Options

Is mile2 known IT sec field?

hitm4n04hitm4n04 Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
they have cool certs like Certified Pen Tester Engineer that doesnt require 2 years exp like CEH , their site : Certified Ethical Hacker, Penetration Testing, Digital Forensics | mile2

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally I would find another company to get training from. None of their certifications are known in the industry. I have tried their material because I won a contest last year, I was very displeased with the material (at least 2-4 years old).
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Logically you'll want to know if employers value the cert. My official informal test is running it through Indeed.com

- Mile2: 0 hits
    - GIAC: 1449 hits
    - SANS: 1757 hits
    - CISSP: 8127 hits
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    hitm4n04 wrote: »
    they have cool certs like Certified Pen Tester Engineer that doesnt require 2 years exp like CEH , their site : Certified Ethical Hacker, Penetration Testing, Digital Forensics | mile2

Never heard of them. If you are looking for pentesting certifications, your main players are going to be CEH, OSCP, and GPEN. OSCP does not require experience. And in my opinion, that's the best entry level pentesting cert you can get.
  • Options
    Personally I would find another company to get training from. None of their certifications are known in the industry. I have tried their material because I won a contest last year, I was very displeased with the material (at least 2-4 years old).

To be fair though...I took the official CEH course and all of their content (especially the labs) was very out-of-date also.
  • Options
    the_hutch wrote: »
    To be fair though...I took the official CEH course and all of their content (especially the labs) was very out-of-date also.

Mile2 is still miles behind any security/ pen testing certification. I've spoken with their CEO Ray and he said they were going to update the material in the first quarter of this year...that didn't happen.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm going to disagree with the main body here. I found Mile2's CPTE material supirior to EC-Council's CEH. I cant say the cert itself will help you, but the material IMO, was good stuff.
  • Options
    izharizhar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have attempted CPTE and CEH both certifications, and according to learning point of view i found Mile2 Stuff much better then CEH. I am in IT Security industry since many years, CPTE and other Mile2 certifications have less marketing but these are well known certifications in industry.
  • Options
    It's odd izhar's one and only post on the forum is boosting about a certification/company that is pretty much unproven and unknown....
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The ISC2 has been well known for years as well as SANS/GIAC. Really fighting the marketing muscle here as well as the fact that these organizations have gone the extra mile (no pun intended) to become ANSI certified, etc. While you look at what E-Commerce (EC) Council or mile2 haven't bothered with either, so both are relatively unknowns, so to say from a proven it standpoint. C|EH was hot a few years ago but the lack of support and keeping materials up to date have lead to a reputation of being aloof at best within the security industry. Mile2? Never heard of them to be frank. Then again there are a number of really good training organizations out there with some very impressive material but still fairly unknown and no underlying certification backing them up. Again, I am referring to organizational certs like ANSI or similar.

So even though these organizations may have great material they are in reality just start up organizations and may not have a lot of staying power. Making them difficult to trust in the longer term.

- beads
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    izhar wrote: »
    I have attempted CPTE and CEH both certifications, and according to learning point of view i found Mile2 Stuff much better then CEH. I am in IT Security industry since many years, CPTE and other Mile2 certifications have less marketing but these are well known certifications in industry.

Something is fishy here.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    If you search TE for "mile2" you will find this discussion cropping up from time to time. Years ago there was a posting pointing to a Mile2 page bad-mouthing the EC-Council and their certs. Seeing as how Mile2 is now a CEH training provider, you'll probably have to find that link at www.waybackmachine.org.
  • Options
    It's odd izhar's one and only post on the forum is boosting about a certification/company that is pretty much unproven and unknown....
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Something is fishy here.

Definitely a spy...
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    The ISC2 has been well known for years as well as SANS/GIAC. Really fighting the marketing muscle here as well as the fact that these organizations have gone the extra mile (no pun intended) to become ANSI certified, etc. While you look at what E-Commerce (EC) Council or mile2 haven't bothered with either, so both are relatively unknowns, so to say from a proven it standpoint. C|EH was hot a few years ago but the lack of support and keeping materials up to date have lead to a reputation of being aloof at best within the security industry. Mile2? Never heard of them to be frank. Then again there are a number of really good training organizations out there with some very impressive material but still fairly unknown and no underlying certification backing them up. Again, I am referring to organizational certs like ANSI or similar.

So even though these organizations may have great material they are in reality just start up organizations and may not have a lot of staying power. Making them difficult to trust in the longer term.

- beads

I believe CEH v8 is ANSI accredited. It got some sort of accreditation, though I could care less about it. For my purposes, its about as useless as the CNSS certifications.
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I believe CEH v8 is ANSI accredited. It got some sort of accreditation, though I could care less about it. For my purposes, its about as useless as the CNSS certifications.

