Options

SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert Review

Comments

• Options
    AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    I was thinking about trying this out myself. I am playing around on my own using free resources until I feel comfortable enough with the language and some more free time. I am using 2.7.

The Python Tutorial — Python v2.7.3 documentation
    Learn Python The Hard Way, 2nd Edition — Learn Python The Hard Way, 2nd Edition

But after reading this I am excited to get this thing going!

Thanks!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I've been looking through the new O'Reilly book Think Python on Safari Books Online. It looks like a very good comprehensive introduction to the Python language and programming mindset for people looking to learn Python from a computer science perspective.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    My friend who's a Python/Perl/PHP/everything pro recommended this for Python, he said it's really good:

Learn Python The Hard Way, 2nd Edition — Learn Python The Hard Way, 2nd Edition

The HTML version is free. I'm very interested in the SecurityTube course but would like to brush up on Python first.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Yeah, LPTHW is pretty good (excellent for a free resource). I actually used it to supplement my learning with SPSE. But it is by no means a pre-requisite. Vivek's introduction to the basics is very solid.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hope to start this course after finals in a few weeks. All the reviews I've read have been good and I think this will lay some groundwork for me before I take OSCP. Don't really want to waste my lab time learning python.
  • Options
    JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to recommend Violent Python hand book to help with your python scripting course. I have found it to be very useful working with it for the last week. The course is very difficult for me as a beginner programmer. I also did the LPTHW first. This book seems to give me a paper copy of the same code that the instructor uses. It's very handy to watch the videos then look at the book and code. It is virtually the same code but with a few twists. It also has code to download for the book for each tutorial. It also has some serious, serious hacks and security concepts we need to know. Take a look at the table of contents before buying and you will see what I mean.

So far I am just about at understanding the module 3 marks. I have watched all the videos, but after watching them. I really had to go back to the beginning and start actually learning programming. I have also designed my first text based 20 question and now getting into the loops, threading, sockets and networking ECT. ViVeck has fixed the forums now so they match up. I may have had a part to play in that with some heated venting/Crying.

I have also purchased an ASUS N66U router to install python on like he describes in module one. I am so excited to get this working. It will be very interesting to program some scripts to run on the router vice the computer.

Let me know how your course is going.

Violent Python

Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers: Amazon.ca: TJ O'Connor: Books
    Jinverar, TSS
  • Options
    Jinverar wrote: »

I have also purchased an ASUS N66U router to install python on like he describes in module one. I am so excited to get this working. It will be very interesting to program some scripts to run on the router vice the computer.

You don't need to have a router to connect to Ubuntu Server via SSH (as described in module 1). You can just set up a virtual machine and connect to it with an SSH client like putty.
  • Options
    You don't need to have a router to connect to Ubuntu Server via SSH (as described in module 1). You can just set up a virtual machine and connect to it with an SSH client like putty.

the_hutch

I am not sure if I confused the situation but I know how to connect to ubuntu server via SSH, or any OS for that matter with SSH via putty. What I meant is that I am excited to install python on the router and run my scripts from the router vice computer. I don't think I said anything about SSH and Ubuntu. Can you confirm that’s what he meant? That we can run python on our routers and lets say program our TCP scanners or sniffers to run off the ASUS N66U vice the laptop. Either way I am finally happy I moved from the WRT54G DDWRT to the ASUS. The dark night rises again. The dark night ASUS router I mean haha

I was mostly trying to recommend the book.

J:\>
    Jinverar, TSS
  • Options
    Hmmm...perhaps I should revisit module 1, cause I actually don't recall anything about routing technologies. I just assumed you were referring to the SSH connection because SSH is often used from a remote system. Sorry for the confusion.

