Options

Digi CM32 console server

Comments

• Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rsty wrote: »
    The manufacturer just says a standard serial null modem cable.

I was able to solder a RJ45-DB9 adapter with this pinout if anyone needs to connect to a male null modem connector (IP330 Olive, HP switches, etc.):

ftp://ftp1.digi.com/support/document...90000301_E.pdf - "DB9 Female Console Adapter" pg. 145

You need to strip out a gap in the wire to splice it. You will end up with 2 Y's. One going from 1 RJ45 pin to 2 DB9 pins and one going from 2 RJ45 pins to 1 DB9. My adapters were 28awg stranded, so it was very hard to work with. But in the end, I saved myself about 50USD, being that the adapters that Digi sells are very high.
  • Options
    ausmaniausmani Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How do I connect this device to my home network so that I dont have to be plugged in? I tried setting a static IP within the 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 range so that it could be on the same network as my home router. but then I cant even get into the box using the ethernet. (I was having a bunch of issues with the console so just decided to use a crossover and connect to the ethernet and 192.168.161.5) any tips or tricks or if someone could tell me their setup where I can just connect my CM48 (Ebay $130 shipped) directly to my home router and configure my lab while...lets say.. taking a ****.. figuratively speaking ofcourse. :p
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    If you want to connect directly to the Ethernet port with a cable from a desktop/laptop, you that cable has to be a RJ-45 crossover cable. That is how I was able to connect initially. You have to do the factory reset on it, and then make sure your desktop/laptop has the NIC card set manually to an ip address on the same subnet as the the default IP of the DiGi CM32. Once you do that, connect to the default IP of the DiGi CM32 with a web browser (https://192.168.161.5). From there you should be able to login with the default user/password combo, and change the settings.

From post #74.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    ausmaniausmani Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    From post #74.

Oh and thank you.. I found that a couple minutes after I posted the question. Hence the reason why I edited my post to my next issue. :) Any thoughts?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Patel128 wrote: »
    Do a lot of people in this thread do that? It is solely to be able to study if you are at work or just because you can? I have thought about labbing while I am at school, but wanted everyones opinions on why they do it.

I currently have my ASA 5505 configured with an SSL VPN. I use AnyConnect when I get to work and [thanks to Split Tunneling] it sends any traffic destined for my home network over the VPN. No need for port forwarding [beyond 443]. Plus, it allows me to connect to my Media Center DVRs securely (Remote Potato doesn't support SSL).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just ordered my Digi CM 32 Access Server from E-bay for $100.00 dollars. Any tips or advice for stuff I need for it like cables or anything else would be appreciated.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    rstyrsty Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

I figured I would share this in case someone would like to use it. I created a few scripts to be able to log into all my devices at once. One expect script to log into the console server and connect to the port which I configured as the argument. The 2nd script launches the tmux sessions.

digi.sh
    Replace 192.168.1.100 with IP of your digi telnet IP, 1st admin is username, 2nd admin is password, then connect via digi.sh [portnumber]... example: 'digi.sh 1' to connect to port 1 of your digi cm32.
    #!/usr/bin/expect -f
    set arg0 [lindex $argv 0]

spawn telnet 192.168.1.100
    expect -re "Digi CM 32 Login : "
    send "admin\n"
    expect -re "Digi CM 32 Password : "
    send "admin\n"
    expect "  ------> "
    send $arg0\n
    expect " "
    send "\n"
    interact

cisco.sh
    You can change this as needed depending on how many devices you normally connect to. I have 1 tmux session, consisting of 3 windows and 2 panes per window. You tab between windows/panes with tmux shortcuts.
    #!/bin/bash
    tmux new-session -n "window1" -d 'digi.sh 1'
    tmux split-window -d 'digi.sh 2'
    tmux new-window -n "window2" -d 'digi.sh 4'
    tmux split-window -t "window2" -d 'digi.sh 5'
    tmux new-window -n "window3" -d 'digi.sh 6'
    tmux split-window -t "window3" -d 'digi.sh 7'
    tmux attach

To connect to all devices in tmux script, just run cisco.sh.

Cheers!
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nice, I gotta say I haven't used mine for a while now, but will have to give this a shot :) Cheers!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi guys, I just wanted to give this post a bump.

Today I purchased a Digi CM48 on eBay for an offer of $25.00 shipped
    Here is the link. The seller accepted my $25.00 offer vs $40. icon_cheers.gif

Now it does say it has a loud fan. I am either going to take it out or replace it with a near silent one for $5.

JeanM, do you run yours without a fan? Or does anyone know the size of the fan in it?

Also, about port forwarding to access it over the internet,
    From my understanding, I have dynamic dns set up on my home router to associate my dynamic IP from my ISP to a FQDN name.
    Then I would have my digi CM on my home network, either via wireless or ethernet.
    Then I would set up port forwarding on the home router to forward port 22 traffic to the Digi's IP right?
    So I ssh remotely into my router via the FQDN from DDNS, then the router will let me talk to the Digi?

