Options

Thoughts on Harvard Extension School?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bmy78bmy78 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jaclynn, thanks again for your well-thought-out reply. I'm much more inclined to HES, especially how I see you are satisfied with the program.

Also, thanks for the Udacity tip on Discrete Math. I've signed up for the course. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up--it's been awhile since I've been involved in mathematics.

Yeah, the more I think about HES, the more I like their course offerings. For me, I've been trying to reconcile short term vs. long term goals. My short term goal is to find some sort of entry level IT job. A+ and Network+ certs could help me out with that. So could taking a couple of routing/networking courses at the local community college. But as I view the long term--what I want to do with my life--the HES curriculum really seems to match my interests. NJIT IS, while I'm sure its a good program, may not be what I'm looking for. Honestly, I'm not sure because I haven't been able to view curricula/coursework online like I had HES. Community college coursework while useful would be a short term fix for a long term problem. I think HES is the way to go.

I'm also looking at their professional certificate in software engineering. It looks like its being offered for the first time this fall. Take 5 courses (all of which can be online) and you can earn the certificate. I think some of the classes can count toward the ALM, though I'm not sure. That's something I have to verify. Any thoughts on it? Software Engineering Certificate | Software Engineering Courses

Oh, and regarding the whole "HES isn't the REAL Harvard thing"...I'm more concerned with what I can get out of the program. I don't see any quality programs near me that offer the same thing. Well, maybe Penn State's program. Otherwise, programs are too vague or too expensive.
    2012 Goals: A+, Network+ by the end of the summer; one other certification before the New Year (haven't decided on MS or Cisco, or something else)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My vote is still for CMU. It's a better degree for IT than actually going to the real Harvard. It's expensive, but any good MS program is at least a bit pricey. If the justification is there at all it will pay for itself. Unless you really dislike the curriculum compared to HES, I would think about it as a long-term goal.

If you're looking at software engineering, there are probably better online degrees, but I don't see anything wrong with getting that from HES. Keep in mind software engineering is very different from IT, so there's a big difference in what you choose.

If your short term goal is to find entry-level IT work, I'm not sure any Master's degree makes sense right now. I honestly don't see an MS or MLS in anything IT related as the right move for someone with little or no experience. I literally would not hire a candidate with an MS degree and no experience to do helpdesk work based solely on his or her education. The education is nice but it does not prove aptitude or skills, and I need one or the other, preferably both, even for entry-level work. It helps show aptitude but it's wholly unnecessary for the entry-level.

You have the right approach to go after certifications, however. You don't need any specific education to get those, and I don't think it makes any sense to take classes for that, to be honest. If you want to go after CCNA maybe a networking class would make sense, but for A+ or Net+ I'm really of the opinion that you should self-teach. Really, the more I look over this thread, I just don't see a Master's as the next step for you right now. Obviously you're free to make your own decision, and I encourage you to trust your own instincts, but if you're looking at short-term goals of career improvement, focusing on specific technical skills -- certifications or not -- seems more logical than a Master's. Long-term prospects make a Master's good, but it would be better to do that part-time for working. Nothing is more valuable than the work experience you'll gain from your job(s).
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    bmy78bmy78 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CMU looks to have a great program, though it costs 64K. Compare that with HES's 20-25K. The question remains: is it worth double, perhaps almost triple, the cost?

I keep hearing about positive remarks from those who have attended the program @ HES. So from my perspective it seems that the quality is there. I've attended continuing ed programs from other national universities (e.g. NYU's SCPS) and while I learned much, I also felt I wasn't particularly challenged. I'm going to get a sense that I'll be challenged at HES. I'm sure I would be at CMU as well, though again, the cost factor is an issue.

Secondly, I'm not sure I would get accepted at CMU's MS in IT program. While I have experience in other areas, I do not have the requisite 3 years in IT needed to attend the program. HES's enrollment depends on your performance in three classes. I think that would be a bit more manageable.

