Options

Anybody attracted to Guild Wars 2 out there?

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
if you ask me, im impatiently waiting for this game like it was in the first. Thats why, i signed up for the beta invitation before release and waiting for it too. i hope my luck will win. icon_cheers.gif
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Back in the day, I was a member of a guild called Lords of the Dead. They recieved aphla invites and got to test the game in alpha, beta, and release. Stoped playing GW 1 because I joined the Air Force. If I had a gaming computer still, I would love to play it.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am sort of following it, tired of paying a subscription so this might be interesting. Play time has dropped a ton so I can't really justify playing a monthly subscription mmo.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Not really, no. However, I have a few friends who are probably gonna try it, so I'd buy it to play with them for a while.
  • Options
    Come on guyz, this game has no monthly fee. Its B2P like in the first game.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    No monthly fee, but they come out with a new $50 expansion every six months. I decided not to make the move to GW2 and instead wait to give D3 a try first.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Now that their is a release date for D3 I will probably be playing that, since it comes out before GW2. Although I probably won't be able to resist the temptation to try it out though. From what I've been reading it looks awesome!

Hey Vanquish are you a 3D1x2?
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I played the hell out of the original for 2 years. It's still a great game for no monthly fee and no Free to play/Pay to win crap like many other MMOs.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Will D3 have a monthly fee? For a $60 game I hope not. I couldn't find any details on the Web site other than, "Additional fees may apply."
  • Options
    GW1 released expansions which is fine with me because I know with Wow they released expansions almost every two years and charged you a monthly fee and hardly added anything in between except a raid here and there. D3 won't have a fee but will require an always on internet connection which might cause issues if you play while traveling.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hell yes to Diablo 3.

I've tried to get on the Beta Key frenzy in every possible way. I wasn't lucky enough to get a key icon_sad.gif

There's a few things that bother me, given the times - but it's not like I didn't see it coming:
    1. No wide-screen gaming
    2. Need to be online to play.
    3. no PVP at the start
    4. Not sure about 3D support (Not that I have a 3D monitor)

Although, im excited that its supporting the 2540x1600 resolution. I'll need to upgrade to a 30" monitor.

the only MMO i've been deeply involved in was World of warcraft - I had two Rank14 Rogues on the same server (Alliance and Horde) in Vanilla WoW. All that time I probably should've done something. Actually it gave me a kick in the pants to do something and not be depressed about being able to play WoW and not being able to find a McDonald's job. Then I landed a call-center insurance-support job, which led to a IT position in the same company. Yay!

I'd like to see how much bandwidth Diablo 3 consumes for gameplay. As I'll be playing via AT&T MiFi.

I'm hoping Diablo 3 doesn't become a Bot-Fest like Diablo 2.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    D3 won't have a fee but will require an always on internet connection which might cause issues if you play while traveling.
    People have been playing WoW on wireless laptops for years, so experienced gamers should know what to expect. I'm always surprised how many people play WoW over the wireless at my local Starbucks (which is down the street from a big high school).
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Hell yes to Diablo 3.
    Is that a pun? icon_lol.gif
    I'd like to see how much bandwidth Diablo 3 consumes for gameplay. As I'll be playing via AT&T MiFi.
    I'm guessing you'll get QoS throttled about three days into your billing cycle.
    I'm hoping Diablo 3 doesn't become a Bot-Fest like Diablo 2.
    I just ran across the term "multi-boxing," where people buy multiple gaming accounts and attempt to automate the playing of multiple characters to get more drops. It's technically not in violation of the EULA as long as actual bot software isn't used. Some people think this gives players with a lot of time on their hands an unfair advantage in the game, but I say it's just a legal way to generate more loot/swag to fill up the auction house.
  • Options
    Now there's an auction house. I can see that botting will probably become an issue- especially since we can pay cash for the items without going black market. The one thing that I ran into were the auto-pickup tools. Thankfully now there's not a use for it since your loot isn't my loot and we don't need to fight over clicking battles for pieces of gold or blues .

Yes it's a pun :P

I hope not, i'll end up monitoring the network use carefully to make sure. I'll try to figure out a 'per hour' figure. there might be some figures on the amount of data tx/rx but I haven't given it a honest look.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Will D3 have a monthly fee? For a $60 game I hope not. I couldn't find any details on the Web site other than, "Additional fees may apply."

It won't. But they may offer DLC goodies or items that you can buy.

I really dislike the 4 player cap. Should have been 5 (1 per class.)
  • Options
    makes it more difficult!