Lastly, has anyone used a wireless PCMIA card for this? Or whats the next best thing to keep it wireless? A spare AP in bridging mode?

Thanks
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    update to this post.

I was able to set up everything. I am able to ditch 6 console cables to my PC.
    Took out the fan like JeanM said in previous posts.

For $25 shipped, this is a steal!

Now I can ssh into each cisco device through the internet! muahaha
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, I just wanted to give this post a bump.

Today I purchased a Digi CM48 on eBay for an offer of $25.00 shipped
    Here is the link. The seller accepted my $25.00 offer vs $40. icon_cheers.gif

Now it does say it has a loud fan. I am either going to take it out or replace it with a near silent one for $5.

Mine arrived today. Packed rediculously well, wrapped in bubblewrap, then in a box with more bubblewrap. The fans don't seem any louder than anything else in my rack (just switches powered on right now, 3750's and 3550's). I factory defaulted mine to get in, but no big deal there. Manual is here: http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000301_G.pdf
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The funny part is mine came with a quiet fan. I guess the luck of the draw for offering $30 to the seller.
  • Options
    The funny part is mine came with a quiet fan. I guess the luck of the draw for offering $30 to the seller.
    Ya, I was confused when I got mine. The seller listed it as having a loud fan. It was just a tiny bit louder than a 2950. Nonetheless, I'm sure he/she gave me a good one instead of a loud one.

I still took it out, as I only have 7 devices going into it and only using it for ssh access vs monitoring and all that jazz it also offers.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    ayseafayseaf Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any one have idea about the console cable to computer , how I can get it ?
  • Options
    ayseaf wrote: »

Instead of a console cable, you use a normal patch cable from the console port of the cisco device to the Digi.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    ayseaf wrote: »

You will use all patch cables. Console cables wouldn't be used with the digi.

Use patch cables from the digi interfaces to the console port on your Cisco devices.

You can add your digi to your own home network and use a patch cable to the 10/100 port interface. I have yet to use the console port from the digi.

Really easy and simple. So simple, its hard to believe.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I reset the digi and connected it via rollover cable and patch cable. I can't connect through serial port or 192.168.1.100. Any ideas?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    techfiend wrote: »
    I reset the digi and connected it via rollover cable and patch cable. I can't connect through serial port or 192.168.1.100. Any ideas?

One idea I have is the old saying "Reading is fundamental"....

If you read the post just before you posted, I'm pretty sure you will find your answer. lol
  • Options
    DaddyWilsonDaddyWilson Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow. So you actually access the Digi's OS CLI via patch cable. Will try this as soon as I get home. I was curious as to why I could not connect via serial/COM port with my rollover cable. One still must question why the rollover/console connection does not work like a traditional Cisco device setup. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Ok. I see pics now that I'm looking at this with desktop view instead of mobile. Can you access the CLI with PuTTY?
  • Options
    Ok. Found out that you have to use crossover cable instead of a rollover in order to access via console port. Just attach a RJ45 to serial adapter to the cable then use the usual to USB adapter to connect to PC. Boom! I apologize if this is common knowledge, but I couldn't find this info personally, so hope it helps some.
  • Options
    Does telnetting directly from nic work in your case?

The docs say the default is 192.168.1.100.

I gave up on getting mine to work but I haven't tried straight cable to usb.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    nikalisnikalis Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Does telnetting directly from nic work in your case?

The docs say the default is 192.168.1.100.

I gave up on getting mine to work but I haven't tried straight cable to usb.

Make sure the pc you are telneting from is in the same network
    To Script or not to Script, that is the question.

MSCA [ ] 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412
    CCNA [X] 100-101 [ ] 200-101
  • Options
    For sure it was on the same network, times out.
  • Options
    see , the ip add is 192.168.161.5 , you need to setup your network card on pc 192.168.161.6 255.255.255.0 , also you need crossover cable between Ethernet port and pc , let me know if it works ?
  • Options
    Where did 192.168.161.5 come from?

I haven't tried crossover, will try it this week.
  • Options
    this is default ip after you reset it , email me at ayseaf@gmail.com
  • Options
    Just checked in again and realized I stated the wrong cable. lol. I meant crossover to USB. I had been away too long at that point. Works from the console port. I can try to post a video or more pics of this if people feel it would be beneficial. From there you can use any telnet/SSH client like PuTTY. Now the problem I'm running into is I get an initial login request followed by a message saying the device is ready, but I never get prompted to login again like I've seen in videos. I've tried a combination of keys, but receive no response. Have factory reset this thing like 5 times as well, but can't get past that part. Any ideas?
  • Options
    where is the videos ?
  • Options
    Youtube. Here is one URL.

https://youtu.be/tl3TLywCUPk

I can make a video of my experience when I get home. Any ideas as to why I'm not prompted to login?