Options

"You'll never amount to anything in IT"

13»

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, for me, it's a matter of intent.
    Well, the good news is that you are self-aware icon_smile.gif

I guess it all depends on the situation as well. There are many times when I have chosen to take an offensive tone but that is usually a risky calculation so I can illicit a particular response. For myself, I don't mind being the person with that reputation because I also counter it with empathy and praise for colleagues and customers. So the perception that I've cultivated makes me the person that my employer puts into situations with difficult negotiations with belligerent customers (usually their lawyers) or I would called on to represent my line-of-business on internal conflicts with other corporate or internal businesses.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I dont think I've ever been dogged for my tech skills but i do have personality clashes quite often due to my sarcastic nature.

healthyboy: 45K living at home is great.. 45K supporting a family isnt.. - I dropped out of highschool too, I also have 2 kids and a wife to support, working on getting my GED next week, because I hate having to lie on the application.

Rogue: It's tough with regard to taking care of the fam... I'd encourage you to seek a second job to help support them and keep looking... I had to support the famly on $14/hr for a awhile.. it's tough.. but manageable.. get something to eat damn.... :) good luck
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    paul78 wrote: »
    Well, the good news is that you are self-aware icon_smile.gif

I guess it all depends on the situation as well. There are many times when I have chosen to take an offensive tone but that is usually a risky calculation so I can illicit a particular response. For myself, I don't mind being the person with that reputation because I also counter it with empathy and praise for colleagues and customers. So the perception that I've cultivated makes me the person that my employer puts into situations with difficult negotiations with belligerent customers (usually their lawyers) or I would called on to represent my line-of-business on internal conflicts with other corporate or internal businesses.

Oh, I'm still a force to be reckoned with, and I don't fear confrontation. In general, I treat people the way I want to be treated - I'm direct and honest, but try to temper it with a bit of compassion. It's just a matter of learning when to apply tact and subtlety, and when to just go full-auto.

My overall philosophy is thus - there are very few problems that can't be solved with the suitable application of force. The key word is suitable. Sometimes you have to use the shotgun, sometimes the sniper rifle is a better choice. I used to be an all shotgun kind of guy hehe
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    You a contractor, or actually fulltime employed? Because yeah, civvy contractors in a war zone can make some paper. Of course, there's that entire being away from friends and family thing, not to mention the insurgents who want to kill you!

Yea contractor. I have been offered GS positions before but generally the pay doesnt translate well. At 24 years old I am not ready to settle in working one place for the rest of my life hoping for a promotion every 7 years. I figure I need to just keep moving up then consider settling down somewhere when my upward progression plateaus.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    How the hell did you get 200K a year? I don't know if CCIE could actually crack 150K, maybe side business makes that possible?

While over 200k is mostly due to hazard pay, I was making $120k with just an MCSE stateside before I came.

Having held several jobs that payed much higher than resume would imply I am worth I can tell you the reason behind it is because the jobs I have had were far less about my technical skills and much more so about the person I am. A lot of jobs that pay really well do so because the person is being trusted with the businesses reputation in customer facing situations. Historically all of my jobs have been customer facing, high impact, we need this fixed now kind of jobs. Companies are willing to pay well for a person that they can trust in those kind of situations to remain calm, keep the customer happy and fix a problem quickly while covering the companies ass. This kind of person and personality is very rare in IT.
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know if CCIE could actually crack 150K
    I will add that a good, personable CCIE should have no trouble cracking $150,000.
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this is why doing end user work is very important than hiding at the back playing with a firewall
    MiikeB wrote: »
    While over 200k is mostly due to hazard pay, I was making $120k with just an MCSE stateside before I came.

Having held several jobs that payed much higher than resume would imply I am worth I can tell you the reason behind it is because the jobs I have had were far less about my technical skills and much more so about the person I am. A lot of jobs that pay really well do so because the person is being trusted with the businesses reputation in customer facing situations. Historically all of my jobs have been customer facing, high impact, we need this fixed now kind of jobs. Companies are willing to pay well for a person that they can trust in those kind of situations to remain calm, keep the customer happy and fix a problem quickly while covering the companies ass. This kind of person and personality is very rare in IT.
  • Options
    I will add that a good, personable CCIE should have no trouble cracking $150,000.

