Options

Are the members of TE in the minority when it comes to certs in the workplace?

2»

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I personally like getting certifications that capture my experience and drive me in the direction I want to go.

This is where I am personally. I'm no longer at a point where I feel I have to justify myself with certifications, but at the same time, if I have requisite experience working with something that is a highly valued skill, I will try to certify if I can find the time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    blargoe

That's probably the best strategy in your career. No need to waste time and money on certifications that bring no return. Focus on the ones that capture the knowledge you enjoy and that will transition you into that dream role.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    onesaint wrote: »
    Out of the folks I know the two that are all cert'ed up have the highest paying jobs in completely different areas of IT. Maybe that's due to ambition, the certs, or just luck. I can't say.
    It not just one thing; it's all of those and more. People are always looking for the single, "golden ticket" to success. The one thing that will make it all happen for themselves. In reality, success in anything a combination of many factors (training, education, experience, who you know, etc.) plus timing (opportunity) and just plain luck.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    agreed, JD. I forgot about timing, but was just thinking about it. It's a very big factor, be it when you entered the workforce and what new developments were happening to something more finite as what was on your resume when a particular job was offered. Some positions are only open for a few short weeks before they are filled.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just based on the IT guys I met at networking events and in IT volunteer roles(in MN), I can say that certifications are seen as an option. Most of the IT pro’s I have met seem them as a lot of extra work, with little ROI.
    Most of the IT guys I have met would stop at the A+.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    @NetworkStudent

I agree a lot of them had A+ and nothing else. I've seen that a lot even on some managers. I guess they started on the desk or in some other team and promoted up through the company.

It seems that most people look at certifications as keys to open doors and once the door is open there is no more need for the keys. You already have access.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    N2: You know my view on certs, I dont believe in em or want em, but... if the company is paying for them and paying me more for having them then it's a win win situation. This is the only way I'd be certified.
  • Options
    DR hard to argue you with that strategy.

BTW gratz on voice!
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Thank ya sir..
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most of the people that I work with have no certifications and got their job based on who they knew and/or past experience. When I asked a couple guys how they got enough experience to get the job they had, they provided me very generic answers, built servers for a large company, managed desktops for a large company, but their experience had 100% nothing to do with what their current job roles are.

I am almost in this conundrum on what would push me forward networking with people or getting more certs. I have ran into situations where a company wouldn't hire me because I haven't worked for a large company before or that formal education in something wasn't enough. Which then throws me back into the conundrum. icon_mad.gif
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    htebazilehtebazile Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The DoD 8570.01M requirement mandates certs for privileged users of DoD assets, so everyone I work with is certified at least to the level they are required to be - but only one person I work with has gone above and beyond and strives for additional certs. Others talk about getting more certs, but they haven't acted on it.

Since I'm not getting much out of my current job, as far as new skills, I'm trying to make myself more marketable with certs and education (starting M.S. degree next week), so that when I leave my job, I have something to bring to the table.
    ~ elizabeth
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    undomiel wrote: »
    We only have just barely enough to maintain gold partnership status with Microsoft.....

^^ same here. We're required to get certified to maintain partnership with vendors. Sales people use our CVs in tenders, so we're asked from time to time to get certs like CISSP, VMware, PMP,..etc.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com