Options

CBT Nuggets

SWriderSWrider Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums. I've been lurking for some time now trying to gain as much info as possible since I am looking to advance in the IT world.
Right now I am not very involved in networking. I deal mostly with industrial automations and Siemens products but I did have the chance to redesign our network, which included 3 switch stacks and 5 servers running Windows Server 2003. And from then on just basic maintenance.
I recently finished my degree with DeVry and I was very happy with their networking classes thru the Cisco Acadamy, and remember that the professor enjoyed using CBT Nuggets as additional material.
It's been about 6 months since I finished and almos 1.5yrs since my last networking class.
I want to continue on and get my cert for CCNA.
Are the CBT Nuggets a good source of overall information, and will they be good enough to cover all that is on a CCNA exam???
If not, what else should I add for study material???
Thanks for stopping by and reading everyone.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No, the CBT Nuggets are not enough on their own to cover the material. You should also read the books by Odom along with the CBT Nuggets to get a good amount of coverage and depth.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I started the LearnKey program through WGU and I hated it. I started using the CBT Nuggets and it was soooooo much better. Also, there are 2 main books that most people will recommend here I believe. There is the book by Wendell Odom (Cisco Academy) and one by Todd Lammie (Sybex). I tried reading Odom's book and it was very dry and boring. I asked one of our system admins what he used and he said the Lammie book is a much better read.

Just my 2 cents. I don't have my certs yet but I'm currently studying for the CCENT. From what I've gathered around here though is that with 1 of the books I listed, CBT Nuggets, and a lab simulator such as GNS3 then you should have everything you need to pass the exams.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, the CBT Nuggets are not enough on their own to cover the material. You should also read the books by Odom along with the CBT Nuggets to get a good amount of coverage and depth.

Good luck!
    +1 for this. This is exactly what you'll need in order to pass. Though, some people prefer Todd Lammle over Odom. I have both books so I have the best of both worlds. Lammle's book is very well written. Odom goes more in depth on each subject. The way I've been studying is; 1st watch the CBT Nugget video. 2nd, read Todd's book. 3rd, read Odom's book.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    SWriderSWrider Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started the LearnKey program through WGU and I hated it. I started using the CBT Nuggets and it was soooooo much better. Also, there are 2 main books that most people will recommend here I believe. There is the book by Wendell Odom (Cisco Academy) and one by Todd Lammie (Sybex). I tried reading Odom's book and it was very dry and boring. I asked one of our system admins what he used and he said the Lammie book is a much better read.

Just my 2 cents. I don't have my certs yet but I'm currently studying for the CCENT. From what I've gathered around here though is that with 1 of the books I listed, CBT Nuggets, and a lab simulator such as GNS3 then you should have everything you need to pass the exams.

Which book by Lammle, his study guide for the CCNA?
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree that CBT Nuggets is good material to watch, but reading will help it stick. They work hand in hand to me. Can't have one without the other.

In my case, I've read the Global Knowledge literature they offer in their ICND1 boot camp, watched all of the CBT videos for ICND1, tested on SelfTest Software for the ICND1 and plan on reading the Exam Cram book just for good measure. I've already ordered Lammle for my future CCNA expedition, lol. Good luck to all.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I started with CBT nugget, and i felt like i learn but something wasnt clicking. Now i switched to Train Signal, and have Wendel Odom`s ICND1 and ICND2 books. After i finished watching videos, i find the appropriate matching section in the book and take the "Do i Know this already quiz". And see which part i am not ready. Then read just that part and continue with Train Signal videos. Actually right now i am watching last video on Train Signal ICND1 which is Basic Security, then i will be done with videos and hopegfully the book. I will continue labbing and practicing, taking practice exams.