• Options
    People have been playing WoW on wireless laptops for years, so experienced gamers should know what to expect. I'm always surprised how many people play WoW over the wireless at my local Starbucks (which is down the street from a big high school).

But Wow is an mmo Diablo has a single player campaign is what I was getting at. I can play Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 1 without an internet connection.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I am also waiting for D3. Looking forward for that specific mark on the wrist/palm which I had during the D2 days...
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    I've been playing the D3 beta for a couple months now and its awesome! Needless to say if are/were a D2 fan you will love this one.

Sorry for going off topic...
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    I so want to give you negative rep... for being a lucky sob for being in the beta.

But, I can't find myself to do that to someone who also likes diablo games. I'll just grumble. :P

I guess this thread was pushed off Guild Wars and onto Diablo 3. Should we go back to Guild Wars? :)

• Options
    I like the artistic style direction that Guild Wars 2 went. I tried loading up GW1 a while back when I heard of the Hall of Monuments or whatever it was where you could earn some titles and such that carry over to GW2 but man that game has aged. I remember when I thought it looked better than Wow which it did but Blizzard did upgrade the engine quite a bit from the early days.
  • Options
    I so want to give you negative rep... for being a lucky sob for being in the beta. But, I can't find myself to do that to someone who also likes diablo games. I'll just grumble. :PI guess this thread was pushed off Guild Wars and onto Diablo 3. Should we go back to Guild Wars? :)
    Actually, i think the same thing with you as well. Who brought the people somewhere else?

• Options
    Guild Wars still looks great. It is a fun game to play solo, with a few friends or with many. They upgraded/improved GW1 so much over the years compared to retail.

My only issue is the 100s of skills that get re-balanced over and over every month or so. Keeping up with the flavor of the month builds is a chore.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    But Wow is an mmo Diablo has a single player campaign is what I was getting at. I can play Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 1 without an internet connection.
    D3 is only single player in this initial release. Some features, such as the auction house, require on-line access. I wouldn't be surprised if the random world generation feature required online access too. D3's MMO and PvP will come (much) later.

But really, I'm thinking Blizzard wants to get people use to online-only play mostly for sales and marketing purposes. All the other MMOs already have that level of access to their players.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    D3 is only single player in this initial release. Some features, such as the auction house, require on-line access. I wouldn't be surprised if the random world generation feature required online access too. D3's MMO and PvP will come (much) later.

But really, I'm thinking Blizzard wants to get people use to online-only play mostly for sales and marketing purposes. All the other MMOs already have that level of access to their players.
    from what ive seen in the beta you have to have internet at all times to play d3, with out it you go back to the splash screen

they say its for security... i still dont like it i loved the fact i could play d3 when i wasnt around a connection
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options

Diablo3 will ship with Coop mode. PVP is the only piece that is not being included at launch as they want to continue to tweak it. Diablo has never been a PVP focused game at all anyway, so who cares?
  • Options
    Basically, D3 online has the same requirements as playing D2 online: you need to first log on to battle.net. No single player mode means no hacking the save files with a D3 version of Jamilla's Character Editor. And most MMOs--including GW--have a PvP feature, so it make sense D3 would too.
  • Options
    My apologizes for having beta access, I think I got it because I have been so loyal to all of Blizzards games... probably to loyal.

Anyhow back to Guild Wars, has anybody read up on how you use different abilities based on what weapon your carrying? For example different attacks with a 2h sword and a 1h sword. I think it is a cool concept that makes sense.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely I will play GW2. I got bored of WOW after playing for so much and personaly I dont like the current state of the game. GW2 have so many things that others game dont have or failed to deliver properly. Its the only game that motivates me right now. :D
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    thread necro:

This game is awesome
    If you like exploring and just wandering around the map trying to find stuff this game is for you. The important thing to remember is forget most of what you know from traditional mmos.
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I wouldn't say 'forget most of what you know from traditional mmos' I don't think GW2 is exactly groundbreaking, but its very well done. I find myself probably equally as entertained as I was when I first started WoW. Its fresh, new and unknown which is pretty much whats attracting me to the game.

I won't go into spoilers for those who intend on playing it but I would recommend this game , as for someone like me who is noticing a lot less available play time the lack of sub is nice.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since this thread is somewhat active again, I bought GW2 last night...I like it. I was an avid WoW player for years, I also tried SWTOR. With my work schedule, I probably should not have bought it, I have tons of games still unplayed, but I like GW2 so far. I have played only about 2 hours though.