While I definitely agree with you, I have to admit that I do still list the CNSS accrediations, for each university I attend, on my resume. While I would probably do the same (i.e. list the ANSI accrediation on my resume), I'm not going to make an additional effort to move from v7 to v8 just because of it.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The CEHv8 meets the ISO/IEC 17024 Personnel Certification Accreditation. It's a quality assurance standard for the certification of humans in areas of skills and knowledge. You know, the kinds of stuff we talk about here at TE. ;)

EC-Council Achieves ANSI 17024 Accreditation for Its Certified Ethical Hacker (CEHv8 Certification » EC-Council News - Pressroom Events
  • Options
    raybfreeraybfree Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mile2's classes are NSA CNSS approved and feature the new Kali Linux distro in their most courses. I haven't heard when SANS or EC will be updating there content to reflect Kali. On a different note, for those who haven't downloaded and tried it, it's simply awesome. The best and most major change is that the platform went from UBUNTU to Debian. It does look a bit different but it's way easier to grab any tool you want from where ever you are at in the app. This beats having to navigate through a never ending pentest tree. I have entailed the download area for anyone who wants to give it a look. You have over 300 tools already integrated and best of all, it's still free: Download Official Kali Images | Kali Linux Official Documentation
  • Options
    I don't think we've ever met anyone with multiple M2 certs, what was your opinion of the CPTE?
  • Options
    I actually got both of them for free:). In short, the labs were good, the exam is a bit easier than I had anticipated. I used their exam prep guide to pass and as long a you use it you should have a good chance to get "er done". On a different note, I see that your in the military, did you know that they give the exam certs/CBT videos to you're guys in their September months every year at no expense? You have to be in the service, a veteran or active in one of the US government/state agencies. Here is some info but you'll be able to find all the details on the mile2 site in September: https://www.ethicalhacker.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7920.msg42330/topicseen,1/
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    I think the C)PTE is a poor man's C|EH... and you have no one in your corner to verify your 2 year experience.

At the end of the day you still need to know how to professionally penetrate the network.

I am still debating on this and I am trying to convince my Director to pay for the training ... for the C|EH
    if not ... because the course-ware is $450 vs. $800 ... the exam is $300 vs $ 500
  • Options
    The C)PTE course actually goes through the entire process of a penetration test which includes the report writing. In the course kit, they include a beefy 280 page lab guide that works, although you need to rent the cyber range or build the environment yourself, which is a royal pain. Their advance course C)PTC goes through pen testing layer 2-4 boxes like firewalls, IDS's and routers. I personally have not taken the advance class but it appears inviting. In any case, I have been part of over 30 pen tests the last 3 years and I did find the C)PTE to be competent.

As for the cost, the C|EH home study is $1500 alone ($800 kit, $100 app fee, $600 for exam) and for the same price you can get the C)PTE home study kit/exam plus the their cyber range and CBT video for a few bucks less than that. It's my opinion that although SANS is really good, their prices are unreasonable and unless your not having your company pay for it, your kind of out of luck.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    :D Owned.

Yes, I am aware of the M2 program, I viewed some of the CPTE course ware a year or 2 ago. I found it to be better than EC-Council's. In my mind a comparison in order would go like this:

Security University QEH/SA
    CPT
    mile2 CPTE
    EC-Council CEH.
  • Options
    QEH is an emulation of the CEH so I would drop it down above C|EH and place SANS GPEN on top. SANS does have the most robust pen testing program with out a doubt but they aint the long ranger any more in that space. Certification programs all over the world are starting to gain some serious steam as the market space is getting more familiar with that discipline.
  • Options
    Thank you for advise ....

As you can see I have the Mile 2 fundamental certifications... and I have a year access to C)PTE program. I am my director is mulling over which is more credited and what will help become a Security Analyst for the company I work for. She and other directors don't want to loose me, because I am not scared to jump in an help on any issue. I don't care if it isn't in my job responsibilities ... if I can fix it ... I will fix it and I have t plead with an Engineer to take over a ticket or when the help desk is bombed with calls I will clear the queue.

If your wondering what I do I work in a Data Center and the Network Operation Center... I deal with DR/BCP a lot

sorry for the little rant ...

Again Thank you for your opinion. Have a happy weekend

I will meet with my director on Monday.
  • Options
    so far Mile2 Customer Service experience has been awesome and very prompt(same day or next day replies). EC Council ... it takes days or weeks to get a respond.

I asked a question on E|CSS and the C|EH 2 months ago and the communication as been bleak and bland.
  • Options
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    thats par for the course i'm afraid.

and I am not going to throw my money to a company who doesn't communicate
  • Options
    so far Mile2 Customer Service experience has been awesome and very prompt(same day or next day replies). EC Council ... it takes days or weeks to get a respond.

I asked a question on E|CSS and the C|EH 2 months ago and the communication as been bleak and bland.

Hmmm, who did you call for the EC E|CSS / C|EH courses? On the norm, the customer service is dictated by the company that's offering the classes. Did you try the Training Camp (U.S.) or Firebrand (Europe)? Not that I think the EC classes are technically palatable but these organizations have spent much time and resources developing labs EC failed to develop themselves. Either way, give one of them a ring and I'm sure customer service will be grand. Good luck.
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a Mile2 class a few years ago.
    I learned more from the other students than I did the instructor.
    The lab to pen-test against on the last day(to get your cert) crashed about every 10 minutes.
    I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    I am still waiting for a response ... still waiting .. still holding my breathe
  • Options
    Quit waiting for CEH and move on. There a lot of options such as SANS, Offensive Security and mile2. They all have their pros and cons but all eventually lead to the same road. The big differences are the costs. What I like about these companies is that they all have a certification track for different penetration testing disciplines. If I were you, I'd pick one of those tracks, put my head down and go for gold. Good luck!