I will add that I think that is a lot of the problem with people in IT. People say things all the time in this field like "Man I don't get it I have my MCSE and VCP4 and I can't get a job making more than $40k a year." Its easy on a forum to say things like "Wow thats crazy you should be making at least $60k" but without meeting these people and seeing what kind of person they are it is hard to say if there is a good, not technical, reason they arent getting hired for higher paying jobs.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod

I was asked on about day 4 how old I was here- unfortunately, I just wasn't prepared for it. I told them the truth obviously, but some people were very surprised when I told them I was 25 (87 Model I was called ha). I think the "IT Grays" in the hair, technical knowledge, married w/ kid on the way, etc all made them think I was a bit older. Not sure how to recover from this but continue to make myself an asset and contribute- but I am hoping this won't impact my progression here in the future.

Don't worry about it. I'm 27 and have more experience than all the 40+ yr olds I work with at the moment. If you have the knowledge, experience, and confidence, they will come to you for help
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    MiikeB wrote: »
    A lot of jobs that pay really well do so because the person is being trusted with the businesses reputation in customer facing situations. Historically all of my jobs have been customer facing, high impact, we need this fixed now kind of jobs. Companies are willing to pay well for a person that they can trust in those kind of situations to remain calm, keep the customer happy and fix a problem quickly while covering the companies ass. This kind of person and personality is very rare in IT.

+1

this is a very important skill.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    High cost of living, high unemployment, apartment renting that's more than my car bill, I'm the sole breadwinner I'm paying 2 cars, car insurance, gas, just got my car out of the shop and hers needs to go in the shop because it's just not right...

I'm paying close to 1k in car bills - not including gas/oil changes/upkeep.

That is your problem right there. Don't buy car(s) you can't afford. Your priorities are way out of whack.

Also why does she even need a car if she isn't working and contributing financially? Why **** money into a car for her? Even if she was working, or the excuse is "so she can try and find work", why can't you share a car? Lots of people do it. I've done it, it can suck, but having 2 cars is not a necessity. BTW, an apartment/house SHOULD cost more than your car(s)!

If you like being mobile and hate living in an apartment/house so much, ditch the cars and get an RV. You'd be paying about the same for one, and at least you'd have an actual bed to sleep on.

Also get a mailbox at a place like the UPS store... then you get an address with a Suite number, which gives more of an appearance of having a place than a P.O. Box would, and stop telling your employer and everyone you work with that you're homeless.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Oh, did I mention I make too much to get any help government wise? Bills don't count :P Eh, whatever. It's making me a better/older/wiser man.

If you make too much for government help on $12/hr as the "sole breadwinner" than I take it you aren't married. That comes out to less than $25k/yr, which would be more than low enough to qualify for a number of things WITH dependents (a non-working wife for example). As a young married E4 in the Military many years ago I didn't make much more than that, and I qualified for a lot of government programs.

Being stupid with your money doesn't make you a better/older/wiser man, it just makes you an older/poorer man.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    @Rougetadhg, Love ya buddy but I have to agree with Everyone. I wouldn't pay for an extra car unless she was working or making the attempt to work. If you got married, that would actually qualify you for a whole slew of government programs as well as lower your taxes. Check out Craigslist. I don't know where you live in SC but from what I've seen on CL, you can get rooms for rent for anywhere between $300-600. It doesn't have to be fancy. It just needs to be a safe place for you to lay your head. Think of it as an investment for your IT career: You'll have a place to study in private and set up a home lab :) Good luck
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Our cars are used. cheap. I'm not spending money on a new dodge charger. My paid-for corolla was totaled by another corolla. I admittly went out and found myself an RX-8. Those were better times, financially. I promptly sold my beloved for a different used car. I bought a car that she could drive (she didn't have a license at the time, and couldn't handle a stick shift when I needed to go to the hospital at 2am). I Bought a used 08 Jetta. I was raised on the "If you don't have money for it, you don't need it." Which sucks when trying to buy a car. No one here would give me a car, even with 5k down. That coupled with I didn't have any credit at the time, short work experience- I needed to buy something, so the RX-8 was what I found. I went to a good many dealerships. Since then I've found out that Title places sell cars on the cheap.

Still with Hind sight, I'm glad I bought the RX-8, still. It's a beautiful sports car, and in a stick shift to boot. Wonderful experience. a Mistake. However, still well worth it. If I had could rewind time, I'd do it all over.

