chapter 7 of M. Jangs RHEL 6 study guide.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • lele24lele24 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, know how to setup YUM and also make sure you know LVM in depth. I was 5 months pregnant when I passed my exam and I cried so hard when I got my results. You must know what you're doing to pass but employers also know that. Well worth the time and effort. My next step, assuming I passed the CISSP is to look into the SELinux exam. Cheers and best of luck!
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    lele24 wrote: »
    Yes, know how to setup YUM and also make sure you know LVM in depth. I was 5 months pregnant when I passed my exam and I cried so hard when I got my results. You must know what you're doing to pass but employers also know that. Well worth the time and effort. My next step, assuming I passed the CISSP is to look into the SELinux exam. Cheers and best of luck!

    Lele, what benefit does the SELinux exam hold for you? I haven't seen it mentioned much, if at all.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lele24 wrote: »
    Yes, know how to setup YUM and also make sure you know LVM in depth. I was 5 months pregnant when I passed my exam and I cried so hard when I got my results. You must know what you're doing to pass but employers also know that. Well worth the time and effort. My next step, assuming I passed the CISSP is to look into the SELinux exam. Cheers and best of luck!

    Very nice, congrats on the pass. Has the RHCSA certificate helped you with landing a Linux-based job at all? (if you didn't already have one, that is)
  • lele24lele24 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks on the congrats :) I am looking at the SElinux exam because I have migrated to IT security and a part of my job is to harden Linux systems. I was not able to deal much with SE Linux so I would like to know more about it and the exam is a way of telling employers that I can harden Linux systems. At the moment I am awaiting my CISSP exam results.. 6 weeks is a long time to wait. I am also looking in to the Certified Ethical Hacker exam. The RHCSA is an exam that is no joke. You must know what you are doing to pass. Play with Centos and grab a study guide. Best of luck when you take the exam!
  • dwadwa Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what is your recommend for newbie,i know nothing about linux commands etc. LPI or RHCSA ?
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dwa wrote: »
    what is your recommend for newbie,i know nothing about linux commands etc. LPI or RHCSA ?

    @dwa,

    Linux+ > RHCSA > RHCE
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    lele24 wrote: »
    Thanks on the congrats :) I am looking at the SElinux exam because I have migrated to IT security and a part of my job is to harden Linux systems. I was not able to deal much with SE Linux so I would like to know more about it and the exam is a way of telling employers that I can harden Linux systems. At the moment I am awaiting my CISSP exam results.. 6 weeks is a long time to wait. I am also looking in to the Certified Ethical Hacker exam. The RHCSA is an exam that is no joke. You must know what you are doing to pass. Play with Centos and grab a study guide. Best of luck when you take the exam!

    Saw that CISSP thread. Sorry to hear about the conditions, but hope you get good results soon.

    As for SELinux, I haven't run across to many companies using it in the private sector. I think a lot of places just find it too complicated. Which would make you an SME in the area!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

    Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
Sign In or Register to comment.