In any case, I just got a copy of Violent Python...haven't gotten a chance to look through it yet, but thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    JeordyJeordy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Just finished module 3 of 10. Still loving the course. There has not been a single time that I have had difficulting understanding him (and I personally hate dealing with outsourced helpdesks). If anything, it amuses me. I think the part I get the biggest kick out of is that he uses the phrase "curly bracket" (in his indian accent) instead of saying parenthesis. First two modules, you don't do much security stuff. Mostly just python fundamentals. But in module three, things have really taken off. Best thing about module three is integrating scapy into python script. This allows you to build and inject packets into a network based on conditional circumstances. I can now write all kinds of scanning tools, man in the middle arp poisoning tools, syn flood tools, smurf and fraggle tools, TCP session hijacking tools, and many others. All of this, based on what I learned in module 3. However, to be clear...he DOES NOT teach you how to program most of the tools that I just mentioned. He teaches you how to integrate packet injection into script. You are going to need a basic understanding of how most packet based attacks work (I learned everything I needed to know here in CEH...and much of it is covered in Sec+ too). Then you have to know how to apply it.For example, you need to know that to make a MITM attack, you need to spoof ARP reply packets to your two victims. Or for a syn flood, that you need to select an open TCP port and then continually blast that port with SYN requests from different client addresses, recieve the SYN ACK, but then leave the connection half-open without sending the subsequent ACK reply. But once you learn how to inject packets at will, or based on circumstance...the sky is the limit. And once again...I just finished module 3. Can't wait to see what else is in store.
    How much of a security background do you recommend one have before taking the course? I'm fairly new into the IT security / pentesting waters and was thinking that this might be a good/solid intro and foundation. I'm not sure how comprehensive the modules are with regards to explaining the security aspects, but external research would obviously be supplement. Does this sound feasible to you, or would it better to get my feet wet elsewhere (would you recommend having the Sec+ before doing this?) Also, you haven't mentioned the "Online Live Labs' that they list as part of it, have you experienced it yet? It sounds like most of the practice you do is with/against a VM that you set up yourself...? Is there any practice, or place to test the tools you've made, that they provide? (Example: How could you be sure the MITM attack you made actually works?)Thanks for all the current and future info you provide!
  • Options
    Jeordy wrote: »
    How much of a security background do you recommend one have before taking the course? I'm fairly new into the IT security / pentesting waters and was thinking that this might be a good/solid intro and foundation. I'm not sure how comprehensive the modules are with regards to explaining the security aspects, but external research would obviously be supplement. Does this sound feasible to you, or would it better to get my feet wet elsewhere (would you recommend having the Sec+ before doing this?)

This course is NOT a good introduction to security. It has a very brief introduction section on the basics of programming in Python, but that is about the extent of the basics it covers. It assumes you have a decent understanding of security concepts already.
    Jeordy wrote: »
    Also, you haven't mentioned the "Online Live Labs' that they list as part of it, have you experienced it yet? It sounds like most of the practice you do is with/against a VM that you set up yourself...? Is there any practice, or place to test the tools you've made, that they provide? (Example: How could you be sure the MITM attack you made actually works?)Thanks for all the current and future info you provide!

I haven't mentioned the live labs because there are none. Perhaps you are thinking of MSFE (Metasploit Framework Expert), which does have live labs. The best way to test your tools is in your own virtual environment. Get on distrowatch.com to download some linux ISOs. Get on technet and download some trial versions of windows operating system ISOs. Then download VMware Player or Oracle VirtualBox and start getting yourself geared up for testing.
  • Options
    JeordyJeordy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for info, I was thinking it might be a bit too involved for an intro after reading into it a bit more.

About what "level" do you think would be a good point to be at to do this? The rough roadmap I've gauged from reading around the forum seems to be:

A+
    Network+
    Security+
    MCSA:S
    MCSE:S
    CEH
    SSCP

So do you think inserting this class into the path after Security+ would be a good spot, or...?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Assuming you actually get a solid grasp of most of the concepts covered by Security+, I'd say you should be good to start SPSE.

Also, a side note...your road-map for career progression should be unique to you and your interests. There are very few certs that require others as prerequisites. Pursue what interests you and make your own path. Good luck man.
  • Options
    Chard26Chard26 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I have picked this course up over the weekend. Got the link for the forums and download for it today. Excited to start this as I have wanted to learn Python for couple of years now.

I will be integrating this with my Checkpoint and Juniper training ( work related) in the new year.

Cheers
    Chard
  • Options
    blaker00blaker00 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly,

This is a 'very' tough cert. I have a CCNA, CCNA-Sec, CCNP, CCNP-Sec(secure v1) & have read ccnp firewall, CISSP. This by far is the toughest because its practically starting over from the beginning if you're not a coder. What I have done to get to module 3 and understand what I'm doing, is this.

1) python the hard way
    2) Python CBT Nuggets
    3) stackoverflow
    4) trial and error (probably would rate this the first)

If you dont come from a scripting background expect to spend a few months just trying to figure out the mechanics of the language. On module 2 he gets into threading and Queues. For me this was the most complicated thing to figure out. I think once you 'get it' the course becomes a lot easier.

I'd say the pre-requisites besides understanding basic scripting is probably the security+ cert. He expects you to understand basic concepts such as what a port-scanner, a firewall, man in the middle attacks, tcp/udp is... you know basics of security.