She needed a car because of where we live and shuttling back. Mostly though, we live in a small suburb between cities. She looks for jobs in both cities (It's where the jobs are), while I work between them. My job offers me hours that we would normally wouldn't have - and managers at my job have it out to make sure I don't stay late at work. It actually worked out for the best as my car was in the shop for about 2 weeks while trying to figure out why the car was having problems starting up. She has an old beetle, and I have an oldish Jetta. It was a better circumstance to have two cars instead of 1.

I do actually have an PMB with the UPS store! I get my packages there. Mostly because of what you said: It does give that appearance I have a physical address. I use the number as an apartment number - suite number, if I feel like feeling fancy. Except for those that are in the know of the area really well, it slips past unseen. It's a great all around place. Someone picks up my mail and I don't need to worry about things missing. Good people work there. Just wish they were open and I could pick up my mail 24/7... otherwise it's a great place. I do recommend buying one. Someone picks up your package, and not just anyone you may not know.

An RV would be a little more oblivious that it's a mobile home? I was going for something that doesn't stick out as much as a giant slab of a home :) I have, however, checked out buying a larger, older vehicle. Thinking van, or large SUV. I haven't spent time to go out and physically look at these vehicles as I don't have the money to find a camping vehicle.

As far as telling people - I don't tell everyone- I don't make it known to people I have physical contact with. "everyone" doesn't count. Techexams has a sort of anonymity. I'm sure this is why we don't know where people work - because then anything they say can be used against them at work. I try to make sure people don't exactly know where I live. I tell first boss -once- because I want to him to know what's happening. However Since then I've also told him that I was moving across town in a one-room apartment with more windows... Which isn't a full lie ;) My second boss knows, but he's also more so a father figure to me than a boss. Which is to say he's been helping me, guiding me to be better than I am.

I'm not married. She's my fiance. I want to be married once, one time. Not a do-over. If I had to do a do-over, I wouldn't do it again and just fly solo. I don't have any children either. Dependents would get me a lot of help, but I'd rather not pop out children for that sake. If I have children it's going to be for a reason other than "I need help."

As far as pushing to be married to make money, I don't want to have a family under those desires. I hear of mothers preaching to their young girls down here that if you pop out kids, you'll be alright. Really I work in a company that employs mostly women. So I get to hear their conversations.

I plan on marrying her - in time. I just want to make sure I can be with her more than a few years or months. I'd want someone to stick beside me during the rough times and not give up. A woman is supposed to help make a man stronger, yes? Well, she helps. This is why I'm also trying to make sure her credit is somewhat protected by paying for her car. The car is in her name, so I don't have to pay for it, I choose to. At some point, I'd like to get a house and having decent credit would be better than have a repo on her name.

On her defense, she it trying to find work. I push her to. It's either "You get a job so we can get a semi-decent wedding" or "Drive through Las Vegas Wedding". I've been threatened at work to be fired if I couldn't make it on time, all the time. If She didn't try, I would have a deeper issue - I would kick her ass to the curb.

I admit I was stupid with my money. While I worked throughout school I never had bills, never needed anything as everything was supplied. If I needed a car wash, it was washed. Gas? No problem. Hit a deer? I just had to walk to the closest Wendy's and ask for a cellphone. That should've been a clue to buy a tracfone, but I didn't. I'm learning. I've been taking the reins of my money to write down what I spend, where I spend it. I've made sheets for excel tracking my pay, bills, bills paid, when bills are paid, gas spent. I've been tracking all of this since well.. 2 years now.

Iris: Apartments are starting out when I was looking a year ago at 475, in a bad-crime, see the police lights every other week area. I had the cheapest landlord in town :P otherwise, I would need to qualify for Section 8 housing, which falls back to government assistance - which I don't want under the circumstances. I would qualify for Section 8 - with a dependent. It's a pride thing. The landlord raised his prices (per new couple that moved in) to 525 for a 1 br/1 bath. Craigslist shows places around where I live, but to get to those places is 40+ minute drive.

@Everyone: You have some fantastic ideas. Thank you for suggesting them. Rep earned! If you have anymore ideas that I could use, or could lead me to find useful. Don't hesitate to bounce even the stupidest thoughts out my way.

