Options

Apple/Samsung Verdict

2»

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I understand your point, but these are just some of the things which I get irritated about. It may not be a design flaw and may have workarounds like you said :) BTW you forgot the battery life icon_lol.gif I have an Android phone and my battery life is at max 2 days with light to medium usage.
    Regarding proprietary interface/Software I was talking about the apple charger which cost me a bomb, software to convert the movies and songs to play on my ipod. Now they are comming up with a new USB slot
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Post- verdict opinions on the net abound. Patent law experts generally agree with the verdict, general public agrees in rare instances. Guess who matters more when it comes to selling products.
    Jobs hated Android so much since he was likely scared of being Microsoft- ed again, the way Microsoft took away point-and-click and windowed GUI and build an empire on top of it although Apple came out with such a user interaction before MS.
    Apple started expanding its list of phones to ban from US, now it included latest-n-greatest Galaxy (S III) and some speculate that by the time eventual ban takes effect, Samsung will come out with S IV... which, according to those that closely follow Samsung's expansion, might very well be built in US (Samsung invests billions in a new plant in Texas)... while iPhone5 (and future iterations) will more than likely continue to be built in Asia for some time to come...
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    varelg wrote: »
    Jobs hated Android so much since he was likely scared of being Microsoft- ed again, the way Microsoft took away point-and-click and windowed GUI and build an empire on top of it although Apple came out with such a user interaction before MS.

You will concede to the point that Apple "stole" the GUI from Xerox, right?

Jobs' issue with Android probably stemmed from Schmidt, when he was CEO of Google, being on Apple's Board of Directors and having access to much of what the iPhone would look like...

Guess who will pay for all of this litigation when the dust settles, and Samsung drags out not paying this $1.5 Billion...oh yes, the Apple fans....paying $100-$200 more for iPhone 6 when that comes out....mark my words.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just like this little clip of Steve jobs :)

Steve Jobs stealing ideas Before & After Touch Screen Iphone Android Galaxy smartphones Apple - YouTube

his views before and after the IPAD on "borrowing others ideas :).

And don't get me wrong I am not bashing Apple or Steve, but this is what happens, in science it is encouraged to use and build on others ideas, where I work we share results as they come in before we have a change to publish them so other people don't have to wait to do there experiments. And I mean around the world on public forums. The biggest and best steps come when people build on each others ideas, rather than hiding away in there own holes trying to discover the same things alone.

the full talk that expert came from is here.

Kirby Ferguson: Embrace the remix | Video on TED.com
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Mine! Mine! Mine!
    This is what happens when a company steals from a company, patents it then sues another company who stole from them.

This is what happened when you let a company patent rounded corners...
    Blame a dysfunctional patent system for Apple vs. Samsung verdict - Los Angeles Times
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    off topic:
    I am buying a Galaxy Note II as soon as it is available, this is the only device that I really wanted to buy ...
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I completely think the verdict was ridiculous. That is all. I cannot believe that there was even a case...people take ideas from others all the time
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    It seems apple is a big baby that is crying for more milk. Samsung shouldn't have created devices that are somewhat similar to their competion, come out with your take on cell phone design instead of mimicking a competitor.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I wonder who patented left click? Or how about CTL+V? This is how trivial a patent for "Pinch and Zoom" is to me.
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I wonder who patented left click? Or how about CTL+V? This is how trivial a patent for "Pinch and Zoom" is to me.

I agree wholeheartedly with you.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316

+PLUS REP to you good sir. thank you!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What I learned about this case was how little actual information being talked about online had anything to do with the case. I have seen blogs talking about how only one of the jurors had any experience with patents, or how most of them knew little about tech. I think there was a lot of "reaching" by tech blogs based on very little actual legal information.
  • Options

There are plenty of these patents. That is why Microsoft makes more from Android than the Microsoft phones (supposedly). Microsoft licenses stuff to Android. Microsoft has sued and mostly won patent lawsuits against all the big Android phone manufacturers.

So I do find it amusing when I see on the different tech blogs "I won't buy Apple I am buying Microsoft Surface" when Microsoft went around playing mob boss also and says basically "Hey pay up for "protection" if you know what I mean *crack knuckles*"

Microsoft, LG Strike Android Patent Deal - Windows - Microsoft news - Informationweek
    Microsoft said Thursday that it has reached a deal with LG under which the South Korean electronics manufacturer will pay license fees in exchange for Microsoft's pledge not to sue it for using Google's Android and Chrome OS software in its products.
    Financial details of the agreement were not revealed. Microsoft has long maintained that certain components of Android and Chrome OS violate its patents, and has struck licensing deals with numerous vendors that use the Google mobile and desktop software in their gadgets.
    Microsoft said the deal with LG means that 70% of Android-based smartphones sold in the U.S. are now covered by its licensing program. "We are proud of the continued success of our program in resolving the IP issues surrounding Android and Chrome OS," said Gutierrez.
    Microsoft launched its IP licensing program in 2003, and to date has struck more than 1,100 deals. Other companies that are paying Microsoft for the right to use Android or Chrome in their products without fear of a lawsuit from Redmond include HTC, Samsung, and Acer.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    There are plenty of these patents. That is why Microsoft makes more from Android than the Microsoft phones (supposedly). Microsoft licenses stuff to Android. Microsoft has sued and mostly won patent lawsuits against all the big Android phone manufacturers.

