Options

NetSimK ; VLAN configuration

2»

Comments

• Options
    huafisthuafist Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lantech wrote: »
    I didn't realize that GNS3 emulated switches as well as routers and that 2950s don't support ISL. DOH

It emulates basic, stupid switches. In order to get something akin to a catalyst, you have to set up a router with a 16-port ethernet card and not use any of the routing functions lol.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    huafist wrote: »
    It emulates basic, stupid switches. In order to get something akin to a catalyst, you have to set up a router with a 16-port ethernet card and not use any of the routing functions lol.

As with many Catalysts, it's up to you whether to use it in L2 mode with 'no ip routing' / 'ip default gateway a.b.c.d', or to use it in L3 mode with 'ip routing' / 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d'. You can verify which mode you are in by running "show ip route" among other options.
    Is the error in switch1's config or in the router's config?
    Switch 1's configuration.
  • Options
    As with many Catalysts, it's up to you whether to use it in L2 mode with 'no ip routing' / 'ip default gateway a.b.c.d', or to use it in L3 mode with 'ip routing' / 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d'. You can verify which mode you are in by running "show ip route" among other options.

Switch 1's configuration.

Thanks. I'm looking into it now. Do you have anything to add to my understanding of how this works?

***EDIT***
    I was able to make Switch 1 ping 192.168.1.1 by adding a route to 192.168.0.1 - that makes sense, because Switch 1 does not have a 1.0/24 IP address assigned to any interface - I expected that behavior.
    I still, however, am not able to get Switch 2 (which has 192.168.1.3 assigned to it) to ping 192.168.1.1 through the VLAN trunk.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    huafist wrote: »
    I still, however, am not able to get Switch 2 (which has 192.168.1.3 assigned to it) to ping 192.168.1.1 through the VLAN trunk.
    Aha! I see the issue. Work your way up to OSI model--it's helpful when troubleshooting. Prove L1, then L2, then L3 is working. If you have trouble, show what you've verified in this thread. Once you determine what layer the problem is at, it's easier to pinpoint the cause and remedy it.

Also, in your Switch2 configuration--

> ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

Only one of these two commands should be there. Try to figure out which one, and more importantly, why? From the previous issue as well, this appears to be a gap in your knowledge.
  • Options
    I found the error about the time I posted :)

Thank you very much for all of the help. Taking ICND1 on Monday, and probably ICND2 in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Aha! I see the issue. Work your way up to OSI model--it's helpful when troubleshooting. Prove L1, then L2, then L3 is working. If you have trouble, show what you've verified in this thread. Once you determine what layer the problem is at, it's easier to pinpoint the cause and remedy it.

Also, in your Switch2 configuration--

> ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

Only one of these two commands should be there. Try to figure out which one, and more importantly, why? From the previous issue as well, this appears to be a gap in your knowledge.

Yeah I saw that - I think that happened because I got frustrated and was just throwing crap at the switch haha. I pulled the latter command out.

And yeah, it is a gap that I'm trying to rectify ; This is the first time I've set this type of scenario up, so I knew I would run into something; I'm usually able to find it without help though :)