Options

Virtual Machines used for testing connectivity in CCNA Labbing??

OscedumirOscedumir Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
This may sound like a stupid question but I want to know if it's possible for virtual machines to be setup on different networks of a CCNA test lab so as to test connectivity between networks (i.e. pinging). If it is possible then how can I achieve this?

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use GNS3 to do the virtual machines - and it does it remarkably well.
    1. You'll need to install virtual box seperately and setup a computer using virtual box.
    2. Go into GNS3 and setup virtual box: Edit > Preference > VirtualBox. Goto "VirtualBox Guest" tab > In the Identifer Name drop down box - select the computer you setup within VirtualBox.

You cant have the same computer multiple times. You can setup many computers within Virtualbox itself, and have it run inside GNS3.

It's pretty freaking awesome to be able to watch pings, transfer files :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Wow VERY cool didn't know you could do that in GNS3! I've fiddled around with it just a little. I'm sorry I didn't specify but in my case I have an actual physical home lab and I want to know if it can be done using virtual machines on say for instance a server running virtualbox or vmware. Would I need multiple NIC's on that server or how would that work?
  • Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    you need multiple nic's or nic with multiple interfaces.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Can virtual box assign certain vm to certain nics or better yet certain ports on a nic?
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    For the physical computers - yeah, you'd need more than one network card. I'm pretty sure of that, I haven't done that so don't quote me.

Anyways, they're only 10 bucks for a single port on newegg.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    fsanyee wrote: »
    you need multiple nic's or nic with multiple interfaces.

Thanks for the replies, now to find some reasonably priced 2 or 4 port NICs that will work on win 7 x64 icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    If you have the space, just get 4 seperate cards, instead of investing in a space-saving $192 nic. $40 Vs $200

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wired Networking, Network Interface Cards, 4 x RJ45

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    If you have the space, just get 4 seperate cards, instead of investing in a space-saving $192 nic. $40 Vs $200

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wired Networking, Network Interface Cards, 4 x RJ45

Holy smokes even the 2 port NIC's are pricey!! I think i'll stick three of those single port NIC's in one box and another 3 in a different box that should be enough for now.
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have two built in NICs and then I bought two of these from Newegg: Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR Gigabit Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI 1 x RJ45

I have 4 physical NICs total. I have 3 separate VMs each using a physical NIC and it works very nicely.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    you could get a card (or two) that supports vlan tagging (801.q) and put the virtual machines in different vlans and provide a trunk link.

VMware Communities: Windows 7/vista and VLAN Tagging...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    THIS_IS_AMAZING! I never knew I could do this. Had to update GNS3 to get the Vbox option to show up. And I've got plenty of VMs to make this work well with.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    you dont have to update. in older versions of gns3, you can connet the routers to the virtualbox host with a cloud.
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    I use this adapter from TRENDnet that goes from USB to RJ45. I have two of them and it's great being able to use one as a TFTP server. The $17 price is even better for each adapter. I'm thinking about getting 2 more.

Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to 10/100Mbps Adapter TU2-ET100: Electronics
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Don't forget to look on ebay as well if you want to go the physical route - 4port nic | eBay
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    JeanM wrote: »
    Don't forget to look on ebay as well if you want to go the physical route - 4port nic | eBay

Those are really inexpensive quad port nics. I just have to make sure they're supported by Win 7 x64.

Thanks!
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you just want to test basic connectivity through pings, why not attach a couple of extra routers in GNS3 and turn off IP routing to act as hosts?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    If you just want to test basic connectivity through pings, why not attach a couple of extra routers in GNS3 and turn off IP routing to act as hosts?

My lab is an actual physical home lab and I don't have that many physical hosts to test connectivity between the networks that have been setup. That's why I was thinking more along the line of using virtual machines in a box in conjunction with multi-port NICs to act as the hosts and test connectivity that way.
  • Options
    R-LegendR-Legend Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using a few of the Cisco 1230 Access points for host, they are excellent. It can also be used for HTTP, Telnet, HTTPS ect... Also if you have an access sever it make everything better. Got them on E-bay for $10 each.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    R-Legend wrote: »
    I am using a few of the Cisco 1230 Access points for host, they are excellent. It can also be used for HTTP, Telnet, HTTPS ect... Also if you have an access sever it make everything better. Got them on E-bay for $10 each.

Great idea there. You can also find 1600 and 2500 series routers for about the same price.