Irish gets rep because Irish gets rep. I need to make a macro to give rep to you, Irish. Edit: I can't give you rep, Irish.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Rogue, I know how it feels to be over extended and tapped out. It's really tough and you seem like a really good-willed provider. I know you want to take care of your fiancee but you to balance that with being practical. You can't take care of anyone until you take care of yourself. It doesn't matter how well your car shifts or how nice it looks if you're too poor to sleep in a bed.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man you guys are still here? get back to the books and personal skills.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    At the time I was thinking "Woo, New car" and tried to get that. I wasn't really thinking about the future - Actually I was making 3 payments paying month to try to pay it off quicker. I had a second job, had to quit because of 24hour gigs at my career

I don't have a sports car anymore :P I don't know if Jetta is considered a sportsy car though.

Given this is the first woman that could put up with me / I could put up with. I'd like to try to keep her around. I advised her already about moving away, and furthering my career - which she's okay of doing.

Actually I'm not really complaining about the car sleeping too much. It's still a roof, for what it's worth! The last time I had a room to rent, I got screwed over by people not wanting to pay their portion. Or unable to show me the bill when I asked to see how much it was. With those experiences I'm skittish about sharing rent with people. I'd just like somewhere safer to sleep at, is all. Otherwise, it's actually quite comfortable. Like I said - I get to look up at the sky, and take a deep breath. It takes a little bit of work, but it could be worse. For me, that would be at home, sleeping at my parents house. Which I guess is still free rent and utilities, but otherwise it's not for me.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just typed a whole long thing about your pride, homeless, and sleeping in your car situation. But I figure I'm not going to bother to post it you seem ok about your current situation. All I'm going to say is if thats how you want to continue to live your life thats on you buddy. Its just like my dad would say "everyone has to make there own path in life".
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Rogue: If you have a kid and a wife to take care.. I dont know how much you make but have you looked into extending your W-4 deductions? You can claim 8 on them which will take almost zero taxes out and you can still do the EIC at the end of the year with the kid... you'll still get money back.

This is how I rolled and still how I do it... but now I have 2 kids.. meh :)
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Umm, he has no kids and no wife. She's his fiancèe.
    He's learning about money and life management, much like we all need to/are/have done.
  • Options
    You know I love you, Rogue. Sorry to go motherhen on you. I worry about my friends :) Sometimes I'm unbearable and I know it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    I'm "ok" with it as it's a means to the end. I have a career-ish, and Im making it work. I'd spend more time in the car if need be to make sure I can supply myself with equipment and study materials. Not really happy to be in the situation, but I'll take that over jobless and back at home. It's more so looking at the bright side of things. There's enough depression in the world, I don't need to add to it! :D I'd like to blow the interview away with my skills and lab that'll make Scott Morris blush. ...Okay that's a stretch, but you get my point.

I don't have a wife (fiance) and child (knock on wood). If I did have a child, I sure as hell wouldn't be in the car! I'd rather raise little persons in a home. Forgo the white picket fence and 2.5 kids and a dog. Just a nice place to live. Safe. Warm. Etc.

I'd rather make what I have work, I feel if I can make -this- work. I make -that- work.

• Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    ^ Hey Iris are you going for your masters? and is that CCSP the Cisco certification?
  • Options
    I forgot I had the CCSP on there. No, it's a really really really lame Citrix exam that my ex boss made me take. Thanks for reminding me. I need to remove it

@Rogue - Do what's best for you but just be careful. You're a smart guy and seem really eager to learn. I don't want anything bad happening to you. :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    healthyboy wrote: »
    My job is not a low level support job(helpdesk is and i am not helpdesk) I am responsible for way more than that and probably more than you and I will be fine when I move up,

As long as I am determent and love what I do (IT) I will be fine, I made it so far without it

*Determined

Per your thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/76546-i-do-not-like-my-company-they-treating-me-like-baby.html)
    "I hate my current company,
    they treat me like a baby and think I am capable of nothing."
    "I am disapointed I am thinking of job hoping what do you guys think, i do not find my work challenging and I asked for more complex and interesting projects but all I got was small stuff that doesnt even matter."

healthyboy wrote: »
    well i wont hire you for lieing on your resume,

simple as that

*Lying
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lol Talk about going for the throat.
  • Options
    You're right. I don't really want to spend my time fighting with Healthyboy and we're getting off the original topics of this thread. Sorry.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chrisone wrote: »
    You know what this thread reminds me of doing? sitting back and watching the show while having popcorn lol!

When someone has to say this...that's usually a good cue that a thread is about to die.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can we not engage in such frivolous and utterly useless arguements please - (UN)HEALTHYBOY.

This thread is about to die a unglorious death.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
This discussion has been closed.