Regards

Blake
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm jumping back into the course now. I been talking with a buddy at work and realized I haven't done a cert in about four years. Also, with me hating my job a bit more then normal I know I need to get moving on something. This probably won't net me a job, but I need to accomplish something. My time line is to have it complete by April (which is when I start my Masters). I've been working through Code Academy, have LPTHW, and also purchase Violent Python which appears to correspond very well with the course. I figure with all of that and a lot of hard work/side research I can accomplish my goal. From there I plan to delve deeper into Python. I'll keep everyone up to date on my progress!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I purchased violent python as well. It helps a lot. I don't know if I'm ever actually going to take the exam for this though. I think I'll probably start OSCP before I ever get comfortable enough with the content to take the exam.
  • Options
    Violent Python is pretty good, but they do move really really fast. I just finished the first chapter and if it wasn't for the limited programming background I have I would have been lost (coupled with the Python I've already reviewed). I definitely want to take the cert though as I think it will definitely be worth something.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I think that it will be worth something in the sense that it is an obscure certification, which makes for a good talking point in an interview...and gives you a good opportunity to sell yourself. But definitely not the type of certification that I would expect many recruiters will be hitting you up for. This may change though, once its had a little more time.
  • Options
    You're definitely right on both fronts, it's a talking point and no recruiter will know of it. That being said, I do believe it will be more of an OSCP like cert soon enough. I got to see a talk from the security director at the Philadelphia Federal Reserve and he had said it was now a requirement (of his) that all members on his team be OSCP certified. Also, in some of the research they were doing (which I was stunned to hear they do security research) they were using python for rapid development. At the time, this cert hadn't been released though it had been advertised. I'm pretty sure he'd add it to his list of must haves.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    bbnetmanbbnetman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was looking for some reviews on this course before purchasing and you guys have been great with posting information. Thank you all for taking the time out to post your comments.icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    My review may start with this is not for beginners....first I want to tear out my eyeballs then fingernails.

Some motivation for SPSE is posting in this forum.

I lost a bit of interest due to the fun I am having with metasploit still. That being said something that I have found is a new tool to help me with the python scripting course. Just a basic word document of motivation.

Recently I started a basic word document with python technotes. I began the lectures again except taking more notes this time. I took notes from udemy, LPTHW and SPSE. Now I have just about made it out of the basics part again. That being said this technotes document is starting to form into something of a security book of spells that is helping motivate me. Maybe in the future we can trade spell books from other security wizards.

Communications can be a form of magic to some people.

Hope it helps

J:\>
    Jinverar, TSS
  • Options
    Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have not finished the course yet so I cannot give a full review of the course. However, at this point, I would recommend the course to anyone trying to get into security or anyone trying to sharpen their programming skills in python. It is definitely not for beginners IMO. It will lose you by the second module if you are new to programming, again, IMO. It has been fun so far. I would warn people to visit the course web page if you are having trouble with the homework he gives. Also, I find myself going through all the module videos before attempting the homework in the module. Is anyone else doing that?
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • Options
    Same here. I was surprised at how fast paced the course was. I took what I could from the course, but never took the exam. I will hopefully be able to apply some of the skills during my pursuit of OSCP, and then may come back later to grab the SPSE certification. Thanks for your thoughts though. Good to hear the perspective of someone as experienced as you are in the world of pentesting.
  • Options
    I've rebegun my studies as I want to complete this before OSCP. I've just about done module one and will post a full review on the module once completed. I have a couple of side resources to use if I get stuck on things, but I definitely would like to get to know the language very well because you can do so much with it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @the_Grinch have you picked up the Violent Python book yet? I was leafing through it recently and may grab it as something to read before this course. Along with the 5 million other things I want to do on my way to my MS and eventual OSCP...
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After having read all of the comments and knowing that I could fit what I know about programming on the head of a straight pin, where would you guys recommend starting to pick up some programming that will eventually lead me back to the security/pentesting track I want to eventually pursue?

Thanks,
    Gene
  • Options
    That's a tough one to answer man. All languages are going to have some similarities. Once you've learned a few of them, getting to know similar languages is a snap. So I'd recommend starting with one of each kind. My recommendations for getting started, though not necessarily in this order, are: (Note...there are a ton of different ways to approach this...these are just some suggestions)

- Batch or Bash scripting...(shell scripting is easy for most people because they've at least done some work in command prompt/terminal shells)

- Python or Powershell (Easy to learn object-oriented scripting languages for both Linux and Windows)

- SQL (Query Language)

- HTML (Markup language)

- Java (Development language)

- PHP (Server-side scripting)

That may seem like a lot...but once you get started, its hard to stop. And there is still a LOT of other languages to explore as well. C, C+, C++, C#, Perl, Ruby, BASIC, Visual BASIC, VBScript...so many others...

Really the best answer is take your pick...
  • Options
    As far as PenTesting goes...you need to be able to read and decipher nearly all of them. However, I'd recommend proficiency in Python and Ruby. And, if doing web app testing, Java, PHP and SQL are definitely helpful too.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Always remember that programming languages are tools; you must pick the right tool for the right job, and be aware of each tool's limitations.

Power shell and bash shell scripting are useless if you are using an OS that doesn't supports their respective shells. Java, Python, Ruby, and all .NET languages do not compile to native code, and require that run-time environments be installed before they can be used. SQL is meaningless unless you are working with relational databases. Javascript is tightly bound to the Web environment and, despite it's ability to encapsulate scripting languages, HTML is not a programming language at all.

To save yourself time and headaches, choose your tools wisely.