So I do find it amusing when I see on the different tech blogs "I won't buy Apple I am buying Microsoft Surface" when Microsoft went around playing mob boss also and says basically "Hey pay up for "protection" if you know what I mean *crack knuckles*"

Microsoft, LG Strike Android Patent Deal - Windows - Microsoft news - Informationweek
    Strange but true.

We had a Microsoft employee come here and out of the blue, he starts bragging about how MS makes money off over every Android device sold. Completely off-topic and weird. If you're gonna brag about something, it should be how good YOUR products are, not the royalties you receive from other popular products.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wonder who patented left click?
    You mean for user-interfaces? I think IBM did icon_wink.gif

United States Patent: 8140997
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    paul78 wrote: »
    You mean for user-interfaces? I think IBM did icon_wink.gif

United States Patent: 8140997

That is very interesting, actually, I wonder if IBM is trying to sue Apple, Microsoft, and Linux for the left click?

There is a difference between a patent for a motion to interact with a system (kind of like the motion you use to turn the wheel of your car) and the actual steering system of your car. Apple didn't sue on the accusation that Samsung stole and reverse engineered their code. They sued on the look/feel/interaction of a handheld device - which I think is not only trivial - but Apple was hardly the first to the touch screen interface. There is a difference between ripping off intellectual property, and having a market open to competition with competitive products. By their very definition competitive products are going to be similar. As someone pointed out, it is very unlikely that you will go into a store attempting to buy an iPhone and mistakenly buy a Samsung. That scenario is really what the patent system is for.

Take another example into consideration. In the last season of Top Gear UK; Jeremy traveled to China where they found multiple examples of companies taking American and European products and ripping them off wholesale, to the point where simply by looking at the profile, you could not tell the difference between a genuine BMW X5 and a Chinese rip-off. By looking at the profile of the Samsung and Apple, I suspect few people will have trouble telling them apart. The soviets were masters of reverse engineering, the Tupolev "Bear" bore a striking resemblance to the B-29.

Apple cant, or refuses to, compete on an industrial level with Apple. Steve Jobs made it publicly clear that he wanted to stamp out his competition from Google and it appears that this is the method they will use to make that happen.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think it will be long actually before a court find in favour of the the company getting sue'd. We can see that Apple and Microsoft don't go directly against Google, probable because Google have the financial muscle to go all the way and not be pushed aside.

The media is starting to make it clear to the public the stupidity of some of these cases and before long there will be a case where the Lawyers will not be able to convince people by using technical jargon and foots notes of patent laws. And will force a rewrite of how things are done.

the fact is that 99.9% of all current development is based on what is already out there, adding to or rewriting to make improvements. The current laws are broken on a daily basics, and unless you have money there is nothing you can do about it, what ever side of the fence you are on. The need to be made clear so its not a case of how much money you have, but much simpler is some one making money out of an idea you came up with if they are, is the idea unique to you, or was it already around and you have just taken it to market.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »

MS acting like Michael Corleone is irrelvant. Besides, you know how much of an Apple hater I am, in as much as the same vein as you love the Apple (business practices and all....)

I am buying Surface (though not right away...I'm gonna let the "first adopters" shake the Surface out before I jump on that) because of one reason: Native MS support. Whether it's RDPing and/or using MS Office (on top of web browsing/email I already do on my tablet), it just makes more sense to stick with the home team. Only reason I went with Android is because I truly abhor Apple (proudly!) MS Office apps for Android (understandably so) sucks. It's pretty much useful just to read a document, but never edit one. The rendering of the document is not very good with even the best Android Apps (Documents to Go.)
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    MS acting like Michael Corleone is irrelvant. Besides, you know how much of an Apple hater I am, in as much as the same vein as you love the Apple (business practices and all....)

I am buying Surface (though not right away...I'm gonna let the "first adopters" shake the Surface out before I jump on that) because of one reason: Native MS support. Whether it's RDPing and/or using MS Office (on top of web browsing/email I already do on my tablet), it just makes more sense to stick with the home team. Only reason I went with Android is because I truly abhor Apple (proudly!) MS Office apps for Android (understandably so) sucks. It's pretty much useful just to read a document, but never edit one. The rendering of the document is not very good with even the best Android Apps (Documents to Go.)

I am buying an HP laptop today (I think), I don't own much in the way of Apple I just like some of the products better like the tablet or Apple TV. Choosing a vendor based on morals though is near impossible was kind of my point.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□