I see people suffer on subnetting which is my strongest skill thanks to Chris Bryant(Train Signal instructor and my good math knowledge:) ). I am little weak on Fundamentals of WAN, but still i do good on practice test.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Also, i took my own notes from video and book. Just the most important parts. So all i have to do go thru all my notes now and then and before the test. Dont just watch or read, take notes. I see that when i read or watch i can hold those information for a while, but writing helps me to hold the information, make sense of it and memorize it for longer period of time.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    CBT Nuggets + Todd Lammle 7th edition ccna book + packet tracer = ready to go

or

CBT Nuggets + http://www.routeralley.com/ra/completed/ccna_studyguide.pdf + packet tracer = ready to go
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    tbh, i don't like lammle's book =( maybe it's just me, but i just can't agree with it's formatting, errors (which book doesn't have errors), and just general style of writing =/

I find Odom's style more appealing. But the book which i find most underestimated is actually the For Dummies series. I think CCENT for Dummies and CCNA for Dummies are great resources, great books =)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    MischiefMischief Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using both CBT Nuggets with Jeremy and Train Signal for the video portion.
    Wendel Odom`s ICND1 and ICND2 books for my reading material.
    Packet Tracer for my Labs.

As stated watching the video then going back to read that section helps a lot, Good luck with your studies.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mapletune wrote: »
    tbh, i don't like lammle's book =( maybe it's just me, but i just can't agree with it's formatting, errors (which book doesn't have errors), and just general style of writing =/

I find Odom's style more appealing. But the book which i find most underestimated is actually the For Dummies series. I think CCENT for Dummies and CCNA for Dummies are great resources, great books =)

I hate the Lammel book because it's paperback, formatting sucks(i.e font, too small) and it's 1000 pages. I liked Odom's first five chapters but then it goes off with too much verbosity and it's 1000 pages! I'm sick of the verbosity of BOTH Odom and Sybex books coupled by they make it harder not easier to grasp and get it down cold. I want to read but not fluff, arduous and meandering way of explaining that both authors employ combined or in conjunction with making things harder not easier to comprehend which leads to boredom and losing interest in what is already extremely dry. I like to read but I'm trying to get certified and need speed of understanding on my side not longer reading AND harder to understand, slow and more boring. I mean, when you are trying to understand something and you have to read a LOT more then necessary and not less, it kills it for me. I find myself saying, just get to the point Odom or Don't make it longer then needed for both! What I do not get about either ODOM or LAMMEL is how in the world does an ICND1 book become 1000 pages and ICND2 is also 1000 pages if infact, ICND1 is basic theory and ICND2 is mostly if not all WAN protocols and labbing?! Shouldn't both books be a LOT smaller especially if ICND1 is fundamentals and ICND2 is mostly labbing? ICND1 SHOULD BE about generating interest in the fundamentals and I'm sorry but ODOM is so dry, it will leave you wanting to flee. Neither Odom or Lammel do anything for generating interest as referenced by all the posts of how BORING Odom is. I'm sorry but Lammel is only marginally better and not much better. Dummies book, by making things easier to understand, generated more fervor or intense interest, thru "success" in acquiring information, for me in terms of remembering and retaining the profuse fundamentals. If you look at the formatting, it's more concise with a lot of white space on each page and better laid out but most importantly, the author makes is easier to understand not harder! Success=breeds interest and long-term retainment of info! Thats what fun books help you do and neither of the top books(Odom, Sybex) do that!!. ICND2 should be just doing labs with only marginal reading for explanation, imo!! I wouldn't recommend either ODOM nor Sybex for anything but spot chapters(for me, it was only first few of Sybex and who knows for Odom, not enough to buy it) and for reference use for more details for exam that the videos or distilled study guides don't provide. Bottom line is minimal value for each and I've seen FREE Youtube videos more effective at making it easier!
  • Options
    Shouldn't the interest already be there? Why should any technical exam be about generating interest? Interested people should be going for the exams, not the other way around.

Personally I found the Odom books extremely interesting. The extra detail is perfect for anyone looking to really get into the nitty gritty and learn this stuff. Maybe not for the casual reader looking for a story to be told though.

