Options

SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert Review

13»

Comments

• Options
    InfosecDudeInfosecDude Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to share the good news that I am now a certified SPSE. Feels good - the exam was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Some of the class exercises were more difficult.

I was also quite a beginner to programming and Python - I just studied really hard. Think I put in like 20 hours per week. The SPSE really has helped me - I had a job interview last week and they naturally asked me questions on Python as I listed it as a skill. He asked me about parsing URLs for data and when I talked about BeautifulSoup etc. as in the course he was quite amazed. I am hoping I get the job. Till then off to working on the SecurityTube Linux Assembly class.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man! Good luck on the job!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have had this course for a over a month now and have been setting aside about an hour each night to practice but feel like I am getting nowhere. How long did it take for you guys to finally get it to click? I can decipher whats going on but having a really hard time actually doing the exercises. IE stringing thing together. is this normal? I have also done most of learn python the hard way.
  • Options
    InfosecDudeInfosecDude Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mayhem87 wrote: »
    So I have had this course for a over a month now and have been setting aside about an hour each night to practice but feel like I am getting nowhere. How long did it take for you guys to finally get it to click? I can decipher whats going on but having a really hard time actually doing the exercises. IE stringing thing together. is this normal? I have also done most of learn python the hard way.

Totally normal. I was new to programming in general and in the beginning the real uphill climb was to learn Python itself. Module 1 is good but definitely you need to include other books. My best resource was stackoverflow.com which is a programmers qa site.

Once I was comfortable with the language, the other modules were quick easy to handle. I had to pick up a little on operating systems like processes, threads etc. for Module 2, but too be honest that background is expected from someone doing a programming course.

Trust me - the first few weeks are more difficult, then it is all smooth. I've seen some students even make tools and post videos on them:

Spse Course Mitm Arp Spoof Tool Demo

Don't give up, I would rate this course as the OSCP for Infosec Programming.
  • Options
    I do have it and after reading the first chapter I will say it's not for the faint of heart. He moves very quickly through explaining Python, so I'd probably would go with Think Python before diving into Violent Python. I also have Gray Hat Python, haven't leafed through it just yet though.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Finished module one and it was pretty impressive. He eases you through the material and at first I thought perhaps this was a little too quick. But he goes on to explain that he's giving you the initial overview and will delve deeper into the various topics as you move along. He also stated something that my friend who is a Python developer (does it for a living) said, which was just start coding and then research as you get stuck. I think if colleges took this stand point, they produce more programmers as you can only do Hello World so many times before you want to kill yourself. On to module 2!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SecuritianSecuritian Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also just finished module one. I think this course is going to be very good. I also think it would help someone who is going to do the OSCP.
  • Options
    heterodynedheterodyned Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Folks,

Just registered for SPSE Certification will keep everyone posted on the preparations
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I"ve just finished the 3rd module. Until here the course is great. As others have already said you need to know some basics or the course will be very hard BUT, while I'm not a programmer- just created some basics scripts as needed until now, solutions start to come to me.
    If you are like me and you like to learn by doing then this is the course for you. I think that anyone who gets this course will be a very good at scripting in Python even if he doesnt work in infosec.
    In my opinion this is how a scripting course for a sys/net admin should be structured. Take the LPTHW first and you should become quite good after you finish this course.
  • Options
    r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I purchased this course last April, right after starting the OSCP. I need to get started back on this soon. That's on my to do list after I finish the eLearnSecurity Web App Pen Testing course.
  • Options
    Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bodanel wrote: »
    I"ve just finished the 3rd module. Until here the course is great. As others have already said you need to know some basics or the course will be very hard BUT, while I'm not a programmer- just created some basics scripts as needed until now, solutions start to come to me.
    If you are like me and you like to learn by doing then this is the course for you. I think that anyone who gets this course will be a very good at scripting in Python even if he doesnt work in infosec.
    In my opinion this is how a scripting course for a sys/net admin should be structured. Take the LPTHW first and you should become quite good after you finish this course.