Again, I'm not knocking CMU -- it seems like a really great program, though I'm not sure where I fit into it at this moment in time. And perhaps that's where I am right now. I don't have experience in IT, so I'm trying to figure out HOW to get experience, and what would qualify me for positions. Currently I'm studying for A+ (I'm taking the first test in a couple of weeks; I'm confident that I will pass it) and Network+ by the end of the summer, or more likely, the end of September. From there, I will land an entry level IT position somewhere. After that, I'm not sure where to go. Networking or programming are where my interests lie at the moment.
    2012 Goals: A+, Network+ by the end of the summer; one other certification before the New Year (haven't decided on MS or Cisco, or something else)
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bmy78 wrote: »
    I don't have experience in IT, so I'm trying to figure out HOW to get experience, and what would qualify me for positions. Currently I'm studying for A+ (I'm taking the first test in a couple of weeks; I'm confident that I will pass it) and Network+ by the end of the summer, or more likely, the end of September. From there, I will land an entry level IT position somewhere. After that, I'm not sure where to go. Networking or programming are where my interests lie at the moment.
    A+ and Net+ and a four-year degree should be more than enough to qualify you. Self-studying for those should really be your focus. Gaining actual skills and certifications at this point are what's going to qualify you. Whether you pursue a graduate degree at CMU or HES or something else is actually pretty trivial. You don't need a degree at all to break into this industry, and a graduate degree isn't even that helpful. It's helpful much later in your career, but right now the focus should be on getting the certifications and skills that get you a job and get you experience.

I have to say that networking and programming are very different fields. Obviously there is some overlap and you'll need knowledge in one area for the other, but at the end of the day designing and configuring networking solutions is very different from writing programs. Both are high-demand fields in which you can be well compensated. It would be wise to really figure out what you want to do now, as the career paths can be very different.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    ptilsen wrote: »
    If your short term goal is to find entry-level IT work, I'm not sure any Master's degree makes sense right now. I honestly don't see an MS or MLS in anything IT related as the right move for someone with little or no experience....

This. Master's degree is supposed to be advanced training in IT, ideally with breadth and depth components. Master's degree isn't the ideal way to break into the IT industry. Just get your foot in the door (get ANY job in IT), and move from there. You can always pursue any degree once you have that job. Certifications will bring a better short-term ROI, and will greatly help getting your foot in the door without the financial burden of an expensive degree. Don't worry a lot about qualifications, they're just a means to get you a job and help you advance, they're not even pre-requisites to most jobs in IT.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    bmy78 wrote: »
    That guy is an idiot. Does he not realize he is judging the whole school based on his tiny sample size? Geez...

I'm just trying to determine one of three avenues I could take, after passing A+ and Network+ this summer...

1. Take a course online at HES. I'm preferring the software engineering track, but I don't have the math prerequisites. I would need to make those up. If I like it, work towards the ALM in IT degree (or their new software engineering prof. Cert)

2. Enroll in NJIT's MS in information systems program. I'm not sure how "technical" this is, or is it very high level design without delving into programming. Not sure if this is very useful without previous real world experience.

3. Take a routing course and a math course at my local community college. They partner with Cisco Academy so it coincides with CCNA.

Now to decide...
    which school does that sir.. Im in nj...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    The reason(s) I didn't want to attend this program was: Cost, The way you had to display the name and most important the fact it was MA instead of MS.
  • Options
    ChrisC109ChrisC109 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe Harvard Extension would provide a quality education. One indication of a quality degree could be to look at how successful are its alumni. Harvard Extension School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am in no way a career counselor or in position to give career advice. However when I determine which school to attend I scrutinize the school's academic programs, the reputation of the school and what its alumni have gone on to achieve after college.

Of course if you are choosing a college just to have its name on your resume you will probably find yourself disappointed later in life. But I believe an already skilled person who wants to advance their knowledge in their field of choice by attending a rigorous program by a college known for academic excellence will be in a very good position to be successful in life.
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Thank you for the link ! I will definitely join their masters once I can chalk out the time for it.

I already sent them a mail regarding a few things. I dont mind the one course in Harvard requirement. The only thing is do they give these Degree's for people outside of the US. I dont mind flying down and staying there for a course.

Anyone outside of the US doing the course ?
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    The HES stuff seems to have very little to offer networking people.