And if you think these books go into unnecessary, dry detail wait until you start reading the Routing TCP/IP books!
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    There is Cisco academy and other ways to get interest , something like this - CCNA Exploration - Course Catalog - Cisco Systems

IMHO - if you are already thinking ICND1/ICND2 books are too dry and boring then I would seriously re-consider going any further. You can't have immediate gradification without putting some work into it. Ciscopress books last chapters ends on pages 655, not 1000.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started on Odom's ICND1 Book yesterday and I couldn't put it down. :)
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    I started on Odom's ICND1 Book yesterday and I couldn't put it down. :)

Ofcourse you would and this is not a personal attack nor flaw but you also have Desktop Services Engineer under your name meaning that's the best you got and that is your source for energy and you are working so that scenario is a LOT different then most students of CCNA here struggling to make ends meet. Different story. apples to oranges comparison. not making excuses because I plan on studying hard for mine when the time is right. Maybe the timing for you is right, right now so what. Mine will be in exactly 3 days when my NetAcad 4 class begins!! T minus 3 daze and counting!

TY Flooz for loving this book and not putting it down. At that rate, I expect you to be fully cognizant before I finish my course thus you can guide me properly!!
  • Options
    What does being a desktop support engineer (or any other job for that matter) have to do with anything?
  • Options
    kmusk01kmusk01 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned using Chris Bryant's Video Boot Camp course over at udemy.com. I just purchased this and so far it perfect. I already have my CCENT, and need to take my ICND2 exam before next April. Its a complete course for the CCNA, so I am mainly focusing on the ICND2 sections. Chris really does go into good detail I think and shows you ALL the commands that you need to know.

I have watched CBTNuggets video's and they are great to get some of the theory down, but Chris's video's actually show you what everything looks like on the command line. I actually made myself a lab within packet tracer and follow along with his video's. The best part about the video's is that you are able to download them so you don't have to have an inet connection to watch them. I copied them all over to my tablet, so if I find myself sitting around I can start on up.

Take a look over at udemy.com and you can watch one of Chris's lectures on OSPF for free to see how it is. I think its worth it.

Ken~
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Use the CBT Nuggets, the Odom books, and lots of labbing via Packet Tracer, GNS3, or real equipment (if you've got the spare cash).
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    SWrider wrote: »
    Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums. I've been lurking for some time now trying to gain as much info as possible since I am looking to advance in the IT world.
    Right now I am not very involved in networking. I deal mostly with industrial automations and Siemens products but I did have the chance to redesign our network, which included 3 switch stacks and 5 servers running Windows Server 2003. And from then on just basic maintenance.
    I recently finished my degree with DeVry and I was very happy with their networking classes thru the Cisco Acadamy, and remember that the professor enjoyed using CBT Nuggets as additional material.
    It's been about 6 months since I finished and almos 1.5yrs since my last networking class.
    I want to continue on and get my cert for CCNA.
    Are the CBT Nuggets a good source of overall information, and will they be good enough to cover all that is on a CCNA exam???
    If not, what else should I add for study material???
    Thanks for stopping by and reading everyone.

I've checked CBT nuggets. it costs one grand for one yr subscription, and $200 for one month subscription. That's a bit too much. Did I miss any deal?
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've checked CBT nuggets. it costs one grand for one yr subscription, and $200 for one month subscription. That's a bit too much. Did I miss any deal?

Nope those are the prices. My current job just got us CBT nuggets!!! w00t!!!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IIRC, they have a $25/day option, and there are less than 12 hours of video per certification. Whether CBT Nuggets is expensive or a bargain depends on how you utilize it.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What does being a desktop support engineer (or any other job for that matter) have to do with anything?