I agree. I love the course but it is module 3 that can end up confusing people. It is the only module that is frustrating/confusing, however. I have been working on the course off/on since the middle of February. It is the best bang for your buck for programming. I just wished the site was a little better.
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • Options
    Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd update my original one. Starting up again with the plan to have this cert done by Feb 1st. I'll keep everyone updated on each of the modules as I complete them.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is on my short list for Q1 of 2015. Glad you are resurrecting the thread :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Looking forward to it! My SANS course went through Scapy, which I believe is also covered in the SPSE. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Complete Module 1 tonight. I noticed he starts off slowly, but then really ramps it up. The good thing is he iterates over and over again that you delve deeper further into the course. Also, which I liked, was he explained that this was great entry point to the language for which you could explore deeper after completing it. Definitely great so far!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!
  • Options
    dookdookdookdook Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started this course a few months back, but had only done "SOME" Python before, and had trouble learning some of the basics.

I then went through Googles Python Course (https://developers.google.com/edu/python/) which is fantastic for learning Python basics, with some great exercises to help you learn.

Now jumped back into the SPSE course, and am understanding it a lot easier :) Also currently in Module 1.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Black Hat Python is an awesome book that I am working through right now. The first chapter has you vode NetCat with python...
  • Options
    Yup I have Violent Python, Black Hat Python, and Grey Hat Python for after completing this course (or at least to supplement some of the topics).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dookdookdookdook Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished Module 1, and it was an OK "skim" of Python Basics.
    Module 2 also seemed to be little bits/things, but no real detail into them.

Module 3 - Just completed the first video, which is creating a TCP server, and connecting to it, and how the socket module works. AWESOME video, great detail, well explained, and some good exercises to get you to learn it all.
  • Options
    I decided to slow down a little bit and really dive deep into Python. My goal is to truly know the language and effectively make programs as it will be extremely important for work. Thus I am focusing on the basics and will then continue further with the cert. I am thinking I should be able to challenge the cert sometime in March.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I have been thinking of purchasing access to the videos pretty soon and I have gathered other python materials referenced in this thread so I have to ask...What made you feel like you needed to go elsewhere for the "basics" as opposed to continuing on with the material? Did it feel inadqueate for someone who is knew to python? I am still debating on whether or not I should purchase the material as a "student" or just purchase the videos....
  • Options
    The course is more the proficient to get you writing scripts in Python don't get me wrong. But in my case, I am looking at writing some pretty complicated stuff so a firmer basis in the Computer Science side is required.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Excellent! I will definitely check them out!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    The course is more the proficient to get you writing scripts in Python don't get me wrong. But in my case, I am looking at writing some pretty complicated stuff so a firmer basis in the Computer Science side is required.

Sounds good...Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    So far so good. I'm about half through the material I would like to complete. Aiming for March to have SPSE and more so a firm grasp on Python :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Seems I'm definitely learning something! Today I needed to write a quick script and was able to do it all from memory. Just had to read IP's from a list, ping them, and print the output to a file. Small, but definitely a good ego booster.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I have not been around posting online much in the past few years

I'm sure I bought the SPSE course nearly two years ago and I am still working on my python skills. I started with the SPSE and migrated all over the place. I jumped into basically every language for a bit then I found a wicked course on udemy with python scripting and networking which is listed below. I have stared the course below. my python skills have increased and I am writing basic python and doing intermediate challenges. I have been working with some twisted honeypots, and can write my own loops, functions, and classes. I thought I would create a helpfull list of some courses below that are helping me prior to taking the SPSE. Maybe it will help other people. The ones with stars are the most helpful

Udemy - python tutorial: python programming - build 7 apps **
    udemy - python beyond the basics - object oriented programming **
    Udemy - learn python for data analysis and visulization

udemy - learn python the hard way

code academy - python skills challenges ***

Meetup dot com I have been using to hit up some side project meetups and python groups. ***

I also got all the books Violent python, black / grey python ect...

Yes for me the SPSE has been very challenging however I have not given up year. I wrote a book on python and use it as my reference guide. The book is like 500 - 1000 pages.

Let me know if you guys ever end up writing the exam and good luck!!!!
    Jinverar, TSS