My thoughts exactly lol I am a fresh 22 year old college graduate, obviously I would not be in a network engineering role. I do get to stay for my companies network maintenance nights and have even got to configure 30+ 3750 switches for our home and remote offices. So I get a good mix of networking and desktop support experience.
  • Options
    DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the Kindle Fire with CCNA (Odom and Lammle) and CCNA Security (Morris and Baker). Its really helped to get more study time in. It sucked packing the books around, the Kindle is pretty sweet for a basic tablet. Also, I saved at least $10 per book by buying the Kindle version.
  • Options
    dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kmusk01 wrote: »
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned using Chris Bryant's Video Boot Camp course over at udemy.com. I just purchased this and so far it perfect. I already have my CCENT, and need to take my ICND2 exam before next April. Its a complete course for the CCNA, so I am mainly focusing on the ICND2 sections. Chris really does go into good detail I think and shows you ALL the commands that you need to know.

I have watched CBTNuggets video's and they are great to get some of the theory down, but Chris's video's actually show you what everything looks like on the command line. I actually made myself a lab within packet tracer and follow along with his video's. The best part about the video's is that you are able to download them so you don't have to have an inet connection to watch them. I copied them all over to my tablet, so if I find myself sitting around I can start on up.

Take a look over at udemy.com and you can watch one of Chris's lectures on OSPF for free to see how it is. I think its worth it.

Ken~

Ken,

I also have this course in addition to many other study sources. I like the combination of both Chris Bryant's ultimate study guide and the videos. Maybe people just haven't used it or not, but I have it myself and I like it. I personally think its a great deal for $79. Only think is the ebook is built for Windows, so I deal with it. Just means I have to fire up vmware when I want to read it, but it isn't a deal breaker.
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
  • Options
    MischiefMischief Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just checked Chris Bryant's site thebryantadvantage
    He has a 1 day sale going...get the series for $77.

Get Your CCNA With My Exclusive CCNA 2012 Bulldog Video Boot Camp -- without breaking your budget!
    On Fri, Sept 7, get a $20 discount on your enrollment!
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I just did the CCNA and i used the CBT nuggets videos and the Odom books, and lab on real Cisco hardware. Basically I like to use CBT Nuggets to get a great overview of the exam then check what i know/learned from the videos with the books. This way has worked every time for me. I did the both exams for the CCNA in 3 months total with a week of vacation in the middle with no Cisco experience
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with everyone else. CBT Nuggets is not enough alone but it is an outstanding resource none the less. I used Lammle's books and CBT nuggets to pass my CCNA. I could have done it without CBT, but not without Lammle.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I have read a few chapters from the ICND1 Cisco Press book, and it is a lot of information but information that I wanted to know. The Sybex book did not go into as much detail but also is a great book. As far as books go I feel like if you can read and grasp the knowledge from both books you will be golden. CBT Nuggets are very costly, and in my opinion should not be the a candidates only source. Nuggets are a great supplement. After reading the chapter in Cisco Press/Sybex a great way to make sure you know it is watching the Nugget and lab. Nevertheless CBT Nuggets have their place in a candidate's arsenal it just depends on how they utilize each source.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Did any body even read the op post? He already has experience and an education background in networking. CBT nuggets might be enough. Train signal and CCNA INE are definitely enough for CCNA and CCNP.
  • Options
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    I just did the CCNA and i used the CBT nuggets videos and the Odom books, and lab on real Cisco hardware. Basically I like to use CBT Nuggets to get a great overview of the exam then check what i know/learned from the videos with the books. This way has worked every time for me. I did the both exams for the CCNA in 3 months total with a week of vacation in the middle with no Cisco experience

I like this idea very much. Do you think I can do it in 8 weeks or 2 months if I'm taking an Exploration IV course in addition to the CBT Nugs + ICND1 book one-two combo you utilized? How would you have structured your Videos + book combo punch if you were taking a dedicated course 2 nights a week? It's all WAN protocols too so all ICND2 related! Reason I am asking is I want to take my CCENT within 8 weeks and ICND2 before end of year. Yes, I plan on enjoying this journey and will rejoice with joy with a cert at the end of the rainbow!